PDA

View Full Version : 1911 guide rod laser

Musashi
04-05-2010, 3:08 PM
does anyone have any experience with these. how would you compare them to the grip lasers.

Capt_Communist
04-05-2010, 4:36 PM
IMHO lasers are crap... people depend on them too much and don't focus on fundamentals of good marksmanship.

with my 2cents in ..... I did hear they were having issues a while back with the laser guide rods that were breaking due to the weaker metal, but can't confirm where I herd it.

Good luck, and i'm sure people will chime in on this

USMC Tanker
04-05-2010, 6:40 PM
I can see a laser giving someone a slight advantage in a gun fight...worth the price tag? In my case, I don't think so...I'm comfortable with my shooting ability.

At one point I was thinking about putting a guide rod laser in my MC Operator, because a Crimson Trace laser would probably be blocked by the x300 mounted on the frame.

I have two concerns:

1) 1911s build up a lot of carbon on the business end. I fear that after a certain amount of shooting, the lasers brightness and clarity would decrease rapidly, making it simply a very expensive guide rod :rolleyes:

2) The cycling action of a 1911 is extremely violent. Would a guide rod built around an electronic device hold up to a high round count, and the use of hotter defensive ammunition?

Beelzy
04-05-2010, 6:49 PM
Wait....what was that sound??

It was John Moses Browning rolling over in his grave!

Laser Devices are more of a safety thing......make the Rookie use one so when you
clear a room or house, you will be aware if they accidentally "cover" you. LOL!

Bug Splat
04-05-2010, 9:17 PM
lasers are worthless on pistols. They do nothing but slow you down and block learning good/correct fundamentals. I've never met, seen, or heard of a good or fast shooter with a laser. They just don't exist.

f33dback
04-05-2010, 9:26 PM
I practice sights, because you never know when your laser battery will fail etc. But I can say this about my green laser, it takes no aim to hit a target, you can shoot from the hip, I can acquire a target quickly and the bullet goes where the laser is, I like that a lot.

But if you don't learn trigger control, or how to aim without a laser, then lasers worse than useless, plus you have to zero it in, and I'm not sure if those guide rod lasers can be adjusted for windage and elevation.

If you can shoot well with sights try out a laser, red ones don't show up to well in daylight, green ones do, one other thing it's an entirely different shooting style with a laser, you won't be putting it up to your eye to aim.

NiteQwill
04-05-2010, 9:29 PM
Wait... they put lasers on guns? Since when?

LCU1670
04-05-2010, 9:35 PM
I can see a laser giving someone a slight advantage in a gun fight...worth the price tag? In my case, I don't think so...I'm comfortable with my shooting ability.

At one point I was thinking about putting a guide rod laser in my MC Operator, because a Crimson Trace laser would probably be blocked by the x300 mounted on the frame.

I have two concerns:

1) 1911s build up a lot of carbon on the business end. I fear that after a certain amount of shooting, the lasers brightness and clarity would decrease rapidly, making it simply a very expensive guide rod :rolleyes:

2) The cycling action of a 1911 is extremely violent. Would a guide rod built around an electronic device hold up to a high round count, and the use of hotter defensive ammunition?

My wife has had one in her EB SF for two yrs +, has had 1000's of rounds threw it. It works fine. I change the bushing for her every 1000 rounds. There IS a lot of carbon, so you need a bunch of q-tips. I don't like the way you have to turn it on and off (modified slide stop).

ojisan
04-05-2010, 9:41 PM
Haven't used one (yet).
However, it's a good idea, having the laser inside the guide rod puts it about as close to the bore line as possible...making for less change it point of impact as shooting distances vary.
Compact, too, fits in standard holsters.

HCz
04-05-2010, 9:43 PM
Grip lasers seem to be more durable. I witnessed one Lasermax fail on Glock 27 in person. I also heard about another one.(not interenet) If I were to get a laser I'd get CrimsonTrace or something attached to a light.

tiko
04-05-2010, 10:06 PM
CTs are better, mine got 2000 rds through, still zero out, don't need to adjust.

randy
04-06-2010, 1:51 AM
Lasers are tools. They're not for everybody, or for every instance. I've used both the CT and the LM internal.

I've had problems with firearm reliability with the LM installed. That was years ago they might be better now.

While I'm not big on Laser sites if I were going to spend my money on them it would be Crimson Trace. I do like them on a J Frame.

civilsnake
04-06-2010, 10:31 AM
does anyone have any experience with these. how would you compare them to the grip lasers.

Judging by your avatar, I'm guessing you want to put a laser guide rod into an Operator...

Sam
04-06-2010, 11:28 AM
The crimson trace will work on a 1911 with a surefire light attached on the rail.

They're just another tool to be used in conjunction with iron sights and not as the primary sights.

Musashi
04-06-2010, 1:13 PM
Judging by your avatar, I'm guessing you want to put a laser guide rod into an Operator...

lmao i sorta felt my avatar was more subtle than that... actually im pretty new to handguns in general, so i was just wondering what people opinions on these lasers were. Plus i dont own a Operator :/

I find this topic interesting though cause i grew up using the iron sites on rifles, and sorta felt like using scopes on them was cheating. I guess its not really the same thing...

I more so wanted to know what people thought of them in comparison to the grip lasers. Personally i have no experience with lasers at all, never used a firearm with one of them.

Musashi
04-06-2010, 1:18 PM
Guess i could also mention that i have no where near enough money to spend on a laser sight. im just interested in opinions on them, and if anyone has experience on the guide rod ones having problems, which i would expect over the grip ones.

civilsnake
04-06-2010, 2:42 PM
lmao i sorta felt my avatar was more subtle than that... actually im pretty new to handguns in general, so i was just wondering what people opinions on these lasers were. Plus i dont own a Operator :/

Metal Gear fans tend to notice each other, that's all. I did have an Operator, ala Old Snake. It was nice but I ended up selling it to free up a little cash.

Typically you will find people less fond of guide rod lasers as they replace a critical component in the operating system. That makes people uneasy. Laser grips are easier to get behind as failure doesn't necessarily render the weapon impotent.

My opinion of lasers in general: a useful tool that should not be used as a substitute for good general skills and practice. It adds capability without subtracting anything, so there's no reason not to have it (other than cost). Practice with the sights and the laser and you'll have an edge.

GB0
04-06-2010, 3:42 PM
I have CT's on my 1911 and while I really like them for studying trigger habits, there are a few things to be aware of:

(1) If your 1911 has an ambi-safety, you will need to grind down the right-side safety lever to clear the anode portion of the grips.

(2) If the rounded end of your slide stop lever protrudes, like most do, the laser beam will refract off it and sometimes cause a mild distortion, YMMV.

(3) After a few hundred rounds, depending on wind and how dirty the ammo is, the laser housing will need to be swabbed out, as the dot gets big and blurry.

Other than that, I am a happy CT customer. I would not change my guide rod or use the Laser Max.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/GreenBar0n/P1200007.jpg

bn91205
04-06-2010, 5:42 PM
I prefer the Crimson Trace grips to the Lasermax (guide rod) type. The Lasermax, because of the proximity to the end of the muzzle, will get dirty all too quickly. Also, the Lasermax beam cannot be covered up unless you completely shut it off. In CQC situations where you are dependant on cover and the ability to move about without being seen, the Crimson Trace beam can be hidden with your index finger until you are ready to engage.

Not going to get into the debate on the merits of having a laser on a pistol, but there are certainly advantages IMO.

Brian

1911Operator
04-07-2010, 12:07 AM

if what your shooting at cant be knocked down with just one mag from a 1911, then you shouldnt be shooting at it, you should just drop your gun and run like hell! hahahahaha