PDA

View Full Version : LCAV benefit dinner, with CNN's Toobin paid by PG&E. July 14, 2010@ Palace Hotel SF

Steyr_223
02-22-2010, 1:13 PM
I thought this should warrant another thread. LCAV is planning a benefit dinner...

http://www.lcav.org/get_involved/anniversary10.asp

CNN Analyst Jeffrey Toobin Keynotes LCAV's 17th Anniversary Dinner

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 — The Palace Hotel, San Francisco
To Honor, To Remember, To Act Together

LCAV is pleased to announce that Jeffrey Toobin, a senior legal analyst for CNN Worldwide and a staff writer for The New Yorker, will deliver the keynote address for our 17th Anniversary Dinner on July 14, 2010.

Mr. Toobin is a journalist and bestselling author with unparalleled expertise on politics, media, and the law; he is also a former Assistant U.S. Attorney. His remarks will shed light on the complex legal issues involved in the McDonald v. Chicago case -- plus, offer an insider's look at the Supreme Court as well as the future of gun regulation in America. Read more about Mr. Toobin here.

Please join the 75 law firms, corporations and foundations that expressed their support for LCAV's mission to prevent gun violence by sponsoring our Anniversary Dinner. Sponsorship is a great way to showcase your organization's commitment to positive change.

To learn more about sponsorship opportunities and benefits, contact Ezra Denney or call (415) 433-2062 ext. 309.
To purchase individual tickets print out & return the ticket request form.

Under Benefactors PG&E is listed. Click on the link it goes to their page.

However, under what rationale does PG&E fund them?

Here are PG&E's contribution guidelines...

http://www.pge.com/about/community/contributions/

PG&E’s goal is to be the leading corporate citizen in the diverse communities we serve. In 2008, we donated $18.7 million to charitable organizations, representing 1.2 percent of pre-tax earnings from operations. In 2009, we expect to provide $19 million in charitable funding. As always, the company’s charitable contributions program will be funded entirely by shareholders and will have no impact on electricity or gas prices.
Funding Areas

We shall continue to emphasize our grantmaking in the area of Environmental and Energy Sustainability. Projects that we may fund include:

* Sustainable Communities: Includes projects that assist in green building efforts, energy efficiency programs, brownfields, and/or urban park projects
* Air: Includes projects that aim to reduce air pollution and/or increase clean air transportation options
* Natural Resources: Includes the protection, conservation and restoration of natural resources, habitats, and non-urban parks, and/or also includes tree planting and replanting efforts and fire area protection and restoration projects
* Climate Change and Renewable Energy: Includes projects that support climate change and/or renewable energy efforts
* Environmental Education: Includes projects whose main goals are to educate the public about environmental issues and/or are education-related projects in schools

BigDogatPlay
02-22-2010, 1:20 PM
As a PG&E stockholder, I think I am little pissed.

jdberger
02-22-2010, 1:24 PM
For the link challenged, here's a list of sponsors.

LCAV thanks our 2009 sponsors!

Leaders
Bingham McCutchen LLP
Coughlin Stoia Geller Rudman & Robbins LLP
Jenner & Block
Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP
Morrison & Foerster LLP
O'Melveny & Myers LLP

Underwriters
BLACK LETTER \ discovery
Farella Braun + Martel
Hemming Morse, Inc., CPAs,
- Litigation and Forensic Consultants
Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
Pillsbury
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP

Patrons
Bartko Zankel Tarrant & Miller
Ross Bricker and Nina Vinik
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
John and Michelle Scully Fund
Keker & Van Nest LLP
Moscone, Emblidge & Quadra LLP
Nixon Peabody LLP
Benefactors
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP
Coblentz, Patch, Duffy & Bass LLP
Cooley Godward Kronish LLP
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
James T. Fousekis
Harowitz & Tigerman LLP
The Herbst Foundation
HIRECounsel / Mestel Company
Howrey LLP
David and Linda Kapnick
Latham & Watkins
Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
Morrison & Foerster Foundation
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
Pacific Gas and Electric Company
Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker LLP
Helen Hilton Raiser
Ropes & Gray LLP
Schiff Hardin LLP
Seyfarth Shaw LLP
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
Squire, Sanders & Dempsey L.L.P.
van Löben Sels/ RembeRock Foundation
William K. and Jean Coblentz Philanthropic Fund
Winston & Strawn LLP

Hosts
Cam and Kate Baker
Carroll, Burdick & McDonough LLP
Alan J. Cox, NERA Economic Consulting
Linda Cronin and Owen Clements
Drinker Biddle & Reath, LLP
David and Linda Kapnick
Littler Mendelson, P.C.
Miller Star Regalia
Mark Mosley
Gail and Dick Odgers
Richards, Watson & Gershon
M. Ryder and Robyn Thomas
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati LLP

Co-Hosts
Kathryn McQueen Barnes
William and Iris Edlund
Hanson Bridgett LLP
i.e., Communications, LLC
Illinois Senator John J. Cullerton
Don and Sheri Joseph
Carol M. Kingsley, Kingsley Mediation Services,
- in memory of Jack Berman
Liuzzi/Murphy/Solomon
Navigant Consulting, Inc.
Rogers Joseph O'Donnell
Sue Ann and Robert Schiff
Sideman & Bancroft LLP
Somach, Simmons & Dunn APC
Radha Stern and Gary Maxworthy
Roderick and Deborah Thompson
Trucker Huss, A Professional Corporation
George Tuttle and Ben Cushman
Amanda and Nick Wilcox

Almost every big firm in CA is represented there....

berto
02-22-2010, 1:30 PM
Note that the list recognizes last year's sponsors, but it doesn't change much as far as the big firms go. I wonder what kind of break, if any, the Palace Hotel is extending to LCAV?

jdberger
02-22-2010, 1:33 PM
It's a "thank you" dinner and an awards show, so it recognizes last year's contributions.

If you want inco about the Palace, give them a call. You never know what people will tell you. Who knows, the Events Manager might be a secret gunny.

;)

dantodd
02-22-2010, 1:58 PM
Disappointed to see WSG&R in the list. I took a lot of business meetings there in a previous life.

Gray Peterson
02-22-2010, 2:19 PM
Orrick Herrington and Sutcliff, the folks that defended Seattle's parks gun ban, is on that list.

bwiese
02-22-2010, 3:10 PM
Folks, why not crash the dinner?

The paltry amounts they make from the dinner really don't help gun efforts that much: LCAV is funded by the Joyce Foundation.

Can you imagine a roomful of nicely-dressed folks unbuttoning their jackets to show "Ask me about my AK47!" T-shirt?

Howzabout a Blues Brothers-style food fight? (Just between the Calgunners, to avoid assault charges on a Bradyite).

Plus, Calgunners working as parking attendants to get participant info (name/address/license # etc).

It'd be fun though not necessarily becoming of us, but these are our enemies anyway.

steadyrock
02-22-2010, 3:12 PM

The paltry amounts they make from the dinner really don't help gun efforts that much: LCAV is funded by the Joyce Foundation.

Can you imagine a roomful of nicely-dressed folks unbuttoning their jackets to show "Ask me about my AK47!" T-shirt?

Howzabout a Blues Brothers-style food fight? (Just between the Calgunners, to avoid assault charges on a Bradyite).

Plus, Calgunners working as parking attendants to get participant info (name/address/license # etc).

I think the flowchart T-shirts would be a hoot. ;)

Steyr_223
02-22-2010, 3:18 PM

It'd be fun though not necessarily becoming of us, but these are our enemies anyway.

I like it!

Would could protest outside the place or even try to get tickets..Video tape the attendees..We would do a Code Pink like action and start chanting from inside the venue.

;)

I am hoping they have it at the Palace's Garden Court, I have had much fun there in the past..

http://www.sfpalace.com/Garden-Court

Chances are it will be held in one of three ballrooms in the first floor..

http://www.sfpalace.com/Meetings

Map of the first floor of the Palace..

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury/property/meetings/floor_map_chart.html?propertyID=373&buildingKey=379572&floorKey=1

BigDogatPlay
02-22-2010, 3:23 PM
Try asking PG&E why they are using shareholder's money to pay into constitutionally challenged causes?

http://www.pge.com/about/company/officers/

Purple K
02-22-2010, 3:29 PM
Food Fight!!!

Ford8N
02-22-2010, 5:33 PM
Passing out flow charts would be an excellent idea.

SchooBaka
02-22-2010, 5:41 PM

Oh man, that would be priceless!!!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Gq1jlinYf0Q/SwFLzJcb-ZI/AAAAAAAAEQ8/ekDLZS31Xmk/s1600/john+belushi+food+fight.jpg

Food Fight!!!!

jb7706
02-22-2010, 6:39 PM
Any chance of a napkin reprint? Pay off the wait staff to pass them out with cocktails? That would be epic IMHO.

yellowfin
02-22-2010, 6:45 PM
Can you imagine a roomful of nicely-dressed folks unbuttoning their jackets to show "Ask me about my AK47!" T-shirt?Wear this one instead.

http://www.advancedarmament.com/repository/product/tee_mens_liberty.jpg

If I was still out that way I'd loan ya one of mine if necessary.

PEBKAC
02-22-2010, 7:00 PM
July 14th is a ways away, plenty of planning time. ;)

I mean, they called jdberger a liar at the Oakland meeting. Why not show up and start passing out flowcharts and/or simple "more legally owned guns = less crime" (or something to that extent) fliers....give them a bit of their own medicine. :D

That or maybe have a bigger benefit dinner in the same hotel on the same day? It would require more coordination and funds but the look on their faces would be priceless.

This has potential. :)

ptoguy2002
02-22-2010, 7:12 PM
If that was in socal, I'd be all up for that.
Hum.... Maybe need a work trip up there about that time.

I think that we could do better than a food fight or AK T shirts though.
Hard questions in the Q/A ??
Flyers for a discount on AKs for LCAV members at our local shop??
Disarmed victim crime scene photos (with appropriate title "Vicitim didn't own a gun to protect themself") passed out during the main course (or that .50 sniper shot photo going around, titled "you see, a 50 isn't any worse than a .30)?

Would cost major $$ to get in though.

CitaDeL
02-22-2010, 7:30 PM
If we are to crash the party in any capacity, we would do well not to publicize our plans in advance.

If there is an organized effort to make a pro-gun statement at said event, I will see what I can do to contribute. I may take time off work for my B-day.

CitaDeL
02-22-2010, 7:32 PM
Why not show up and start passing out flowcharts and/or simple "more legally owned guns = less crime" (or something to that extent) fliers....give them a bit of their own medicine. :D

Try "Guns Save Lives"... (http://www.edsmags.com/)the material is already made-- while these are magnetic, I understand there are buttons too.

wildhawker
02-22-2010, 7:40 PM
Why not just go undercover and ask questions as to their strategy? I wonder how cagey they'll be when the alcohol is flowing and everyone's excited about future gun control opportunities.

dantodd
02-22-2010, 7:41 PM
it would be nice to redecorate the ballroom before the event. In honor of PG&E a blackout would be awesome.

GoodEyeSniper
02-22-2010, 7:42 PM
"No, that's not a legally concealed handgun in my pocket. I'm just happy to see you."

hoffmang
02-22-2010, 7:46 PM
I think we should cause some mischief here...

A lot of the BigLaw folks are doing this because they think they're saving kittens. We should make it far clearer that they face real reputation risks. I think some comparisons with the KKK if executed well could work...

-Gene

ptoguy2002
02-22-2010, 8:02 PM
Its going on the calender.

MODS - You might want to delete this thread !!!!!!
The enemy is watching .......

grunz
02-22-2010, 8:03 PM
Wont the McDonald decision be out by this time? Assuming the best, wouldn't Alan Gura be an interesting guest at this event.. :)

Aleksandr Mravinsky
02-22-2010, 8:11 PM

A lot of the BigLaw folks are doing this because they think they're saving kittens. We should make it far clearer that they face real reputation risks. I think some comparisons with the KKK if executed well could work...

-Gene

Yup. I think we should start finding (making) fliers about the racist roots of gun control, in addition to passing out the usual fliers.

Steyrlp10
02-22-2010, 8:19 PM

Some of the names on the list look waaaay too familiar. The odd thing, as I'm reading, is that PG&E has a tiny indoor range in SF. I used to shoot a few matches there and claimed it as one of my past haunts. Weird...

obeygiant
02-22-2010, 8:26 PM
July 14th is a ways away, plenty of planning time. ;)

I mean, they called jdberger a liar at the Oakland meeting. Why not show up and start passing out flowcharts and/or simple "more legally owned guns = less crime" (or something to that extent) fliers....give them a bit of their own medicine. :D

That or maybe have a bigger benefit dinner in the same hotel on the same day? It would require more coordination and funds but the look on their faces would be priceless.

This has potential. :)

better yet would be to produce 8.5x11 doublesided color prints of the maps we presented at the Oakland City Council meeting.

SJgunguy24
02-22-2010, 8:33 PM
Sounds like the perfect time for a fundraising open carry dinner for CGF/CGN at..........drum roll please.....The Beautiful Palace Hotel!!!!!!

dantodd
02-22-2010, 8:40 PM
would that be the first annual "Benefit to stop racist gun control laws?"

wildhawker
02-22-2010, 8:48 PM
Obey, maybe we could get Mt. View placed in the south bay for those flyers? ;)

bigcalidave
02-22-2010, 8:52 PM
I'm down to crash a party. Always...

BigDogatPlay
02-22-2010, 9:08 PM
The idea of a counter dinner isn't a bad idea. Although publicizing would draw attention to their event as well.

Must find a way to marginalize them......

ptoguy2002
02-22-2010, 9:16 PM
You'd get kicked out of the hotel before too long.....

obeygiant
02-22-2010, 9:21 PM
Obey, maybe we could get Mt. View placed in the south bay for those flyers? ;)

details,details....

i'll hit up goober about fixing that one.

freonr22
02-22-2010, 9:22 PM
so, is this idea, just internet lala fodder, or REally gonna happen?

jdberger
02-22-2010, 9:24 PM
I have an idea.....

ptoguy2002
02-22-2010, 9:27 PM
Here is something you could today:
Get the email addresses of all those attorneys on those web pages liked from the ACAV site (I am sure there is bot that can do it easy), and send them all an email saying that their firm is anti -2A. Some of those firms sites have lots of email links.
I'm sure there is a way to do it so it gets around spam filters.
I'd bet that a lot of those bigger firms with offices in other states wouldn't like that.

spddrcr
02-22-2010, 9:31 PM
I have offered before and ill do it again right now but i make signs, banners and decals and am willing to donate some to the cause just let me know what you guys need:D

wildhawker
02-22-2010, 9:32 PM
Is there an adjacent hotel?

jdberger
02-22-2010, 9:33 PM
so, is this idea, just internet lala fodder, or REally gonna happen?

Dude...this isn't ARFCOM. This is Calguns. We DO stuff.

bsim
02-22-2010, 9:34 PM
The first rule of fight club is you don't talk about fight club.

freonr22
02-22-2010, 9:37 PM
im in! i think timing wise, someone pm me where i can help

oaklander
02-22-2010, 9:42 PM
I think we discuss it openly, because we have large cohones and they don't.

I think what would be EPIC would be a 60 Minutes style guerrilla "interview" with the key players. No matter what they say, they look like fools. Especially after we post it on YouTube.

Of interest would be the contrast between the wealthy liberal lawyers, all dressed up for the ball, and the poor folks over in my hood who can't even afford a gun or buy one because of stupid anti-gun legislation.

"You would deny poor black people the right to defend themselves?"

"What other rights do you wish to deny black people?"

berto
02-22-2010, 9:44 PM
Get the email addresses of all those attorneys on those web pages liked from the ACAV site (I am sure there is bot that can do it easy), and send them all an email saying that their firm is anti -2A. Some of those firms sites have lots of email links.
I'd bet that a lot of those bigger firms with offices in other states wouldn't like that.

The decision to support LCAV and donate money is made high enough up the food chain that email bombing is unlikely to make a difference. The attorneys at those firms know what the firms are up to as LCAV work is offered up to meet pro-bono hours. If you want to email bomb them target the managing partners and practice group heads. Do some research and hit the rainmakers.

Gene's idea to show the non true believers that they've been sold a bill of goods has merit. Some of them might be made uncomfortable enough to stop supporting such nonsense.

ptoguy2002
02-22-2010, 9:46 PM
Some of them might be made uncomfortable enough to stop supporting such nonsense.

And mass emailing all their employees might also too.

I'm on it, downloading an email grabber now.
(Just need some input on what to say in the email)

eric2063
02-22-2010, 9:47 PM
It does not surprise me that PG&E is on the list, there are a butt load of lawyers working for PG&E, and most of them are at the corporate HQ in San Francisco. So logically one of the largest attorney employers in the middle of LCAV territory is bound to be a hot bed of donations and support. I have always felt PG&E is just another face of an evil empire, but then again I have seen the tragedy their corporate greed has produced over the years.

jdberger
02-22-2010, 10:05 PM

House of Shields is across the street.

berto
02-22-2010, 10:05 PM
And mass emailing all their employees might also too.

I'm on it, downloading an email grabber now.
(Just need some input on what to say in the email)

The entry level associate doesn't have any pull. The senior associate is worried about making partner. Target the audience that makes the decisions and forget the rest.

ptoguy2002
02-22-2010, 10:15 PM
The entry level associate doesn't have any pull. The senior associate is worried about making partner. Target the audience that makes the decisions and forget the rest.

It can't hurt, and it makes me feel like I'm doing something.

Gotta chock up 16 bucks for the software though:rolleyes:

hoffmang
02-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Discussing it openly might lead many a lawyer who thought he or she was just saving kittens to decide she has something better to do that night...

-Gene

berto
02-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Discussing it openly might lead many a lawyer who thought he or she was just saving kittens to decide she has something better to do that night...

-Gene

Excellent point.

It can't hurt, and it makes me feel like I'm doing something.

PM me tomorrow if you want a set of eyes to look at what you're going to send.

nick
02-22-2010, 11:22 PM

Get me the list, I'll have it delivered. Email deliverability is a part of my job.

nick
02-22-2010, 11:24 PM
The decision to support LCAV and donate money is made high enough up the food chain that email bombing is unlikely to make a difference. The attorneys at those firms know what the firms are up to as LCAV work is offered up to meet pro-bono hours. If you want to email bomb them target the managing partners and practice group heads. Do some research and hit the rainmakers.

Gene's idea to show the non true believers that they've been sold a bill of goods has merit. Some of them might be made uncomfortable enough to stop supporting such nonsense.

Give me the mailing list and the email, it'll get delivered.

steadyrock
02-22-2010, 11:39 PM

Are you thinking what I am thinking? :cool:

CABilly
02-23-2010, 1:28 AM
What about hacking their projector and playing a short video on the history of gun control in America and abroad and its repercussions. We could have some KKK footage and augment it with parallel quotes from openly racist gun grabbers of yore and the current crop we're dealing with today.

And film the whole thing, of course.

oaklander
02-23-2010, 2:40 AM
http://www.radiantbrands.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/flip_ultra_orange1.jpg

wildhawker
02-23-2010, 2:57 AM
Are you thinking what I am thinking? :cool:

Probably, but in case I'm not we should touch base for a mind meld. :43:

greasemonkey
02-23-2010, 5:23 AM
Are you pondering what I am pondering? :cool:

Umm, I think so, Brain, but what if the chicken won't wear the nylons?

greasemonkey
02-23-2010, 5:33 AM
It does not surprise me that PG&E is on the list, there are a butt load of lawyers working for PG&E, and most of them are at the corporate HQ in San Francisco. So logically one of the largest attorney employers in the middle of LCAV territory is bound to be a hot bed of donations and support. I have always felt PG&E is just another face of an evil empire, but then again I have seen the tragedy their corporate greed has produced over the years.

I know a couple of PG&E engineers and you'd think they won the lottery when the Delta Smelt ruling and San Joaquin River Restoration project went through, they HATE the farmers and hunters with a passion...needless to say, once they found out I'm in the ag industry and fighting for our 2A Rights, well, we don't hang out much.

AJAX22
02-23-2010, 5:46 AM
I'll buy one share of stock if kevin wants to bring a minority shareholder suit against PG&E for failure to observe due diligence with regard to the nature of the organizations they are funding.

;)

dantodd
02-23-2010, 6:15 AM
I'm in if there's any work for me. I'm pretty good with computers, PPT, etc. also happy to help re-decorate, replace napkins, change table center pieces etc. I can also help stuff additional pages into packets of papers if any are being passed out at the dinner and we can intercept....

GrizzlyGuy
02-23-2010, 6:52 AM
Maybe rent one of the other ballrooms or conference rooms in the hotel and do a showing of No Guns for Negroes (http://nogunsfornegroes.net/) at the same time. Proceeds from the ticket sales to benefit a SF charity, with discounted tickets available to LCAV members and benefactors.

Or, buy a bunch of DVDs from JPFO and pass them out to the attendees and any media people that may be covering their event.

greasemonkey
02-23-2010, 6:52 AM
For stuffing papers, the Sac PD memo and CGF accomplishment page would go over really well.

July, huh? That sure leaves us a lot of time for some creativity.

Roadrunner
02-23-2010, 7:32 AM

What's that old saying; "all's fair in love and war" ?

rp55
02-23-2010, 10:11 AM
You can buy your gas from some other than PG&E, they call them Core Transport Agents. It still gets delivered and billed by PG&E and that's where they make their money and why I figured that it's more trouble than it's worth as a protest. On the other hand, if any of the other natural gas sellers (http://www.pge.com/mybusiness/customerservice/energychoice/coregasaggregation/coretransportagents/index.shtml) are pro-2A I would be happy to do the paperwork to switch.

I am not endorsing or opposing any outside causes but I have it on good authority that at least one of those other suppliers got some PR, and many customers as result, about being on the opposite side of Prop 8 than PG&E.

dantodd
02-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Or, buy a bunch of DVDs from JPFO and pass them out to the attendees and any media people that may be covering their event.

I remember back in the olden times when Microsoft had the grand opening of their Silicon Valley Tech Center a bunch of open source guys went and passed out Mosaic or Netscape CDs at the front door to all attendees.

7x57
02-23-2010, 11:38 AM

If the adults(*) are going to sanction hijinks I forsee *trouble*. :43:

7x57

* For the purposes of gun rights anyway. :D

AJAX22
02-23-2010, 11:51 AM
If the adults(*) are going to sanction hijinks I forsee *trouble*. :43:

7x57

* For the purposes of gun rights anyway. :D

It's times like these I wish I was back in ca

this would be a perfect oportunity to wear a leather thong, a pair of cowboy
boots and a shoulder holster with a bananna in it

You don't have to get rowdy to cause a scene....

How about calling in the pink pistols?

ptoguy2002
02-23-2010, 12:02 PM
The Brady folks are having a gala in May inDC, if anybody knows anybody else in that neck of the woods....

macadamizer
02-23-2010, 12:35 PM

This.

And you might be surprised out how many of the firms on that list have partners or staff that were once partners or associates or staff at Petit & Martin, the law firm that was shot up in the 101 California shooting. I worked with some of these folks before, and they are true believers in LCAV, you are not going to change their minds with a "reputation hit" or an email spam.

Individual lawyers may lean right or left, but for the most part big law firms themselves are agnostic, they do or say what they need to do to keep their clients happy. Most firms have a budget for causes, and if enough partners are behind a particular cause, it will get some money. Doesn't mean that the firm cares, or that even many partners care, it only takes a few in most cases.

dantodd
02-23-2010, 12:36 PM
If anyone is keeping a list and planning to finalize plans via email or PM please add me to the list.

jdberger
02-23-2010, 5:07 PM
Clients can always be targetted. If pro-bono activities start to impact the bottom line, partners will take notice.

What if, for instance, a firm with partners who were Board Members of LCAV had Olin as a client. Or SAAMI. Wouldn't that be interesting?

obeygiant
02-23-2010, 5:52 PM
it would be great if something like the TV-B-Gone (http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php) or Micro Spy Remote (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/9a06/) worked on digital projectors.

dantodd
02-23-2010, 6:05 PM
it would be great if something like the TV-B-Gone (http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php) or Micro Spy Remote (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/9a06/) worked on digital projectors.

You know I had forgotten all about those thinkgeek annoy-a-trons (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8c52/)... (and the new 2.0 (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/b278/))

I wonder how many it would take to cover the whole hall.

spddrcr
02-23-2010, 6:21 PM
how about everybody just rip the new smart meter off the side of their house and we can make a pile in front of all the doors to block them. kill 2 birds with 1 stone:D

greasemonkey
02-23-2010, 7:31 PM
I'm okay with paying for their dinner, it's not like it really hurts our cause. Really, LCAV makes some money, sponsors another deadbeat suit and the CGF attorneys make some money winning another case...so whether I donate to CGF or to LCAV, it ends up going to CGF, anyway, right?!

RP1911
02-23-2010, 7:48 PM

When we were young, my friend would bring a small dynamo and run it with two D-cell batteries. It would create havoc with the overhead flourecent lights. He did this during mandatory morning assembly. :)

greasemonkey
02-23-2010, 7:59 PM
Did anyone else ever have a TV remote wristwatch? I got new rules added to my middleschool!

Lone_Gunman
02-23-2010, 8:01 PM
How about a 2 pronged attack? We do the overt stuff that was suggested but we also get a couple of guys to go in posing as true belivers and have them pass out re-packaged JPFO DVDs or something. Just a cheap overlay over the disc that says Gun Control Now! and put them in a paper sleeve.

ptoguy2002
07-13-2010, 7:35 AM
Bump

Dinner is tomorrow.
Anybody have any plans?

This stuff looks great: www.liquidass.com
Although I don't know what the legality of deploying that sort of thing would be.

HowardW56
07-13-2010, 7:43 AM
As a PG&E stockholder, I think I am little pissed.

Maybe you need to go to http://www.pgecorp.com/investors/ and let them know...

HowardW56
07-13-2010, 7:44 AM

But how many are publicly traded?

HowardW56
07-13-2010, 7:47 AM
NRA bumper stickers for all.....

Steyr_223
07-13-2010, 7:48 AM
Wednesday, July 14, 2010 — The Palace Hotel, San Francisco
To Honor, To Remember, To Act Together

LCAV is pleased to announce that Jeffrey Toobin, a senior legal analyst for CNN Worldwide and a staff writer for The New Yorker, will deliver the keynote address for our 17th Anniversary Dinner on July 14, 2010.

Mr. Toobin is a journalist and bestselling author with unparalleled expertise on politics, media, and the law; he is also a former Assistant U.S. Attorney. His remarks will shed light on the complex legal issues involved in the McDonald v. Chicago case -- plus, offer an insider's look at the Supreme Court as well as the future of gun regulation in America. Read more about Mr. Toobin here.

Please join the 75 law firms, corporations and foundations that expressed their support for LCAV's mission to prevent gun violence by sponsoring our Anniversary Dinner. Sponsorship is a great way to showcase your organization's commitment to positive change.

Maestro Pistolero
07-13-2010, 7:55 AM
LCAV is funded by the Joyce Foundation.I thought they lost that funding?

oaklander
07-13-2010, 8:06 AM
I do not think that law firms can sell stock, since non-lawyers are not allowed to own any part of a law firm or legal practice

They are usually organized as partnerships, limited liability partnerships (LLP), or professional corporations (PC).

But how many are publicly traded?

jdberger
07-13-2010, 8:56 AM
LCAV is funded by the Joyce Foundation.

I thought they lost that funding?

Nope. Not in the least.

IIRC, they've received something like $3mm over the last few years. Joyce accounts for the majority of their funding (though they usually raise around $200K at this dinner).

Whiskey_Sauer
07-13-2010, 9:19 AM
I actually got invited to this thing a few weeks ago.

I said, "Buddy, I think you've got the wrong guy."

Steyr_223
07-13-2010, 9:23 AM

You should go and be a covert mole. Take good notes and share it here..

My $.02

Whiskey_Sauer
07-13-2010, 9:45 AM
You should go and be a covert mole. Take good notes and share it here..

My $.02

Honestly, I thought about it.

But one, there's the nausea factor.

And two, I know I couldn't hold my tongue, and would likely be escorted from the room before the evening ended.

Steyr_223
07-13-2010, 9:58 AM
^^^True..

But you could have been our James Bond or Jason Bourne..Think of the intelligence we could have gathered about the Antis and their plans..

wash
07-13-2010, 10:05 AM
It would be fun to crash that.

I wonder what they were thinking when they scheduled it after the likely release date of the McDonald decision?

I wonder what Martin Luther King would have done if a bunch of lawyers were getting together to plan how to violate his civil rights?

bwiese
07-13-2010, 10:05 AM
It's a "thank you" dinner and an awards show, so it recognizes last year's contributions.

If you want inco about the Palace, give them a call. You never know what people will tell you. Who knows, the Events Manager might be a secret gunny.;)

Hmm. Time for some younger Calgunners to do valet parking.

With Flip video cameras.

bwiese
07-13-2010, 10:07 AM

Dude you shoulda gone.

I'd've been glad to help wire you up with video.

383green
07-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Why don't we organize our own "anti-gun" fundraising dinner... with Alan Gura as the surprise keynote speaker. :43:

Whiskey_Sauer
Dude you shoulda gone.

I'd've been glad to help wire you up with video.

If I could do a somewhat creditable Borat imitation, I'd be there.

yellowfin
I wonder what Martin Luther King would have done if a bunch of lawyers were getting together to plan how to violate his civil rights?If? They did, several times.

boxbro
07-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Honestly, I thought about it.

But one, there's the nausea factor.

And two, I know I couldn't hold my tongue, and would likely be escorted from the room before the evening ended.

Just go, be quiet, and wear this on a t-shirt:

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/coexist-firearm-gun-manufacturer-logo-sticker.jpg

Sutcliffe
07-13-2010, 10:29 AM
He's my great uncle Eric.
My middle name is to honor my grandmother(his sister). Richer than god if I recall. Outside of television or the movies his house was the only one I've ever been to that had servants.

Whiskey_Sauer
07-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Just go be quiet and where this on a t-shirt:

No, I'm leaning more toward the Borat idea. I'd go and make a speech about how I won't rest until each and every black person is disarmed in this country, or something to that effect.

wash
07-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Don't forget the Mexicans and Chinese!

Whiskey_Sauer
07-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Don't forget the Mexicans and Chinese!

Honestly, I think I'd get polite, mixed applause.

jdberger
07-13-2010, 12:12 PM
I thought it might be fun to poke a little fun at Toobin. It's no secret that he thinks that Thomas is an affirmative action pick for the Supreme Court. Still, I'll bet that he's read Justice Thomas's opinion in McDonald more than once.

It would have been fun to post some Oleg Volk posters about racism around the venue.

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID2581/images/original.jpghttp://www.a-human-right.com/stopKKK_s.jpg
http://www.a-human-right.com/s_racist.jpg
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/28707-2/freedom.jpg

boxbro
07-13-2010, 12:34 PM
No, I'm leaning more toward the Borat idea. I'd go and make a speech about how I won't rest until each and every black person is disarmed in this country, or something to that effect.

:rofl2:.....BTW, you made me notice my bad grammar. :o

CalNRA
07-13-2010, 1:42 PM
Honestly, I think I'd get polite, mixed applause.

and more than a few nodding in agreement from these rich people with access to security guards.

NightOwl
07-13-2010, 3:07 PM
Bump

Dinner is tomorrow.
Anybody have any plans?

This stuff looks great: www.liquidass.com
Although I don't know what the legality of deploying that sort of thing would be.

Probably result in a domestic terrorism charge.

dantodd
07-13-2010, 3:20 PM
someone should have printed up these bumper stickers:
You could have given them away at the event, directly on the cars to save the owners some time.

IGOTDIRT4U
07-13-2010, 3:42 PM
Passing out flow charts would be an excellent idea.

Better yet, get on the wait staff, and just before they open the doors to the dining room for dinner, replace all the place mats with embossed flow charts!

wash
07-13-2010, 4:46 PM
A friend of mine at Munger, Tolles & Olson was able to get two tickets for me.

Bill, let me know when I can get wired up with a camera tomorrow.

I'm headed over to Kinkos to work up some flyers right now.

I would love to sneak in the kitchen and "season the soup".

If you have any more good ideas, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

bwiese
07-13-2010, 5:05 PM
A friend of mine at Munger, Tolles & Olson was able to get two tickets for me.

Bill, let me know when I can get wired up with a camera tomorrow.

I'm headed over to Kinkos to work up some flyers right now.

If you have any more good ideas, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Wash,

>>> would love to sneak in the kitchen and "season the soup".

Do NOT 'season the soup'. Do NOTHING illegal. PERIOD.

Public outreach and public speech is fine, whether or not the hearers like what they hear.

If any blows are to come, let THEM hit. Do NOT let them get your goat - take a bruise, not give one. We need to show how violent the nonviolent are.

I'll measure you for wiring - given length of session, I want plenty of backup power for you. We often cannot audio record, with certain exceptions, so the camera will NOT have audio enabled except for a distress button in case security goons/cops give you problems. [However, we do have the services of lipreaders for later transcription.]

Havoc70
07-13-2010, 5:23 PM
Oh, this is gonna be GOOD!

otteray
07-13-2010, 5:39 PM
Do wear a garland of garlic and a big silver crucifix around your neck.
I've seen this scene in several movies....

Steyr_223
07-13-2010, 5:50 PM
Bill and Wash,

You may want to exchange phone numbers/emails and delete those entries..Go stealth!

"They" may be watching

;)

Also another reason to go Stealth mode..

http://www.lcav.org/get_involved/AD2010ticket_purchase_form.pdf

"LCAV reserves the right to refuse admittance"

Good luck Gentlemen, this tape will now self destruct..

CitaDeL
07-13-2010, 6:11 PM

^This.

Though if 'Tyler Durden' shows up, I would not recommend the Lobster Bisque.

383green
07-13-2010, 7:09 PM
Those Oleg Volk posters might make good picket signs.

I'm just saying, is all. :whistling:

383green
07-13-2010, 7:15 PM
Oh, I know! It would be too late for this dinner, but wouldn't it be swell if at some future dinner, Alan Gura keychains mysteriously showed up on all of the valet-parked cars' keys before they were returned?

:gura:

HowardW56
07-13-2010, 7:17 PM
I still think NRA or Calguns stickers on all of the parked cars...

Could someone print up CALGUNS coasters for all of the water glasses?

383green
07-13-2010, 7:20 PM
I still think NRA or Calguns stickers on all of the parked cars...

Magnetic "stickers" would be a hoot, but adhesive stickers are too close to vandalism.

How about Cheaper than Dirt and Sportsman's Guide catalogs under the windshield wipers? It's not like the LCAV folks are going to know that they're afraid to ship the good stuff here. :p

HowardW56
07-13-2010, 7:31 PM
Magnetic "stickers" would be a hoot, but adhesive stickers are too close to vandalism.

How about Cheaper than Dirt and Sportsman's Guide catalogs under the windshield wipers? It's not like the LCAV folks are going to know that they're afraid to ship the good stuff here. :p

Magnets are good...

Flyers listing all of the local gun shops and ranges might be nice...

NRA membership forms?

freonr22
07-13-2010, 7:31 PM
A boks of ammo on all tables

HowardW56
07-13-2010, 7:32 PM
A boks of ammo on all tables

50 BMG candle holders....

383green
07-13-2010, 7:36 PM
Hoppes #9 air fresheners in the restrooms.

Fyathyrio
07-13-2010, 7:54 PM
I just got this image of a group of Cal Gunners marching through the dinner in their boxers chanting "This is my rifle, this is my gun..." ala Full Metal Jacket. Now I can't figure out a way to blind my mind's eye!

Have fun!

HowardW56
07-13-2010, 8:02 PM
I just got this image of a group of Cal Gunners marching through the dinner in their boxers chanting "This is my rifle, this is my gun..." ala Full Metal Jacket. Now I can't figure out a way to blind my mind's eye!

Have fun!

BAD VISUAL..... :puke: :rofl2:

383green
07-13-2010, 8:58 PM
Great... now I'm looking for some brain bleach, too! :stuart:

383green
07-13-2010, 9:00 PM
Flyers listing all of the local gun shops and ranges might be nice...

Discount coupons for Dr. Pizza? :D

jdberger
07-13-2010, 9:08 PM
OK folks. I've had the opportunity to discuss this with some folks and work out some logistics and we're going to make an appearance.

Civil rights are civil rights. I find LCAV's approach particularly egregious. They target the poor, the colored and folks who don't traditionally have access to lawyers and community advocates. Their proposed laws are just a little bit too much like Jim Crow.

Enough is enough. It's time to take the fight to the enemy. Since we don't have a lunch counter to cling to or a bus seat to retain, we'll go onto their turf at their dinner and bring our grievances to them.

First, some ground rules and warnings:

There is a chance you will be arrested. LCAV is pretty skittish. Actions that we'd consider political theater they might try to frame as assault. The charges will be frivolous and we'll have audio and video evidence to present as defense, but there's a chance that you might have to spend a night in jail. This is their turf. Figure that they own the cops. We already know that they own the Mayor and the DA.

Rule 1: You may not touch an LCAV member or an attendee under any circumstances. You may not threaten to touch them, imply that you might touch them, etc. No touching!

Rule 2: You cannot impede them. You can stand in fronmt of them with a camera. You may ask uncomfortable questions, but you can't stop them from passing by. You may not obstruct the sidewalk. You may not obstruct the doorways.

Rule 3: If asked to leave the Hotel by Hotel personnel, you must leave. Don't get arrested for trespassing.

If I can think of any additional rules, I'll let you know.

In the next post, I'll list some of the things we're going to do to make this dinner uncomfortable for the folks who want to be selective about who gets to exercise Constitutional Rights....

Go Team McDonald!

greasemonkey
07-13-2010, 9:25 PM
I love it. Times like this I'm asking myself again why I live here in the hot valley and not near the belly of the beast where the fun stuff happens...

383green
07-13-2010, 9:28 PM
I hope there's some way that us non-locals can help out, too! :43:

jdberger
07-13-2010, 9:40 PM
I really have to thank the folks of the Ruckus Society and the Monkeywrenchers for some of these ideas.

First - Dress appropriately. Wear a jacket and tie. Try to blend in. Camo pants will get you spotted immediately and escorted out of the hotel. Don't be "that guy".

Posters: We've coordinated with a couple of local printers who are going to make posters for us at cost. We'll use a couple of the Oleg Volk posters that I posted earlier, which highlight the history of racism in the gun control movement. At last count, the printers could make us about 30. We'll mount some to foam board but we're also going to glue some to bus shelters, the exterior walls of the hotel and possible post some in the restrooms (those won't be glued). One of our Calgunners is an employee of the hotel and he's offered to hang a couple in the banquet room. We'll see if he has the opportunity.

I need 3 Calgunners who are willing to place posters in the restrooms, bus shelters and on the exterior of the building. Please post a response here or send me a PM.

Infiltrators: Berto has generously volunteered to attend the dinner as an infiltrator. There is one other Calgunner who's attending as part of a law firm's contingent. Apparently they had purchased a table and didn't have enough people to fill it. Bwiese has generously offered to wire them for video. We're not so sure of audio, but since they have iPhones they'll use them to record the reactions at their table. ;)

We could use a couple more people to be "guests". We'll provide you with video cameras that you can wear. C'mon! It'll be a hoot!

ECM: Fortunately, in the Calgunner community, we've lots of nerds. It truly is shocking to see how diverse our community is. We've cartographers and electrical engineers. 383green is the latter. He's offered to lend us his modded TVBgone (http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php). We also have plenty of service industry folks in the CGN community. Guess what one of our waiters is going to be carrying in his pocket?

Additional Product Placement: We've enlisted the assistance of additional vendors and service personnel. All cars valet parked tomorrow night will drive off with a NEW AND IMPROVED CGN STICKER (http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/bigcalidave/sticker.jpg)on the back bumper. And if our valet guy can pull it off, they'll have a LUGGAGE TAG (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=321237), too!

We have some CGN and CGF cocktail napkins from a previous event that we're going to try to slip into the stack the bartender uses. We'll see how that goes.

Street Interviews: Finally, we need about 6 Calgunners (3 female) to conduct street interviews. We've worked out a basic script for you which highlights the racist roots of gun control but you have to be able to wing it if you get stuck. We'd like a nice mix of people. Please volunteer in this thread or send me a PM.

I doubt it will be necessary, but Bwiese is going to monitor police scanners (gotta love the iPhone apps!) and I'll be across the street at Shields with a video camera. We're also gonna place a couple of CGNers in the lobby with FLIP video cameras (thanks, Bill!).

I'm taking suggestions for additional actiions.

Go Team McDonald!

383green
07-13-2010, 9:48 PM
I'm a registered iPhone developer, too, so let me know offline if you need any quick work done for this. I still have plenty of slots free in my developer certificate list, so I can deploy just about anything for participants to use.

freonr22
07-13-2010, 9:52 PM
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Legal-Community-Against-Violence/215654610808?ref=search (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#%21/pages/Legal-Community-Against-Violence/215654610808?ref=search)

Facebook

Ill do an Interview slot!!

Can we put a Calguns Float in the Dining hall? or maybe a billboard of Gura across the street?

ohh and there are still tickets avail for dinner
Legal Community Against Violence (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Legal-Community-Against-Violence/215654610808) There's still time to purchase individual tickets for our 17th Anniversary Dinner. Jeffrey Toobin will offer post McDonald insights in his keynote address, LCAV will honor four of it's founders, and there might be a special message about the "truthiness" of gun control. Join us Wednesday, July 14th at the Palace Hotel!

Shotgun Man
07-13-2010, 9:53 PM
I can't believe the ops are posted so publicly.

otalps
07-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Seems it would be a better to be a bit covert but this does have the potential to become EPIC.

dantodd
07-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Time is short now so I think they're just trying to grab the needed bodies and couldn't get enough via other means. I doubt the LCAV folks who are planning the event will check every night. It is a challenge but I don't really see them being able to suss out the moles at such a late date.

berto
07-13-2010, 10:10 PM
I'll be attending as the guest of a senior partner at MoFo. He shoots and he thought I might like to go and watch the show. I won't disrupt the dinner/speeches (that's rude) but I will make interesting conversation with my dinner companions. I don't imagine they'll be very happy.

chiz
07-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Ive got nothing to do tomorrow and don't mind getting into some trouble. I'll do whatever I can to help.

bwiese
07-13-2010, 11:03 PM
I'll be attending as the guest of a senior partner at MoFo. He shoots and he thought I might like to go and watch the show. I won't disrupt the dinner/speeches (that's rude) but I will make interesting conversation with my dinner companions. I don't imagine they'll be very happy.

Very cool!

Note to our dinner invitees/guests:
- be FRIENDLY. *Always* keep your temper.
- be WELL-DRESSED.
- your strength is your composure. *Engage*, don't yell when the subject comes up and you've been uncovered or have outed yourself.
- May make sense not to blow your cover initially to avoid early exit. If you're at a banquet table operating with decorum I
don't think they'll take you away from your rubber chicken. Event organizers and speakers may be spooked however and off their prime.
- shun/minimize alcohol, be running at 100%.
- observe other LCAVers or prominents who drink - they may drive afterward and that's very useful info.

IGOTDIRT4U
07-14-2010, 6:13 AM
Hmm, I started working on this when the post started in February. Since I know a couple of the large LA law firms, I got ahold of a buddy in one of the smaller ones and he hosted me a couple of tickets. Based upon the racist nature of the gun control laws, I asked a friend who is a civil rights attorney (not ACLU, but MALDEF!) if wanted to go and see racism in action.

Soooo, long story short, he has two tickets (and has had them for awhile) and a few questions about gun rights and racism. In Mexico, gun rights are but all erased, with the "Ruling Class" having privileges. In the US, there was a long history of the same racist laws in the early years of the southwest, particularily California.

longhairchris
07-14-2010, 7:30 AM
This is so awesome, I wish I could be a part. Go Team McDonald!!!!

ptoguy2002
07-14-2010, 7:51 AM
Even if you don't have tickets or 'infiltrate valet, ' how about some simple "LCAV=KKK in a business suit" picket signs, and some folks outside to use them?

ptoguy2002
07-14-2010, 7:52 AM
If something was planned, I'd catch a flight real quick and get up there.....

wash
07-14-2010, 8:33 AM
I got about 1,500 flyers printed out. It's mostly text of true self defense stories where women, children and the elderly (many of them minorities) avoided death with the aid of a gun. There is also a list of the Brady Bunch's "statistics" that have been disproved.

I'll give them to anyone that wants them when we meet before the dinner.

I've got my cheap suit on, I don't want to stand out too much and I wouldn't want to risk a good one if I do have to spend the night in jail. It's also a bit baggy which should help hide the video gear.

I have a few cans of Mean Green pepper spray that I will be bringing. It has a green dye in it to identify who you spray. This should only be used if they start a fight. Hopefully it will end it and allow us to identify who we should sue. There will be cameras rolling everywhere, especially where there is conflict so make sure it is self defense only.

It has been brought to my attention that some of the attendees are on "buisness trips" and may have "dates" so lets take extra pictures of the odd couples, especially the same sex couples.

pdq_wizzard
07-14-2010, 8:36 AM
taged :popcorn:

jdberger
07-14-2010, 8:48 AM
Wash - please leave the pepper spray at home. We don't want anyone to be able to claim that you're looking for a fight.

This is one of those occasions where we're going to have to be pacifists and take the lumps they give us. We have decent audio coverage. They might know that we're coming, but they don't know exactly who we are, and folks will be recording audio on iPhones and such.

Let's remember. Try to be polite.

With the exception of the 2 people who are going to do the Code Pink style disruptions, please try to retain your decorum. We get much better mileage from someone who gets thrown out for politely conversing with a different point of view than for someone who makes a scene (though that has its benefits, too).

Regarding the flyers: Wash, could you meet me outside (at Shields)? I'll distribute the flyers to our sidewalk folks. They can hand them out to passers-by. Citizens should be aware that there are people in their city that don't think that poor people have the right to defend themselves.

jdberger
07-14-2010, 8:50 AM
Oh - one more thing.

I need someone with a little experience with wireless transmitters, specifically the ones used in microphones.

Anyone?

7x57
07-14-2010, 8:52 AM
- observe other LCAVers or prominents who drink - they may drive afterward and that's very useful info.

Now that's just *mean*. :43:

7x57

383green
07-14-2010, 8:54 AM
Oh - one more thing.

I need someone with a little experience with wireless transmitters, specifically the ones used in microphones.

Anyone?

I'm your man! :chris:

jdberger
07-14-2010, 8:58 AM
Even if you don't have tickets or 'infiltrate valet, ' how about some simple "LCAV=KKK in a business suit" picket signs, and some folks outside to use them?

One of the easiest ways to get in the hotel would be to simply rent a room for the night. :cool2:

boxbro
07-14-2010, 9:05 AM
Oh man is this is going to be entertaining.
I've got some things planned.
Here's my top three without going into too much detail as I don't want to be derailed before I can implement them.
#1 The bathrooms might have a few surprises.
#2 I might strategically place items on the floor that people will want to pick up, and as they do.......
#3 It involves, well, hallways and that's all I am going to say.

bwiese
07-14-2010, 9:08 AM
I
It has been brought to my attention that some of the attendees are on "buisness trips" and may have "dates" so lets take extra pictures of the odd couples, especially the same sex couples.

I think the same sex couples angle will not be profitable.

I believe more useful is pictures of folks with dates other than their wives. Get shots of older guy/younger gal just in case.

383green
07-14-2010, 9:26 AM
Do y'all think they may have somebody with enough technical savvy to deploy some ECM of their own?

dantodd
07-14-2010, 9:27 AM
I got about 1,500 flyers printed out.

You giving 10 to each attendee? I don't think the antis can mustard that many supporters.

ptoguy2002
07-14-2010, 9:28 AM
One of the easiest ways to get in the hotel would be to simply rent a room for the night. :cool2:

Just called, the Palace is sold out .... something else is going on up there too.
There are a couple flights getting in to SFO at 4:15 and 5:30 for cheap, but honestly for spending ~$300ish on flight and hotel, its probably more productive giving that to CGF anyway....

Not as fun though....

hmmm....

wash
07-14-2010, 10:00 AM
I don't know if this will be useful but their host has some baby momma drama (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/05/09/2010-05-09_baby_mama_drama_cnn_star_jeffrey_toobin_offered _casey_greenfield_money_for_abort.html).

He also is rumored to have a unusual sexual fetish (http://gawker.com/5476817/too-hot-for-print-cnn-anchor-jeffrey-toobins-rumored-xxx-sex-fetish) so if you get booted from the event, give him the Black Power salute.

http://iconicphotos.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/black-power-salute-jpg.jpeg

wash
07-14-2010, 10:05 AM
I would avoid shaking his hand too.

boxbro
07-14-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't know if this will be useful but their host has some baby momma drama (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/05/09/2010-05-09_baby_mama_drama_cnn_star_jeffrey_toobin_offered _casey_greenfield_money_for_abort.html).

He also is rumored to have a unusual sexual fetish (http://gawker.com/5476817/too-hot-for-print-cnn-anchor-jeffrey-toobins-rumored-xxx-sex-fetish) so if you get booted from the event, give him the Black Power salute.

http://iconicphotos.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/black-power-salute-jpg.jpeg

Oh my will he be in for a surprise.
I've got an idea just for this, thanks for the motivation.

jdberger
07-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Let's try to stick with the theme of the original protest.

Of course, if Toobin lashes out at us, he's fair game.

thedrickel
07-14-2010, 10:35 AM
I can be there if something is really going down tonight . . .

jdberger
07-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Your presence will be welcome as always.

Thanks for always being the guy who shows up!

nick
07-14-2010, 10:43 AM

Done. I gotta stay somewhere anyway, driving from L.A. and all. Alright, I'm off to SF, talk to you guys later.

boxbro
07-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Let's try to stick with the theme of the original protest.

Of course, if Toobin lashes out at us, he's fair game.

;) ......

1BigPea
07-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Oh wow, this is gonna be good!

loather
07-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Oh my will he be in for a surprise.
I've got an idea just for this, thanks for the motivation.

I don't think you could get away with wearing a goatse t-shirt to the event. Just sayin'! :)

mzimmers
07-14-2010, 11:04 AM
DANG! And here I have to get up with the birds tomorrow, to take my daughter down to SLO for a campus visit. I'd have been so perfect as an infiltrator, too...one thing I truly excel at is causing a scene and getting others blamed for it (a la Conrad Dobler).

I hope everyone participating has fun, causes mild havoc and still represents the pro-2A community well.

jdberger
07-14-2010, 11:12 AM
DANG! And here I have to get up with the birds tomorrow, to take my daughter down to SLO for a campus visit. I'd have been so perfect as an infiltrator, too...one thing I truly excel at is causing a scene and getting others blamed for it (a la Conrad Dobler).

I hope everyone participating has fun, causes mild havoc and still represents the pro-2A community well.

We'll do our best.

(BTW - I'm eyeing your pre-51....)

bwiese
07-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Quick note...

1. Subgroups should partition themselves so each one has one person w/a "push-to-talk" walkie-talkie
feature on their cellphone. ... methninks our group has quite a few Sprint/Nextel subscribers...

2. Methinks everyone should arrive/Leave in a "clean" car. Do NOT travel w/ any arms, ammo, etc. - do
NOT even have a penknife on you, please. Even If you have CCW, do NOT carry or drive to/fro with it.
This has NOTHING to do with legalities and everything to do with press/politics.

3. Keep all partisan politics out of encounters. Only focus is fundamental constitutional RKBA. Hell,
half the people in attendance (if not more) are likely Meg Whitman Republicans. (The ABAG groups
doing antigun stuff are full of local Republicans.)

jdberger
07-14-2010, 12:54 PM
One additional thing - though we'll be watching out for people and we'll help you out if arrested, best to have a lawyer's number written on your arm just in case you're arrested and quickly whisked out of there.

I'm a guy who loves irony, so I'd choose the National Lawyers Guild (http://www.nlgsf.org/docs/wallet_Card_final.pdf)(415)285-1011

Others might want to call some of the lawyers who advertise on this page.

freonr22
07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Sam Polverino is an excellent criminal defense atty in San Jose, very fair on price too
408-295-3330

berto
07-14-2010, 12:58 PM
One additional thing - though we'll be watching out for people and we'll help you out if arrested, best to have a lawyer's number written on your arm just in case you're arrested and quickly whisked out of there.

I'm a guy who loves irony, so I'd choose the National Lawyers Guild (http://www.nlgsf.org/docs/wallet_Card_final.pdf)(415)285-1011

Others might want to call some of the lawyers who advertise on this page.

Ha.

I'll be dining with a table of lawyers. I think I'll collect cards at the beginning of the evening. I know it's unlikely any of them sully themselves with representing criminals but they eagerly line up to push racist gun laws so who knows?

Havoc70
07-14-2010, 1:24 PM

Did someone say havoc. AHAHAHA! Well, I can't take an arrest risk right now because of something I'm working on with Gray and I'm going to be up in Sacramento all day lobbying senators. Being incarcerated may put a damper on those plans :).

carsonwales
07-14-2010, 1:28 PM
LCAV monitors this site...

LCAV monitors the sentiment and direction of OPFOR

Be cautious

CW

bwiese
07-14-2010, 1:30 PM

Be cautious

CW

Aw hell they already know. There's LCAV types along with LEOs that post here with full RKBA colors and inciteful statements.

dantodd
07-14-2010, 1:30 PM

Be cautious

CW

I doubt they have adequate time to make any significant changes that could effect operations. Plus, I'm sure they're too busy working on the dinner etc. to monitor our little home today.

Steyr_223
07-14-2010, 1:34 PM
The guy running the event is Ezra Denney.

From the LCAV site..

To learn more about sponsorship opportunities and benefits, contact Ezra Denney or call (415) 433-2062 ext. 309.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=1141994187&ref=sgm

HowardW56
07-14-2010, 1:54 PM
The guy running the event is Ezra Denney.

From the LCAV site..

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=1141994187&ref=sgm

From his Facebook wall....

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs629.ash1/27484_1141994187_8509_q.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1141994187&ref=mf)
Ezra Denney (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1141994187) might be meeting some wacky folks tonight. Protesters are fun!

jdberger
07-14-2010, 2:11 PM
From his Facebook wall....

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs629.ash1/27484_1141994187_8509_q.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1141994187&ref=mf)
Ezra Denney (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1141994187) might be meeting some wacky folks tonight. Protesters are fun!

I wonder if that's the same guy. He doesn't seem to have LCAV listed as a "friend".

GunNutz
07-14-2010, 2:15 PM
This is very frustrating. I have little or no choice but to support PG&E in my current situation yet they use my money to work against my interests. Does anyone know of another supplier of electricity and natural gas in Contra Costa county?

Havoc70
07-14-2010, 2:19 PM
This is very frustrating. I have little or no choice but to support PG&E in my current situation yet they use my money to work against my interests. Does anyone know of another supplier of electricity and natural gas in Contra Costa county?

http://www.thesolarco.com/ :) Well, they can't help with natural gas, but maybe you can get a nice big ol' LPG tank on your property and have AmeriGas fill it :).

383green
07-14-2010, 2:24 PM
http://www.thesolarco.com/ :)

Also, jump through any and all necessary hoops to have a legal grid inter-tie, and design for greater solar capacity than you need to run your home, so that they have to buy power from you. And if you really want to rub it in, donate all of the proceeds to your favorite causes (after covering the up-front cost of your solar system, which will probably take around 5 years to break even).

berto
07-14-2010, 2:26 PM
I wonder if that's the same guy. He doesn't seem to have LCAV listed as a "friend".

Same dude. He "likes" posts on the LCAV facebook page.

jdberger
07-14-2010, 2:29 PM
Same dude. He "likes" posts on the LCAV facebook page.

Interesting. If you go to his contact webpage "popehat.com" and search for "gun" you see that it's definitely libertarian leaning. It even contains a pretty blistering criticism of Justice Steven's dissent in McDonald.

I wonder if he's a Mary McFate?

Steyr_223
07-14-2010, 2:31 PM

Look under Info, Like and Interests under Other in Facebook..

Other

2010 California Protection of Marriage Act, Popehat, The Spiel - A Show About Games & The People Who Love Them, Bill Murray, Cthulhu Mythos, Arrested Development, Voyage of George, I bet the San Francisco Giants can get more fans than the LA Dodgers!, Legal Community Against Violence, Jon & Nataline's Crazybooth, Max Books, Sid Meier’s Civilization Network, EndGame, The Shab-al-Hiri Roach, San Francisco, Non-Profits on Facebook, Will Clark, Rebuilding Together Peninsula, Bruce Campbell, Kinder Suprise Eggs, Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun ViolenceShow all (21)

Havoc70
07-14-2010, 2:36 PM
Interesting. If you go to his contact webpage "popehat.com" and search for "gun" you see that it's definitely libertarian leaning. It even contains a pretty blistering criticism of Justice Steven's dissent in McDonald.

I wonder if he's a Mary McFate?

popehat has various contributors, not just him, so I wouldn't put too much stock in any gun posts being from him, per se.

jdberger
07-14-2010, 2:41 PM
I'm rooting for Mary McFate. (http://motherjones.com/politics/2008/07/theres-something-about-mary-unmasking-gun-lobby-mole)

PEBKAC
07-14-2010, 3:06 PM
Popehat seems to be primarily free speech libertarians...pretty hard core free speech libertarians in all actuality which I am a huge fan of. But while many might not care one way or the other, I'm not sure I would count on any of them being very pro 2a. Obviously this is speculation at best...either way I'm subscribing to the feed as they seem to blog about egregious free speech and expression violations more than my other feeds do.

To my original point, I would direct your attention to this section of the criticism of Bryer's dissent.

Perhaps our most serious constitutional defect isn’t the Second Amendment, but Article III, which grants astonishing power for life to highly educated men and women, even when those people prove, again and again, that their educations don’t mean a damned thing.

Emphasis added.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions about this.

choprzrul
07-14-2010, 3:24 PM
Too bad there isn't some way to get a live feed of ongoing 'events'. I am sure hoping to see some good footage posted up later. I can't be there in person, but know that you have my support 100%.

IGOTDIRT4U
07-14-2010, 3:29 PM
My "IN" person is supposed to call me periodically. He is there for a few days, so if he gets any video or audio of anything newsworthy, he will download it to me.

He just wants one person to take him on that the LCAV policies are not racist, and then he will show some vids he stored on his iPhone from the past, such as the BP's at the Capitol in Sac.

HowardW56
07-14-2010, 3:39 PM

And you don't think the comment about protesters is a key?

jdberger
07-14-2010, 3:40 PM
And you don't think the comment about protesters is a key?

I couldn't see it....

Steyr_223
07-14-2010, 3:49 PM
On Ezra's facebook..

Ezra Denney might be meeting some wacky folks tonight. Protesters are fun!

4 hours ago · View Feedback (3)Hide Feedback (3)
Gabe Wachob
Gabe Wachob
Atherton? Oakland?
4 hours ago
Thomas Ogas
Thomas Ogas
Protesters are the antithesis of fun.
4 hours ago
Gabe Wachob
Gabe Wachob
Not if they are protesting boredom...
4 hours ago

jdberger
07-14-2010, 4:37 PM
Not that this matters too much, but it appears that Mr. Toobin is a bit behind on the old child support.

Naughty naughty.

creekside
07-14-2010, 4:43 PM
Sfpd car 1240; motorcycle unit; bicycle unit circling hotel

8 pd on se corner of hotel, 3 more on ne corner

3x security on east sidewalk
with nametags blazers

Armed guard across street :)

PEBKAC
07-14-2010, 4:46 PM

with nametags blazers

O____O

That's a bit of a presence...

I wonder if the GRPC 2010 (http://www.saf.org/default.asp?p=GRPC) can expect a similar protection detail. :rolleyes:

383green
07-14-2010, 4:52 PM

with nametags blazers

Stay safe, everybody!

Even if added security manages to prevent any of the obvious "fun" stuff from happening, I bet that the covert information-gathering stuff will still go down just fine. There's really nothing anybody can do to prevent it, or even detect it. :43:

greasemonkey
07-14-2010, 4:57 PM

with nametags blazers

Wait, so LCAV is being protected BY GUNS at their anti-gun circle****??

I wish some of you guys had some live video feed going, we'll have to look into that for the next one.

383green
07-14-2010, 5:01 PM
Wait, so LCAV is being protected BY GUNS at their anti-gun circle****??

If I was a cynical person, I might wonder if their anti-gun rhetoric was a bit hypocritical. :rolleyes:

bwiese
07-14-2010, 5:05 PM
Stay safe, everybody!

Even if added security manages to prevent any of the obvious "fun" stuff from happening, I bet that the covert information-gathering stuff will still go down just fine. There's really nothing anybody can do to prevent it, or even detect it.

Of course. The hotel is very nice to its paying guests - all of them!

Again, decorum, folks.

bwiese
07-14-2010, 5:06 PM
O____O

That's a bit of a presence...

I wonder if the GRPC 2010 (http://www.saf.org/default.asp?p=GRPC) can expect a similar protection detail. :rolleyes:

I believe provisions will be made for registered assault weapons as GRPC & hotel host
can be an authorized specific destination for educational purposes and with consent of
owner, etc. ;)

Steyr_223
07-14-2010, 5:08 PM
Good luck God's speed to our agents...Stay safe, Stay Legal..

It should be an interesting night..Wish I could go..I'll there in spirit. Can wait for the 1st reports...

;)

jl123
07-14-2010, 5:16 PM
My hometown.....I wish I had heard about this earlier.

berto
07-14-2010, 5:19 PM
More LCAV intimidation of those wishing to express a dissenting view.

It's getting to be a habit for them. We show up to peacefully make our case and LCAV brings as many cops as they can. Pity they don't have to pay for their guards. Once again LCAV sticks taxpayers with the bill.

GuyW
07-14-2010, 5:34 PM
For our side, this will either end very well, or very badly. I'll hold out for the former....

creekside
07-14-2010, 5:39 PM
two have folded white sheets in their pockets, 8x11 letter size, stapled

one PD by entrance on south side, eastmost door from banquet area to street, apparently watching door
two units getting on motorcycles time now headed west

Andy Taylor
07-14-2010, 5:41 PM
Really wish I had seen this earlier. Good luck guys and gals. Godspeed.

Andy Taylor
07-14-2010, 5:44 PM
If the armed guard is there for the hotel, he may be breaking the law. Armed guards can not take there firearm off of the client property except while traveling to and from work.

jdberger
07-14-2010, 5:55 PM
two have folded white sheets in their pockets, 8x11 letter size, stapled

one PD by entrance on south side, eastmost door from banquet area to street, apparently watching door
two units getting on motorcycles time now headed west

Grab a couple pics if you can of the security and then read the PM I sent you.

gunsmith
07-14-2010, 6:08 PM
If the armed guard is there for the hotel, he may be breaking the law. Armed guards can not take there firearm off of the client property except while traveling to and from work.

do you have a cite for that? I used to go eat lunch armed when I was armed securty

chiz
07-14-2010, 6:18 PM
The two cops on motorcycles change the corner they are on every 10 minutes. and there are alot more cop cars parked all around the building.

gunsandrockets
07-14-2010, 6:33 PM
Go get 'em! I eagerly await reports of new developments.

LockJaw
07-14-2010, 6:41 PM
Question,
Who is more paranoid of being targeted for attack based on their lack of morals and beliefs, a room full of lawyers or a room full of gun grabbing nonconstitution believing activists?

Sorry trick question, here we have both in the same room. :D

jl123
07-14-2010, 6:42 PM
I hope plenty of people have iphones in there! I want updates!!!!!!

jdberger
07-14-2010, 7:15 PM
:whistling:

jdberger
07-14-2010, 7:20 PM
The two cops on motorcycles change the corner they are on every 10 minutes. and there are alot more cop cars parked all around the building.

Grab a couple pics if you can of the security and then read the PM I sent you.

choprzrul
07-14-2010, 7:22 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out for all of you. Never stoop to their level. Remember, you are fighting for 300 million American's rights. Keep on fighting the good fight.

otteray
07-14-2010, 7:55 PM
Must be good food there... Quiet for about a half hour now...:sleeping:
Stay alert!

jdberger
07-14-2010, 7:55 PM
Maskirovka: "The means of securing combat operations and the daily activities of forces; a complexity of measures, directed to mislead the enemy regarding the presence and disposition of forces, various military objectives, their condition, combat readiness and operations, and also the plans of the commander... maskirovka contributes to the achievement of surprise for the actions of forces, the preservation of combat readiness and the increased survivability of objectives." - source: Jon Latimer, Deception in War, The Overlook Press, Woodstock & New York 2001

I’m sure that many of you are curious about the results of the LCAV protest. Well, they hired extra security, alerted the hotel to the potential for protests and apparently called in the SFPD to intimidate us.

But we never planned to show in the first place. ;)

As much fun as it would have been to organize a great big ruckus, it was much more fun watching them scramble about in fear that the gun nuts were going to heap insult upon the injury of McDonald at their pyrrhic victory dinner.

And we didn’t have to expend an ounce of energy.

What was the point?

Well, we learned a bunch.

1) That past actions have convinced them to take us seriously. Calgunner attendance at City Council meetings, legislative hearings and court cases has demonstrated that we’re able to mobilize a motivated group of activists on short notice. We’ve proven to them that we show up. We’ve shown that we’re effective, too. Emeryville’s revision of their proposed ammunition ordinance proved that.

2) That they’re paying attention to us. We long suspected that LCAV was monitoring our communications. It’s one of the reasons that CGF boardmembers are circumspect when discussing legal strategies. So, please be patient when folks are using cryptic language to discuss options for regaining our rights.

3) That now they don’t know when we’re bluffing. We’ve spoofed them twice so far. Who knows what other kinds of wild goose chases we can send them on? It will be fun to learn.

4) That they’re afraid of us. Despite my assertions (and requirements) that this “action” not allow any physical contact, trespassing, etc., LCAV felt it necessary to mobilize the police and additional security.

5) That they’re irrational. In every interaction that we’ve had with the antis, we’ve been polite. We’ve been well dressed, well spoken, chivalrous and respectful. We’ve been met with profanities, threats and incivility. I wouldn’t be surprised if local officials are starting to take notice the difference in style.

Make no mistake, folks. We’re winning this fight.

Sometimes it's not what you do, but what the other side thinks that you're willing to do that causes the most disruption.

I’d like to offer up a special thanks to all the folks who came together to make this happen. This was a fun little exercise.

Calgunners rock!