PDA

View Full Version : Just about to start reloading .303 british.

eighteenninetytwo
01-29-2010, 8:36 AM
With my lee single stage press I bought two years back.
Questions.
If I do not have a tumbler gadgets and all that stuff, what is the best way of cleaning cases and drying cases?
At what point in the process do I do this - before or after removing the old primers?

mif_slim
01-29-2010, 8:56 AM
You can get a Zip Trim from Lee. It trims, chamfer and polishes your brass. You can do this anytime you like during the case prep.

eighteenninetytwo
01-29-2010, 9:59 AM
Doe sthat mena I wouldn't have to clean the brass at all - what about the powder residue etc from the previous shot?

mif_slim
01-29-2010, 10:08 AM
you dont have to clean those. there are brushes made for it, but you can go to harbor freight and buy a "tube brush set" for a a couple of bucks if your concern about cleaning the inside. I've never cleaned my brass inside, only for match shooting but I havent noticed any difference cleaned or not. The Zip will clean the outside, which you might need for better feeding but yeah, it will solve alot of steps in the case prep stage.

eighteenninetytwo
01-29-2010, 10:27 AM
if you don't have to clean the inside that cuts out one of the steps I was under about.
so when it comnes down to it reloading can reallt be broken down into the following steps assuming the brass is in decent condition and either new or to be fired in the same rifle.

Deprime
Necksize
Reprime
Fill Powder
Seat bullet
is there anything obvious I'm missing?

cjskalka
01-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Yes, trimming should come before priming.

mif_slim
01-29-2010, 12:18 PM
if you don't have to clean the inside that cuts out one of the steps I was under about.
so when it comnes down to it reloading can reallt be broken down into the following steps assuming the brass is in decent condition and either new or to be fired in the same rifle.

Deprime
Necksize
Reprime
Fill Powder
Seat bullet
is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Heres the steps:

1. Deprime (depending on the dies you have, but most sets will necksize/Full length size the brass, if not see 1a)
1a. Sizing(neck or full lenght) brass
2. clean primer pockets
2a. trim brass
2b. chamfer/deburr brass
3. Seat primer
4. Fill powder
5. Seat bullet
6. Crimp (if you ever start reloading for auto loaders)

gunboat
01-29-2010, 2:10 PM
As you asked about prep without tumbling --
--wipe exterior of case to make sure there is no grit present to scratch your dies.
-- Lube case neck, and neck size - deprime. or deprime first if you are doing that as a separate operation. -- Neck size only is a good idea for brass longevity with 303 as the chambers are often huge.
--check case length and trim if needed - deburr case mouth
-- clean primer pocket and prime --
- powder and seat bullet --
-- wipe finished cartridge down to remove residual case lube -
-- If you are using cast bullets don't forget to bell case mouth before seating bullet.
my ha-penny