PDA

View Full Version : Covers on for loaded Pmags?

davy
05-23-2010, 6:37 PM
Whether for storage or on the person, should the clip-on covers be used on pmags that are fully loaded? I assume it will make ABSOLUTELY no difference on the spring itself, but rather to keep dust or anything else that can cause jams out of the mag?
Do you guys keep the cover on loaded mags?

supertrooper
05-23-2010, 6:46 PM
i think the cover is made to push the rounds down a little to take some pressure off of the feed lips.

davy
05-23-2010, 6:56 PM
i think the cover is made to push the rounds down a little to take some pressure off of the feed lips.

I thought the covers were to keep the dust out?

If a pmag is left fully loaded and without the cover on in the safe, how long would it take for the pressure to have any kind of effect on the feed lips? I recall reading many posts here at calguns that all say magazines can be stored loaded almost indefinitely because the springs will not wear down that way; is this with the cover on or off?

Veggie
05-23-2010, 6:57 PM
I heard that the feed lips will hold their shape much much much longer then metal magazines.

KaLiFORNIA
05-23-2010, 7:18 PM
I use them. I figured if they went through the trouble of making it , it's probally for a reason. They are kind of a pain. It would be nice to have a place to put them when you have ranger plates.

telcolineman
05-23-2010, 7:41 PM
magpul says it's for both, If it keeps the pressure off the feed lips they will last forever. I keep the covers on my loaded mags

davy
05-23-2010, 7:59 PM
I guess I'll keep them on then. I was hoping to keep the mags loaded and read to go if needs be, but if keeping the cover on will preserve the mags longer, then I'll just have to move faster to take them off when I use them.

Koolpsych
05-23-2010, 9:09 PM
The covers are said to both prevent the feed lip creep as well as keep the dust out. However, if you are just going to keep them in your house I doubt dust is too big of an issue and feed lip creep I would imagine would only matter if you were planning on storing them like this and using them years later.

I remember a story on here about someone who fired a magazine off after being stored for 60-70 years later but I think it was a metal magazine if that makes a difference.

xr650r
05-23-2010, 9:38 PM
Probably helps the feed lips more having the cover on if you drop a fully loaded may onto something hard.

FLS9497
05-23-2010, 9:41 PM
I keep the covers on loaded or unloaded while being stored. They came with it, I use it. But at the range... covers off definitely.

telcolineman
05-23-2010, 9:56 PM
Covers will definately help when fully loaded as the spring is fully compressed, That is a lot of pressure on the lips. I have a 10/30 and the spring pressure isn't to bad on it, Of course it is only 1/3rd compressed

badfish71
05-23-2010, 9:58 PM
covers on. they are there for a reason..

killshot44
05-23-2010, 10:39 PM
I guess I'll keep them on then. .............. then I'll just have to move faster to take them off when I use them.

Why? do you often come under attack and need ready access to mags?
:rofl:

MikeR
05-23-2010, 11:15 PM
I keep them on to keep the pressure off the lips, IDK if it makes a difference or not but its one less thing i have to store someplace else.

fliparch
05-24-2010, 6:07 AM
I use them for my stored full mags.

stphnman20
05-24-2010, 6:26 AM
I chucked mine..

ar15barrels
05-24-2010, 8:22 AM
I guess I'll keep them on then. I was hoping to keep the mags loaded and read to go if needs be, but if keeping the cover on will preserve the mags longer, then I'll just have to move faster to take them off when I use them.

Keep a mag in the gun with the bolt carrier forward.
The bolt carrier holds the top round down which relieves the lips the same as the magpul cover.

damndave
05-24-2010, 12:57 PM

+1...

damndave
05-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Why? do you often come under attack and need ready access to mags?
:rofl:

Who will be laughing "if" the situation ever occurs?