PDA

View Full Version : Rhondevous percussion gun rules/specs-help!

NorcalGSG
06-14-2010, 1:57 PM
I'm looking for a traditional percussion muzzleloader to shoot round ball events with. What I'm having a hard time finding is the specs, can anyone help me. I know this probably varies from club to club, but I'm trying to make sure the gun I get is going to work. I think they have a maximum weight, any barrel length rules? Thanks. I'm thinking of getting something along the lines of a .54 cal Hawkin or something like that.

Flintlock Tom
06-15-2010, 2:45 PM
At all of the rendezvous I go to as long as it resembles an original type gun it's good-to-go.
Any of the current makers, Thompson-Center, Connecticut Valley Arms, Lyman, etc. are all okay.
A .54 Hawken "style" rifle would do just fine.

Carsgunsandchics
06-15-2010, 6:13 PM
Iron sights only, and if you bring an inline your gonna get "The Stink-Eye".

NorcalGSG
06-15-2010, 7:11 PM
Thanks, yea I've been looking around. I read some reports of CVA mainly inline guns having soft-ish metal and potentially blowing up with magnum loads. The T/C seemed to have a good reputation, but they also seem to have discontinued all their traditional style guns except for the Hawken in .50 cal only. So I'm going to look and see what I can find that is available, with a 32-36" barrel. I'd prefer to find one with all steel parts, don't really want the flash of the brass patch box and hardware. And mainly looking for a finished gun, I don't want a kit. Anyone have some leads on good vendors for this stuff? It seems harder to find online than cartridge stuff ( so much smaller #'s no doubt). For round ball I was also told to stick with 1:48 or slower twist, and prefer the set-trigger action.

Springfield45
06-15-2010, 7:35 PM
Check out the Lyman Great Plains rifles. All steel and very well made. They all so sell a single shot pistol to match it.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Pod/00/98/91/p009891hz02b.jpg

CSACANNONEER
06-15-2010, 7:44 PM
Find a used one. It'll probably be about half the price of a new one and you'll have all the older TC models to choose from. It sounds like you would my old .54 cal TC Renegade a lot. Mine is LH and not for sale though. Check the F/S form here and on buckskinning and reenacting forms.

Fjold
06-15-2010, 8:08 PM
Find a used one. It'll probably be about half the price of a new one and you'll have all the older TC models to choose from. It sounds like you would my old .54 cal TC Renegade a lot. Mine is LH and not for sale though. Check the F/S form here and on buckskinning and reenacting forms.

I have the same left handed .54 TC Renegade

NorcalGSG
06-15-2010, 9:01 PM
Yes, I literally passed on a used Renegade just today. I liked it, and would have bought it if the barrel was longer. At 26", I thought it would be a little short for longer range steel targets at competitions.

CSACANNONEER
06-16-2010, 6:24 AM
In Dec. '86, I took my first buck with mine at about 125 yards or a little longer. I would not have gone for such a long shot but, it was a follow up shot. Due to buck fever, I had just missed the 75ish yard shot. Mine was a kit gun which came in the white and was probably made in the early 70's. So, it came with a 1 in 66 round ball barrel. I would not hesitate to shoot 12" targets with mine at 150-200 yards. Are the targets that you are talking about further than that?

NorcalGSG
06-16-2010, 7:57 AM
Not so much the ballistics as the weight that I'm thinking about. Longer barrel=more weight, easier to hold steady offhand, etc. I'm still thinking about that Renegade though, I did like the looks of it. I think it would be a good hunting gun for sure.