PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Power Scope

Bruce
01-18-2006, 8:38 PM
I'm thinking of replacing the scope on my .30-06 with either a 4X or a 6x fixed scope. Any thoughts out there as to which would be the best for all around use (deer hunting)?

Pulsar
01-18-2006, 9:41 PM
Depends on the type of terrain your hunting in. If your ine the woods or mountains I'd use the 4x cause your visibility isn't going to be good enough to warrant the 6x, and going with less magnification makes for faster target aquisition. But if your hunting in grassland or desert, I'd go with the 6x.

ohsmily
01-18-2006, 9:48 PM
Depends on the type of terrain your hunting in. If your ine the woods or mountains I'd use the 4x cause your visibility isn't going to be good enough to warrant the 6x, and going with less magnification makes for faster target aquisition. But if your hunting in grassland or desert, I'd go with the 6x.

+1 on the above post.

also, glad to see you (the original poster) are smart enough/experienced enough not to go for some gigantic ultra high magnification variable power scope. So many people put huge target scopes on deer rifles. You only need between 2x and 8x at the most on a deer rifle depending on where you are hunting. Anything more just adds weight, a narrow field of view, and (usually) an inferior sight picture because of cheap optics at high magnification (dimmed view).

M1A Rifleman
01-19-2006, 6:47 AM
I'm thinking of replacing the scope on my .30-06 with either a 4X or a 6x fixed scope. Any thoughts out there as to which would be the best for all around use (deer hunting)?

Varibles are so cheap now, why not go with one???

delloro
01-19-2006, 6:58 AM
I would pick 4x over 6x in general, but let the terrain guide your decision.

but I do wonder why you want a fixed power?