PDA

View Full Version : What do you want/expect on an online gun firearms and supplies site?

Jeff Rambo
03-10-2006, 5:48 PM
ETA: title should have been minus "gun," and just read "firearms and supplies site?"

What do you want/expect on an online gun firearms and supplies site?
The title pretty much says it all. I am curious as to when you are all browsing various Web sites of gun stores, online gear and accessory supplies retailers etc., what do you expect? Furthermore, what would you like to see on the sites? What would make you feel more comfortable buying from one business over another, etc.

For me... it's always the design first. If the design is horrible, I usually click my back button on the browser. The only times I will make exceptions is if I frequently hear praise about certain places. These places usually end up being one or two man shops who do not value a good design as a priority for their business.

For example, while there are some sites with poor designs and horrible function that I flat-out avoid (will not name them), there are also sites that have poor designs and horrible function such as Ammoman that I shop at frequently.

So perhaps design is not everything. But as smart shoppers, what goes through your head when you are on a site getting ready to buy your new toys and accessories?

I asked this on another gun related forum and the majority of the answers were: 1- easy to find contact information, 2- easy navigation, 3- a professional appearance, and 4- good product photos.

Charliegone
03-10-2006, 6:12 PM
Good product photos is a must. If its all grainy and with no detail I probably won't even take a look, even if the price is good. Also easy navigation is a must!. If they have an online cart, I would expect them to ship the stuff fast and not take a week to process my order...

ligamentum flavum
03-10-2006, 6:16 PM
a good reputation definitely helps. however, that builds with time.

easy contact information is helpful only if the contact is returned in a timely manner.

hope this helps.

s u b k 0 r
03-10-2006, 6:22 PM
- Easy to navigate
- LIST ONLY ITEMS YOU HAVE IN STOCK READY TO SHIP
(it may be a PITA to update stock but if I know someone can ship it when I want it they get my money.. it really sucks calling 6 dealers and hearing "2 weeks" - we all know about "2 weeks" :D )
- decent product photos
- NO disco flash animation/sound effects bs
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL BROWSERS (ahem wes!)

visualnewbie
03-10-2006, 6:26 PM
I agree with a lot of what many of you stated...I also like to see if that particular merchandise is in stock and available for immediate shipping. If there is going to be a wait - to have some estimate as to how long. But design is how I decide who I do business with as well as their reputation.

Brass Balls
03-10-2006, 6:28 PM
Good prices.

Reasonable service.

A good searchable database so I don't have to wade through pages of crap to find what I'm looking for.

gmcem50
03-10-2006, 6:32 PM
- Easy to navigate
- LIST ONLY ITEMS YOU HAVE IN STOCK READY TO SHIP
(it may be a PITA to update stock but if I know someone can ship it when I want it they get my money.. it really sucks calling 6 dealers and hearing "2 weeks" - we all know about "2 weeks" :D )
- decent product photos
- NO disco flash animation/sound effects bs
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL BROWSERS (ahem wes!)

+1, especially the 'disco flash animation/sound effects bs'.

C.G.
03-10-2006, 7:01 PM
Ability to know whether an item is in stock.

chickenfried
03-10-2006, 7:02 PM
Good search tools
good selection
Good prices
low shipping charges

EBWhite
03-10-2006, 7:25 PM
I love sites like www.Vulcanarmament.com That is honest and realistic.

HA!

Charliegone
03-10-2006, 8:17 PM
I love sites like www.Vulcanarmament.com That is honest and realistic.

HA!

"The weapons of the Special Forces" HAHAHA:D

Jeff Rambo
03-10-2006, 8:19 PM
Glad I was not the only one that found that funny.

Ford8N
03-10-2006, 8:23 PM
Please, Please, PLEASE...update your availability of stock. Never say you have something for sale and not have it in stock. And don't put up teasers like, Check back for availability or On back order. Just take it off the web site. It wastes a lot of time.

grammaton76
03-10-2006, 8:35 PM
+1, especially the 'disco flash animation/sound effects bs'.

Let me guess, you've also had that horrible experience where you're at work, you decide to look at Impact Guns' site, and their old Flash animation with the sound started up, right? :)

gmcem50
03-10-2006, 9:03 PM
Let me guess, you've also had that horrible experience where you're at work, you decide to look at Impact Guns' site, and their old Flash animation with the sound started up, right? :)

Something like that.

ldivinag
03-10-2006, 9:13 PM
as someone who is making the transition to a webmaster job, i can tell you a few things.

1. browser compatibility. i remember reading an article on eWeek where a columnist ragged on FEMA for making their site, after katrina IE only... the article said, a volunteer group of people setup cheap linux machines to access the FEMA site and were stopped at the form to file for support/beneefits and they had no options....

2. real time inventory. dont waste my time.

3. list your prices. i remember one site that had the PLEASE CALL FOR PRICES... arggggggggggggggggggggg

4. dont mind having no pixs, but provide links to manufacturer's links, if possible. or just a link to the maker is fine too...

markymark
03-10-2006, 9:40 PM
as someone who is making the transition to a webmaster job, i can tell you a few things.

1. browser compatibility. i remember reading an article on eWeek where a columnist ragged on FEMA for making their site, after katrina IE only... the article said, a volunteer group of people setup cheap linux machines to access the FEMA site and were stopped at the form to file for support/beneefits and they had no options....

2. real time inventory. dont waste my time.

3. list your prices. i remember one site that had the PLEASE CALL FOR PRICES... arggggggggggggggggggggg

4. dont mind having no pixs, but provide links to manufacturer's links, if possible. or just a link to the maker is fine too...
^ that is a big must for me.
Pictures are good for the newbs like me :o

losangeles
03-10-2006, 9:55 PM
I can live with some bad design. The bottom line on an ecommerce site is if there is a variety of product choices at a good price. And also, that there are options for faster delivery of the product -- like overnight, 2-day air, etc.

For products I'm not familiar with, a photo with product description would be great. And an indicator of how many in stock.

Today, I like MidWayUSA.com. They fit the bill for what I need and as a result, I order from them regularly. I just wish they have an American Express payment option.

ldivinag
03-10-2006, 10:46 PM
one thing i'd like is a site that has clickable links for each firearm, down to the smallest things like the spring in the trigger for the AR...

accordingtoome
03-10-2006, 10:58 PM
pics pics pics.. and im not talking some small little POS. I want to see a full out pic with details. That’s what sells me. The number one complaint people have against buying online is that they like to see before they buy. If you have really nice pics then it’s a lot easier to buy products online. Especially if you have no idea what your looking for.

hitnrun
03-10-2006, 11:01 PM
one thing i'd like is a site that has clickable links for each firearm, down to the smallest things like the spring in the trigger for the AR...

Brownells does that. If you click on the schematics links, you can pull up a full parts diagram for most major manuf current guns and order based off of the diagram.

Check it out...

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/schematics/SchemMFG.aspx

Jeff Rambo
03-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks very much guys. This feedback is going to be put to use for something that will benefit you all quite literally! Just sit back and hold tight for a few, it will be quite the surprise to you all and it probably is not what you are thinking it is in regards to. ;)

Jon
03-11-2006, 12:15 AM
1. Clear navigation to and from pages. Global Tactical Supply kills me, it would also be nice if listings were in alphabetical or similar order.

2. Pictures other than the company stock photos. Not a necessity, but can help visualize, if you've never seen the product in person.

3. Clear contact information for ordering, questions, customer service, etc.

4. Email confirmations of order, payment, and shipment and tracking number(s).

5. Please list payment and delivery options, without me having to add something to the shopping cart.

I'm sure there's more, but that's off the top of my head.

accordingtoome
03-11-2006, 1:13 AM
2. Pictures other than the company stock photos. Not a necessity, but can help visualize, if you've never seen the product in person.

ya thats what i was trying to say

-hanko
03-11-2006, 5:52 AM
I'd cite Brownells' site as almost perfect; lack of pics doesn't bother me if the price is right.

My ideals...

>Screw Paypal: They are NOT rkba friendly in the slightest. If you're in business, take regular plastic.

>Don't bill my plastic until the order is in the box & waiting for ups to pick up.

>Don't make a profit center out of shipping & handling.

>Don't ask for a deposit for s**t you don't have in stock; why do I want a supplier with lack of cash flow?

>If there's a problem with the order, let me know up front.

>Staff your office phone during normal business hours.

I'd cite Brownells', Midway, Gun Parts Guy as examples of superb customer service. Same goes for the majority of sellers on the fal files marketplace forum.

-hanko

losangeles
03-11-2006, 6:42 AM
I forgot to mention. Consumer ratings and reviews. I find that's useful. When these first came out, I didn't pay much attention. But now I find they help for products new to me.

MidwayUSA has them. Amazon has them for books, dvds and all their products. If I have a choice between alternatives and see one with poor marks from previous buyers I'd move on to the next one.

Of course, this'll be harder to implement for a new website because there'd need to be a large volume of customers and a more extensive sales history.

-hanko
03-11-2006, 6:55 AM
I forgot to mention. Consumer ratings and reviews. I find that's useful.
Midway occasionally uses reviews written by its owner...read everything with a grain of salt or 3. Midway also does a very poor job noting country-of-origin in their catalog, not to mention on the tools themselves.

-hanko

Jeff Rambo
03-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys, all great responses so far. Anyone else with input?

Pablo
03-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys, all great responses so far. Anyone else with input?

At the end it all comes to have if not the best one of the best prices. You might have the best web site with a lots of pics, information and the best costumer service. But if your prices are not competitive you're not going to go very far. Your potential costumers might use you web-site as a research tool asking you tons of questions and end up buying from someone else who has a better price.

Pulsar
03-11-2006, 3:52 PM
I've always liked sites that allow customer reviews of products. I've never seen it on gun sites, but www.newegg.com is a good example.

Pictures are a definate must.

JHC
03-12-2006, 6:14 AM
Take all credit cards! I hate it when I'm shopping online, find everything I want and go to place my order only to find they dont take my Discover card, think of all the buisness they lose just because they wouldn't set up one more merchant account, that's why Del-ton lost my buisness and Bushmaster got my money instead.

mow
03-12-2006, 8:10 AM
One of the most important things is ensuring that there is 128bit encryption when going to enter personal info. If I don't see that I get scurred.

s u b k 0 r
03-12-2006, 8:17 AM
One of the most important things is ensuring that there is 128bit encryption when going to enter personal info. If I don't see that I get scurred.

SSL secured transactions are a must, but also all back end servers should be well secured - if the transaction was encrypted but you _store_ customer data in the clear elsewhere, whats the point of using SSL?

I'd prefer all customer data and order history is wiped after my shopping is done... wouldn't want my tinfoil purchase history harvested by the wrong 3 letter agencies :)

BigMac
03-12-2006, 9:10 AM
Take all credit cards! I hate it when I'm shopping online, find everything I want and go to place my order only to find they dont take my Discover card, think of all the buisness they lose just because they wouldn't set up one more merchant account, that's why Del-ton lost my buisness and Bushmaster got my money instead.

PSST often discover will make more than the merchant on your purchase... thats why we dont take them.
Amex got the can from me too because they make more on high end purchases than I do.

It never fails... some guy will come in, negotiate a really good deal (for him) and then want to put down the most expensive to use credit card in the country.

glen avon
03-12-2006, 10:39 AM
more wimmins

gmcem50
03-12-2006, 12:08 PM

Discover? Dude, come on, no one takes Discover anymore. My father in law is always trying to use his and grumbling about no one accepting it anymore. BTW, he's 77.:D

ajwells
03-13-2006, 12:05 PM
1) Good site design.
2) Fast processing - A MUST, I hate sites that don't process my order for 3 days .
3) Fast shipping - Same as #2.
4) Honest shipping charges. A lot of sites will charge me $20 for shipping and then when i get the package the shipping label says $3.67 or something. Really makes me mad. "Handling" is a load of crap.
5) Good, non-grainy, big, pictures.
6) Goes without saying but cheap prices.

lostark374
03-13-2006, 1:47 PM
my biggest complaint of ordering online is the lack of a quality picture of the item you are buying....i dont mean an altered glamour shot ..i mean a picture of everything included in the box! nothing i hate more then buying something waiting a week to get it to find out that it isnt supplied with a mounting pin or screw. and it takes another week to get that. also a real time inventory is a must. and a choice of shipping companys i hate fedex with a passion.

dhl
03-13-2006, 2:00 PM
Personally, I like good customer service where people actually speak to you or answer emails. There's nothing like great customer service to create a market where customers are actually anxious to contact you and ask questions about products and their use, and the seller give's knowledgeable answers instead of trying to push a product.

I mean, a lot of people are new to things and don't really know what they want. They see a picture of a gun and say I want that, instead of really developing a knowledge of firearms and their own personal shooting style. A good company will learn about their customer base and the individual customer to get the shooter the products and knowledge to use them that will make them both happy.

Oh, and I like those companies that show picturs of chicks with guns.

Happy shooting,

Joe