PDA

View Full Version : US Made 7.62x39 Barrels

7,62x39
07-14-2010, 2:08 PM
So I am in the process of building an egyptian kit with no barrel and have a choice between getting either a US made barrel or a romanian barrel. I was curious as to what your opinions were on the differences between the two, and if the US made barrel will do just as well as a romanian I would much rather go with that. I know that US 5.45 barrels are iffy, but not so sure about 7.62's.

Z ME FLY
07-14-2010, 2:31 PM
I would use a Romy barrel instead. 69Mach1 would probably say the same.

When I built my Maadi the old barrel pin hole on the Romy headspaced fine.

ae13291
07-14-2010, 2:43 PM
i bought a US barrel, very nice barrel and is very well priced. the main reason i went US was because i did not want a used barrel and i had to have threads on the muzzle end. if you can find i nice threaded romy barrel new for cheap then i would go with that.

nicoroshi
07-14-2010, 3:17 PM
I replaced the 'bullet hose' original barrel on my Yugo M-70 with a replacement made by Green Mountain specifically for my rifle (chambered, extractor cut, threaded barrel, and exact dimensions).
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6243/dscn3629w.jpg
The accuracy is the best of any AK I own. So much so that I justified opening the wallet for an Aimpoint for that rifle (which says something IMHO for just how good the accuracy was with it).
Yes I could have bought a surplus Yugo barrel for it for about $100, and roll the dice for what kind of condition it would be in but I figured for $55 more I would be SURE of it's condition (New, chrome lined (unlike the original), and unfired).
That was worth it to me, and I have no regrets what so ever about that decision.
Best $55 I have ever spent.

munkeeboi
07-14-2010, 3:52 PM
cogunsales has virgin romanian barrels. Since you're gonna have to drill regardless, i'd go with the Romanian unless you had no other choice

7,62x39
07-14-2010, 4:04 PM
Thanks for all of the input. If i went with a romanian barrel I was going to get one from apex, theyre also virgin with the extractor cut and threaded barrel, and I was thinking if I went with a US barrel it would be a chrome lined romanian style from arms of america. I guess to make my question more clear, i'm just trying to figure out if there are disadvantages to using a US barrel, which from the above posts it doesn't seem that there are. If the quality is the same or better, I dont see any reason to go with a foreign barrel.

nicoroshi
07-14-2010, 8:17 PM
As Z ME FLY points out the advantages to a pulled foreign barrel would be that the pin holes are already drilled for FSB, GB, and RSB. You may also get lucky with the barrel pin hole like Z did.

69Mach1
07-14-2010, 8:19 PM
I would use a Romy barrel instead. 69Mach1 would probably say the same.

When I built my Maadi the old barrel pin hole on the Romy headspaced fine.

I concur.

joelukehart
07-17-2010, 12:01 AM
I sold my 7.62 Maadi barrel to 69Mach1. Now my Reg AW Maadi Ak has a Bulgarian Krink conversion with a cut down Yugo M76 barrel.

Z ME FLY
07-17-2010, 9:07 AM
Thanks for all of the input. If i went with a romanian barrel I was going to get one from apex, theyre also virgin with the extractor cut and threaded barrel, and I was thinking if I went with a US barrel it would be a chrome lined romanian style from arms of america. I guess to make my question more clear, i'm just trying to figure out if there are disadvantages to using a US barrel, which from the above posts it doesn't seem that there are. If the quality is the same or better, I dont see any reason to go with a foreign barrel.

Also depending on where you get the US made barrel from well.... you might have problems with it. I have read from some people's experiences online that US MADE barrels are slightly out of spec. I mean while the original barrels are around, you might as well get one. Oh it's a used barrel? so what? It will probably outlast you and all the shooting you will do still.

Heck, I have even seen sewer barrel AKs shoot some very shockingly good accuracy and groups.