PDA

View Full Version : Critique my Target

NewGunner
05-25-2010, 6:54 PM
What do you guys think? Any suggestions to improve this? Am I going to hurt myself?

11" diameter target, about 1" thick (probably mild steel)
sawhorse is approx. 4' tall.

mr2.0
05-25-2010, 6:56 PM
very nice. I like it

tomd1584
05-25-2010, 6:58 PM
Its probably best if you let me borrow it this weekend. I'll make sure to give a full report on Calguns next week!

Vtec44
05-25-2010, 7:00 PM
Very nice!

Although, I'd change the design a bit so that the smaller side of the woods faces forward.

sigs229
05-25-2010, 7:01 PM
nice. where did you get that steel plate? cost?

NewGunner
05-25-2010, 7:04 PM
Total cost for the 1 complete target was $25. I got 3 steel plates for $15 from a fabrication shop.

It would have been better with the 2x4's sideways but then I would have had to make the hinge. My biggest worry is not of shooting the legs but from bullet frags after hitting the steel. At most it is $5 to replace all the legs.

Will test it next week, if the steel works I will try a larger target.

Connor P Price
05-25-2010, 7:08 PM
What kind of steel is the target? Softer steel will pit, and hitting those pits is what sends bullet fragments back in your direction.

mofugly13
05-25-2010, 7:09 PM
I have a pile of targets very similar to that, only they're 8" diameter. I welded the chain link directly to the target, and found that a few 7.62 rounds into that link almost tore it away from the gong. After you blast those washers to smithereens, go with something beefier.

Also, with such long chains, and depending on what you are slinging at it and at what distance, you might get that gong to whip around enough to topple the whole thing. A 45-70 at 100 yards would probably do that for you. An SKS might, too. Only one way to find out!!

But, the great thing about having a welder, is that when you wreck your hanging system, you can just weld it back up with something beefier. I'd think about beefing up the washers and shortening the chains a bit.

I don't think you are gonna hurt yourself, I think you are gonna have a blast!!

NewGunner
05-25-2010, 7:21 PM
I have a pile of targets very similar to that, only they're 8" diameter. I welded the chain link directly to the target, and found that a few 7.62 rounds into that link almost tore it away from the gong. After you blast those washers to smithereens, go with something beefier.

Also, with such long chains, and depending on what you are slinging at it and at what distance, you might get that gong to whip around enough to topple the whole thing. A 45-70 at 100 yards would probably do that for you. An SKS might, too. Only one way to find out!!

But, the great thing about having a welder, is that when you wreck your hanging system, you can just weld it back up with something beefier. I'd think about beefing up the washers and shortening the chains a bit.

I don't think you are gonna hurt yourself, I think you are gonna have a blast!!

This is the advice I was looking for, thanks. Like you said, I may just go test it as is. But I think I could cut a foot off the sawhorse height and shorten the chains.

It may be soft steel (guy said it was mild). If it pits at all I will re-think the whole thing.

I am only shooting .223 and 9mm and was thinking of using 100+yds (rifle) and 30yds (handguns) to shoot from.

Vtec44
05-25-2010, 7:24 PM
From my personal experience, .223 55gr will not go through 1" mild steel at 100 yards. It will make really deep holes and bubble the back though. It's the same with 7.62x39 123gr Wolf ammo.

ColdDeadHands1
05-25-2010, 8:20 PM
Nice work on the hanging angle. That will help deflect bullet frags into the ground.

If you find that the mild steel get torn up too quickly, there is a place on ebay selling AR500 steel gongs for a very reasonable price. Note that they combine shipping for multiple targets.
http://stores.ebay.com/The-Widget-Shop-Inc_Steel-Silhouette-Targets_W0QQ_fsubZ12708558QQ_sidZ598491370QQ_trksi dZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

killshot44
05-25-2010, 9:26 PM
Nice design!

Forgive the pun but the chain is the weak link in your target....One thing you can easily do: Get some steel pipe with in I.D. big enough to slide over the chain. Cut each piece 14" so it covers the chain.

It won't last forever but neither will soft steel, .223 at 3,000fps can punch thru it. But hey, it's a target, not a painting. Go blast it. I love the Ping myself.

LloydXmas250
05-25-2010, 9:40 PM
I too was going to point out the chain. A misplaced shot might take out a link fairly easily. Still, better job than I could ever do. Make sure you post results. I'd like to know how it holds up. Have fun

John Browning
05-25-2010, 9:49 PM
Aside from the chain and washer/weld issues, I've found that PVC makes a much better frame than wood. It is repairable, cheaper, and easier to transport.

I think you're going to have a lot of fun, looks good!

mofugly13
05-25-2010, 9:55 PM
Be sure to bring something to repair the chain if you should blast a link and break the chain. Some baling wire, or a nut and bolt that would fit through the link, or som split links. You don't want the fun to end because of an errant shot.

AIMSMALL
05-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Looks cool, I'd say build a few more so you can have some at different ranges etc. If you want some help testing it out send me a PM!

five.five-six
05-25-2010, 10:43 PM
After you blast those washers to smithereens, go with something beefier.

either that or position them a little lower so the target protects them.....

FWIW, none of this will be a problem if you hit the target :p

randy
05-26-2010, 12:05 AM
For personal use it will be ok for a little while. Start hitting that with a 308 and you will junk it quick. I'd shoot it past 100 yards otherwise you'll have some giant craters, then jackets will start flying.

You spent 25 bucks so no big deal. Bring gloves you're going to frag the legs.

kozumasbullitt
05-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Nice, I run ASV levers too :)

yock
05-26-2010, 12:34 AM
I like it, better than the stand I built but mine isn't a dinger it's just plywood and a few 2x4 I had layin around. And I was going to say asv's are the **** I run them on all my bikes.

pyromensch
05-26-2010, 6:50 AM
Aside from the chain and washer/weld issues, I've found that PVC makes a much better frame than wood. It is repairable, cheaper, and easier to transport.

I think you're going to have a lot of fun, looks good!

yeah but will pvc, hold the weight of the target, and chain?

csterl
05-26-2010, 7:26 AM
Be cautious with the mild steel targets, .223 will crater them badly and start sending fragments out in unpredictable patterns. AR500 is the steel you should be using if you want it to last. I have three gongs made from AR500 and have beat on them with .223 and .308, in the hundreds of hits there has not been one crater or chip yet. If you don't mind replacing the target often then you can use the mild steel, just please shoot it at a minimum of 100 yards.

hbellew
05-26-2010, 8:24 AM
I am by no means a target design expert but having said I do have a small suggestion. Many of the steel hangers I have seen use some sort of flexible material instead of the chains used in yours. The materials I have seen have been heavy leather or rubber like an old car tire. I am guessing that these materials mitigate the sudden impact energy of the bullet with greater effect, allowing the targets anchor system to flex. Like I said I am no expert and I think your target looks very good. I just thought I would mention this as you asked for suggestions.

Best of luck,

H

ar15barrels
05-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Move the washers down on the back of the plate to protect the welds.
1 shot is going to pop that weld and make the plate fall to the side and spin around on the one chain.

NewGunner
05-27-2010, 7:41 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I think that almost all the advice has been great. I am planning on testing it out as is on Tuesday, if it is turning into swiss cheese than I will evaluate for safety. It will probably be only me shooting this target so I was not as worried about shooting the chains or washer, but on second thought I guess I may not be as a good a shot as I like to think.

I have 2 more of these plates so I may bring along an extra one and will weld the washers on a bit lower. My only concern was that hanging the washer lower means that it must be bent more to connect the chain and being closer to the center of the gong will increase the downward angle.

I also felt that welding the washers to the top edge would get them furthest from the main point of impact (hopefully dead center). Again, this is my first attempt so that is just based on my untested beliefs.

The ebay link for the AR500 gongs from Cold is great, when I have a few more dollars to spend I will order one of those. In the meantime this will let me test out the hanging system and try some different stuff so that I will have a little more experience building the next one.

Thanks again and I will try to post pics next week after shooting.

mpower
05-27-2010, 8:03 AM
this is the collapsible target system i made recently . the legs fold into themselves and everything unbolts and goes down to a very small size . the 5/8" steel targets get beat up pretty bad but only cost 8$ each(12" round 1" plates cost over 70$ at the local metal shop, ouch ) . i found its a good idea to have some extra length chain with you while you out shooting, ive been breaking links just from the impact of the bullet on the plate. funnest target ive made to date .

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk52/defined_eng/2010/IMG00033-20100508-1350.jpg

and heres the targets after a day of shooting .223 and 7.62 x54. ive been progressively making thicker steel targets and seems even 5/8" mild steel is too thin .

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk52/defined_eng/2010/IMG00053-20100523-1317.jpg

NewGunner
05-27-2010, 8:13 AM
this is the collapsible target system i made recently . the legs fold into themselves and everything unbolts and goes down to a very small size . the 5/8" steel targets get beat up pretty bad but only cost 8$ each(12" round 1" plates cost over 70$ at the local metal shop, ouch ) . i found its a good idea to have some extra length chain with you while you out shooting, ive been breaking links just from the impact of the bullet on the plate. funnest target ive made to date .

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk52/defined_eng/2010/IMG00033-20100508-1350.jpg

and heres the targets after a day of shooting .223 and 7.62 x54. ive been progressively making thicker steel targets and seems even 5/8" mild steel is too thin .

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk52/defined_eng/2010/IMG00053-20100523-1317.jpg

That is a great design, I wanted to build a collapsable metal stand. Sounds like I got a good deal on the 1" plates, and if the 5/8" has been holding up enough for a day of shooting I should be GTG. I am saving your pics and one day will try to get some AR500 gongs and build a stand like yours, that seems like it would be the best/strongest setup. Thanks

What distance are you shooting from?

ar15barrels
05-27-2010, 8:25 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I think that almost all the advice has been great. I am planning on testing it out as is on Tuesday, if it is turning into swiss cheese than I will evaluate for safety. It will probably be only me shooting this target so I was not as worried about shooting the chains or washer, but on second thought I guess I may not be as a good a shot as I like to think.

I have 2 more of these plates so I may bring along an extra one and will weld the washers on a bit lower. My only concern was that hanging the washer lower means that it must be bent more to connect the chain and being closer to the center of the gong will increase the downward angle.

I also felt that welding the washers to the top edge would get them furthest from the main point of impact (hopefully dead center). Again, this is my first attempt so that is just based on my untested beliefs.

The ebay link for the AR500 gongs from Cold is great, when I have a few more dollars to spend I will order one of those. In the meantime this will let me test out the hanging system and try some different stuff so that I will have a little more experience building the next one.

Thanks again and I will try to post pics next week after shooting.

Weld a link of chain to the plate instead of a washer.
It's stronger and you can weld along the long side of the link...

ar15barrels
05-27-2010, 8:28 AM

It's not the thickness that matters, it's the hardness.
You could have 2" thick mild steel plates and they will still get chewed up like that.
3/8" thick AR-500 will stand up to 223 and 308 all day long though.

mpower
05-27-2010, 8:47 AM
That is a great design, I wanted to build a collapsable metal stand. Sounds like I got a good deal on the 1" plates, and if the 5/8" has been holding up enough for a day of shooting I should be GTG. I am saving your pics and one day will try to get some AR500 gongs and build a stand like yours, that seems like it would be the best/strongest setup. Thanks

What distance are you shooting from?

thanks . its also relatively cheap too. the legs took a few hits while sighting in my buddies scope but still super sturdy .

we were shooting from 100 yards on the dot, with iron sights except for the scoped 54 and man were those plates moving.

next is some kind of system for my pistols

rattletrap1970
05-27-2010, 8:56 AM
You could use those black rectangular cross section rubber bungee straps to hold them in place. Those can take several hits and hold together.

mpower
05-27-2010, 9:23 AM
It's not the thickness that matters, it's the hardness.
You could have 2" thick mild steel plates and they will still get chewed up like that.
3/8" thick AR-500 will stand up to 223 and 308 all day long though.

good to know , ar-500 huh. would 4140 be any good ? i have access to some of that .

You could use those black rectangular cross section rubber bungee straps to hold them in place. Those can take several hits and hold together.

that sounds like a pretty good idea , ill have to give that a try . thanks

hellbent13
05-27-2010, 9:49 AM
I like it.........may I borrow it?

jvpark
05-27-2010, 12:18 PM
over-engineered... Love it!

Nick1236
05-27-2010, 1:47 PM
Like its been stated a couple times, those washer are gonna break off real quick. I had 1/2 thick tabs welded to my target from the back and they eventually broke. If you buy more plates from the fab shop, have them cut the eye loops into the metal, kind like a mikey mouse head shape with holes in the "ears" for a c-clip or bolt of some kind.

ZenMasta
05-27-2010, 2:51 PM
Nice. I've been interested in doing the same. Good info here :D

ar15barrels
05-27-2010, 2:58 PM
good to know , ar-500 huh. would 4140 be any good

Slightly better than mild steel, but not nearly as good as AR500.

randy
05-28-2010, 1:26 AM
You guys will be money and time ahead if you go to www.mgmtargets.com and buy their stuff.

The auto popper is 130 bucks and will last along time. Or buy their knock down targets that are ar500 cost 30 bucks. You'll shoot them much longer than you'll shoot this mild steel cratered junk.

AR500 targets are lighter to haul around and you don't have all that sharp crap in the back of your car or truck. If you want a long range target it will cost you more but you can see it hit at 400 yards. Good luck with those hanging targets without a spotter with a scope.

You're spending money on gas, ammo, guns don't short yourself on good targets.

NotEnoughGuns
05-28-2010, 5:59 AM
AR400/500 is a very very hard steel. AR stands for Abrasion Resistant.

That being said I would be very careful shooting at a 1" thick 11" round made out of any type of steel. It is just to heavy. I have had a bullet whizz over my head when shooting at a 8" round 1" thick plate as they just don't swing like they should. I've made many steel targets and have found that thinner/lighter plates are much safer. This really is one of the benefits of using AR plate as you can go fairly thin/light and have a target that will hold up to some real abuse.

I do have some AR500 scraps at the shop, I just may be convinced to cut some rounds and offer them up here for a fair price. I'll check and see what I have today, if I remember ;)

NotEnoughGuns
05-28-2010, 3:12 PM
so it looks like I have enough ar500 plate to do around 35 8" targets and 10 or so 6" targets. It is 1/2" thick. I was thinking maybe a $10 donation per plate to calguns+ shipping probably in a USPS flat rate box. Anyone interested? If so what is the best forum to start a fresh thread on the subject?

ar15barrels
05-31-2010, 12:16 AM
so it looks like I have enough ar500 plate to do around 35 8" targets and 10 or so 6" targets. It is 1/2" thick. I was thinking maybe a $10 donation per plate to calguns+ shipping probably in a USPS flat rate box. Anyone interested? If so what is the best forum to start a fresh thread on the subject?

Don't cut them up yet.
I would like a bunch of them, but in different sizes from 4" to 10" circles.

ColdDeadHands1
05-31-2010, 12:23 AM
I would like several as well. How about (3) 6" & (2) 10"? Let me know how you would like to make it happen!

AIMSMALL
05-31-2010, 1:21 AM
I woul also like a few 10" ones to shoot with my :36:

NewGunner
06-02-2010, 7:24 AM
So I was able to do some shooting this weekend, unfortunately I was away and missed out on the AR500 plate sale (kinda annoying).

Anyway, the target I made at the top of this thread worked well. It seems that some of the advice given in this thread was not observed during my testing. The stand was perfect (easy to setup, pack in the car, and stable). The legs did not get fragged at all. The chains did not break or allow the plate to move too much.

Someone mentioned that 1" plate was too heavey, not true at all. It moved enough to disipate the energy but not enough to be swinging around. The washers held up fine and no cracks or bends were observed at the welds.

Shot from roughly 100yards with 5.56. Although there was pitting, it was not even close to making through the plate like some had warned. I would say that the craters are only about 0.1"" deep. Was shooting with XM193 and did not observe any richochetes. I will get some pics up later.

SixPointEight
06-02-2010, 8:42 AM
So I was able to do some shooting this weekend, unfortunately I was away and missed out on the AR500 plate sale (kinda annoying).

Anyway, the target I made at the top of this thread worked well. It seems that some of the advice given in this thread was not observed during my testing. The stand was perfect (easy to setup, pack in the car, and stable). The legs did not get fragged at all. The chains did not break or allow the plate to move too much.

Someone mentioned that 1" plate was too heavey, not true at all. It moved enough to disipate the energy but not enough to be swinging around. The washers held up fine and no cracks or bends were observed at the welds.

Shot from roughly 100yards with 5.56. Although there was pitting, it was not even close to making through the plate like some had warned. I would say that the craters are only about 0.1"" deep. Was shooting with XM193 and did not observe any richochetes. I will get some pics up later.

Well congrats. I just built a target frame of PVC for the AR500 plates I just got. What size chain did you use here? I'm hoping to get a chain big enough to cut down on the plate swinging around.

ar15barrels
06-02-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm hoping to get a chain big enough to cut down on the plate swinging around.

:rofl2:

Shoot it with 22 cb caps and it won't swing as much. ;)

resident-shooter
06-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Place picture of Rosie O'Donald in the middle and it will be puuurfect!

Agro
11-23-2010, 8:52 PM
I made a target frame like the OP tonight. The only gripe I have is that when i kick the AR500 round gong back, it swings and swings and swings. I wish there was a way to make it swing and stop or mostly stop. The chains allow it to swing for a while. Any thoughts?

r6raff
11-23-2010, 9:07 PM
I made a target frame like the OP tonight. The only gripe I have is that when i kick the AR500 round gong back, it swings and swings and swings. I wish there was a way to make it swing and stop or mostly stop. The chains allow it to swing for a while. Any thoughts?

Instead of chain I placed an iron L bracket on the back side of the 8"x8" steel plate, then I used a 8"x 1/2" eyelet bolt to hang the plate from a piece of 3/4 emt conduit I use as a frame. When I strike the plate at 100yards with 556 it barely swings, I can easily put 2 or 3 shots on it in as many seconds with out it swinging badly. I will get a picture tomorrow when I go shoot, its a very basic design, made it so that I can break it down and throw it in my truck. Also, if I hit the emt, i can just replace it really cheap. Minus the steel plates, it cost me about 10 bucks to make the target stand.

I buy scrap steel from a local fab shop (usually about $15 per 10X10 pice), they only have AR400 though, but it holds up fairly well against 556, 9mm, 40sw, 30-06. Not something I will shoot at close range though.

Agro
11-23-2010, 9:36 PM
Instead of chain I placed an iron L bracket on the back side of the 8"x8" steel plate, then I used a 8"x 1/2" eyelet bolt to hang the plate from a piece of 3/4 emt conduit I use as a frame. When I strike the plate at 100yards with 556 it barely swings, I can easily put 2 or 3 shots on it in as many seconds with out it swinging badly. I will get a picture tomorrow when I go shoot, its a very basic design, made it so that I can break it down and throw it in my truck. Also, if I hit the emt, i can just replace it really cheap. Minus the steel plates, it cost me about 10 bucks to make the target stand.

I buy scrap steel from a local fab shop (usually about $15 per 10X10 pice), they only have AR400 though, but it holds up fairly well against 556, 9mm, 40sw, 30-06. Not something I will shoot at close range though.

Cool, photo please when you have time.
Thanks

CK_32
11-23-2010, 10:41 PM
That looks just horrid.. Give it to me. :P

r6raff
11-24-2010, 2:09 PM
Cool, photo please when you have time.
Thanks

I didnt use it this morning when I went shooting, so I put it together on my driveway so I could get this pic. I built it in about 40 minutes (that included the time to imagine it :D), meant to make something more elegant but I didnt have time, and it worked out so well I decided to just keep using it.

So far it has endured over 1000x 556 and about 100x 30-06 shots at 50-100yards and 300+ 9mm at 7-25 yards. It can also withstand both targets being shot simultaneously with ARs. Not bad for costing less than 10 bucks to make.

I was going to go with the chain method at first, but the fab shop drilled the holes in the wrong places. They drilled two hole opposite corners instead of on the opposites ends of the same side.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/5205477784_8c6ab61433_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/55162649@N05/5205477784/)

joefreas
11-24-2010, 2:13 PM
I'd love to put some holes in that!

r6raff
11-24-2010, 2:40 PM

The stand is riddle with holes, some buddies and I have competitions, shooting on the move, quick fire and such, needless to say we have had more than a few stray shots. First day out I was shooting a friends AR and the irons were off, I put 4 hole threw the top bar lol. It was making a light noise and I thought I was maybe grazinf the steel, so I slowly moved to the right. You can see the 4 holes to the right of the left target. I was shooting from a standing position at 100yards.

The AR400 plates I have arent to shabby, hold up decent enough, but dimple far worse than i would like, I can proabbly get a few thousand shots on it before I have to dump it. Looking for some AR500 or T1 steel, but I can get the AR400 pretty cheap locally, and I just learned that I can drill through it, takes for ever and I need to use several bits to work up to the size I need.

joefreas
11-24-2010, 2:57 PM

Steel, with my 50cal rifle- Sweet target looks like a lot of fun:)

r6raff
11-24-2010, 3:03 PM
Steel, with my 50cal rifle- Sweet target looks like a lot of fun:)

I would let you destroy my target with a 50cal any day :D