PDA

View Full Version : Buds gun shop is the devils spawn!

Synergy
04-05-2010, 2:05 PM
:reddevil: Kidding

This state is really pissing me off and Bud's has guns I want! I am already on my Wesson CBOB, so from 4/2 I have to wait till 5/2 to DROS my USP. If you have more than a gun for each hand you should be exempt from the 30 day wait. Yes I know I could PPT and bypass that. But, but.... Buds has some good police trade ins on a USP full size and 92FS

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/654_774

So guys and gals if you are in the market. Here are a couple deals.

Ducman
04-05-2010, 2:10 PM
Damn!, must resist :mad:

kf6tac
04-05-2010, 2:48 PM
Ugh, you're right, they are the devil's spawn. I just cruised around the rest of their site after hitting the link you provided and in addition to having some awesome trade-ins, they have some new pistols that I've been wanting but can't buy due to the damn 30 days.

Aircraftman
04-05-2010, 2:54 PM
Why don't you get a COE?

dachan
04-05-2010, 3:27 PM
Why don't you get a COE?

Or find yourself a more friendly dealer. I've got some stuff here that won't be DROS'ed till July due to 1/30.

dfletcher
04-05-2010, 5:42 PM
Federal C & R FFL and CA COE exempts buyer from 1 per 30 on all handguns. FFL cost $30.00 for 3 years, COE is about $120.00 for the 1st year and $22.00 per year thereafter. Each takes about 15 minutes to complete, one short appointment to get the CA fingerprinting.

Synergy
04-05-2010, 5:50 PM
Federal C & R FFL and CA COE exempts buyer from 1 per 30 on all handguns. FFL cost $30.00 for 3 years, COE is about $120.00 for the 1st year and $22.00 per year thereafter. Each takes about 15 minutes to complete, one short appointment to get the CA fingerprinting.

Thanks - I am filling out the paperwork right now. Weeeeeeeeeee I get live scanned for a 4th time! :p

corvetteguy
04-05-2010, 6:37 PM
What is a COE? Thanks!

turbosbox
04-05-2010, 8:42 PM

I have a Curio and Relic application in the mail to me, but I think I might skip that and get an FFL where I can buy more modern stuff, as I can only think of one antique I'm interested in at the moment.
Local shops asking 65$-$100 for each transfer. Not worth getting an FFL unless you buy several a year which many of us do.
Local GS did mention on thing on getting an FFL is that you could get an audit. I don't have anything illegal if they did audit me but it does raise a counterpoint to getting the FFL with audits and recordkeeping requirements if you are not committed to it all.

Aircraftman
04-06-2010, 7:51 AM
PM'd this to corvetteguy but then thought others could use the info too.

Cheers

COE is Certificate of Eligibility. It is a “license” issued by the CA DOJ that among other things allows you to DROS up to 30 guns per month instead of the 1 per month that non-holders are allowed (PPT's are of course unlimited to all including the general public).

You fill out the below application and submit electronic fingerprints and in about 3 – 4 weeks you get your certificate in the mail (provided you pass the background check).

I got my prints at my small local police department (avoid the larger PD as they are usually very busy and don’t really want to be bothered). I think I paid $80 for the whole thing.

It also doubles as proof of residency so you don’t have to haul around your PG&E and tax records for every buy (still need your HSC though), and proves to most 01 FFL’s that you are a serious gun collector.

I’ve attached the PDF for the COE application.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf

bombadillo
04-06-2010, 8:02 AM
Yeah, they may be getting some of my money soon. Tikka .308 lite or Remington 700p. As well as a Ruger MKIII unless I find one locally for cheap. I hate them.

1 SIG fan
04-06-2010, 10:20 AM
really???? This works? They'll accept bassed on Collector status? Anything specific require a 'collector'? If this goes through it's AWESOME. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

PM'd this to corvetteguy but then thought others could use the info too.

Cheers

COE is Certificate of Eligibility. It is a “license” issued by the CA DOJ that among other things allows you to DROS up to 30 guns per month instead of the 1 per month that non-holders are allowed (PPT's are of course unlimited to all including the general public).

You fill out the below application and submit electronic fingerprints and in about 3 – 4 weeks you get your certificate in the mail (provided you pass the background check).

I got my prints at my small local police department (avoid the larger PD as they are usually very busy and don’t really want to be bothered). I think I paid $80 for the whole thing.

It also doubles as proof of residency so you don’t have to haul around your PG&E and tax records for every buy (still need your HSC though), and proves to most 01 FFL’s that you are a serious gun collector.

I’ve attached the PDF for the COE application.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf

1 SIG fan
04-06-2010, 11:17 AM
So apparently you have to have a collectors license...

pythonman
04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
As a newbie - novice; if I buy a gun from them, which laws apply? I noticed the Baretta 92s has a 15 round mag.

Aircraftman
04-06-2010, 9:55 PM
really???? This works? They'll accept bassed on Collector status? Anything specific require a 'collector'? If this goes through it's AWESOME. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

Yes it works I use it often.

It takes nothing more than getting fingerprinted. You do not have to have any special qualifications or reasons other than passing the background check (criminal check).

The COE is a State document and you use it to exempt the state law on DROS limitations

The 03 FFL (C&R) is also easy to get and helpful, but it is a Federal document and is used for exemption on BATF issues (like moving guns interstate).

It is a good idea to get them both at the same time, but not necessary.

So get these licenses and buy more guns!!!!!!!

Aircraftman
04-06-2010, 9:57 PM
I have a Curio and Relic application in the mail to me, but I think I might skip that and get an FFL where I can buy more modern stuff, as I can only think of one antique I'm interested in at the moment.
Local shops asking 65$-$100 for each transfer. Not worth getting an FFL unless you buy several a year which many of us do.
Local GS did mention on thing on getting an FFL is that you could get an audit. I don't have anything illegal if they did audit me but it does raise a counterpoint to getting the FFL with audits and recordkeeping requirements if you are not committed to it all.

Getting a 01 FFL license is a completely different thing. It is not easy to do and is subject to heavy oversight and intrusion. Plus in some towns you are required to have a store front

BTW, my apologizes to the OP for highjacking his tread…

bsg
04-07-2010, 7:41 AM
i guess the more complicated it gets, the more you can consider yourself a treasure hunter; tenacity prevails even when your government has decided it knows what's best for you....

-Brady-

BossHog
04-07-2010, 10:05 AM
As a newbie - novice; if I buy a gun from them, which laws apply? I noticed the Baretta 92s has a 15 round mag.

I've purchased about 12 pistols from Bud's. They won't ship that gun to CA with a 15 round mag and they won't swap out the mags for 10 rounders either.

You need to select a gun that's on the CA DOJ approved roster and has a mag capacity no greater than 10 rounds.

pythonman
04-07-2010, 2:32 PM
I've purchased about 12 pistols from Bud's. They won't ship that gun to CA with a 15 round mag and they won't swap out the mags for 10 rounders either.

You need to select a gun that's on the CA DOJ approved roster and has a mag capacity no greater than 10 rounds.

Will they ship it without the mag, and I can get my own 10 round mag here? I am leaning towards the collectors license...

Synergy
04-07-2010, 3:30 PM
BTW, my apologizes to the OP for highjacking his tread…

No worries BCG...Its good information, I and others have learned something new. Thanks

KillZone45
04-07-2010, 3:44 PM
Oh man I got really excited when I saw the OD frame'd XDm, good price too!
I was conjuring up how I could get the gun but I dont want to have to pin the mags, oh well one day I will have an XDm:)

dan12580
04-07-2010, 4:47 PM
Not to threadjack but I think its something a lot of us would want to know- does a COE make you roster exempt? Damn that would be awesome. Thanks and let's keep it on topic fellas.

anne2010
04-07-2010, 4:52 PM
Oh man I got really excited when I saw the OD frame'd XDm, good price too!
I was conjuring up how I could get the gun but I dont want to have to pin the mags, oh well one day I will have an XDm:)

If so I bet she would oblige us with hot foot photos :'D

nn3453
04-07-2010, 5:46 PM
Not to threadjack but I think its something a lot of us would want to know- does a COE make you roster exempt? Damn that would be awesome.

Nope.

BossHog
04-07-2010, 5:59 PM
Will they ship it without the mag, and I can get my own 10 round mag here? I am leaning towards the collectors license...

Unfortunately they're pretty strict about shipping firearm packages "as is". That means no changes to the contents whatsoever.

Synergy
04-07-2010, 6:03 PM
Unfortunately they're pretty strict about shipping firearm packages "as is". That means no changes to the contents whatsoever.

Something to consider is using a middleman FFL like Quentin Laser.
http://www.quentin-laser.com/index.html