PDA

View Full Version : Residents take aim at Redondo Beach pistol range

drclark
06-02-2010, 8:57 AM
Concerned Residents Against Pistol Range Redondo (CRAPRR) -- I think the acronym goes along with the idea....

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_15189521?source=rv

Homeowners take aim at Redondo Beach gun range

A group of residents living near the Redondo Beach police firing range is asking the city for

$5 million in damages for alleged violations of waste disposal laws, including claims that lead bullet fragments strayed into their neighborhood.

The 14 residents, all of whom live in neighboring Torrance, have filed claims against the city of Redondo Beach that point to a state agency's investigation of the 63-year-old Beryl Street shooting range.

The facility more than two years ago caught the eye of the State Department of Toxic Substances Control, which sent scientists to take samples from the area on several occasions following a complaint about possible lead bullet fragments in the vicinity of Towers Elementary School. The campus sits just across Beryl, which is the dividing line between Redondo Beach and Torrance.

The state scientist overseeing the investigation reported that a total of 798 fragments were collected over several months in various places around the range, and in a 42-page report recounts in detail conversations with residents, city and school officials, lawyers and environmental consultants.

The report concludes that the city violated state laws for how it disposed of hazardous waste in storage drums and in soil on the site, and for allegedly failing to provide certain documents.

The information was turned over to the District Attorney's Office, where it has been under review for at least a year.

That's frustrated residents, who say their concerns haven't been addressed, and that questions go unanswered.

"Nothing has happened," said Anthony Patchett, a Glendale lawyer and former deputy district attorney who on Friday filed the claims on the residents' behalf.

If the claims are denied by the city, the citizens could then take their dispute to court.

"I look forward to filing an injunction to shut the place down and clean up the neighborhood," said Patchett, who blames the range for dispersing lead bullet fragments and dust in the community. "I think this is a Superfund site."

The city maintains it already has addressed several concerns about the range, where officers now use a type of lead-free "frangible" ammunition that is said to disintegrate upon impact.

No lead bullets are permitted now, City Attorney Mike Webb said, and police must remove their own ammunition before entering.

The city also organized a cleanup effort at Towers just before the start of the 2008 school year - a plan that was reviewed by the toxics control agency's schools division - and sent workers with sweepers and vacuums onto campus to clean up lingering fragments.

After the state agency began its probe, Redondo Beach hired the law firm of Trutanich Michel - now Michel and Associates - along with an environmental consultant that had worked for the state toxics agency. Los Angeles City Attorney Carmen Trutanich was one of the attorneys working on the case before winning election.

Trutanich has cast doubts upon the state agency's conclusion that the tiny gray particles located on campus were bullet fragments that ricocheted off angled targets and escaped the range - a theory supported by a UCLA engineering professor.

Trutanich previously told the Daily Breeze that attorneys "uncovered some information that there may be someone salting the mine." He questioned why, given how long the range had been used, there weren't "thousands upon thousands of fragments" discovered.

The state agency's report quotes Trutanich as saying "the whole issue is about noise," and that he hired a private investigator to see who was "seeding the neighborhood with bullets."

That response angered Torrance resident Harry Stuver, who heads the group Concerned Residents Against Pistol Range Redondo (CRAPRR).

Stuver, who filed one of the claims, believes the city needs to enclose the range, and that further remediation is needed in the surrounding neighborhood.

"If the DA isn't going to do anything ... what we are doing is seeking civil damages for any damages that have occurred to our health," he said. "We don't know if we've ingested lead."

Patchett, who for 10 years was assistant head deputy of the district attorney's Environmental Crimes Division before starting his own firm, said residents will have to be seen by doctors to determine any possible health effects. He contacted the Torrance residents after reading news articles and doing research about the firing range.

"I looked at this and thought, gee, a police department, you'd think that they'd want to comply with the law," he said. "But sorry to say, it seems like they think they're above the law."

Given the dollar amount of the residents' claims, Webb said the issue will ultimately end up before the Redondo Beach City Council for consideration.

In the meantime, he said the city is trying to "resolve any and all allegations of past misconduct" at the facility, where its outside lawyers met last week with representatives from the District Attorney's Office and state toxics control agency.

kristin.agostoni@dailybreeze.com

Unit74
06-02-2010, 9:03 AM
So they bought homes and moved in without their due diligence being completed? And now they are up in arms about it?

Palomar Airport( CRQ) faced the same issues. The airport was there long before any homes were present. The area built up and and now the new kids on the block are crying foul from noise and air pollution.... What a shame. Their ignorance and arrogance is astounding.

savasyn
06-02-2010, 9:20 AM
I used to live right up the street from that range. It's surrounded by housing on one side, a playground and dog park on the other and an elementary school right across the street, it was only a matter of time before people started whining about it.

The range is dug into the ground like trenches with a big backstop. I think part of the problem is that it has an open top. Maybe if they built a roof over it, it'd keep any stray splash off the backstop contained.

If you want to see where it's located, you can click here. (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=1500%20north%20beryl%20street%20redondo%20beach% 20ca&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl) Look at the satellite view and zoom in. The range is the facility just above and to the right of the red A.

robcoe
06-02-2010, 9:47 AM
This reminds me of my new neighbors who are always complaining about the noise of the aircraft landing at the Long Beach Airport and trying to get me to sign a petition to try to get them to move the landing pattern.

Unless the people complaining bought their houses 64 years ago they have no room to complain. The range was there before they were.

BroncoBob
06-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Just like all the yippies that moved to the country then complained about the smell that cows make.............Ah, California you just got to love it.

UserM4
06-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Talking about airports, ever fly out of John Wayne? It's like you're riding a space shuttle taking off straight up.

ljdouglas
06-02-2010, 11:32 AM
As a part of the Redondo Beach Citizens Police Academy program, I got to go to that range for an orientation and a little shooting. A few of the nifty things about it:
1. Since it's local, officers re-qualify monthly.
2. Since it's NOT roofed and the side wall is moveable, they can train there with vehicles.

It's been there for over sixty years, and anybody who moved into the neighborhood had to know it was there. RBPD no longer trains there with the M-16, just sidearm and shotgun. All with frangible ammo.

Rob454
06-02-2010, 7:56 PM
There is probably more lead from lost and thrown wheel weights off vehicle rims than ever came out of that range.