PDA

View Full Version : AR trigger pinned walked out

Charlie50
07-05-2010, 11:01 AM
I was at the range with some guys from Tri-Core International and they were kind enough to offer some training at a greet and meet up at Twin Sisters Gun Club.... anyway, these guys are almost all active federal law enforcement/ SWAT and my AR began to shoot multiples with single pull, not good. Needless to say I put it away after one of the instructors had a tri burst. Did not spend much time figuring out why because I had a back up rifle.

After getting home I took a good look and discovered that the the trigger pivot pin had walked out causing the trigger group to cant, causing unwanted tri and double bursts (the feds were giving me a hard time about how I didn't have to pay extra for that feature:52:).

So this has never happened to me before, and was wondering how common is this and how to prevent this in the future. BTW the hammer spring legs appear properly located over the pin. The pin has the groove. I did recently disassembled this rifle (Delton lower, upper). I built it up a couple of years ago and have 1000 plus round through it. Thanks for any knowledgeable input and for you Delton critics I've seen failures with Smiths, Spikes and Colts, so there!:D

Noobert
07-05-2010, 5:21 PM
Is the groove deep enough?

SJgunguy24
07-05-2010, 5:44 PM
I have a problem with my entire gun just walking out. I usally close the door to fix that.......

There are kits that use small fasteners to secure the pins.

Charlie50
07-05-2010, 7:59 PM
I have a problem with my entire gun just walking out. I usally close the door to fix that.......

There are kits that use small fasteners to secure the pins.

Yeah, me too, but it not usually not just the gun walking out the door...there is usually an female type carrying the gun and everything else I used to own... :eek:

Thanks never seen the retaining kit that you and others speak of. I will do a quick search. I have not compared the depth of the grooves in the pin to others to see if they are as deep.

SJgunguy24
07-05-2010, 8:11 PM
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7589/Product/AR_15_ANTI_WALK_PINS

One type, check Brownells, there are several kinds FA guns need these kind of anti walk pins.

Roccobro
07-05-2010, 8:21 PM
Charlie do you have another trigger pin you can compare to? Also check the spring where it rides the pin channel. Better to find the problem and fix it than just throw other parts at it.

Unless you want some cool pins like the KNS's. :D
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:UOyzfSxhJQXr9M:http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/newbuild/FDESPR2046.jpg

Justin

Reconsnake
07-06-2010, 10:30 AM
If the spring leg is indeed seated in the groove of the trigger pin, and it still walked out, chances are good maybe the spring tension of your hammer spring is less than optimal. You said that you have more than 1k rounds through the gun, any idea how many total? I'd expect a hammer spring to last much more than 1k rounds. The anti walk pins do work, but they are not required for any AR in my opinion. I would find the root of the problem, and address it directly. Could be that the groove is worn to the point that the leg of the spring comes out of the groove altogether; I have seen it more than once myself. If that is the case, a new set of pins is very cheap, much less than the anti walk pins.

CHS
07-06-2010, 12:55 PM
The JP lightweight springs have enough tension to hold in a properly-grooved trigger pin, as long as the hammer spring is installed correctly. So it's probably not a tension issue.

MAKE SURE that your hammer spring is installed correctly. It probably isn't.

Charlie50
07-06-2010, 1:14 PM
The JP lightweight springs have enough tension to hold in a properly-grooved trigger pin, as long as the hammer spring is installed correctly. So it's probably not a tension issue.

MAKE SURE that your hammer spring is installed correctly. It probably isn't.

I'll double check the spring installation, but 98% sure. I was looking at another pin I have and the the grooves do look deeper. I'll pull it all apart tonight to check it all out. Thanks for all of the input.

open3gunner
07-07-2010, 12:08 PM
check out jp & brownells they the anti-walk pins

adamsreeftank
07-07-2010, 1:02 PM
You are lucky you didn't get proned-out with all of the LEOs around. :eek:

That is one type of malfunction that can get you in some very hot water.

Charlie50
07-07-2010, 1:21 PM
You are lucky you didn't get proned-out with all of the LEOs around. :eek:

That is one type of malfunction that can get you in some very hot water.

You're right but they were all pretty cool,... far more interested in big fish, not guppies like me and my little 'ol rifle. It was obvious that it was an unintended event and I put it away. Clearly I was not going to impress them with double or triple taps:p.