PDA

View Full Version : AK reweld party - Sept. 4-5

Pages : [1] 2

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2010, 8:37 PM
Well, this thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=320048

made me do it! I know nothing about how to do it but, let's give it a try. This will be a SMALL BP which will be limited to only a few experienced builders. This will not be an open to all BP like the rest of them. No garantees that we will be able to complete a single rifle but, let's give it a go!

Here's the list of potential builders so far:

ME
tujungatoes
69mach1
lomalinda

Here's a list of those who want to watch :eek: and/or help:

4thSBCT (I HOPE!)
Lyte-
TURBOELKY
mrlonewolf
Caiman
E-120
SJgunguy24
nagorb
eaglemike
Cali-V
veterosa
Z ME FLY
ElectronWrangler
nick
nicoroshi
Kerplow
kunofapa
Loner

Since this will be a VERY small trial BP with experienced builders only, I bet we can get it going soon. Maybe some time in Sept? I'm open to suggestions and guidance. Oh, the fees or donations will be determined by any expenses that ANY of us incure.

I think (hope) we'll need:

Parkerizing solution. I'll order it since we'll need more for the Oct BP.
A gas set up for my Lincoln MIG welder
Solid wire for the welder
drill bits and reamers
an extra welding helmet ot two
an extra LP tank
meat for BBQ
beverages
more beverages

I have a couple of angle grinders and 10-20 wheels. So, that should get us through the first day.

Well, if you're interested, post here or shoot me a PM regarding the "reweld party". Please, let me know if you want to build or just learn when you post your interest. Unfortunately, I will be very selective about who will be able to come. If this goes smooth, I'll have another one that'll be open to more people.

69Mach1
07-10-2010, 8:38 PM
I'm in.

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2010, 8:40 PM
WOW! A one minute response time. BTW, you were already one the list!

tujungatoes
07-10-2010, 8:42 PM
:party:

69Mach1
07-10-2010, 8:42 PM
WOW! A one minute response time. BTW, you were already one the list!

Did that sound too eager? I'll try it again...

I'm interested in your build party. It would be great to have some experienced welders around since I have zero experience. If I may come, please put me down. I can try and scrounge up a welding helmet by then.
:D

Lyte-
07-10-2010, 8:49 PM
could I come hang out and ride my quad :)

tujungatoes
07-10-2010, 8:54 PM
just bought me a kit. now if only i knew how to weld

TURBOELKY
07-10-2010, 8:54 PM
I have a little experience welding, and would be willing to help out, and ride around with lyte. If I'm not invited, I wont pout, I promise:D Oh, and I can bring beer. Oh, and shoot at rabbits with a .22

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2010, 8:59 PM
could I come hang out and ride my quad :)

If it happens to be here.;):innocent: Would you just be hanging out or, are you thinking about getting a milled kit?

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2010, 9:02 PM
I have a little experience welding, and would be willing to help out, and ride around with lyte. If I'm not invited, I wont pout, I promise:D Oh, and I can bring beer. Oh, and shoot at rabbits with a .22

Thursday evening, I looked out the bay window in my kitchen and almost got wood. There were three rabbits about 75 yards out. They were lined up perfectly to take all three of them with one shot! Too bad the window doesn't open. Yea, yea, I know. I just didn't feel like replacing the glass afterwards.

nagorb
07-10-2010, 9:02 PM
This sounds awesome! Got welding experience, too bad I don't have a kit or the money for one. GOOD LUCK!

E-120
07-10-2010, 9:05 PM
Definitely interested. I bring no skill, but can bring food.

SJgunguy24
07-10-2010, 9:05 PM
This sounds like fun, damn if I had a way down. I could bring my machine and a tank of 25/75 and I can run my machine on CO2. What's the duty cycle on your machine CSACANNONEER? How thick are the reweld plates?

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2010, 9:08 PM
This sounds like fun, damn if I had a way down. I could bring my machine and a tank of 25/75 and I can run my machine on CO2. What's the duty cycle on your machine CSACANNONEER? How thick are the reweld plates?

IT's just a Lincoln 110V MIG. Without looking at it, I'm going to guess it's probably about a 10-20% duty cycle. I don't know how thick repair plates are.

nagorb
07-10-2010, 9:09 PM

If I had a truck you would have a way down, I would love to go just to hang out.

69Mach1
07-10-2010, 9:10 PM

Please come. There's got to be a way of getting you down here.

TURBOELKY
07-10-2010, 9:13 PM
Thursday evening, I looked out the bay window in my kitchen and almost got wood. There were three rabbits about 75 yards out. They were lined up perfectly to take all three of them with one shot! Too bad the window doesn't open. Yea, yea, I know. I just didn't feel like replacing the glass afterwards.

Save them for me! I need to redeem my self after the last rabbit incident....dont tell anybody either!:hide: Man, now I want a milled kit.....too bad I did not buy any when they were dirt cheap because nobody knew what to do with them!!!!!!:mad:

Lyte-
07-10-2010, 9:14 PM
If it happens to be here.;):innocent: Would you just be hanging out or, are you thinking about getting a milled kit?

Just hanging out most likely I don't meet the requirements of the experienced builders :)

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2010, 9:15 PM
Builders will weld on a first to post here basis. That way, if it goes slow, we will have some way to decide who is next in line. I will step aside and let others go ahead of me.

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2010, 9:16 PM

Please come. There's got to be a way of getting you down here.

YES! Please come.

Just hanging out most likely I don't meet the requirements of the experienced builders :)

Sure you do.

SJgunguy24
07-10-2010, 9:18 PM
IT's just a Lincoln 110V MIG. Without looking at it, I'm going to guess it's probably about a 10-20% duty cycle. I don't know how thick repair plates are.

Ouch, that's not gonna cut it if the plates are thicker then 10ga, unless you run flux core, then maybe if you take 2-3 passes to get the weld done.
What kind of input power are you working with?

TURBOELKY
07-10-2010, 9:25 PM
we can always pull 240 from the panel if needed. Very cheap and easy.

69Mach1
07-10-2010, 9:26 PM
Builders will weld on a first to post here basis. That way, if it goes slow, we will have some way to decide who is next in line. I will step aside and let others go ahead of me.

I really don't want to be first. :eek:

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2010, 9:27 PM
Ouch, that's not gonna cut it if the plates are thicker then 10ga, unless you run flux core, then maybe if you take 2-3 passes to get the weld done. What kind of input power are you working with?

I'm not a welder but, I've done enough welding to know that I'm not. I've built one trailer that is still holding up after 17 years and various little projects too. What do you mean by input power? It would be coming off a 20 amp 110V circuit. I figured that it would probably take multiple passes. I do have a 220V Lincoln stick machine too.

I really don't want to be first. :eek:

We'll be gentle!

nicoroshi
07-10-2010, 10:34 PM
This may be helpful to you all. It's what I followed when I built mine.

vz58's tutorial (you'll have to register to see it but worth registering) (http://www.gunco.net/forums/f43/how-i-rebuilt-my-milled-aks-55-plus-compli-parts-30809/)

There is a 'rear end' load of fit up, grinding, and filing to be done so I am not sure if a couple of days is enough time for a few guys to actually complete one or not.
I wish you luck, and success though.

eaglemike
07-10-2010, 10:47 PM
I'd like to come watch.... I ummmm "know a guy" with a 220 volt Miller mig machine and big gas bottle. He bought it to learn to weld and do a job, but found out it was cheaper (timewise) to just farm out the welding. This guy also knows a pretty decent welder....... If there is someone local (to SD) with some experience maybe I could contribute assets...... I'm not sure where "canyon country" is.....
all the best,
Mike

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Canyon Country is close to Magic Mountain

SJgunguy24
07-10-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm not a welder but, I've done enough welding to know that I'm not. I've built one trailer that is still holding up after 17 years and various little projects too. What do you mean by input power? It would be coming off a 20 amp 110V circuit. I figured that it would probably take multiple passes. I do have a 220V Lincoln stick machine too.

We'll be gentle!

So you have a 220v avalible? My machine can run on anything from 115-230V 50-60 Hz single phase. If you have full paintball CO2 tanks I can use those as well. When are you thinking about this?

Cali-V
07-10-2010, 11:08 PM
I might be down for a carpool... I've got a truck, spare kit, small 110/220 miller tig, and if needed a band saw...

eaglemike
07-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Canyon Country is close to Magic Mountain
Not a bad drive. If someone knows how to run it, I could haul the machine up there. Do you have 220 available? Or just the above poster might be enough...
If so, I'd like to watch. Never done the AK thing, just a bunch of AR.
all the best,
Mike

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2010, 11:11 PM
So you have a 220v avalible? My machine can run on anything from 115-230V 50-60 Hz single phase. If you have full paintball CO2 tanks I can use those as well. When are you thinking about this?

There is 220 here. You tell me when you can come and we'll try to make it work.

E-120
07-10-2010, 11:26 PM
I would like to come up and watch and maybe weld over the holes in my saiga at the end of the day.

SJgunguy24
07-10-2010, 11:42 PM
There is 220 here. You tell me when you can come and we'll try to make it work.

It'll be tough but I'm sure there might a way to make it happen. For me it's hard with my family, I'm away all week and only get the weekends with them. This will not be a 1 day gig, I've never done a reweld yet, but there's a lot of prep involved with any weld job especially with the tolerances we'll need to keep with guns. My machine is 50 lbs and the size of a med large suitcase. So a truck isn't needed, but we'll need a full tank of 25/75 at least 80-120 cuft. and a roll or 2 of ER70 s6 (depending on how many guns and if everyone want to try welding).

The stubs will need to be squared up, clean and beveled to allow the weld to penetrate. If not there will need to be a gap to make room for the weld material. Man I really need to do one of these first. Put me down as tentative pending transpo.

Chuck P
07-11-2010, 12:24 AM
I would if you can run the root pass with gas Tungsten and filler rod. Then I would run the rest of the passes with wire.

veterosa
07-11-2010, 1:01 AM
I'm in to hang out and BBQ

SJgunguy24
07-11-2010, 1:06 AM
110 is plenty. It can do a lot. All depends upon the persons skill level. I find 110v better when it comes to guns as I can dial it down to easily tackle sheet metal.

here (http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=10898) a guy is tackling 3/8"

Here (http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=20883&highlight=110v) is a sticky on the 110v welders.

Freddie, do you remember the thickness of the reweld plates? If they're .125 or over thats gonna push that little 115 machine right to it's limits. That will mean a lot of standing around while waiting for the 115 machine to cool off.

SJgunguy24
07-11-2010, 2:12 AM
That you welding, for this BP there is gonna be a few guys there waiting to weld. I need to get a milled kit just to try it. I've looked at those receiver sections from Wiselite also. Thats the way I would go myself
, no holes to layout and the section is decked and squared up, so you just clean up, square and bevel the stubs and burn away.

Sorry bud i do not. I run my 110v at 30% cycle and I find it OK.

I did buy one set of plates when they first came out but let it go as i am cannot bring myself to reweld using plates. I have very few AK (non Yugo) milled kits that need rewelding and they are too expensive (at least i find them to be) to be using plates on them.

At the very least I will suggest the one piece milled portion available from WLA here (http://www.wlawarehouse.com/store_front/ak_variants/). Matt aka Turbothis is also milling these now, infact he has a complete rear end to offer (for non yugo AK's), which means receivers will need welding only on one location (well... left and right at the same spot so two).

http://www.wlawarehouse.com/files/5812/5456/0584/m70rep3.jpg

Welding up Yugos will be fun, specially the ones that have the complete lightning cut - they will be a walk in the park.

Most of the non Yugo milled kits (ie Russian) are at $1k or more, folks please do not ruin them by trying to save a buck or two.

If you have a Russian kit (matching) and its over your head, holler at me - i will trade you for something nice like a Russian 74U Krink. Matching up lightning cuts require equipment and skill!!

Sorry for being slightly off topic.. now back to it..

Peter W Bush
07-11-2010, 5:15 AM
I'm in! I haven't welded anything since I was 12 but I'll see if I can watch or get some practice before the BP. How can anyone say no to this?!!!

Z ME FLY
07-11-2010, 12:00 PM
How many rewelds do you think you would be able to do during the course of a day?

Just wondering since I know it takes a good amount of time if you want it done correctly.

SJgunguy24
07-11-2010, 12:08 PM
How many rewelds do you think you would be able to do during the course of a day?

Just wondering since I know it takes a good amount of time if you want it done correctly.

I haven't done a reweld yet, but it's not a slam bam kind of thing. The stubs need to get cleaned up and even if everybody has the sections and does the prep work first before the party. The receivers will need to get jigged up and checked for alignment. You can only burn so much at a time to make sure the heat doesn't start warping things.

This is all based on Nicoroshi's and VZ58 build threads, and my experiance with metal working and guns.

nicoroshi
07-11-2010, 1:37 PM
IMHO you guys will be hard pressed to get anything completed in one day.
The welding goes quickly. It's the fit up, beveling of edges, grinding, and filing of welds that takes time.
Some things that might speed things up for you, and give you a better chance of getting something completed are:
Cut the receiver stubs square to the top rail, and bevel the inside edges before the build party.
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/579/dscn3249q.jpg
Have access to a 4" grinder to take down welds close to the receiver sides (and a dremel for the insides) before filing smooth (takes quite a bit of time to file smooth even when this is done).
Have access to a metal cutting bandsaw (I used a porta-ban for mine) to trim excess off the bottom of the repair plates.
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4484/dscn3295n.jpg
Pre-cut the repair plates to the needed size (basically figured out from the length of the top cover minus 1/32" so cover can be filed to fit snugly when complete), and bevel the inside edges before the build party.
Create a jig for layout of FCG holes (off of the top rail, and chamber end of barrel), and also one for the mag well, and trigger hole before the build party.
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8850/dscn3313.jpg
Have an area available for people to work on weld clean up, and filing (suggest multiple stations with some kind of clamping device.....I used quick grip bar clamps to hold my receiver when filing/ grinding/ dremeling).

Doing this ahead of time would mean you could spend time actually welding the first pieces when you arrive, and cleaning up said welds before welding the next piece in.
It also means you could quickly, and accurately layout the holes for FCG, safety, mag well, trigger guard screws, and pistol grip screw hole when the file clean up of the welds is complete.

I still see this as a multiple day project for 3-4 builders (who have never done this before or who have never welded much) to complete a receiver even with the some of the prep work done ahead of time.

Personally I did not have any issues with the metal warping when welded.
With the bevel on interior, and opening cut on exterior after first weld on interior it was not needed to gap the seams to get complete penetration of the weld through the metal.
Since it was welded from both sides (inside, and outside), and both were opened up (bevel on inside, and cut on outside) making a solid porosity free weld was easy.
Be careful on reaching the top rails so they don't blow (drip) through from over heating. This can be repaired if it happens by turning up your wire feed speed, and adding tacks to the blown through section, and filing back to the needed configuration.
Stay at least 1/2" away from the locking lugs with your welds so as to not affect the heat treatment of them.

Couple of things I found using the plates I got from vz58:

I had to file the sides of the hammer to fit into the receiver since the plates were thicker in that area than the original receiver was.
I also had to dremel the bottom plate through the hammer axis pin hole as it was binding on the hammer spring due to it also being thicker than the original. Did the same to fit the trigger to the base metal of the receiver as well so it would rotate far enough forward for good disconnector grab on the hammer as well as for the trigger hooks to release the hammer.
Had to counter sink the axis pin holes so that the notch in the axis pins for the retaining plate was on the inside of the receiver. This also required filing the axis pins a bit shorter so that they did not stick out of the right side, and interfere with the safety selector.
Certainly not a project for the first time builder as it requires a knowledge of how the internals of an AK work together to construct/ fit.
The guys working on this build party should be fine in that respect.

Then basically just have fun with it. You should end up with something like this:
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/8940/dscn3321.jpg
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/2702/dscn3320.jpg
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4899/dscn3319.jpg

ElectronWrangler
07-11-2010, 1:41 PM
;)Interested in the party, but I'm not an experienced AK builder. I've got a Numbers matching M70 kit with a sewer pipe for a barrel, one set of repair plates from VZ58, an excellent M70 kit and a demilled receiver otw from Apex. I have zero welding experience, but I'm a former electrical contractor (license is currently expired) who can donate labor to facilitate any electrical connections for bigger welders, as long as labor and materials are under $500.00 to fall under the handyman exception ;) . I'm in the Sacramento area, with a truck, and can provide transpo to the build.

davidgpo
07-11-2010, 2:55 PM
That would be a cool project. Keep us posted with progress reports and photos!

Z ME FLY
07-11-2010, 4:12 PM
I haven't done a reweld yet, but it's not a slam bam kind of thing. The stubs need to get cleaned up and even if everybody has the sections and does the prep work first before the party. The receivers will need to get jigged up and checked for alignment. You can only burn so much at a time to make sure the heat doesn't start warping things.

This is all based on Nicoroshi's and VZ58 build threads, and my experiance with metal working and guns.

That's why I asked how many would one plan to finish @ a BP. I know the welding is probably the easier part it is just cleaning up everything that takes awhile.

nicoroshi
07-11-2010, 4:32 PM
If most of the prep work is done before the build party, and tools for easily cleaning up the welds are available I could see 3-4 guys being able to finish building their receivers in a weekend.

SJgunguy24
07-11-2010, 9:32 PM
That's why I asked how many would one plan to finish @ a BP. I know the welding is probably the easier part it is just cleaning up everything that takes awhile.

I would recommend these http://wlawarehouse.com/store_front/ak_variants/m70_repair_section/, I know it's cheating but it will take a huge part of the prep work out. Also if the layout on the holes is off your pretty much screwed unless you can weld. These receiver sections have the all of the holes done and the ejector spans the with of the section to keep it square while fitting and welding. That gets trimmed last.

SJgunguy24
07-11-2010, 9:34 PM
If most of the prep work is done before the build party, and tools for easily cleaning up the welds are available I could see 3-4 guys being able to finish building their receivers in a weekend.

Nico, how thick are those repair plates? Fredieusa said .16" at the thickest.

4thSBCT
07-11-2010, 9:55 PM
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/8940/dscn3321.jpg
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/2702/dscn3320.jpg
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4899/dscn3319.jpg

That hole for the trig looks little too low

SJgunguy24
07-11-2010, 9:59 PM

You sure about that? Proper stamped receivers have a slight bulge in that spot so the axis pin will clear.

4thSBCT
07-11-2010, 10:10 PM
You sure about that? Proper stamped receivers have a slight bulge in that spot so the axis pin will clear.

From those pictures it appears to be to low to me at least, It should still have some meat on it and not go into the beveled bottum but be just starting to touch the edge of the bevel

http://www.firinglineoklahoma.com/images/411_allside.JPG
http://www.ohiorapidfire.com/products/M70M.JPG
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/trevormoore1984/IMG_3348.jpg?t=1278911329

nicoroshi
07-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Nico, how thick are those repair plates? Fredieusa said .16" at the thickest.

Let me go measure. I will edit my post, and let you know.

EDIT:
BTW: Don't mind the 6.8SPC reloads in the background :P
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/5475/dscn4186c.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/3917/dscn4187x.jpg

Originally Posted by 4thSBCT

It was located off of the top rail using these dimensions>>>
Dr. Stranglove's plans from Pookie's website (http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/docs/templates.htm) I can tell you that the trigger did not require any filing below the axis pin to work but did require some at the front double hook cut outs in the trigger hole from the bottom to travel far enough forward. I would think that if it was low the axis pin would drag on the bottom of the receiver which it does not.

EDIT: It is possible it looks low due to the fact I rounded the bottom corners of my receiver. It does function flawlessly, and interface between the hammer, and trigger is good.
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/171/dscn4190.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/1936/dscn4195j.jpg

Video of 8 round rapid fire test (http://firingsquad.us/albums/Nico-Personal/8_round_rapid_fire_test.mov)

I am NOT a gunsmith by profession.
I have however done a milled receiver re-weld that now is a fine (flawless functioning since it was built....about 2500 rounds down the pipe thus far without a hiccup) rifle.
I am only trying to be helpful to those that wish to do the same.
Please feel free to make up your own mind what to do with your own kits.
I was not aware this thread was about critiquing my work on my own build but whatever blows your skirt up bro.

4thSBCT
07-11-2010, 10:21 PM

It was located off of the top rail using these dimensions>>>
Dr. Stranglove's plans from Pookie's website (http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/docs/templates.htm) I can tell you that the trigger did not require any filing below the axis pin to work but did require some at the front double hook cut outs in the trigger hole from the bottom to travel far enough forward. I would think that if it was low the axis pin would drag on the bottom of the receiver which it does not.

the pins widest part is only the small end that fits flush with the reciever anyway so It could be really low and still not drag on anything. From the pics it just looks too thin for comfort.

highlighted in red you can see the side is dimpled in where it is too close to the beveled edge
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/trevormoore1984/bbbb.jpg?t=1278912318
And notched on inside floor plate
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/trevormoore1984/jpg.jpg?t=1278984372

SJgunguy24
07-11-2010, 10:26 PM

Thank you sir.

Roccobro
07-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Is anyone going to do a GB on the repair plates? :D

Nico- you going to make your jig available for purchase or duplication?

I know I'm not "in" for the first party, but would like to be ready and "on the list" for the second or third one!!!

Justin

EDIT:

EDIT: It is possible it looks low due to the fact I rounded the bottom corners of my receiver. It does function flawlessly, and interface between the hammer, and trigger is good.
That was my take on the picture. It's hard to work metal for a personal project without adding personal touches. :)

nicoroshi
07-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Roccobro,
The jig is simple. Just make sure that it's flat, and the key stock (or in my case the tube steel) is 90 degrees to the base, and also straight. That is the part that will be used to align your pieces for the top rail.
I'm in Nor Cal so don't think I will be traveling South to attend.

@ 4thSBCT,
highlighted in red you can see the side is dimpled in where it is too close to the beveled edge
My take on this is that it's the other way around. The (more rounded than the picture you posted of the one that's just tacked, and not filed yet) bevel is into the hole.

So perhaps I got a little happy with the file when I was smoothing out the interface between the side, and the bottom of the receiver. Like I said, "I am NOT a gunsmith by profession". My bad.

Seesm
07-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Anyone have any milled cut receivers they want to get ride of cheap...? :)

Btw isn't a tig WAAY better to weld with for these? I am a great tig welder but I suck at mig.

I will let someone use my tig and my shop to get a kit and a cut up milled receiver.

I want to build my first ak pretty bad. I have helped others build them but not done my own...

Seesm
07-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Btw does anyone sell 80% Milled kits? I found some it looked like they did but could not find where to buy...

Z ME FLY
07-12-2010, 1:21 AM
Btw does anyone sell 80% Milled kits? I found some it looked like they did but could not find where to buy...

You are probably thinking of 80% stamped receivers.. Cold Steel solutions

CSACANNONEER
07-12-2010, 8:01 AM

That's what we will find out. This party will be an experiment to see if it is feasable to do these on any scale. That's one of the reasons that I don't want to open it up to everyone. I would not want anyone to be disappointed if their rifle doesn't get completed.

Are you talking about parts kits or 80% receivers?

tujungatoes
07-12-2010, 4:57 PM
I'm going to industrial metal supply soon to get bits for another project. I figure while i'm there i'll pick up the pieces to make the "jig" per vz58's article. and some pieces the thickness of the repair plates for setup and practice(i definetly need practice). can any of the veteran re-welders think of anything else i should add to my shopping list?

nicoroshi
07-12-2010, 5:24 PM
Make sure the pieces you get to practice on are of the same type of metal that the repair plates are. There are differences in how mild steel, and 4130 burn (as well as differences in how you should set up your machine for each).

tujungatoes
07-12-2010, 5:29 PM
Make sure the pieces you get to practice on are of the same type of metal that the repair plates are. There are differences in how mild steel, and 4130 burn (as well as differences in how you should set up your machine for each).

noted. thanks:)

4thSBCT
07-12-2010, 5:52 PM
I was not aware this thread was about critiquing my work on my own build but whatever blows your skirt up bro.

Your right, this thread is not about your work its about the build party. However you made it part of the discussion the moment you posted up your work as an example to others. Try to take it with a grain of salt.

nicoroshi
07-12-2010, 6:07 PM
Your right, this thread is not about your work its about the build party. However you made it part of the discussion the moment you posted up your work as an example to others. Try to take it with a grain of salt.
Fair enough bro.
Like I said, "Whatever blows your skirt up".
I am by no means a professional at this (which I also stated) nor do I want to sway anyone's thoughts they have for their own kit.
I am just trying to be helpful since I have successfully done what those attending this build party are attempting to accomplish (honestly I love building AKs, and really am jealous of the VERY nice kits I have seen posted here. If i had the time, and money I would probably be trying to attend this party myself to meet some others with similar interests).
If you prefer that I not try to help that's fine by me also although I do wish you all successful builds, and would be flattered if some of the things I learned doing mine was helpful to some of you.
In any case I can appreciate your keen eye, and concern for my own build so please carry on. It doesn't bother me a bit.

veterosa
07-12-2010, 7:29 PM
Fair enough bro.
Like I said, "Whatever blows your skirt up".
I am by no means a professional at this (which I also stated) nor do I want to sway anyone's thoughts they have for their own kit.
I am just trying to be helpful since I have successfully done what those attending this build party are attempting to accomplish (honestly I love building AKs, and really am jealous of the VERY nice kits I have seen posted here. If i had the time, and money I would probably be trying to attend this party myself to meet some others with similar interests).
If you prefer that I not try to help that's fine by me also although I do wish you all successful builds, and would be flattered if some of the things I learned doing mine was helpful to some of you.
In any case I can appreciate your keen eye, and concern for my own build so please carry on. It doesn't bother me a bit.

Niz build Nico. How we wish you are closeby to share your knowledge & experience.

CSACANNONEER
07-12-2010, 7:38 PM
4thSBCT,

Do you think that you would be willing to come up and share your expertise with us?

Nico,

You're more than welcome to come too. I'm not exactly sure where you are but, I grew up in San Bruno and went to HS in the City so, I know it's a long way for you to travel.

nick
07-12-2010, 7:40 PM
I'd like to watch it, not yet to build one (and I don't qualify as an "experienced builder" anyway).

Z ME FLY
07-12-2010, 7:50 PM
4thSBCT,

Do you think that you would be willing to come up and share your expertise with us?

Nico,

You're more than welcome to come too. I'm not exactly sure where you are but, I grew up in San Bruno and went to HS in the City so, I know it's a long way for you to travel.

Nico is in the Bay Area like me so it's a far drive for him. Maybe someone should PM Turbothis to ask his advice on the subject.

4thSBCT
07-12-2010, 7:51 PM
4thSBCT,

my expertise is in beer consumption not milled receiver repairs, I used a cave man approach for my build. I just used an akbuilder flat as a template, a welder, jig, a file, and my garage floor (I don't have a work bench). For the people who can afford those wise lite receiver sections, that might be the best option for saving time. Turbothis said he is making repair sections with the rear half even.(If we can get those I bet we could finish everyones the same day.) I will try my hardest to make it, I most likely will just try to help out since I have nothing to build.

nicoroshi
07-12-2010, 8:02 PM
4thSBCT,

Nico,

I am located in Concord.
East Bay just a bit further East than Z ME FLY.
I really need to pull the screws from 3 of my builds, and replace with rivets but lack the jigs or a press to do so properly. I could possibly talk the wife into letting me go if I have a good reason. I would love to meet you guys as I am sure there is much I can learn from you.
Do you think it would be possible to get a bit of help crushing some rivets (I'll pull barrels, and un-screw before I come down. I can get the barrels back in later as well) in exchange for a couple of heads of Kinder's Ball tip for the grill, use of my 4" grinder, band saw, re-weld jig, and help filing (if needed)? EDIT: Can also bring 220 mig welder (currently set up to plug into a 3 prong 220 dryer outlet), wire, and gas + welding hood(s) leathers, etc.
I used to drive down to Cal State Northridge about every other week 16 or so years ago when my wife (then girlfriend) was going there so the drive is doable.
If that sounds good I'll start working on the wife :D

CSACANNONEER
07-12-2010, 8:07 PM
nico,

I have a trigger rivet jig, long rivet jig and bolt cutter rivet jig so, we have you covered. We just need to come up with a weekend that's convienent for everyone.

nicoroshi
07-12-2010, 8:16 PM
Is it possible to do the trigger guard rivets if the rails are welded in already?
(runs off to start working on the wife so he can go)

EDIT: as for a weekend. I am pretty flexible. Let me know when works best for everyone else. I have a better chance with convincing the wife if I give her a date.

God Bless The Mauser
07-12-2010, 8:23 PM
Too bad this is so far from me, I could share my experience since I have no more kits, I built all 4 :D

CSACANNONEER
07-12-2010, 8:26 PM
Is it possible to do the trigger guard rivets if the rails are welded in already?
(runs off to start working on the wife so he can go)

EDIT: as for a weekend. I am pretty flexible. Let me know when works best for everyone else. I have a better chance with convincing the wife if I give her a date.

Yes. All 100% receivers have rails in place when purchased. Also, most people weld the rails in before they rivet the trigger guard in.

nicoroshi
07-12-2010, 8:31 PM
Cool.
Guess I'm off to AKBuilder for some rivet kits. The wife says I can go (I married a good one :) ).
Let me know what you need me to bring otherwise I bring it all (mentioned above).

tujungatoes
07-12-2010, 8:43 PM
well sh*t...here i was gonna say i had a friend willing to lend his miller 110 mig setup for this, but i see now it won't be needed...sweet:D

thanks for agreeing to help nico

nicoroshi
07-12-2010, 8:53 PM
Truly my pleasure.
It makes me happy to know that more milled receiver AKs are about to be born in CA.
Honored to be invited, and happy to help out if I can.

Seesm
07-12-2010, 9:33 PM
You are probably thinking of 80% stamped receivers.. Cold Steel solutions

My first AK HAS to be milled... not sure why I just feel it.. haha I SOOO wish people made milled 80%'s I guess I need to get a demilled kit and weld it all up!! Anyone have a milled kit they want to dump cheap?

SJgunguy24
07-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Cool.
Guess I'm off to AKBuilder for some rivet kits. The wife says I can go (I married a good one :) ).
Let me know what you need me to bring otherwise I bring it all (mentioned above).

Sounds like we need to exchange numbers. If you bring your machine and I bring my machine we'll be golden. You have a Nextel?

I am located in Concord.
East Bay just a bit further East than Z ME FLY.
I really need to pull the screws from 3 of my builds, and replace with rivets but lack the jigs or a press to do so properly. I could possibly talk the wife into letting me go if I have a good reason. I would love to meet you guys as I am sure there is much I can learn from you.
Do you think it would be possible to get a bit of help crushing some rivets (I'll pull barrels, and un-screw before I come down. I can get the barrels back in later as well) in exchange for a couple of heads of Kinder's Ball tip for the grill, use of my 4" grinder, band saw, re-weld jig, and help filing (if needed)? EDIT: Can also bring 220 mig welder (currently set up to plug into a 3 prong 220 dryer outlet), wire, and gas + welding hood(s) leathers, etc.
I used to drive down to Cal State Northridge about every other week 16 or so years ago when my wife (then girlfriend) was going there so the drive is doable.
If that sounds good I'll start working on the wife :D

Rivets, no problem. If you can't get them done there I'll have my tools built by then.

nicoroshi
07-13-2010, 5:20 PM
PMs sent to CACANNONER, and SJgunguy24. :D

CSACANNONEER
07-13-2010, 5:38 PM
PMs sent to CACANNONER, and SJgunguy24. :D

AWESOME! Since the two of you have experience, equipment and are coming a long way, you guys get to set the date (as long as it works with my schedual and doesn't conflict with the BP in San Diego or the AR BP in LA. I'm thinking that the early part of Sept. would work well. Also, if you guys are planning to spend the night, you get first crack at the upstairs bedroom.

nicoroshi
07-13-2010, 6:09 PM
How's this weekend? LMAO!
I am flexible so long as it doesn't interfere with making a paycheck. I also get every other Friday off (Union thing) so potentially could do something starting on a Friday (depending on the week. This week is 'Swing Friday' for me so can figure it out from there).
I'm there when you need me to be. Let others with more pressing schedules set the date.

69Mach1
07-13-2010, 7:58 PM
Truly my pleasure.
It makes me happy to know that more milled receiver AKs are about to be born in CA.
Honored to be invited, and happy to help out if I can.

Thank you very much for your help. Looking forward to meeting you.

Z ME FLY
07-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Cool.

LOL damn Nico is going?

Greg, if possible put me down as a maybe for just coming down and watching. IDK if I will have anything milled to weld.

CSACANNONEER
07-14-2010, 5:46 PM
LOL damn Nico is going?

Greg, if possible put me down as a maybe for just coming down and watching. IDK if I will have anything milled to weld.

Wow. This is starting to sound like a porn shoot. Just a couple of people actually doing anything and a whole bunch of people just watching.

Anyway, when I get around to updating the list, you'll be on it. I'm hoping to pick a weekend soon. I'd like everyone's input though.

Cali-V
07-14-2010, 7:50 PM
FYI... Apex has M70 Cut Receivers (https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_71/products_id/1543) $15.00 but no guarantee locking lugs are uncut...

tujungatoes
07-14-2010, 8:10 PM
FYI... Apex has M70 Cut Receivers (https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_71/products_id/1543) $15.00 but no guarantee locking lugs are uncut...

already on the shopping list.

CSACANNONEER
07-14-2010, 8:12 PM
already on the shopping list.

:D:43:

nicoroshi
07-14-2010, 8:41 PM

Hmmmm, depending on how, and where they are cut that might show promise seeing as the kits have the front (read 'locking lugs'), and back (read recoil spring, and stock attachment points) intact.
Sounds like a challenge but a fun one to be sure.

tujungatoes
07-14-2010, 8:49 PM
Hmmmm, depending on how, and where they are cut that might show promise seeing as the kits have the front (read 'locking lugs'), and back (read recoil spring, and stock attachment points) intact.

...if nothing else they'll make some wicked paperweights:D

nicoroshi
07-14-2010, 8:54 PM
Or nice steel to practice welding on (of the right thickness, and type) :D

Kerplow
07-14-2010, 9:29 PM
if your welders fall through i have a 180 amp output 220 volt 20 amp input mig with full bottle if you guys need to borrow it. it will weld 10 gauge all day long.

it looks like a TIG would be the sweet deal to do those. less grinding. i have one of those too, but its 700lbs and needs at least 50 amps of 220. i cant even run it at my house, kinda sucks.

SJgunguy24
07-14-2010, 9:34 PM
if your welders fall through i have a 180 amp output 220 volt 20 amp input mig with full bottle if you guys need to borrow it. it will weld 10 gauge all day long.

it looks like a TIG would be the sweet deal to do those. less grinding. i have one of those too, but its 700lbs and needs at least 50 amps of 220. i cant even run it at my house, kinda sucks.

I think the MIG is the best way to go, a couple of these guy ahve never welded before. I think TIG welding 4130 would be tough for somebody who's never welded anything.

SJgunguy24
07-14-2010, 9:34 PM
Or nice steel to practice welding on (of the right thickness, and type) :D

Got an order on the way:D

Kerplow
07-14-2010, 9:42 PM
I think the MIG is the best way to go, a couple of these guy ahve never welded before. I think TIG welding 4130 would be tough for somebody who's never welded anything.

i will agree wholeheartedly with that statement. something like this should definitely not be your first TIG practice. i kinda forgot the owner has to do the building to make it legal. ;) 4130 is chromoly, yes? i've actually never welded it. i've tigged mild steel, stainless, and some aluminium. i'm told chromoly steel welds quite nicely, though.

nicoroshi
07-14-2010, 9:52 PM
It does but requires more heat than mild steel of the same thickness.

Cali-V
07-14-2010, 9:55 PM

That's one of the projects on my bench right now... I'm trying to map out a cut/weld solution to save the left side markings...

Hell, at $15.00 per, you'd be hard pressed to beat that....
I think I'll take a few look sees...

Roccobro
07-14-2010, 10:12 PM

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/nielsenjt/IMG_8692.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/nielsenjt/IMG_8694.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/nielsenjt/IMG_8691.jpg

Kerplow
07-15-2010, 1:05 AM
just out of curiosity, how much load does the receiver actually bear? it seems like all this gas axing and re-welding would create quite a stressed lil' reciever with differing consistency in density, hardness, etc...

SJgunguy24
07-15-2010, 1:25 AM
just out of curiosity, how much load does the receiver actually bear? it seems like all this gas axing and re-welding would create quite a stressed lil' reciever with differing consistency in density, hardness, etc...

Not much if you really
look at it. All the pressure is contained in the front section where the bolt rotates into battery. The rest just keeps everything in line, holds the mag, and kicks out the empty case. That's why when your welding you need to keep the heat away from the locking lugs. If not they could weaken then you may have a very bad day.

77bawls
07-15-2010, 3:05 AM
just bought me a kit. now if only i knew how to weld

I know how to weld, now only if I had a kit.

Seesm
07-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Anyone local to me in norcal pic up a few and lets tig these up... WAAAY less clean up with a tig. WAAAY less. I do not have a kit but willing to help and maybe get a milled unit to weld myself...

nicoroshi
07-15-2010, 9:41 PM
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/nielsenjt/IMG_8692.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/nielsenjt/IMG_8694.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/nielsenjt/IMG_8691.jpg
The top one shows the most promise for use in creating a center section from.
It would still require some metal to be added back into the cut out section, repair of the interior rails at the cut (which would be tough to get a torch head into), and filling of the third axis pin hole.

Doable but more work than a set of repair plates from VZ58 IMHO, and the only gain would be the original notches for selector stop (which can be reproduced on new plates easily), and axis pin holes drilled already.

I am willing to try to help someone attempt to use some of these for creation of a center repair section but honestly believe it's the more difficult (and more time consuming) route to take.
My personal opinion would be that these are better used as practice pieces for learning how to create a nice weld on the repair plates.

SJgunguy24
07-15-2010, 10:06 PM
The top one shows the most promise for use in creating a center section from.
It would still require some metal to be added back into the cut out section, repair of the interior rails at the cut (which would be tough to get a torch head into), and filling of the third axis pin hole.

Doable but more work than a set of repair plates from VZ58 IMHO, and the only gain would be the original notches for selector stop (which can be reproduced on new plates easily), and axis pin holes drilled already.

I am willing to try to help someone attempt to use some of these for creation of a center repair section but honestly believe it's the more difficult (and more time consuming) route to take.
My personal opinion would be that these are better used as practice pieces for learning how to create a nice weld on the repair plates.

You are thinking like me man, weird, must be that sheetmetal thing;).

If anybody wants to give it a shot. Mcmaster carr has 6"X36"X.190" 4130 bar stock for 37$. This is what I would take a a good look at for practice and or milling your own plates.

Z ME FLY
07-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Wow. This is starting to sound like a porn shoot. Just a couple of people actually doing anything and a whole bunch of people just watching.

Anyway, when I get around to updating the list, you'll be on it. I'm hoping to pick a weekend soon. I'd like everyone's input though.

You never know about me.... I might end up finding something dirt cheap and using that as an excuse for a milled AK... We will see what happens. It's a maybe.

EDIT:: Also if there are too many people just watching you can take my name off the list, I don't want to crowd up things for you.

CSACANNONEER
07-21-2010, 4:30 PM
I'm going to order some repair plates from turbothis. Does anyone want to get in on the order?

nicoroshi
07-21-2010, 4:34 PM
Must........Fight .....Temptation........Of ........building..........more ......Milled AKs...........
:P
Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Stunnason
07-21-2010, 5:21 PM
I'm going to order some repair plates from turbothis. Does anyone want to get in on the order?

I would be down for a set. Just let me know how much and where to send money to.

tujungatoes
07-21-2010, 5:42 PM

yup. p.m. already sent.

Must........Fight .....Temptation........Of ........building..........more ......Milled AKs...........
:P
Looking forward to seeing you all there.

just give in. you can't fight it...."search your feelings, you know it to be true"http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/Nuime/DarthVader.gif

CSACANNONEER
07-21-2010, 5:47 PM
I would be down for a set. Just let me know how much and where to send money to.

Since you are not coming to the reweld party, it's probably easier for you to order them straight from him. He's charging $75 per set shipped.

Stunnason
07-21-2010, 6:00 PM
Since you are not coming to the reweld party, it's probably easier for you to order them straight from him. He's charging $75 per set shipped.

Gotcha, I thought there would be some kind of discount if you are ordering a few sets, but no biggy. Can you PM me some info so I can order a set, thanks.

CSACANNONEER
07-21-2010, 7:24 PM
Gotcha, I thought there would be some kind of discount if you are ordering a few sets, but no biggy. Can you PM me some info so I can order a set, thanks.

I didn't even ask about a GB yet. I was just going to order a few for our experimental BP and see how they work. If the BP is a success, I plan to host a bigger one with more builders. If that happens, We'll have to see if we can get a discount on a larger number.

CSACANNONEER
07-29-2010, 6:15 PM
Tonight I was going to set a date for this, get a list together and put it in post #1. Well, it's going to have to wait until tomorrow or Saturday. I'm between two fires right now with the Acton fire (I don't know what it has been named yet) about a mile away from me. So, I'm going to spend the evening/night watching the air show and getting a few things ready in case I need to BUG OUT.

69mach1,

THANK YOU FOR CALLING ME AND GIVING ME A HEADS UP ABOUT THE FIRES. I rushed home as fast as I could to make sure the dogs were OK!

nagorb
07-29-2010, 8:40 PM
Tonight I was going to set a date for this, get a list together and put it in post #1. Well, it's going to have to wait until tomorrow or Saturday. I'm between two fires right now with the Acton fire (I don't know what it has been named yet) about a mile away from me. So, I'm going to spend the evening/night watching the air show and getting a few things ready in case I need to BUG OUT.

69mach1,

THANK YOU FOR CALLING ME AND GIVING ME A HEADS UP ABOUT THE FIRES. I rushed home as fast as I could to make sure the dogs were OK!

:eek: Hope you and your family stay safe!

69Mach1
07-30-2010, 11:23 AM

When you have the chance, please include one for me. An M64. Thanks.

69Mach1
07-30-2010, 11:24 AM

69mach1,

Your welcome. Take care and stay safe.

CSACANNONEER
07-30-2010, 6:51 PM
OK, the date has been set for Sept. 4-5. If this does not work for enough people, it can change by a week or so. But, since no one seemed to have a preference, it should do. The list is current as of right now. I know some of the watchers may not show up and that's fine. Anyone else want to attempt a build? Or, is it just going to be three of us?

tujungatoes
07-30-2010, 7:13 PM
did you order the plates yet?

CSACANNONEER
07-30-2010, 7:16 PM
69mach1 just decided which ones he wanted yesterday and, I was a bit distracted. I'll get in touch with turbothis this weekend and order them.

SJgunguy24
07-30-2010, 7:47 PM
69mach1 just decided which ones he wanted yesterday and, I was a bit distracted. I'll get in touch with turbothis this weekend and order them.

Not gonna go for the receiver sections? Nevermind, I guess Wiselite has shut down.
I'm in for the moment, that could change with my work situation. I really want to get down there and help out, for the experiance and to finally meet some of you guy's.

nick
07-30-2010, 8:04 PM
I'll come to watch and hang out, but not to build just yet.

nicoroshi
07-30-2010, 8:08 PM
PM sent. I'm there dudes with welder in tow!

SJgunguy24
07-30-2010, 8:13 PM
PM sent. I'm there dudes with welder in tow!

I will call you this weekend.

Kerplow
07-30-2010, 8:13 PM
PM sent.

fxjets
07-30-2010, 10:11 PM
What city is this BP at? I have a wire feed welder and am pretty good at it. Newbe to the AK, lots of AR experiance. Will miss the SD party.

CSACANNONEER
07-31-2010, 7:43 AM
What city is this BP at? I have a wire feed welder and am pretty good at it. Newbe to the AK, lots of AR experiance. Will miss the SD party.

I'm not in any "city":D. I'm close to Santa Clarita though. So, think Magic Mountain. Anyway, this is more for experienced AK builders and an experimental build party to see if reweld parties are doable or not. If you want to build an AK on a stamped receiver (the common way to build an AK), I am hosting a different build party for that. You can post your interest in this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=310121

Peter W Bush
08-01-2010, 7:42 AM
Sad to see I'll be out of the country during this BP. I will definitely make it to the regular build party though! I'd like to hear how this one goes

CSACANNONEER
08-01-2010, 12:59 PM
I was just thinking that since, so far it appears that only 3 of us are building, I don't think we need to worry about setting up a parkerizing booth. The three of us can wait until the next BP to parkerize if that's OK with you guys? I don't know if we'ld get far enough to park anyways and it'll be one less thing to worry about. Is that OK with everyone? Or, is someone planning on parkerizing something else?

SJgunguy24
08-01-2010, 1:06 PM
I was just thinking that since, so far it appears that only 3 of us are building, I don't think we need to worry about setting up a parkerizing booth. The three of us can wait until the next BP to parkerize if that's OK with you guys? I don't know if we'ld get far enough to park anyways and it'll be one less thing to worry about. Is that OK with everyone? Or, is someone planning on parkerizing something else?

The clean up will be the time consuming part. With 2 machines and only 3 guns to weld that part should be done pretty quickly. Just make sure all of the fit up and beveling is done first.

CSACANNONEER
08-01-2010, 1:10 PM
The clean up will be the time consuming part. With 2 machines and only 3 guns to weld that part should be done pretty quickly. Just make sure all of the fit up and beveling is done first.

I have a feeling that we may be doing some of that at the party. That way, we can be guided by experienced builders. It looks like we will all be using TurboThis repair plates that I've got to order today. So, at least we will all be using the same things to start with.

nicoroshi
08-01-2010, 1:22 PM

Agree.
The time consuming part will be fit up, and weld clean up.
The actual time spent running beads will be minimal, and go fast.
Recommend at least a couple of dremel tools, and at least a couple sets of files.
If squaring up of receiver chunks , and measure, and cut of first plate is done before hand it will speed things up but not by much.
I am bringing my porta-band which will make cutting much faster, and cleaner than cutoff wheels or a hacksaw.
I believe that another helpful thing to have ready is welding coupons cut, and beveled for those that need to learn to weld to practice on before they weld on their repair plates.
I can see a few hours to get everyone who will be welding comfortable with their ability to run a nice bead.
I believe we can complete the 3 receivers planned in two days.
And SJGunGuy..........Where's that phone call bro?
And CSACANNONER.........Does Turbothis' repair plates have the rails milled or welded in already or is that something we'll need to work on at the BP?

TURBOELKY
08-01-2010, 7:00 PM
Right now, I'm just glad to be heading to the "compound" again......I really feel comfortable at that place. I look forward to helping, and I'm going to bring the 74 to snap a tack weld on the ejector tip to repair it. Hopefully since the tools will be there, I can bring some steel to make a new trigger guard jig.....

nagorb
08-01-2010, 7:32 PM
Looks like I'm gonna miss this one. Good luck guys, I expect there to be many pics!

69Mach1
08-02-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm good with the date, and with no park'in. I don't even think we'll get that far. My M64 kit should get here this week. Also, I'm glad your place was spared.

tujungatoes
08-02-2010, 12:14 PM
ive never parked any of my builds before. why start now?:shrug:

nico. the plates from turbothis have the rails milled in already.

nicoroshi
08-02-2010, 5:19 PM
ive never parked any of my builds before. why start now?:shrug:

nico. the plates from turbothis have the rails milled in already.

Sweet!
Makes it sooooooo much easier that way. I had to cut mine from blanks, and weld them in with the repair sections I got.

@69Mach1
O Ye of Little Faith.
You will have a complete receiver by the end of the weekend brother. It's not that tough.

Disarmed Marksman
08-02-2010, 10:45 PM
hi its kunofapa, I am actually typing ughhhh. Anyway I would Love to be able to come out to watch. If that would be ok with you. and I will give u a buzz to make sure I wont b an inconvience.

69Mach1
08-02-2010, 10:51 PM
hi its kunofapa, I am actually typing ughhhh. Anyway I would Love to be able to come out to watch. If that would be ok with you. and I will give u a buzz to make sure I wont b an inconvience.

Hope to see you there.

SJgunguy24
08-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Sweet!
Makes it sooooooo much easier that way. I had to cut mine from blanks, and weld them in with the repair sections I got.

@69Mach1
O Ye of Little Faith.
You will have a complete receiver by the end of the weekend brother. It's not that tough.

I agree with this :D I think we can get this done in a weekend. I was thinking maybe 7-10 guy's and an assembly line going. With 3 guns and 2 certified welders this should go smooth. I talked to Nico and he'll be running 25/75 gas so both of our machines should weld about the same.

nicoroshi
08-03-2010, 5:39 PM
Assembly line?

Not sure exactly what you have in mind with that.
I was under the impression that I could help, and tutor but the actual work on the receiver needs to be done by the guy building it for his own personal use to remain legal.

My thought was to first work with whomever needs help with learning to weld. With some pointers , and someone who knows 'what's what' to set up the machine Mig welding isn't really that tough of a process to learn.
Once the builders feel confident in their welding ability. It's about letting them use my jig, and clamps to line their plates up with receiver stubs.
They weld, then grind close to flat, and continue with the next piece fit up.

Not sure who's looked at VZ58's tutorial or not so I'll break it down for you all.
1.Square up receiver stubs (porta-band, and square with scribe).
2. Using top cover as a distance guide (minus 1/32" for a snug file fit of top cover) figure out required length of right side repair plate needed, and cut it.
3. Using a grinder or dremel tool bevel inside edges of receiver stubs, and right side repair plate (about halfway through material.....1/16" or so).
4.Clamp pieces into jig. Check (multiple times to make sure it right), and tack receiver pieces to repair plate.
5. Check again for flat top rail between all pieces on the right side, and for distance.
6. weld interior of right side front, and back.
7. Figure distance of repair plate needed for left side, and cut with distance of ejector face at correct distance from chamber of barrel.
8. Bevel interior edges of left side pieces.
9. clamp in jig, and do the check, double check tango followed by tack, check again waltz.
10. weld interior of left side (it will be a tight fit of torch head inside receiver but can be done).
11. Using a grinder or dremel tool open up exterior of all weld joints for good penetration (basically going to weld from both sides of plate but make sure the molten metal of exterior will blend with initial weld in interior for a solid finished piece).
12. check one more time for straight sides, flat top rail, etc.etc. etc.
13. Run a bead down all four exterior joints.
14. grind all remaining welds close to flat, and finish with a file to smooth sides (this is the part that will eat the time).
15. Check kit for selector stop plate. If it has one you can straight edge from bottom of front receiver stub to rear receiver stub, and cut. If not you need to leave it longer than that line to get the magazine to sit at the proper height.
16. cut (extra) base metal off side plates.
17. Figure size needed for bottom plate, and cut to size.
18. Fit, and tack it into place.
19. check again for correct placement.
20. weld it in.
21. more grind close to flat, and file smooth jitterbug.
22. layout, and drill FCG, and safety selector holes.
23. Using Trigger pin hole as center. Layout, and cut trigger hole (dremel, and drill bit with file clean up).
24. finish off back of magwell, and locate, and drill selector stop, and or trigger guard holes.
25. Clean it up inside, and out (dremel, file).
26. fit FCG, magazine, safety, Carrier, and bolt, etc.
27. disassemble when all is good , and heat treat ejector, and FCG holes.
28. Finish with your favorite coating/ blue/ park/ etc.
29. Assemble, and test fire that bad boy!

Wow.........
Sorry about the Wall 'O' text there.

I see myself as your humble welding instructor, and helper for grinding bevels plus an extra set of eyes to offer opinions, and share what worked for me with whomever needs it.
I am by no means a professional gunsmith but I have been welding for 22 years so believe I can help in that department the best.
My little rivet job (3 receivers already stripped, barrels pressed out, and trunnions fitted) will be waiting until everyone is done welding for the day as this is a 're-weld build party' after all.
I know I'll have fun helping you all out where I can (and eating BBQ of course :D).

4thSBCT
08-03-2010, 6:08 PM
I'm going to try and talk the wife into letting me come to this one. But it might be along shot since I just went to the SD BP

CSACANNONEER
08-03-2010, 6:26 PM

You're always welcome here.

TURBOELKY
08-03-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm going to try and talk the wife into letting me come to this one. But it might be along shot since I just went to the SD BP

:ban:

:D
c u there

tujungatoes
08-05-2010, 3:54 PM
yeah:mad:....so i stopped by my other job today to pick up a check and look at the schedule. one of our guys is going out for 2 weeks, and I have to work both f**king days that weekend.:banghead::censored:

So i guess I'm out. y'all have fun, and maybe i"ll cruise up after work one of the days and see some of the process.

veterosa
08-05-2010, 6:59 PM
yeah:mad:....so i stopped by my other job today to pick up a check and look at the schedule. one of our guys is going out for 2 weeks, and I have to work both f**king days that weekend.:banghead::censored:

So i guess I'm out. y'all have fun, and maybe i"ll cruise up after work one of the days and see some of the process.

I smell a sick call LOL, cough:rofl2:

tujungatoes
08-05-2010, 7:26 PM
I smell a sick call LOL, cough:rofl2:

If it was on a weekday, and my main job i would. but I just took the weekend off for the SDBP, and we're gonna be down 2 people that week. I'm pretty well stuck.

mydogsmonkey
08-06-2010, 10:13 AM
hey Greg, can you count me in for hanging out and watching?
thanks

Ernest

My-AK47
08-16-2010, 2:33 PM
I would like to come... Here is a link to one that is FOR SALE right now. Pretty sure he still has it. If i were you guys jump on it... http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=332199

nicoroshi
08-16-2010, 3:58 PM
I would like to come and just bought a kit. I found this one for sale on this forum and thought I would let you all in on it as it's a great deal. Here is the link http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=332199
Nice find.
Get yourself some repair sections, and 922(r) compliant parts, and you'll be good to go.
I know Greg was trying to keep this first re-weld party rather small, and to experienced builders to see if it was possible to pull off or not. I also don't know the lead time on repair plates (i.e. If they would get to you in time for the BP or not).
Final word would be Greg's as he's the host but as one of a couple of welding instructors that will be present to help out I believe 4 kits in two days is still doable especially if you have previous welding experience.

cal_ar_shooter
08-16-2010, 4:32 PM
I would like to come and just bought a kit. I found this one for sale on this forum and thought I would let you all in on it as it's a great deal. Here is the link http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=332199

Hey, this is a kit I have for sale. It's still available.

I think who ever buys it will be very happy.....

Rekrab
08-16-2010, 5:12 PM
I'd like to pop in and watch if there's stil space. Maybe lonewolf will want to carpool?

Lyte-
08-19-2010, 8:29 PM
I suppose I should get back to the project of fixing my truck axle :)

I would hate to have to drive of of my lil honda's up there!

CSACANNONEER
08-19-2010, 8:32 PM
I suppose I should get back to the project of fixing my truck axle :)

I would hate to have to drive of of my lil honda's up there!

If my Toy makes it, you Honda should. Of course, if you end up needing a ride up the hill, I'll meet you at the gate or in town and bring you up here.

nick
08-19-2010, 8:57 PM
If it was on a weekday, and my main job i would. but I just took the weekend off for the SDBP, and we're gonna be down 2 people that week. I'm pretty well stuck.

Would it make a difference if they were out 3 government employees instead of 2? :p

CSACANNONEER
08-19-2010, 9:02 PM
Would it make a difference if they were out 3 government employees instead of 2? :p

Wrong job. His weekend job is babysitting at a range.

Lyte-
08-19-2010, 9:06 PM
If my Toy makes it, you Honda should. Of course, if you end up needing a ride up the hill, I'll meet you at the gate or in town and bring you up here.

Most of my honda's have a very low ground clearance so much that they need blocks to get them up on flat bed trailers :)

I do have one that stock height but it would be more fun if I could bring the blue quad with me also :) and maybe the 50

Lyte-
08-19-2010, 9:07 PM
I left a message for my mechanic friend if he can come over tomorrow to look at the truck and confirm what needs to be done and hopefully do the repair so I don' have to spend my weekend messing with it!

nick
08-19-2010, 9:13 PM
Wrong job. His weekend job is babysitting at a range.

Oh, I see :)

CSACANNONEER
08-19-2010, 9:36 PM
Repair plate came in yesterday's mail (I didn't get to the mail box until this morning). AK builder order came in today's mail!

nicoroshi
08-19-2010, 10:36 PM
If you can Greg please post a picture of the repair plates (or PM them) so I get an idea of what to plan for.

69Mach1
08-20-2010, 10:27 AM
I really need to clean off the cosmo on my M64 kit.

markhu
08-20-2010, 12:22 PM
I'd love to join is as a non-welder. I'm new to g'smithing, but I used to work as a welder's helper in college, so I know how to wield a grinder, and I understand the concepts of fitting and cleanliness.

SJgunguy24
08-20-2010, 12:25 PM

Meet you in town? OK, are we going to hear banjos heading down there? Is everybody we see going to look eerily the same? :p

If you can Greg please post a picture of the repair plates (or PM them) so I get an idea of what to plan for.

Yes this would be good. I plan to bring some of the Chromoly plate I have to practice and just in case.

Whatever cleaning agent is used to remove the cosmo, make sure that gets removed. You want a clean surface to weld on. If I have any left I'll bring some denatured alcohol to clean up and remove any residue.

CSACANNONEER
08-20-2010, 12:39 PM
I'll get some pictures up tonight.

Meet you in town? OK, are we going to hear banjos heading down there? Is everybody we see going to look eerily the same? :p

Everyone? Der taint dat many ofus in dees parts. But, eyes sur dat weez all gone a look atch ya'll wit da same looks on r faces. Ya know, it'll be da same look dat we 'ave whens we sees a funny lookin' aminal at da zoo.:p

mrlonewolf
08-20-2010, 4:01 PM

WD-40 is your best friend.

Try it, you'll be amazed............. :D

TURBOELKY
08-20-2010, 6:54 PM

Interesting! Who would have thought that? How many beers did you drink before you used WD-40 to strip cosmo?:D
See you guys soon.;)

CSACANNONEER
08-20-2010, 6:57 PM

I use a small steam cleaner.

TURBOELKY
08-20-2010, 6:59 PM
Just leave it out on a table in the summer at your place, it will melt off!!:eek:

nick
08-20-2010, 7:19 PM
Interesting! Who would have thought that? How many beers did you drink before you used WD-40 to strip cosmo?:D
See you guys soon.;)

However he got to that idea, I tried it on his advice, and it worked!

CSACANNONEER
08-20-2010, 7:23 PM
Here's a picture of one set of plates:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p43/csacannoneer/002-7.jpg

Obviously, the bottom plate is turned over. It has rails cut too.

nicoroshi
08-20-2010, 7:34 PM
Thank you CSACANNONER.

With the rails pre-milled into the plates that will remove a couple of steps from the method I have done before with VZ58's plates.
Does the bottom plate have the ejector cut already or is the rail just longer, and you need to cut your own.
I ask because the distance from the chamber end of the barrel to the ejector face is one that needs to be set, and it would depend on the amount of material left on the front stub (after squaring cut) as to where the repair plate needs to be cut (2.3" if I am not mistaken).
It also looks like the sides are milled thinner so countersinking for the axis pins may not be required to allow for the retaining plate to fit into the notches of the pins, and be inside of the receiver.
Very Nice.
I look forward to seeing some in person, and helping you guys build out some nice milled receivers. :D

Afterthought:
With rails already milled into the receiver would this pose a problem with crushing the rivets for the trigger guard?
I believe that it may unless a tool is made to account for the offset needed to be on the rivet but still clear the rail when being crushed.
I will be fabricating one out of a grade 8 bolt for use on my receivers that need rivets (my rails are welded in already for the receivers I wish to crush rivets for), and it will be available to the builders also for their trigger guard rivets if needed.

CSACANNONEER
08-20-2010, 7:49 PM
It appears that the smallest piece is the ejector. It will have to be welded into place and shaped.

Lyte-
08-20-2010, 8:03 PM
I left a message for my mechanic friend if he can come over tomorrow to look at the truck and confirm what needs to be done and hopefully do the repair so I don' have to spend my weekend messing with it!

No call back from the mechanic.

How ever after helping a friend change his rear brakes and brake cyclinders today he left his Escalade @ my house and took my CRX (he already has one of my integra's, the stock height one I mentioned before) so having a truck to take out to your place may not be an issue if I don't get mine fixed in time :43:

tujungatoes
08-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Repair plate came in yesterday's mail (I didn't get to the mail box until this morning). AK builder order came in today's mail!

:jump:

Afterthought:
With rails already milled into the receiver would this pose a problem with crushing the rivets for the trigger guard?

not a problem. the trigger guard jig is designed to do them with the rails, and(where applicable) center support in place.

nicoroshi
08-21-2010, 1:01 PM
:jump:

not a problem. the trigger guard jig is designed to do them with the rails, and(where applicable) center support in place.

Argh!

Wish I would have known this sooner.
I built one today.
http://a.imageshack.us/img823/155/aaamergedtoolpicture.jpg

Oh well, It was fun to build anyway.

tujungatoes
08-21-2010, 1:10 PM
a man can never have too many tools:D

CSACANNONEER
08-22-2010, 5:02 PM
I guess we can play bridge now. We have a fourth (builder that is). Lomalinda wants to give it a shot. Like 69mach1, he doesn't have any welding experience but, he built an AK at my 2nd BP in Thousand Oaks. So, what the hell, we can let him try, right? Besides, we can probably talk him into bringing up an Uzi with a .22 conversion to play with.

tujungatoes
08-23-2010, 1:06 PM
I guess we can play bridge now. We have a fourth (builder that is). Lomalinda wants to give it a shot. Like 69mach1, he doesn't have any welding experience but, he built an AK at my 2nd BP in Thousand Oaks. So, what the hell, we can let him try, right? Besides, we can probably talk him into bringing up an Uzi with a .22 conversion to play with.

cool! glad someone else is gonna build.

also you seem to forget that my welding experience is VERY minimal. I see fail in our future....:D

CSACANNONEER
08-23-2010, 2:35 PM

also you seem to forget that my welding experience is VERY minimal. I see fail in our future....:D

I'm far from a certified welder myself. I did all the welding when I built my trailer but, that was in '93. Since then, I've only done some small stuff.

SJgunguy24
08-23-2010, 2:42 PM

I won't let you fail. Nico seems to be a pretty good teacher, I'm not sure if I can teach as well as he can but I am certified........to weld:D so I won't let you fail. I have some Chromoly plate steel to run some coupons with to make sure you guys have the beveling and welding figured out before you start burning on the kits.

nicoroshi
08-23-2010, 4:26 PM
Agreed. No Failing in my class! LMAO.
You guys will be surprised. I had Z Me Fly running nice looking beads with my mig in about 8 minutes.
Things to remember:
Watch the puddle......NOT the arc.
Keep that arc length short (New welders have a tendency to rise higher as they run the bead which is not good).
Consistent speed. No moving fast then slow when making a straight run. The wire speed, and heat will do the rest.
Always tack both sides before you run between them. If you don't the gap will grow.
Last, and most important. DON'T try to pick up something you just welded with your bare hands. :p
Your ears are your friend. You can hear when your speed, and arc length are correct. Think 'Bacon frying in a pan sizzle'.
There's a couple more tricks I can teach when I am there for ending a run without blowing through, etc.
The most difficult part will be the (required) interior weld for the second side plate since it's tough to get the torch head in there, and still see what you're doing.
I figure maybe an hour or two, and everyone there will be good to go for running a nice bead.
Mig with shield gas is about the easiest weld method out there IMHO. No slag, and very little to no smoke to block your view. Filler metal speed, and heat already set, and no need to adjust on the go (like with Stick you need to continue to push the stick lower as it burns, and with Tig the heat is controlled normally with a foot petal, and filler metal is added with your off-hand).
Much more simple than Tig or even Stick welding.

I will be bringing two hoods with quick change lenses, and at least two sets of welding gloves. Also got a hold of my buddy who works for Airgas, and will be picking up a fresh bottle of 75% Argon 25% CO2 before the trip down.
The quick change lenses are nice as you can see through them before you strike the arc, and they auto darken faster than your eye can adjust when the arc is struck. This makes it much easier to see where your starting, and get set up before everything is dark.

69Mach1
08-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Agreed. No Failing in my class! LMAO.
You guys will be surprised. I had Z Me Fly running nice looking beads with my mig in about 8 minutes.
Things to remember:
Watch the puddle......NOT the arc.
Keep that arc length short (New welders have a tendency to rise higher as they run the bead which is not good).
Consistent speed. No moving fast then slow when making a straight run. The wire speed, and heat will do the rest.
Always tack both sides before you run between them. If you don't the gap will grow.
Last, and most important. DON'T try to pick up something you just welded with your bare hands. :p
Your ears are your friend. You can hear when your speed, and arc length are correct. Think 'Bacon frying in a pan sizzle'.
There's a couple more tricks I can teach when I am there for ending a run without blowing through, etc.
The most difficult part will be the (required) interior weld for the second side plate since it's tough to get the torch head in there, and still see what you're doing.
I figure maybe an hour or two, and everyone there will be good to go for running a nice bead.
Mig with shield gas is about the easiest weld method out there IMHO. No slag, and very little to no smoke to block your view. Filler metal speed, and heat already set, and no need to adjust on the go (like with Stick you need to continue to push the stick lower as it burns, and with Tig the heat is controlled normally with a foot petal, and filler metal is added with your off-hand).
Much more simple than Tig or even Stick welding.

I will be bringing two hoods with quick change lenses, and at least two sets of welding gloves. Also got a hold of my buddy who works for Airgas, and will be picking up a fresh bottle of 75% Argon 25% CO2 before the trip down.
The quick change lenses are nice as you can see through them before you strike the arc, and they auto darken faster than your eye can adjust when the arc is struck. This makes it much easier to see where your starting, and get set up before everything is dark.

god, I can't wait to get started. Thanks for making it sound easy. :D
I should pick up a welding mask just so there are enough to go around. What do you recommend? Thanks.

69Mach1
08-24-2010, 10:42 PM

Yes this would be good. I plan to bring some of the Chromoly plate I have to practice and just in case.

Whatever cleaning agent is used to remove the cosmo, make sure that gets removed. You want a clean surface to weld on. If I have any left I'll bring some denatured alcohol to clean up and remove any residue.

Thanks guys. The WD-40 and denatured alcohol were picked up. See ya'll there.

69Mach1
08-24-2010, 10:44 PM
I won't let you fail. Nico seems to be a pretty good teacher, I'm not sure if I can teach as well as he can but I am certified........to weld:D so I won't let you fail. I have some Chromoly plate steel to run some coupons with to make sure you guys have the beveling and welding figured out before you start burning on the kits.

Thanks.

69Mach1
08-24-2010, 10:45 PM

I've been badgering him for months to come. :43:

4thSBCT
08-24-2010, 11:17 PM

I used a one sided approach for the 2nd plate to avoid that nasty one inch wide working space all together..
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/trevormoore1984/weld.jpg?t=1282715753

I find it much easier to make a LARGE 45 degree bevel that just touches at the interior. One pass usually fills it up nice enough to keep grinding and filing to a minimum on the posterior. If you don't fill it the first go around you can always make another pass covering the area you might have missed.

Heres mine, sealed her up just perfect in the back so all I had to do was a very minimal touch up with a dremel....Not bad for 12 beers deep, you can even see where I accidently started welding up the selector lever hole lol
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/trevormoore1984/weld-1.jpg?t=1282716578

CSACANNONEER
08-25-2010, 6:48 AM
69mach1,

Do not buy a hood. There will be enough to go around. The welding should be the fast part. I'm guessing about an hour or two each and, that's because none of us are certified welders. If you want your own hood, I recommend waiting until you see a few different ones first. This is one thing that I won't buy from HF. I just can't justify saving a little cash and risking my eyesight!

SJgunguy24
08-25-2010, 7:54 AM
69mach1,

Do not buy a hood. There will be enough to go around. The welding should be the fast part. I'm guessing about an hour or two each and, that's because none of us are certified welders. If you want your own hood, I recommend waiting until you see a few different ones first. This is one thing that I won't buy from HF. I just can't justify saving a little cash and risking my eyesight!

Actually the HF hood does a good job. I don't have the 150$ for a cheap auto hood or the 300$ for the nice speedglass. My only issue with the HF hood is the knob moves too easy, I have to make sure it's turned down so I can see. I have welded aluminum with the TIG process and it does fine.

Lyte-
08-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Okay since I am just coming to Hang out I have the folding stock from my Yugo kit that had a break in it. You think you guys would teach me how to/ let me weld that to fix it for the build party in Oct?

other then that what should I bring?

I will most likely just come hang out 1 day

mrlonewolf
08-25-2010, 3:47 PM
Okay since I am just coming to Hang out I have the folding stock from my Yugo kit that had a break in it. You think you guys would teach me how to/ let me weld that to fix it for the build party in Oct?

other then that what should I bring?

I will most likely just come hang out 1 day

Ice, Ice cold domestic beer, more Ice, some Ice cold imported beer, more Ice and, last but not least.....more beer ( remember it's going a be a hot day, the welders get thirsty and Turbo is going to be there).

* Edit. Oh, and we may need some food, you can bring a can of peanuts, we'll be ok.

tujungatoes
08-25-2010, 4:01 PM
There's a vallarta right by my work. I can pick up some carne asada on my way up.

SJgunguy24
08-25-2010, 4:07 PM
Ice, Ice cold domestic beer, more Ice, some Ice cold imported beer, more Ice and, last but not least.....more beer ( remember it's going a be a hot day, the welders get thirsty and Turbo is going to be there).

* Edit. Oh, and we may need some food, you can bring a can of peanuts, we'll be ok.

Water would be good too, not everybody partakes in alcoholic beverages.

mrlonewolf
08-25-2010, 4:16 PM

Of course, water is always there, that's not a problem.

It just happen that Turbo doesn't like water............ :rofl2:

CSACANNONEER
08-25-2010, 4:42 PM

Nah, I have a few big bags of peanuts and maybe a bag or two of trail mix too. If anyone brings nuts (no that doesn't mean whoever car pools with Turbo), bring ones still in the shell. Oh yea, Since I'll forget about this, don't hesitate to ask me to bring them out!

mrlonewolf
08-25-2010, 4:47 PM
I think this is the first post from you where you don't say to bring ICE TEA. Never understood the Ice Tea thing since I only see you drinking beer at these events.

Yep.

My first 4 hours are based in a gallon of ice tea, after that, well.......:)

tujungatoes
08-25-2010, 5:31 PM
question for those in the know...standard rivets for the trigger guard, or are they longer for milled rec.?

mrlonewolf
08-25-2010, 5:48 PM
question for those in the know...standard rivets for the trigger guard, or are they longer for milled rec.?

^^^^ This.

nicoroshi
08-25-2010, 5:56 PM
I used a one sided approach for the 2nd plate to avoid that nasty one inch wide working space all together..
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/trevormoore1984/weld.jpg?t=1282715753

I find it much easier to make a LARGE 45 degree bevel that just touches at the interior. One pass usually fills it up nice enough to keep grinding and filing to a minimum on the posterior. If you don't fill it the first go around you can always make another pass covering the area you might have missed.

Heres mine, sealed her up just perfect in the back so all I had to do was a very minimal touch up with a dremel....Not bad for 12 beers deep, you can even see where I accidently started welding up the selector lever hole lol
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/trevormoore1984/weld-1.jpg?t=1282716578

Very Nice, and a good option for that pesky interior second weld.
I ended up doing a double sided approach since I wished to keep the heat down a bit, and not fill too much on the exterior.
Both are possible, and will work for that application.

Actually the HF hood does a good job. I don't have the 150$ for a cheap auto hood or the 300$ for the nice speedglass. My only issue with the HF hood is the knob moves too easy, I have to make sure it's turned down so I can see. I have welded aluminum with the TIG process and it does fine.
One of my hoods is a HF special.
$30 for a quick change adjustable darkness hood.
Agreed that with 3 hoods coming we're good to go in that department so no need to buy one.

Agreed. Personally only drink once a year but end up staying drunk for a week straight when I am on my yearly Vegas trip (without family) with my gaming clan brothers at Firingsquad.us (see avatar). Would much rather be sober around the kids, family, and if there are power tools, and hot metal involved.

Nope same length.

I plan on bringing a couple of heads of ball tip for the grill. Should be enough meat for 10-15 guys for one meal. Help me out by bringing some garlic bread or other sides for it, and I promise to share. (BTW: It goes well with beer too :D).

god, I can't wait to get started. Thanks for making it sound easy.

It is easy with a little instruction. You'll see. ;)

CSACANNONEER
08-25-2010, 6:01 PM

I don't know but, the repair plates came with rivets! So, no worries, you already have the same ones that turbothis uses.

BTW, I have a hood too.

tujungatoes
08-25-2010, 6:05 PM
thanks nico:)

*edit*
I don't know but, the repair plates came with rivets! So, no worries, you already have the same ones that turbothis uses.

BTW, I have a hood too.

damnit! oh well...this way my sten kit wont be lonely on it's way here.:43:

CSACANNONEER
08-25-2010, 6:36 PM
Did you say Sten BP? Let's do one thing at a time. But, we'll talk about it in less than 2 weeks.

TURBOELKY
08-25-2010, 8:40 PM
Agreed. Personally only drink once a year at build parties with other serious beer professionals Would much rather be sober around the kids,but with regular beer drinkers, no worries at all. If there are power tools, and hot metal involved, I too would appreciate an ice cold beer instead of water, who wouldn't??!!!
fixed it for ya'!

I plan on bringing a couple of heads of ball tip for the grill. Should be enough meat for 10-15 guys for one meal. Help me out by bringing some garlic bread or other sides for it, and I promise to share. (BTW: It goes well with beer too :D).

It is easy with a little instruction. You'll see. ;)

So, now that this subject is all cleared up, I cant wait to practice drawing my pistol from its holster after a 12 pack, I'll bring my steel toe boots, who's with me!!:nuts:

nicoroshi
08-25-2010, 8:45 PM
So, now that this subject is all cleared up, I cant wait to practice drawing my pistol from its holster after a 12 pack, I'll bring my steel toe boots, who's with me!!:nuts:

ROFLMAO!

Lyte-
08-26-2010, 2:53 PM

Hahaa as a non beer drinker I doubt you want me bringing beer :o

and Im allergic to nuts so your on your own here also :)

I will bring a case of water how ever :)

Lyte-
08-26-2010, 2:57 PM

I am fairly sure I saw you doing this at the last build party and possibly at the BLM shoot...:43:

CSACANNONEER
08-26-2010, 8:23 PM
Well, since this is a small BP by invitation only, I'm not renting a port-a-potty. Instead, everyone will be using the upstairs bathroom. That said, remember to be careful around here. I just took the dogs out to go potty about 7:30. While they were running off lead, I decided to water my wife's plants and found this:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p43/csacannoneer/snakes/002.jpg

The door above him is the door to the bathroom everyone (but me) will be using.:rofl2: At least there will be hor' dorves at the BP.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p43/csacannoneer/snakes/003.jpg

Remember that LOC is encouraged. Just think about where your projectile(s) will end up. I was careful not to break the glass door any further or get a dirrect hit on the hot water heater but, I did get a little bit of shot bouncing back at me. I have plenty of homebrewed .38 shotshells so, bring your .38s!

tujungatoes
08-26-2010, 9:35 PM
I didn't try the culebra asada last time...what kind of marinade do you use for rattlesnake anyway?

CSACANNONEER
08-26-2010, 9:38 PM
When abesnake and I BBQed a couple, we just used BBQ sauce.

bedan86
08-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Greg, can I hang around and watch? I will can bring some beef patties if somebody can bring some buns.
Jojo

bedan86
08-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Greg, where did you get your repair plates?

69Mach1
08-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Here's a picture of one set of plates:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p43/csacannoneer/002-7.jpg

Obviously, the bottom plate is turned over. It has rails cut too.

CSA, can you please post some pic's of the M64 plates and bottom piece. I just realized the M64 does not use a selector stop and has a "hump" in the bottom of the rec. The back of the rec. also has lightening cuts as well.

veterosa
08-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Greg, can I hang around and watch? I will can bring some beef patties if somebody can bring some buns.
Jojo

CU there.

CSACANNONEER
08-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Greg, where did you get your repair plates?

Turbothis makes them.

mrlonewolf
08-27-2010, 3:26 PM
I'll be there again with plate in hand. Last one was pretty tasty.

^^^^^ This.................:drool5:

CSACANNONEER
08-28-2010, 6:15 PM
CSA, can you please post some pic's of the M64 plates and bottom piece. I just realized the M64 does not use a selector stop and has a "hump" in the bottom of the rec. The back of the rec. also has lightening cuts as well.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p43/csacannoneer/AK/001.jpg

CSACANNONEER
09-02-2010, 6:32 PM
So, is anyone planning on coming here Friday night?

nicoroshi
09-02-2010, 6:57 PM
Saturday morning for me around 9-9:30AM with welding supplies, meat for BBQ, and .22LR AR in the bed of the truck.

CSACANNONEER
09-02-2010, 7:07 PM
I just spoke with a neighbor and he asked us to keep the shooting to a minimum due to the dry brush. Also, there will be NO MAGNETIC ammo fired until it rains.

nicoroshi
09-02-2010, 8:30 PM
Well, strike the .22LR then. Good thing I'm going to the range tomorrow to get my shooting fix out of my system before the BP :)

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2010, 7:02 AM
.22lrs should be fine.

Lyte-
09-03-2010, 9:00 AM
So, is anyone planning on coming here Friday night?

You got anything going on tonight?

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2010, 1:00 PM
You got anything going on tonight?

I just want to know if I should expect anyone tonight or, if I can run around naked all night?

Lyte-
09-03-2010, 1:21 PM
Hahaha as you were then :) ill show up in the morning :)

AndrewMendez
09-03-2010, 1:32 PM
I just want to know if I should expect anyone tonight or, if I can run around naked all night?

If your running around naked, I am assuming MrLoneWolf is coming early!

Did I miss the start time?

nicoroshi
09-03-2010, 1:32 PM
.22lrs should be fine.

Sweet! .22LR back on then :D

I picked up 4 heads of Ball tip (roughly 7.5 lbs of meat) today for BBQ tomorrow. Somebody please bring some sides for it or we'll just be gorging on beef.

Lyte-
09-03-2010, 1:41 PM
Sweet! .22LR back on then :D

I picked up 4 heads of Ball tip (roughly 7.5 lbs of meat) today for BBQ tomorrow. Somebody please bring some sides for it or we'll just be gorging on beef.

what type of sides would you suggest to go along with that?

tujungatoes
09-03-2010, 3:29 PM
If your running around naked, I am assuming MrLoneWolf is coming early!

LOL

Somebody please bring some sides for it or we'll just be gorging on beef.

and the problem with that would be....:confused:

I can bring some corn on the cob or some such. keep in mind i wont be there till about 6.:(

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2010, 3:34 PM
Toes,

The problem with an all beef BBQ is that there won't be any pork!

A case of cheap burger patties are coming and I'm stopping to pick up a bunch of buns on the way home.

Lyte-,

So it's OK if I ride your quad around tonight..........naked. Right?????

BTW, I changged the oil and oil filter in it just to be nice. Do you know how hard it was finding a 2 stroke oil filter?

AndrewMendez
09-03-2010, 3:36 PM
Hey CSA, are the "things" I am working on top secret, or do you guys want pics? And what time tomorrow?

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2010, 3:38 PM
I don't have a clue. Hey, can I supply my own brand new thing for you to ......?

AndrewMendez
09-03-2010, 3:39 PM
I don't have a clue. Hey, can I supply my own brand new thing for you to ......?

Uhhhh.....uhhh....I think it depends on what it is. (looks around) Are people just showing up randomly?

Lyte-
09-03-2010, 3:41 PM
Haha clean the air filter since I took the airbox cover off for it to run better :) thanks for changing the oil filter you should have told me you wanted to change it. I have them sitting around :)

Oh and please lysol the seat if your riding it in your birthday suit! Hahaha

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2010, 3:41 PM
Uhhhh.....uhhh....I think it depends on what it is. (looks around) Are people just showing up randomly?

Yea, I don't think any building will start until after 10am tomorrow.

nicoroshi
09-03-2010, 3:44 PM
what type of sides would you suggest to go along with that?
Corn on the cob is great, Garlic bread, Potato salad, whatever.
Meat will take about 40 minutes to BBQ but well worth the wait. I don't believe you guys have Kinder's down your way so it should be a treat for you.
They are a local butcher shop in NorCal, and their meats, and marinades are the BOMB!
My mouth is watering already.
@tujungatos,
I figure I'll try to be cooking it about 5PM. Should be coming off the grill by 5:45PM, and hopefully there should be some left for you by 6PM when you arrive. :p

69Mach1
09-03-2010, 3:47 PM
I will be at the gate at 8am. Coming early to help set up. I only have one e-z up. I hope there will be more coming. I've got pork ribs, dogs /buns, and some Italian sausage. Also have a cooler full of drinks and beer. One long table, a drill press, and the spare blast cabinet are coming up also.

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2010, 3:49 PM
BRING COOLERS AND ICE!!!!!!!!!! It's going to be over 100!

Rekrab
09-03-2010, 4:34 PM
I'll need to remember to swing by the store tonight to pick up some beer and stuff...

mrlonewolf
09-03-2010, 4:35 PM

What happens at CSA's, stays @ CSA's........:rofl2:

Lyte-
09-03-2010, 4:58 PM
Okay sounds like we going to have more then enough "food" there but I will look into bringing some sides.

CSA if I decide to make "baked beans" along with some other things would I have access to your oven?

AndrewMendez
09-03-2010, 5:00 PM
I will bring some rice and/or beans, depends on how my GF feels. I will be there give or take around 10. I have pictures of the "stuff" I have been working on. The front lots ridiculous in red. I don't think I have done better. The backs look a tad funny, but only because the font, but looks pretty close to the actual "stuff"

69Mach1
09-03-2010, 5:50 PM
Post it please Andrew.

AndrewMendez
09-03-2010, 6:33 PM
Taken with my camera phone:
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/bbiggs_/AKTeamshirt.jpg

nicoroshi
09-03-2010, 6:51 PM
Taken with my camera phone:
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/bbiggs_/AKTeamshirt.jpg
Me likey.
Cost?
Well, more importantly "are they for sale?"

AndrewMendez
09-03-2010, 6:53 PM

These are exclusively for the men of the "AK-Team"
I will have other shirts for sale at the event though, I will finish up the design next week.

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2010, 7:00 PM
I stopped on the way home and picked up 8 packages of hamburger buns, 5 packs of cheese (OK, it might be artificial cheese food substitute), a few lbs of roma tomatoes and 6 boxes of patriotic frosted chocolate cookies. I have a smaller rice cooker and a pound or two of white rice. If anyone wants rice, just ask. I'm not sure about the oven yet. We may be using the outlet for welding. Of course, we could always through a pot of beans on the BBQ burner if the oven isn't available.

Lyte-
09-03-2010, 7:05 PM
I will have other shirts for sale at the event though, I will finish up the design next week.

And who are the "Men" of the AK-Team?

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2010, 7:06 PM
Me likey.
Cost?

Andrew,

I feel the need to say this publicly. Nico and SJgunguy24 NEED to be included in the AK Team! Without their volunteering to come done and help us, we would be totally lost this weekend. If you can get their sizes and make a few for them before tommorow, great. If not, I propose that they get each get one or two of the ones that you already made and you can make some more by next month. Also, do not give them a price. Their shirts will either come from those of us that they are hwlping or out of next months BP funds. :D OK?

Lyte-
09-03-2010, 7:06 PM
I stopped on the way home and picked up 8 packages of hamburger buns, 5 packs of cheese (OK, it might be artificial cheese food substitute), a few lbs of roma tomatoes and 6 boxes of patriotic frosted chocolate cookies. I have a smaller rice cooker and a pound or two of white rice. If anyone wants rice, just ask. I'm not sure about the oven yet. We may be using the outlet for welding. Of course, we could always through a pot of beans on the BBQ burner if the oven isn't available.

Ummm I have never cooked bakes beans over an open fire before not sure how that will turn out. Its normally a dish we cook in the oven especially since I have a habbit of layering it with Bacon :D

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2010, 7:07 PM
And who are the "Men" of the AK-Team?

I just love it when a plan comes together.;)

Lyte-
09-03-2010, 7:10 PM
I just love it when a plan comes together.;)

:mad: and what does that mean?