PDA

View Full Version : Robinson M96 Quality Reports?

CalGunsNoob
01-16-2006, 2:20 PM
For those of who own M96's...what's the quality like?

So far online I can find some glowing magazine articles (but of course many of the major gun rags are little more than advertisements for manufacturers) and a number of posts on TheHighRoad...many of which are somewhat negative (but it seems Alex Robinson and a moderator or some high placed member there got in a little feud).

So what about you? How is your M96? How Solid? How reliable? How many rounds through? Any breakage? How accurate? Etc

bwiese
01-16-2006, 2:26 PM
Besides raw animal desire, why would you wanna buy a low-volume firearm from a small company that hasn't been thru that much testing? If they go belly up, parts/service/support are gonna be hard to find. I wish 'em luck, but you never know - and you're putting a lot of $ into that that could end up in an AR clone or FAL clone.

Heck, even Bushmaster discontinued their Bushy 308. And they're one of the larger mfgrs around.

One reason for sticking to mil designs (FALs, ARs, HKs, etc.) is that there's a decent market for surplus/used/remanufactured parts and for replacement parts. Tech info is commonly known. Designs have stood the test of time and have been improved.

Unless you have unlimited $$, I'd stick with guns that have a bit of history and that parts are available for from various vendors....

50 Shooter
01-16-2006, 2:44 PM
You can search the archives here, there's been posts about them before.

If you buy an early model make sure it has been upgraded by the factory. A friend found out the hard way that his wasn't, cost Robinson a few bucks to make everything better.

BigAL
01-16-2006, 3:17 PM
If you buy an early model make sure it has been upgraded by the factory. A friend found out the hard way that his wasn't, cost Robinson a few bucks to make everything better.

I heard the "upgrade" (recall) had something to do with M96s launching barrels downrange.

50 Shooter
01-16-2006, 3:19 PM
That and they had a bolt carrier upgrade.

glockshooter
01-16-2006, 5:17 PM
I got it early, never had a problem with it. Very low recoil and a can't miss 18 inch barrel. I've got plenty of mags from the old days and if I really want to hit something, that's the gun I take.
Well worth the money in my opinion.
I'm hoping Robinson Arms comes to market with a Cali legal version of their new rifle, the XCR. Cool factor off the charts....

rssslvr
01-16-2006, 5:46 PM
i love my m96 recon.it is very well built.i will never sell it.robinson's customer service could be better from what i hear but i have personally not had a problem with the rifle or their service.the m96 is in limited production now so parts are getting more scarce.as far as a cali version of the xcr robinson says it is going to be awhile before they work on that(i have spoken to them several times about it).the only complaint i have about robinson is they allways seem to be behind on production and development.if you are looking to buy one try and get one with a RA prefix serial number as those don't need the upgrade.

Shoot-it
01-16-2006, 9:09 PM
Looking at there wed site and the pic of the 3 shot group it does not look that great to me.:eek:

gloxter
01-16-2006, 9:32 PM
I had zero complaints, other than I often didn't have enough ammo to share with everyone that wanted to shoot it. Believe me, it garnered LOTS of attention at any range, FS/BLM areas I took it to.

The gun was very solid and digested everything I fed it. It never jammed, the trigger was crisp and yes, it was accurate. Recoil was almost non-existant, though the muzzle blast through the carbine-length barrel was pronounced. The finish was excellent, it was easy to strip for cleaning (once you've done it a few times).

The ONLY reason I sold it was to fund my .50 BMG project. I was actually nice enough to sell it to a fellow Calguns.net forum member for, get this, $900.00! Only about $250-$300 less than what I paid for it. Nice things do happen to good people. I got it new from a great FFL, enjoyed it, then returned the favor to a Calguns brother. Karma.

Mugwump
01-16-2006, 9:56 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with the M96, I'd elaborate but I bitched enough about this rifle on the old calguns site. Bottom line in my opinion is this:

1. The quality has been satisfactory since there haven't been any malfunctions (despite the fact that I've ordered additional parts just in case), and it's nice to have another rifle that uses AR magazines (yes, the SU-16 does also but it's a little too plasticy for my taste).
2. The customers service is abysmal. Excuse after excuse, delay after delay, blah blah blah.
3. I see very little support for this rifle in the future. After all, when ever has a manufacturer in it's right mind, decreased production on a popular selling item?

C123K_LoadMaster
01-21-2006, 10:59 AM
It's the most reliable rifle I have ever owned. I have never had a malfunction. The only complaint I have is the pistol grip is to small for my hand.

http://www.fototime.com/5888940CAB0352A/standard.jpg

Regarding accuracy, I get 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. Rifles with quick change barrels are not expected to compete with target rifles.

http://www.fototime.com/7D3E97E4D24BA34/standard.jpg

For those of who own M96's...what's the quality like?

So far online I can find some glowing magazine articles (but of course many of the major gun rags are little more than advertisements for manufacturers) and a number of posts on TheHighRoad...many of which are somewhat negative (but it seems Alex Robinson and a moderator or some high placed member there got in a little feud).

So what about you? How is your M96? How Solid? How reliable? How many rounds through? Any breakage? How accurate? Etc

C123K_LoadMaster
01-21-2006, 11:05 AM
The bolt carrier tail and trigger upgrades on the Robinson web site were both the result of M96 owners not following the instructions in the users manual. The upgrades are being offered to make the rifle idiot proof.

Bolt Carrier Tail Upgrade: Robinson has been offering this since 2000. That is when I had both of my M96's upgraded. This prevents the rifle from firing if the barrel is not installed properly.

Trigger Upgrade: They used to charge for this, but now offer it for free.

You can read more about the different upgrades here: http://www.biggerhammer.net/m96/wwwboard/index.cgi?read=5058

blacklisted
01-21-2006, 11:08 AM
What sort of gas system does the M96 use?

Sharnhorst
01-21-2006, 3:13 PM
Im the one that bought GLOXTERS from him. What can you say this rifle its freaking awsome. This is one i will take to my grave with me. Never had a problem with it. or there customer service, but then again i was buying something, an updated magwell with the bolt catch and not trying to get something fixed. i just wish they would put it on the aw list so i could run a pistol grip.

rssslvr
01-21-2006, 5:28 PM
Sharn and all of the rest of you M96 lovers:

We should get the Admin start a Robie M96 club on calguns.net. :D

i could go for that.god knows i love my recon