PDA

View Full Version : Ptr-91....what do you think?

georound1
12-28-2009, 9:07 PM
Searching isn't helping...anything to look for? JLD/ Scorpion one of the best, right? Where's a good place to find one for sale or that will add a radlock? I'm near Los Angeles. Thanks

Hoop
12-28-2009, 9:13 PM
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct793.aspx

?

2600fromAtari
12-28-2009, 9:38 PM
Searching isn't helping...anything to look for? JLD/ Scorpion one of the best, right? Where's a good place to find one for sale or that will add a radlock? I'm near Los Angeles. Thanks

Look on the HK forums. There seems to be a lot of complaints about how finicky the PTR 91s are with certain ammo. Seems to be a lot of FTE. Supposedly it's trading reliability for accuracy, but I don't have any first hand experience.

Also, barrel and chamber is not chrome lined, nor is the barrel hammer forged like the real deal.

I was thinking about one...but holding off. Too expensive for something so finicky and with this much problems reported. I'll stick to my cheap AK. :-)

They are beautiful though...

titan
12-28-2009, 10:56 PM
I have experience with the PTR and German HKs. Both will choke with bad ammo. The barrel on the PTR is not hammer forged like the HK, and neither the HK or PTR have chrome lined barrels and chambers. To purchase a G3 type now in CA, the PTR is the only game in town unless you run into an HK41 or HK911, think big $$$. There were a few issues early on with the bolt gap expanding with the PTRs, but they have been resovled, not many complaints out there now. They are made on HK tooling aquired from FMP, a Portuguese company who made the G3 for their military when they fielded the G3. They were a licenced HK G3 Producer. JDL purchased and imported the tooling and remaining parts to start up mgf in the US. Company was sold later to PTR. They are GTG and looking at them side by side they are pretty much identical, accuracy is the same, well at least for me, I am not trying to shoot sub 1" groups. This design is a battle rifle from the 50s and 60s. Pretty cheap to mgf, and they were fielded by many 2nd and 3rd tier countries for that reason, oh and they work really well. The ergos on them are not the best for everyone, IMO they are heavy and kick like a mule unless you have a 2 stage heavy buffer in stock, and the Mag release button and safety are a challege at times. However, that aside, they are very nice rifles and just have this cool factor that says buy me! Everybody needs one!

Q
12-28-2009, 11:04 PM
I think, wait till after shotshow to buy something..:D

rorschach
12-28-2009, 11:28 PM
I have one, love it. It shoots as well as my HK911. It loves Radway Green and hates that Indian milsurp crap. Out of the box it runs fine, but spend a few bucks and send the FCG to Bill Springfield for a trigger job, you will not be disappointed.

Good_Knight
12-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Cold War Shooters has had them in every time I have been there. I think this model is the one I would go with: http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=455

Personally, I would rather spend my money on a H&K USC for a few reasons. One, it's a real deal actual H&K. Two, the ammo would be cheaper. And last because since its a pistol round, I could use a gun with a second point of contact in the pistol area at Angeles.

MissionMTMan
12-29-2009, 7:59 AM
I have one, love it. It shoots as well as my HK911. It loves Radway Green and hates that Indian milsurp crap. Out of the box it runs fine, but spend a few bucks and send the FCG to Bill Springfield for a trigger job, you will not be disappointed.

I think all rifles hate that "Indian milsurp crap" haha

nikonuser
12-29-2009, 8:42 AM
I love my PTR91. No problem shooting WOLF ammos. Trigger job by Bill S. made a big difference.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3076/2785230560_2a3059d559_o.jpg