PDA

View Full Version : Reloaded ammo = weak ammo = failures?

BMWguy206
04-05-2010, 8:48 AM
Hey guys!

I am still a bit new into the handgun area but I am having an issue with my Glock 35.

The first 50 rounds I fired had no issues with brand new factory ammo.

I then added a tungsten guide rod with a heavier recoil spring. The next 1000 rounds were all reloaded ammo. I then experienced 1 double feed every 20 or 30 rounds. At this point I was started to get a bit bummed out so I decided to remove the tungsten guide rod with spring and put back the factory guide rod with stock spring.
No double feeds on the next 50 reloaded ammo. Problem solved.. or so I thought.

A few days later I attended my first pistol competition event only to have a FTF or double feed on every stage setup. Again this was on reloaded ammo but everything is stock now. My friend with a Glock 23 was using brand new factory ammo and had no issues.

Is it highly likely that what I'm experiencing is due to weak ammo because it's reloaded? I clean my Glock 35 after every time I am done shooting. The extractor has no damage. I used 4 different magazines which are only a month old.

In a way these failures kind of helped because now I can quickly identify the problem and correct it. Before it took me like 10 seconds to clear the problem. Now I got it down to around 3 seconds.

Here's a video of me shooting and I think the first failure was a jam or FTF. The 2nd one I think was a double feed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gZryKZoT0A

Here's the 2nd video when I experienced a double feed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUfO_0fJjx8

And please no comments about the "Glock being crappy or I shouldn't have gotten a Glock or should've gotten this or that."

Thanks!

Black Majik
04-05-2010, 8:53 AM
I then added a tungsten guide rod with a heavier recoil spring.

Jon,

Use the stock guide rod/spring setup and see if the reloaded ammo works. I'm willing to bet the heavier spring is the cause for the malfunction, because the ammo doesn't have enough power to cycle the slide.

BMWguy206
04-05-2010, 8:56 AM
Jon,

Use the stock guide rod/spring setup and see if the reloaded ammo works. I'm willing to bet the heavier spring is the cause for the malfunction, because the ammo doesn't have enough power to cycle the slide.

Hey Rich!

Yes I switched back to the stock one and still had the same issue. I do have 50 rounds of factory ammo (Blazer) so I might try that and see what happens. I just wanted to get another opinion.

Black Majik
04-05-2010, 9:01 AM
Oops I missed that part. Hmm... it can be a number of things. What brand of reloaded ammo? It could be weak ammo, or incorrect overall length.

I wouldn't worry about it if your gun runs fine on factory ammo. Good luck, let us know how it runs.

Voo
04-05-2010, 9:13 AM
In all likelihood, it's a combination of ammo and recoil spring. Those are the 2 easiest things to address..

First off, unless you're shooting super high pressure ammo (which I dont really recommend out of a stock glock .40 barrel) there's almost no reason to switch to a heavier recoil spring. This will almost certainly cause failure to eject or failure to feed malfunctions. The gun is NOT designed to run on a heavier spring. Keep the recoil spring stock or lighter.

The ammo- Reloaded ammo is almost always loaded 'lighter' than factory. Since guns are made to run with typically "hotter" ammo, more often than not, there's not enough force generated to cycle the gun properly..

Potential Solutions :
Get a lighter recoil spring, try something like 15 or 14 lbs (I wouldnt go anything less in the .40 caliber unless you can tailor the reloads to your gun)

Or, using your stock spring setup, use more manly ammo.. Factory or stronger reloads..

ISMI springs from brownells are something liek 6 bucks a piece.. I'd get a few of those and try it out.. since doing this will also let you use your tungsten guide rod..

I watched the video, your malfunctions are pretty consistent with weak ammo/strong spring.. It doesnt look like an OAL problem.. You'd have trouble on more rounds, more frequently if it was this.. Rich doesnt reload or shoot competition anymore, he's out of touch with us pistol shooters! sucka! :43:

Black Majik
04-05-2010, 9:21 AM
Rich doesnt reload or shoot competition anymore, he's out of touch with us pistol shooters! sucka! :43:

Hater! :D

EBR Works
04-05-2010, 9:28 AM
Whose reloads are you using?

Corbin Dallas
04-05-2010, 9:28 AM
Hey guys!

I am still a bit new into the handgun area but I am having an issue with my Glock 35.

The first 50 rounds I fired had no issues with brand new factory ammo.

I then added a tungsten guide rod with a heavier recoil spring. The next 1000 rounds were all reloaded ammo. I then experienced 1 double feed every 20 or 30 rounds. At this point I was started to get a bit bummed out so I decided to remove the tungsten guide rod with spring and put back the factory guide rod with stock spring.
No double feeds on the next 50 reloaded ammo. Problem solved.. or so I thought.

A few days later I attended my first pistol competition event only to have a FTF or double feed on every stage setup. Again this was on reloaded ammo but everything is stock now. My friend with a Glock 23 was using brand new factory ammo and had no issues.

Is it highly likely that what I'm experiencing is due to weak ammo because it's reloaded? I clean my Glock 35 after every time I am done shooting. The extractor has no damage. I used 4 different magazines which are only a month old.

In a way these failures kind of helped because now I can quickly identify the problem and correct it. Before it took me like 10 seconds to clear the problem. Now I got it down to around 3 seconds.

Here's a video of me shooting and I think the first failure was a jam or FTF. The 2nd one I think was a double feed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gZryKZoT0A

Here's the 2nd video when I experienced a double feed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUfO_0fJjx8

And please no comments about the "Glock being crappy or I shouldn't have gotten a Glock or should've gotten this or that."

Thanks!

I would not generalize about reloaded ammo being "weak". It really all depends on who reloaded it and what they used.

In all honesty, if you're paying for reloaded ammo (at about 1/2 the cost of new) and you didn't reload it yourself, you got what you paid for.

When I used to purchase reloaded ammo, I bought it from MiWall. For a long time I had no problems until that one day when I had all sorts of issues with bullet setback and improper crimping.

That was the day I decided to learn how to reload for myself and I have never looked back.

The only person I have to blame now for any problems is myself.

After reading your post, I'd say you got a bunk batch of ammo from whoever you bought it from. Not sure I'd continue to use it, but that's your choice.

BMWguy206
04-05-2010, 9:31 AM
I bought a 1000 reloads from a vendor at the Glendale Gun Show. It was just given to me in a no name brown box and a plastic bag containing the ammo.

EBR Works
04-05-2010, 9:43 AM
As previously noted, nothing wrong with reloads if they are done by someone competent and using correct load data. Sounds like the stuff you bought may not be to up to spec. Call them and ask for a refund.

I have had purchased reloaded ammo that was not correctly loaded. I had to pull it all apart and reload to correct specification.

Voo
04-05-2010, 9:50 AM
I would not generalize about reloaded ammo being "weak".

I'll disagree. In general the pistol reloads you see people shooting at ranges or competitions will be much weaker than factory.. Expand your sample size and youll see that reloads are much softer when compared to factory.

This is from years of shooting competitively at both IPSC and IDPA matches as well as reloading.. Ask people what they shoot when you hear everyone's "pop pop" vs "BOOM"... and youll see the guys that go boom are often factory ammo shooters.. I've personally chronoed Miwall, NATO, WWB, AE, Remington, CCI.. By far the Miwall stuff is really underpowered..

I've also manned the chrono station at the AZ Single Stack match for a bit and got to see what people were shooting thru their guns.. NONE of the reloaders were shooting hot.. The fastest bullet was from factory ammo WWB.

BMWguy206
04-05-2010, 9:51 AM
As previously noted, nothing wrong with reloads if they are done by someone competent and using correct load data. Sounds like the stuff you bought may not be to up to spec. Call them and ask for a refund.

I have had purchased reloaded ammo that was not correctly loaded. I had to pull it all apart and reload to correct specification.

I was emailed by the company about the tungsten guide rod and they recommend to lower the spring rate. They said this assuming I was using factory ammo. They didn't know I was using reloads.

I might just keep the tungsten guide rod and install the factory spring on that one.

HCz
04-05-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm guessing ammo as the culprit. Many different reloads have different amount of powder in it. For example, Cal Ammo's reloads are ok for general plinking, but I've heard that some other lesser known reloaders have varying amount of powders in cartridge.

BamBam-31
04-05-2010, 10:42 AM
The rod shouldn't affect anything (other than tame muzzle flip a bit). It's the recoil spring and ammo combination that's most likely the culprit.

Try shooting factory loads thru your gun. If it cycles/functions perfectly, then it's not the gun.

"Reloads" could mean a whole bunch of stuff. Black Hills is reloads, but it's primo stuff compared to some of the typical no-name gun show fare. Since you're buying reloads, I'm assuming cost is something of an issue. If that's the case, START RELOADING! :thumbsup:

It might cost a bit in the beginning, but you'll save lots in the long run, especially if you shoot a lot. AND, most importantly, you control the quality of your own ammo. Start saving that brass, man. ;)

Corbin Dallas
04-06-2010, 8:26 PM
I'll disagree. In general the pistol reloads you see people shooting at ranges or competitions will be much weaker than factory.. Expand your sample size and youll see that reloads are much softer when compared to factory.

This is from years of shooting competitively at both IPSC and IDPA matches as well as reloading.. Ask people what they shoot when you hear everyone's "pop pop" vs "BOOM"... and youll see the guys that go boom are often factory ammo shooters.. I've personally chronoed Miwall, NATO, WWB, AE, Remington, CCI.. By far the Miwall stuff is really underpowered..

I've also manned the chrono station at the AZ Single Stack match for a bit and got to see what people were shooting thru their guns.. NONE of the reloaders were shooting hot.. The fastest bullet was from factory ammo WWB.

You might want to increase your sample size as well and see if people like myself who reload "soften" up the load.

I personally load to factory spec for my range ammo. I want to practice with what I may have to use in a real life situation.

I can't speak for others, but to generalize that reloaded ammo is weak or under powered is akin to the LA times poll about illegal immigration. It is a very small sample size.

XDRoX
04-06-2010, 8:50 PM
I bought a 1000 reloads from a vendor at the Glendale Gun Show. It was just given to me in a no name brown box and a plastic bag containing the ammo.

I would not generalize about reloaded ammo being "weak". It really all depends on who reloaded it and what they used.

I'm with Voo on this one. Especially reloads from a gun show that come in a brown box. Chances are they were made with the cheapest bullets (light weight) and the minimal charge (in order to stretch it out).

Personally I'd never shoot any reloads in any of my guns that I did not reload myself. The risks out way the benefits IMO.

HCz
04-06-2010, 8:52 PM
I'm sure Voo has seen enough instances to justify his position. I can also add instances of commercial ammo that is underloaded compared to factory loads. I mentioned Cal Ammo in my previous post, and the difference is there IMO. This is the ammo that a lot of ranges use here in So Cal.

Dubels
04-06-2010, 10:24 PM

The OP's problem sounds like to heavy of a spring for weaker loads. Since you have the aftermarket rod already you might as well try lighter springs. If you can get access to a chrono, run the reloads through it and then some factory rounds. It sounds like the reloads are just too weak.

Factory WWB in 9mm is supposed to have around a 135 PF, which is not all that hot. Most competition shooters must reach a minor 125 PF, but most that I have talked to load to about 130 just in case there are problems such as weather that change the powder characteristics. I load my 9mm to around 130PF. I am going to go chrono some rounds this weekend to see how my new 147 loads compare to RmAmmo reloads, Miwall reloads, and WWB.

frankiejoe577
04-07-2010, 1:25 AM
When I first started reloading I had the same problem every once and awhile a case would not eject and I would get a double feed or ftf because the empty case was still in the barrel. Turns out the suggested load was not enough for my Glock. I bumped it up a little and it works great now. The loads are hot but work great. prob the same issue. If you can afford it I would get more brand name ammo and try a few hundred rounds hopefully you will have no problems and clearly tell that it was the reloads. I would still use them, just know that they are not as reliable as other ammo.

randy
04-07-2010, 6:01 AM
Could be lack of lube or a limp wrist or light ammo or any number of things the video doesn't show much as far as malfs go.

Pull the barrel and do a chamber check or get a go no go gage from Dillion.

If the rounds are down loaded a bit you might have to pay more attention to how well you are holding on to your gun.

huck
04-07-2010, 5:15 PM
I have shot over 1000 rounds of reloaded .40 that I bought at RM Ammo and if anything, the stuff is heavier than the normal factory loads. I had a RO at USPSA event say that my ammo seemed to be "hotter than normal". Reloaded ammo is probably not going to be as consistent as factory ammo. I try to use only factory at the events now and shoot the reloads for range practice.