PDA

View Full Version : Last day to use GSSF Certs

pingpong
03-30-2010, 8:20 PM
Tomorrow is the last day to use the GSSF certificates (expires 4/1), so I'm planning on heading over to LC Action to start my 10-days. I've been mulling over the choices in my head for the past 2 months, and I've been flip flopping every week on which Glock to get.

I've finally narrowed it down to the G23 and G27, but I'm completely stuck now. I think it would be neat to have a baby Glock, but in CA with no end in sight regarding the anti-ccw policies, it doesn't seem that useful since I won't be able to take advantage of its subcompactness. On the other hand, almost all my other handguns are fullsize/"compact", and I'd like to branch ot a bit (diversity is good after all, at least for guns). Thoughts?

Voo
03-30-2010, 8:27 PM
i use to buy guns with the idea of "collecting" them but I'm over that.. After selling off a few of them, Im taking the attitude of only getting guns I know I'll shoot/use..

As for your subcompact, I cant' see myself shooting something like that all that often.. just not as practical or as enjoyable as a fullsize gun..If you had a CCW that would be a very different story.. but I imagine the novelty wearing off after a few magazines.. but thats me.. YMMV

I would get something like a G19 or a 34

XDRoX
03-30-2010, 8:42 PM
I kind of see it a little different. I see it as full size pistols are kind of a waste in CA because we can't utilize their full capacity potential. Plus, you may at some time be able to carry the 27, if not here then maybe in another state. That is of course assuming you don't have pre-ban mags. I have pre-ban mags, but never use them because I don't want to deal with the hassle of getting questioned. For me it's just not worth the trouble.

But on the other hand the 23 is also a nice little pistol, so it's a tough call either way.

What Glocks do you have now?

Gryff
03-31-2010, 12:08 AM
I used mine at LC Action yesterday. First, they tried to hit me up for the new GSSF price (about $30 over the certificate price).

I told them to cancel the sale. They said that they had already submitted the DROS, but I said that wasn't my problem since they were changing the price on me.

One of the managers called Glock and then came back and said they would honor the certificate price, but that they would charge me the extra $15 for shipping (even though they had the gun in stock). Unfortunately, since the certificate says they can charge the $15 shipping, I had to pay it.

pingpong
03-31-2010, 12:16 AM
I used mine at LC Action yesterday. First, they tried to hit me up for the new GSSF price (about $30 over the certificate price).

I told them to cancel the sale. They said that they had already submitted the DROS, but I said that wasn't my problem since they were changing the price on me.

One of the managers called Glock and then came back and said they would honor the certificate price, but that they would charge me the extra $15 for shipping (even though they had the gun in stock). Unfortunately, since the certificate says they can charge the $15 shipping, I had to pay it.

Wow, well that sucks. I'd only be saving $15 over what I could get anytime after April 1 when the new pricing kicks in...

I'm tempted to not even go pick one up tomorrow out of principle.

EDIT: Meh, screw it, I want one bad enough that I can look past the $15. It's worth about a box of ammo nowadays anyways...

Brianguy
03-31-2010, 12:21 AM
i use to buy guns with the idea of "collecting" them but I'm over that.. After selling off a few of them...

Shame on you for selling them:chris:

Gryff
03-31-2010, 1:45 AM
Wow, well that sucks. I'd only be saving $15 over what I could get anytime after April 1 when the new pricing kicks in...

I'm tempted to not even go pick one up tomorrow out of principle.

EDIT: Meh, screw it, I want one bad enough that I can look past the $15. It's worth about a box of ammo nowadays anyways...

Yeah, but even after the price change, you're getting a G17/G22 for $425 or a G34/35 for $507. That's a pretty good deal.

Greg-Dawg
03-31-2010, 4:39 AM
Get the G27.

Dubels
03-31-2010, 8:21 AM
Under the new program I think I am going to get my G34 at a non-Leo store. The G34's they have all have the 5lb trigger connector. I rather not have to pay for another 3.5 connector. Damn that kind of sucks about LC Action trying to get more from you. I really wish I got involved in the old program a long time ago, I would have my G34 right now.

pingpong
03-31-2010, 1:06 PM
Got the G27 from LC Action at 475 OTD.

Greg-Dawg
03-31-2010, 3:13 PM
Got this OTD for $398.20 using the GSSF cert.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/G17Gen42004.jpg

hella agg
03-31-2010, 3:55 PM
Got this OTD for $398.20 using the GSSF cert.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/G17Gen42004.jpg[IMG]

Where at?

And can somebody explain the GSSF cert to me? Or what exactly is expiring and whatnot. I've been a member for a little over half a year now and I haven't requested a cert yet. I got the e-mail stating that they're changing the program and all I have to do is show up with my GSSF ID card. I was going to go later this week.

I'm interested in the Gen 4 G17's, either that or a Gen 3 G19. Leaning more toward the G17, though.

Gryff
03-31-2010, 4:28 PM
And can somebody explain the GSSF cert to me? Or what exactly is expiring and whatnot. I've been a member for a little over half a year now and I haven't requested a cert yet. I got the e-mail stating that they're changing the program and all I have to do is show up with my GSSF ID card. I was going to go later this week.

I'm interested in the Gen 4 G17's, either that or a Gen 3 G19. Leaning more toward the G17, though.

The Gen4 are not (and will not) be California legal for non-LEOs.

Prior to now, if you were a member of GSSF and wanted the purchase discount, you had to contact them as request a certificate. The certificate listed the pistols available and their prices.

To make the purchase, you had to take the certificate to one of the GSSF dealers. This was the big pain-in-the-butt aspect of it, because if you lived within 100 miles of the dealer, you had to use that dealer. If you lived beyond that limit, you could have the gun shipped to a local dealer. In Northern California, the only GSSF dealer was in San Jose, so a lot of members were faced with a brutal drive (twice) to buy a gun.

The program has now changed (http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf). On the good side, you don't need to request a certificate anymore and GSSF has expanded the number of approved dealers. The bad news is that the gun prices went up around $25-30 and eliminated the option of getting night sights.

To take advantage of the program, you call Glock customer service at 770-432-1202 and get a list of your local dealers. You then take your GSSF membership card into that dealer to make the purchase.

hella agg
03-31-2010, 4:48 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. No option for night sights now, huh? I guess I'll get those dropped in later, and go with a G19 for now.

I knew of the certificate program from before and I guess what you guys mean by 4/1 as the last day to use the certs is when the program switches over.

I figure it's too late to request a cert and have it here by tomorrow (if it even works tomorrow) so I'll sack up the extra money. I'll be heading to LC Action regardless, as I'm local to the south bay.

Greg-Dawg
03-31-2010, 4:49 PM
Where at?

Some GSSF vendors don't know about the price increase, nor the changes. Go contact GT Distributors in TX, for under $400 you wouldn't mind paying for the transfer.

ColdC
03-31-2010, 6:33 PM
I'm shooting so much more consistently with my S&W M&P 9L; I let my certificate expire today....
Still like my G19, and I've got the trigger dialed.....but damn that grip.
Gen 4 is attempting to address this issue but still not ideal for me. Maybe Gen 5?
Don't get me wrong, great gun and GREAT company but I've learned to shoot what works for me.
:coolgleamA:

Gryff
03-31-2010, 7:15 PM
I'm shooting so much more consistently with my S&W M&P 9L; I let my certificate expire today....
Still like my G19, and I've got the trigger dialed.....but damn that grip.
Gen 4 is attempting to address this issue but still not ideal for me. Maybe Gen 5?
Don't get me wrong, great gun and GREAT company but I've learned to shoot what works for me.
:coolgleamA:

I agree. I much prefer my XD over my Glock. But I find that GSSF is fun (especially if I win something), so it's worth having a Glock around.

Dubels
03-31-2010, 7:39 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. No option for night sights now, huh? I guess I'll get those dropped in later, and go with a G19 for now.

I knew of the certificate program from before and I guess what you guys mean by 4/1 as the last day to use the certs is when the program switches over.

I figure it's too late to request a cert and have it here by tomorrow (if it even works tomorrow) so I'll sack up the extra money. I'll be heading to LC Action regardless, as I'm local to the south bay.

They are not issuing new certificates, they haven't since early March. You could get it with Glock Night Sights or Trijcons under the old program. I don't see that option on the new list, give GSSF a call, you should give them a call to see if there is a closer GSSF Dealer than LC Action to you. There should be more dealers in the program now.

Rigma
03-31-2010, 7:40 PM
G19 at $425 + $35 membership + $50 (or more) in gas = $505

Guess buying one local at $550 is not so bad considering the long drive...

What do you think?

pingpong
03-31-2010, 7:42 PM
G19 at $425 + $35 membership + $50 (or more) in gas = $505

Guess buying one local at $550 is not so bad considering the long drive...

What do you think?

I live 20 miles from LC Action and it's on the way to work everyday so I'm good to go :D.

ColdC
03-31-2010, 7:47 PM
Agree Gryff. Last time, I won another two years of membership in GSSF! Gotta admit, Glock's got me hooked! I almost bought a sub with the certificate so I could shoot the sub GSSF.

I agree. I much prefer my XD over my Glock. But I find that GSSF is fun (especially if I win something), so it's worth having a Glock around.

hella agg
03-31-2010, 7:47 PM
They are not issuing new certificates, they haven't since early March. You could get it with Glock Night Sights or Trijcons under the old program. I don't see that option on the new list, give GSSF a call, you should give them a call to see if there is a closer GSSF Dealer than LC Action to you. There should be more dealers in the program now.

LC Action is about 15 minutes from me :)

Too bad about those night sights, now I'm going to have to pay for a 'smith to put them on, and pay for the cost of the actual sights.

igorts
04-07-2010, 11:26 AM
i ordered G29 from LC, but it will take looong time to get it