PDA

View Full Version : Help building a California AR-15

Ccraig38
02-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Hello all,

First I would like to thank the calguns community for this site and know how. I am looking forward to getting and giving help.

Secondly, I am new to building AR's, so I need a bit of help. I am aware of the current CA laws regarding assault rifles and "evil features" :mad:, but anyways, i need your help!

I would like to build a relatively cheap AR-15. would prefer a 16in barrel and a flat top upper, the rest is what-ever-works. i plan on using this for home defense, and just regular recreational shooting. I'm not sure which parts need to be dealt with at the FLL dealer, so I would also need help there. So, if you guys could point me in the right direction for parts, prices, models, etc. it would be a huge help. thank you in advance for the help, and i look forward to getting to know everyone.

Regards,

Calvin

Flogger23m
02-02-2010, 11:32 PM
If you want a home defense gun, then make it featureless. Get a solar tactical grip wrap and make sure you have no evil features, as well as being off list.

I wouldn't want to fumble around with a bullet button in that kind of a situation.

technique
02-03-2010, 12:10 AM
The lower. Stripped or assembled is the part needed for an FFL.

What is your actual budget?

Ccraig38
02-03-2010, 7:57 AM
The lower. Stripped or assembled is the part needed for an FFL.

What is your actual budget?

My actual buget is around 1000.00 with no add-ons, IE, sight. I am thinking about getting an EO Tech, but that will be from a different fund :D. So just for the gun itself. All i really need is to buy the lower from the FLL dealer, and the rest I can just get online? and ship right to the house?

Ccraig38
02-03-2010, 7:59 AM
If you want a home defense gun, then make it featureless. Get a solar tactical grip wrap and make sure you have no evil features, as well as being off list.

I wouldn't want to fumble around with a bullet button in that kind of a situation.

It will also be for just regular recreational shooting too. so i would perfer to have the features with a bullet button.... let just say it will only take me one shot :D, just kidding. but i would just rather go with a gun with features and just deal with the bullet button law. "dont have to like it, just gotta do it."

drewg13
02-03-2010, 11:03 AM
First thing you need to do is go pick out the lower that you want and DROS it. You can then continue your research while you wait your 10 days. Where are you located? We should be able to point you to a good local dealer.

jpham209
02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
First off I would think its to do all your research in advance before purchasing anything. Make sure you want certain lowers and uppers.

The lower receiver is the only thing needed to through a FFL, everything else can be shipped to your home. Good luck on your project.

aplinker
02-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Read through my signature stuff...

DougJ
02-03-2010, 12:00 PM
As most have said... Do your research first so you know where you're going. I just finished my first build a week or two ago. Since I have had a good number of standard capacity magazines I wanted a featureless build, and all the info here on Calguns made it easy. I used a Monster Man grip on my build.

You can easily do what you want within your budget, cheapest I saw for everything except the lower was here. (http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_16_s/57.htm)

I printed out the flow chart, Sac PD memo, ?Orange County? memo, DOJ memo, and they stay in the case with the weapon. LOL, I need to go back and look now since I obviously don't remember exactly what memos I have!

Have fun with your build!

SVPRApps
02-03-2010, 12:18 PM
As most have said... Do your research first so you know where you're going. I just finished my first build a week or two ago. Since I have had a good number of standard capacity magazines I wanted a featureless build, and all the info here on Calguns made it easy. I used a Monster Man grip on my build.

You can easily do what you want within your budget, cheapest I saw for everything except the lower was here. (http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_16_s/57.htm)

I printed out the flow chart, Sac PD memo, ?Orange County? memo, DOJ memo, and they stay in the case with the weapon. LOL, I need to go back and look now since I obviously don't remember exactly what memos I have!

Can you post the OC Memo and DOJ memo here?? :D

I only have the flow chart and Sac PD Memo and I will include it with all of my evil rifles

Ccraig38
02-03-2010, 1:38 PM
First thing you need to do is go pick out the lower that you want and DROS it. You can then continue your research while you wait your 10 days. Where are you located? We should be able to point you to a good local dealer.

I am up in the Bay Area. There are a few dealers around here, one of them I like alot, the people there are pretty good. Bay Area Gun Vault, in Mountain View.

RawImpact
02-03-2010, 3:44 PM
Don't purchase anything until you researched. You may find out that assembling the LPK is a bit overwhelming (although it's not). So you might want to purchase a complete lower which might be more affordable when buying second hand but new.

Then all you have to do is buy the complete upper and you're done. You do not necessarily have to build it if you do not want to. It's just an option you have and many will recommend.

ErikTheRed
02-03-2010, 7:52 PM
If you're anything like me, you would actually PREFER to build your own. Besides the satisfaction and pride of accomplishment, you will know and understand your rifle far better if you are the one who assembled it piece by piece. I just purchased my first lower and I'm really looking foward to the build process. This weekend I'm buying the LPK....... let the good times roll. :)

DougJ
02-03-2010, 8:18 PM
Can you post the OC Memo and DOJ memo here?? :D

I only have the flow chart and Sac PD Memo and I will include it with all of my evil rifles

Here's what I have in my case:

Flowchart from up top of the page.

Sac PD memo

Orange County SO memo

DOJ "large cap magazines" (since I have magazines and a featureless build)

I'll attach the OC SO Memo and DOJ memo in case you can go that way too.

DougJ
02-03-2010, 8:25 PM
... One more, here is the link to the AG's office Assault Weapons Identification Guide (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/awguide/awguide.php)

Ccraig38
02-03-2010, 9:40 PM

Thank you very much for that site. I'm actually building my entire AR around that, and for much cheaper too. Thank you for providing that. Off topic, but i see your a pilot too. I'm working on getting my pilots license currently. Anyways, thanks again!

DougJ
02-04-2010, 7:32 AM
Thank you very much for that site. I'm actually building my entire AR around that, and for much cheaper too. Thank you for providing that. Off topic, but i see your a pilot too. I'm working on getting my pilots license currently. Anyways, thanks again!

I'm glad I could help a little, it's nice to "pay-it-forward". I learned everything I needed to know (I hope) about owning an AR-15 format rifle in the Peoples Repulik of Kalifornia from the smart guys here on Galguns. It helped get me over the frustration/irritation/uncertanty that would have kept me from building an AR. I get so irritated with the fact that every time I Deploy OCONUS and into harms way I come back here less free than I was when I left. I was in Iraq during the last Presidential election and couldn't even find ammo when I got back.

Do check out aplinker's signature line info if you haven't, good stuff in there.

I started flying when I was 16, and still love it 29 years later.

Noah3683
02-04-2010, 7:58 AM
Just my honest opinion if your budget is $1,000 without sights or optics.... I would consider spending closer to that mark and getting a better upper than del-ton. I would consider stepping up to BCM, LMT, Daniel Defense, or even cmmg and stag would be better alternatives than a del-ton. My buddy has a del-ton and it shoots decent, but quite noticeable quality difference between his del-ton and my bcm and DD rifles. This is just a quick general setup that comes out to $710 before shipping. Plus you are getting an upper made by one of the better manufacturers out there in LMT. Added with a decent lower and bullet button should put you in the low $900 ballpark and blow that del-ton away in quality. In fact if you don't want the extra magpul stuff you can get a tapco stock kit instead from gunkings.com for $49 shipped and save another $50. You could also save $10-15 on the lpk elsewhere, but like I said it was a quick search for what was available. Just one more thing. I wouldn't fully trust del-ton's ship times either. they said 1-2 weeks to ship for my buddy's and he got it 4 1/2 months later.

stock kit
http://www.dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product/2609/magpul-moe-kit---black.cfm
Lower parts kit
http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product/584_13/armalite-ar15-lower-receiver-parts-kit.cfm
LMT upper
http://weaponparts.storesecured.com/items/lewis-machine~tool/lewis-machine-tool-16-complete-upper-1-7-twist-f-5-6c7-cb-sf-x-xxx-detail.htm