PDA

View Full Version : Gun Lock for PPT Transfer????

noyo55
04-10-2010, 1:53 PM
I did a PPT with a fellow calgunner in Chico this AM. Lady behind the counter said to bring a trigger lock ( S&W revolver ) before she would release it when I come to pick it up. When I have picked up my others I have brought my lock case for transport and verify that I have a handgun safe. Same for the seller. She said something about this going into effect on Jan.1---I have transfered three since the 1st. without having to bring a lock( or buy one). Are the other three FFLs in error or is she mis-reading something???

The Cable Guy
04-10-2010, 1:56 PM
Bring a lock. If it's required for a long gun like my transfer this morning, it's more than likely required for a handgun.

Librarian
04-10-2010, 2:13 PM
For handguns, until BATFE gets its collective heads out of its collective posterior, you need a lock.

See the Wiki article. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Locks.2C _Safes.2C_and_Laws)

Rigma
04-10-2010, 2:29 PM
It's my understanding that a cable lock is also fine. But that leads me to another question. If you have a truck or wagon, thus no locking trunk, do you need a 2nd lock on the case?

Also, does this change if ammo is or is not in the vehicle as well?

Echidin
04-10-2010, 2:40 PM
Most of the places I've been to will require you to have purchased the lock within the past 30 days and bring in a receipt for proof, otherwise you'll need to purchase a cable lock right then and there.

littlejake
04-10-2010, 4:28 PM
For handguns, until BATFE gets its collective heads out of its collective posterior, you need a lock.

See the Wiki article. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Locks.2C _Safes.2C_and_Laws)

Librarian is right. There is a new Federal requirement that is codified; but BATFE has not ruled on what meets the requirements. As Librarian suggests, read the WIKI article in his post. It seems most dealers are just going with the everything must go out the door with a lock, until BATFE clarifies.

Shotgun Man
04-10-2010, 4:32 PM
It's my understanding that a cable lock is also fine. But that leads me to another question. If you have a truck or wagon, thus no locking trunk, do you need a 2nd lock on the case?

Yes, the handgun has to be in a locked container when transporting it in vehicle, unless it is unloaded and openly exposed. If you don't have a trunk, you have to lock it some container. A cable lock thru the chamber won't cut it.

Librarian
04-10-2010, 4:41 PM

2 different requirements: An FFL cannot deliver a handgun to you unless you have a CA approved lock; TRANSPORT requires a completely-enclosing locked case - a gun lock does not qualify.

A locking trunk DOES qualify.

Presence/absence of ammunition, so long as it is not in the chamber, cylinder or magazine in the mag well, is not an issue.

Mr. Beretta
04-10-2010, 7:55 PM
Most of the places I've been to will require you to have purchased the lock within the past 30 days and bring in a receipt for proof, otherwise you'll need to purchase a cable lock right then and there.

Correct. I just picked up a 9mm today, had to buy the cheap $10 lock. I quit complaining about it. Doesn't do any good. The FFL's aren't going change.

Rigma
04-10-2010, 8:22 PM
Thank you Shotgun Man and Librarian for the clarification.

I did have my new purchase "double-locked" (cable lock & locked container) since I was driving a truck that day, but wondered if I had misunderstood the law.

noyo55
04-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the input I just was confused as to what was expected. I'll buy the lock--that was not the issue I just wanted to be sure of what was going on. The State should put out a handbook of some type clarifying all these legal issues. Probably not much chance of that happening. I did my graduate work in Constitutional and International law and most of the statutes I read are clear as mud!

tintguy
04-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Just buy a lock from somewhere else and then return after you pick up. Most ffl just want you to have one when you pick up.