PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else tried 9mm Pakistani Surplus?

mydogsmonkey
03-01-2010, 12:18 AM
hey everyone, today i went to the range and tried some 9mm pakistani surplus, man i must say, i thought okay i'll be getting cheap rounds, expect a few FTF but nothing too bad. man this is really bad stuff. i got it from sportsmansguide. i shot about 20 rounds or so, only 2 went off, the rest all had full primer strikes from my 9mm XD but nothing. i got scared after that when someone told me those rounds can still go off with the primer struck so i stopped. i grabbed some from the best looking box and it still had problems. anyone even run into this problem?
what do you think sportsmansguide will do about this? they list it as ammo but this should truly be a decorative item, its from 1974 so maybe a colectible or something, but definitely not shooting stuff. they look like they may have suffered some water or humidity damage from the appearance on the cases and boxes.

Ernest

walter
03-01-2010, 1:34 AM
put it in a glock and if it still doesn't shoot, then you gotta problem

mydogsmonkey
03-01-2010, 2:05 AM

trust me, im almost 100 percent positive it wouldn't work in a glock, i still have a couple left that wouldn't shoot in my 9mm that you could try, being that it came from an XD, im sure it won't work

Voo
03-01-2010, 2:36 AM
Dont' take this badly, but honestly, what DID YOU EXPECT?? Unless there's some serious misdirection, buyer beware takes precedence.

I checked the website for surplus 9mm and saw their ad for Pakistani manufactured ammo. Ive been shooting for a lot of years and you hear stuff about quality of this and that. Unfortunately your experiences haven't lead you to realize the risk with using anything from these 3rd world countries.

There are so many red flags that in all honesty, it's sorta comical that you actually "still" thought it would be "ok" to buy and shoot.

1) its' listed as Pakistani Ammo ('nuff said)
2) Loaded to 1960's standards. What standards are these???
3) corrosive, surplus ammo.
4) the sardine can is completely mauled (from pic)

I'd still call and ask if they could work with you on exchanging any unopened tins. If they're willing to work with you, I would say they were being very generous and that everyone should be so lucky.

tonelar
03-01-2010, 4:44 AM
I'm kinda sore that a batch of 9mm I bought has 1 or 2 duds per box of 50.

Don't buy anything from places where they piss in their drinking water.

LB21
03-01-2010, 5:49 AM
Any Pakistani surplus is usually suspect. If you want to go cheap on ammo, its better to roll your own.

I've never bought from sportsmansguide but if you bought a lot definitely give them a call and see if they can do anything about it.

NSR500
03-01-2010, 5:50 AM
Wow!!! Pakistani, huh???
You're a brave soul because there is so much on the Internet that just screams, "Don't do it!".
Another reason to watch out for that stuff is that there are two types on the market. A load for pistols, and a load spec'd for subguns like the MP5.

dchang0
03-01-2010, 5:54 AM
Keep this in mind too: Is it really worth saving a few bucks to blow off a hand, injure someone nearby (and face a lawsuit), or blow up your gun?

How much is $40 difference between 1000rnds of cheapest and cheaper 9mm ammo?

paul0660
03-01-2010, 6:01 AM
I have returned ammo to SG (not this stuff) and they even paid the shipping. The catalog entry doesn't mention water damage. Call them and yell at them if you have to.......they usually cave in.

Malmon
03-01-2010, 6:14 AM
These ammo are garbage. I too have ordered this from sportsmanguide. Only two out of ten will fire on a Glock 19c. After I made the call and complained, they had UPS picked up the ammo.

Quiet
03-01-2010, 6:38 AM
IMO...

All the Pakistani surplus ammo (9x19mm, 7.62x51mm, .303British) is no-go.

It's all very corrosive and you will consistently get failure to fire or hangfires with the ammo.

Pryde
03-01-2010, 7:22 AM

+1 to that.

Legasat
03-01-2010, 8:11 AM
I went throught this about 6-8 months ago with SG. I bought 1000 rounds of Pakistani 9mm ammo made in the 80's. Not only was it terrible, it was dangerous. Some rounds with feel like they were +P+, and others the bullet barely made it out of the barrel with just a few sparks.

Here is a pic of the brass:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/G2034/Brasspost.jpg

I sent mine back to SG. They refunded my purchase.

mydogsmonkey
03-01-2010, 9:16 AM
good to hear they'll take care of my, i normally do get decent ammo to shoot in my guns, just decided to try this out as i've had good luck with surplus from other countries, i figured the pakistani but have some standards for stuff for their own use, i guess not. i'm definitely gonna go get some decent ammo, thanks all

hawk81
03-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Those are really hot, you can see where your firing pin is dragging across the bottom of the brass.

I went throught this about 6-8 months ago with SG. I bought 1000 rounds of Pakistani 9mm ammo made in the 80's. Not only was it terrible, it was dangerous. Some rounds with feel like they were +P+, and others the bullet barely made it out of the barrel with just a few sparks.

Here is a pic of the brass:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/G2034/Brasspost.jpg

I sent mine back to SG. They refunded my purchase.

SCMA-1
03-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Be careful with old foreign surplus 9mm ammo in general; much of it is intended for use in SMG's and not pistols. Besides being corrosive which really isn't an issue if you clean your weapon right after shooting it, they typically have hard primers and are loaded to much higher levels. I used to get lots of 1960's spanish 9mm ball which ruined a buddy's Beretta 92 locking block because of the high chamber pressures, although I've shot many thousands of this stuff through my HK-94 and other carbines without issue or signs of accelerated wear.