PDA

View Full Version : Failure to completely eject and failure of slide to lock open on last shot

ronas
07-09-2010, 9:33 AM
Pistol is a new Smith and Wesson M & P Compact 9.

I'm shooting reloads that have worked flawlessly in my Beretta 92FS but not so with S&W.

I have noted that the chamber of the S&W is slightly smaller than the Beretta. If a loaded round does not go in and out of my Dillon case check gauge easily it may not chamber in the S&W. So of course I now have to check each round that I'll use in the S&W; that can be done.

Other problem is the slide may not lock back after last shot. I had this problem at one time with Beretta and problem was worn mag followers. Mags on S&W are all factory and brand new so I don't think that's the problem.

Main problem is failure to completely eject and failure to properly feed, i.e., a jam.

Reloads are 115 grain bullet, with either 4.7 or 4.8 grains of 231 or same bullet with bullet with 4.8 grains of Unique. Both loaded to OAL of 1.105

I load on the low side and I'm wondering if my reloads have enough umph to cycle the action properly.

I called S&W and they said to try factory ammo to see if it functions properly. Of course I can do that but I still would like to know what's going on with my ammo. I really think it's an ammo related problem.

Any help will be much appreciated. I really like the pistol and need for it to work perfectly.

mif_slim
07-09-2010, 9:44 AM
could be that your 92 was broken in and so it can cycle lighter loads. Your SW maybe new and it still needs to be broken in. I loaded some light loads for my 40sw XD 4" and they work flawless! Just enough to lock the slide. When my brother in law got his xd we took my loads to shoot, his would fail to lock the slide. I gave him some hot loads and shot 250 rounds thru it. He went back to shoot my light loads and it cycled just fine.

delisle
07-09-2010, 9:56 AM
could be that your 92 was broken in and so it can cycle lighter loads. Your SW maybe new and it still needs to be broken in. I loaded some light loads for my 40sw XD 4" and they work flawless! Just enough to lock the slide. When my brother in law got his xd we took my loads to shoot, his would fail to lock the slide. I gave him some hot loads and shot 250 rounds thru it. He went back to shoot my light loads and it cycled just fine.

This. Same issue with my XD.

tonelar
07-09-2010, 10:03 AM
how does it work with factory loads?

ronas
07-09-2010, 12:07 PM
The Hornady 1991 manual I was using shows for Unique 4.7 grains to max of 5.1 grains.

I checked my Sierra manual, 1989 and for Unique it shows 5.0 grains to max of 5.9 grains.

Sounds like I should be using Sierra data and loaded to 5.1 grains. However that's not going to happen since I'm out of Unique.

I have plenty of 231 so I use that. Hornady says for 231 use 4.5 grains to max of 5.5 grains. Whereas Sierra say for 231 use 4.6 grains to 5.5 grains. A little more agreement on correct load. I think I'll load 50 rounds at 5 to 5.1 grains and see what happens.

mif_slim
07-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Before you go out cycle the gun By hand and leave the gun in the lock position before heading out.. It should loosen up the tension a bit.

ronas
07-10-2010, 9:40 AM
Loaded 50 rounds using 5.1 grains of 231.

I just got back from the range and pistol functioned perfectly.:) Guess that little pistol has a pretty stiff recoil spring.