PDA

View Full Version : AR-10 upper

snipermike
12-25-2009, 8:59 PM
hey i just got a stripped lower by CMMG MK-3 for x-mas, ive been looking around online at complete uppers but so many say that they're only compat. with ones made by armalite, bushmaster etc. will mine fit these as well? and if not does anyone know of any decent uppers that will fit a CMMG lower -thanks

hamster
12-25-2009, 9:03 PM
I'm not sure if CMMG makes AR10 lowers, is your lower an AR10 lower? If it isn't then you can't make an AR10 using an AR15 lower, the magwell will be too small.

Nevermind... I googled. Looks like CMMG AR10 lowers Armalite compatible and have to be modified if you want to go DPMS

snipermike
12-25-2009, 9:08 PM
ya CMMG makes ar-10 lowers, its stamped 7.62 right on the side, if you google CMMG 7.62 it comes up

gun toting monkeyboy
12-25-2009, 9:11 PM
JD Machine in San Diego has uppers that are DPMS pattern compatible. You could check with them to see what their prices are.

JagerTroop
12-25-2009, 9:11 PM
DPMS uppers are compatible. There's actually one for sale in the parts section... cheap. I think it was $525, but it's in So Cal (otherwise it would be mine)

BlackReef
12-26-2009, 1:54 AM
DPMS uppers are compatible. There's actually one for sale in the parts section... cheap. I think it was $525, but it's in So Cal (otherwise it would be mine)

DPMS Uppers are NOT compatible with AR-10 Lowers.

As far as I know, CMMG makes a AR-10 compatible lower, as well as a DPMS .308 style lower.

The OP needs to figure out if he has a AR-10 lower or a DPMS-style .308 lower first, then we can better assist him.

Jpach
12-26-2009, 2:44 AM
DPMS Uppers are NOT compatible with AR-10 Lowers.

As far as I know, CMMG makes a AR-10 compatible lower, as well as a DPMS .308 style lower.

The OP needs to figure out if he has a AR-10 lower or a DPMS-style .308 lower first, then we can better assist him.

CMMG only makes a DPMS compatible lower. IF the CMMG website is up to date of course. So if the OP has a CMMG .308 lower, he/she should only use DPMS compatible uppers

supersonic
12-26-2009, 5:43 AM
O.K., let me clear this up. CMMG makes a DPMS-pattern lower and is coming out with an AR-10 (ArmaLite) lower very soon (if it isn't already out). They also make a .308 lower that works with G3-style mags (I believe it's called the MKIII, and it may be the same DPMS-style lower IIRC) It's up to you, but if it is between a DPMS or an ArmaLite rifle you are going to build, wait for the AR-10 lower if you absolutely must have CMMG. ArmaLite is a FAR more superior product than DPMS. The two don't even compare. Also, ArmaLite was the originator of the .308 AR. Now, if you don't have to have CMMG (and are wanting to build an AR-10), AeroPrecision has had their ArmaLite-pattern lowers out now for quite some time. And, the same guys that forge the ArmaLite Lower (CA-banned) make the AP. It even has the same ArmaLite 'AR+' forge stamp in it! Hope that helps you.
-Scott

skyadrenaline
12-26-2009, 8:17 AM
ArmaLite is a FAR more superior product than DPMS. The two don't even compare.

Could you elaborate for us?

tileguy
12-26-2009, 10:30 AM
i just finished building one. if your cmmg lower says mk-3 on the side it is dpms compatible. you can pick up a complete upper in different configurations at rguns.com for a very reasonable price. i got the 18" bull barrel with free float tube, bolt and bolt carrier for 599.00 they have more expensive and less expensive configurations. i picked up a dpms lpk for 55.00

BlackReef
12-26-2009, 1:20 PM
O.K., let me clear this up. CMMG makes a DPMS-pattern lower and is coming out with an AR-10 (ArmaLite) lower very soon (if it isn't already out). They also make a .308 lower that works with G3-style mags (I believe it's called the MKIII, and it may be the same DPMS-style lower IIRC) It's up to you, but if it is between a DPMS or an ArmaLite rifle you are going to build, wait for the AR-10 lower if you absolutely must have CMMG. ArmaLite is a FAR more superior product than DPMS. The two don't even compare. Also, ArmaLite was the originator of the .308 AR. Now, if you don't have to have CMMG (and are wanting to build an AR-10), AeroPrecision has had their ArmaLite-pattern lowers out now for quite some time. And, the same guys that forge the ArmaLite Lower (CA-banned) make the AP. It even has the same ArmaLite 'AR+' forge stamp in it! Hope that helps you.
-Scott

Do you know how soon the CMMG AR-10 Lower will be coming out? I thought it was already on the market:

http://308ar.com/lowers/CMMG-AR10-Compatible-.308-Stripped-Lower.jpg

I now want (4) .308 AR Rifles: CMMG AR-10 SASS Build, CMMG AR-10 Carbine Build, LWRC REPR 20", and LWRC 16". I'll never have this gun hobby under control lol

JagerTroop
12-30-2009, 8:47 AM
hey i just got a stripped lower by CMMG MK-3 for x-mas, ive been looking around online at complete uppers but so many say that they're only compat. with ones made by armalite, bushmaster etc. will mine fit these as well? and if not does anyone know of any decent uppers that will fit a CMMG lower -thanksDPMS uppers are compatible. There's actually one for sale in the parts section... cheap. I think it was $525, but it's in So Cal (otherwise it would be mine)DPMS Uppers are NOT compatible with AR-10 Lowers.

The CMMG AR10 compatible lower is the "L308A". The OP specifically stated that he has the MK3, which is DPMS style. I know, because I have one. Maybe you should get all the facts before you start spewing FUD :p

The Director
12-30-2009, 9:22 AM
I now want (4) .308 AR Rifles: CMMG AR-10 SASS Build, CMMG AR-10 Carbine Build, LWRC REPR 20", and LWRC 16". I'll never have this gun hobby under control lol

Curious - what would the REPR do for you that the AR-10 SASS build not do - or vice versa?

eljBRD
12-30-2009, 7:13 PM
Yes, some CMMG .308 AR10 lowers are DPMS upper compatible. They even take .308 DPMS LPK, and magazines

usmcvet
01-01-2010, 7:41 PM
I'm currently building my sass on an Aero Precision lower with all Armalite parts. I've never heard of the cmmg AR-10 compatable lower. Since Aero Precision is of the same forging\tooling as Armalites, is there any reason to go with anything else?