PDA

View Full Version : Russian SKS 1954r

mkthreetilinfinity
03-08-2010, 11:40 PM
I just got a russian sks lastnight for $225. it came with original straps, some ammos that had "made in russia" printed on the box.
Is that a good price for it?

Kerplow
03-08-2010, 11:46 PM
apparently russian sks's are bringing upwards of $400 these days.

as long as its not a complete pile, i'd say you done pretty good!

btw, you will get better info regarding this in the C&R forum

Josh3239
03-09-2010, 1:14 AM
$225, either you got a killer deal or a messed up SKS. I had a '54 Russian SKS and sold it, big mistake. They are great rifles.

SNEAKS
03-09-2010, 1:24 AM
$225, either you got a killer deal or a messed up SKS. I had a '54 Russian SKS and sold it, big mistake. They are great rifles.

My brother thanks you for it and it has been well taken care of. He piratically sleeps with it.:rofl2:

7.62x54R
03-09-2010, 2:46 AM
Sweet score! :thumbsup:

Rob454
03-09-2010, 3:31 AM
$225, either you got a killer deal or a messed up SKS. They are great rifles.

I agree. Someone needed $$$ IMO. usually Russians are pretty well taken care of.

mkthreetilinfinity
03-09-2010, 7:59 AM
thanks guys. i actually got it from my friend's dad. he said that he got it in '93 fired about 20 rounds and its been in storage since. am i allowed to transport it unloaded in the trunk but not in a locked container? btw, what's the C&R forum?
http://i40.tinypic.com/j0bklv.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/6iso3q.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/dw5out.jpg

Merc1138
03-09-2010, 8:10 AM
The trunk of your car is a locked container.

OneApart
03-09-2010, 8:11 AM
The trunk of your car is a locked container.

It sure is... :thumbsup: good buy IMO.

ddimick
03-09-2010, 8:15 AM
I paid a little more for the same rifle about four or five years ago, it didn't come with any ammo and the lacquer had small chips in a couple places. Shoots great, though. Good deal, congrats.

mls343
03-09-2010, 8:16 AM
Very good buy for $225. Almost brings back memories of the '90's! LOL

OneApart
03-09-2010, 8:16 AM
I paid a little more for the same rifle about four or five years ago, it didn't come with any ammo and the lacquer had small chips in a couple places. Shoots great, though. Good deal, congrats.

IMHO I think Russian SKS's tend to be the best in terms of quality & accuracy.

xrMike
03-09-2010, 8:22 AM
am i allowed to transport it unloaded in the trunk but not in a locked container?Nice score.

The trunk is fine, but you could also transport it on the dashboard if you wanted, as long as it was unloaded (this would be legal, but not advisable). Back seat is fine, floor behind the back seat, fine. It doesn't have to be locked, or unreachable, just unloaded.

Kerplow
03-09-2010, 9:24 AM
btw, what's the C&R forum?

Curio & Relic

it is a sub forum on the forum index page dedicated to ancient battle axes like the one you just picked up!;)

johnrunner89
03-09-2010, 9:30 AM
I'll give you $250 for it :P

Merc1138
03-09-2010, 9:36 AM
Nice score.

The trunk is fine, but you could also transport it on the dashboard if you wanted, as long as it was unloaded (this would be legal, but not advisable). Back seat is fine, floor behind the back seat, fine. It doesn't have to be locked, or unreachable, just unloaded.

Yeah, just for the sake of clarifying my previous post, I was simply meaning that when required, the trunk counts as a locked container, not that a long gun needs to be in a locked container.

Josh3239
03-09-2010, 11:43 AM
My brother thanks you for it and it has been well taken care of. He piratically sleeps with it.:rofl2:

Heh, that was a great rifle. But now it probably sees more range time than I could ever show it. I'm glad he is enjoying it and it went to a good owner ;)

mkthreetilinfinity
03-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I haven't transferred it under my name or whatsoever. We just wrote out an agreement stating that he gave it to me as a gift. Is that a problem in any way?

lorax3
03-09-2010, 12:38 PM
I wil note that unlike CA, federal school zone law does not specifically exempt the trunk as a type of 'locked container'. It mentions only a locked container or locked firearms rack and defines neither term.

If you are transporting a long gun you are exempt from the state school zone law.

I haven't transferred it under my name or whatsoever. We just wrote out an agreement stating that he gave it to me as a gift. Is that a problem in any way?

As long as the rifle is at least 50 years old, then a cash and carry sale would be legal.

gun toting monkeyboy
03-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Are you over 18? Is so, then nope, it ain't a problem. As long as you are not a prohibited person it is just fine. As for the price, that is a great deal for a Russian. Just do future generations a favor, and don't chop it up to make some tacti-cool piece of junk out of it. There are only so many Russian SKSs out there. And they are the cream of the crop when it comes to collecting. The best made, and the highest priced. Only some of the rare varients from other countries are worth more. Shoot it and have fun. With proper care it will outlast your grandchildren.

-Mb

Nick1236
03-09-2010, 1:50 PM
Very nice russian, and for a great price!

I just paid $500 for my early Sino-Soviet and I love it.

50 Freak
03-09-2010, 1:52 PM
I've only see Russian SKS's for that price back in the early 90's.

Good score.

mkthreetilinfinity
03-09-2010, 2:04 PM
I'm not planning on chopping it up but I would love to have a detachable mag. I hate how I have to put ammos thru the top. Is there an easier way that I'm not aware of? Thanks for the infos guys. I'm really new at this.

Mr Wizard
03-09-2010, 2:12 PM
I'm not planning on chopping it up but I would love to have a detachable mag. I hate how I have to put ammos thru the top. Is there an easier way that I'm not aware of? Thanks for the infos guys. I'm really new at this.

I'm pretty sure SKS w/ detachable mag is listed as an assault weapon.
Look on the flow chart here.

I use stripper clips myself.

ddimick
03-09-2010, 2:35 PM
Do not convert to a detachable magazine while you live in this state. You would create something that could send you to prison, which is a hell of a lot more inconvenient than using stripper clips.

Quiet
03-09-2010, 7:44 PM

Use the stripper clips.
It's faster to reload using them, than using the aftermarket duckbill magazines (the use of which is illegal except for RAWs).

Penal Code 12276
As used in this chapter, "assault weapon" shall mean the following designated semiautomatic firearms:
(a) All of the following specified rifles:
(11) SKS with detachable magazine.