PDA

View Full Version : 1911 gunsmith ard L.A. area

coltguy
12-15-2009, 1:05 PM
Hi Folks, I have a Colt 1911 GC that I'd like minor work done including:
dehorn sharp edges, cut and fit clark custom's magwell, internal trigger parts polishing and if possible cut and insert contrast dots into stock sights. OC Gunsmith (at Ade's) seem to offer all of the above services, anyone has experience with him and can attest to his work? Any other gunsmith suggestion with 2-3 wk turnaround time? I know the Colt GC has a different trigger sear setup so I want to be careful about finding someone knowledgeable. Thanks all.

wait_one
12-15-2009, 2:38 PM
King's Gun Works in Glendale has been around for a long time and is well known for customizing and specializing in 1911s.

I've taken a firearm other than a 1911 and they were fairly quick with what need to be done.

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/

Iknownot
12-15-2009, 3:40 PM
Hoag Gun Works

8523 Canoga Avenue
Canoga Park, CA 91304-2662
(818) 998-1510

I've seen a couple of 1911's Hoag has worked on and he does nice work.

coltguy
12-15-2009, 6:08 PM
thanks for the info folks, will definitely check out both

buffybuster
12-15-2009, 6:22 PM
I don't think Capone is at King's anymore and don't know who's doing the work now. Jim Hoag is still in Canoga Park and he's always been GTG. Bain & Davis in the SGV has done good work. Bolsa in Westminster might also be able to fix you up.

joebrock
12-15-2009, 6:48 PM
Will's Gunsmithing in Corona.

CamW
12-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Dave's Metal Works in Covina,626-859-0299.I don't know about the 2-3 week turnaround,like most good gunsmiths he's pretty busy.

KJH
12-17-2009, 6:29 PM
DO NOT go to Bain & Davis in the SGV. B&D did the checkering on my Colt DE. The only problem was, IT WASN"T STRAIGHT!! The quote from them was "That sometimes happens with custom work" Quote from me "Can you and will you fix it" Quote from them "No". THEY SUCK!! Any of the above are good. Also consider Bolsa.

wait_one
12-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Bain and Davis is small established business and has been in the SGV for a very long time. They do have loyal customers who will back them with their work and they do provide friendly personal service. They've handled several FFL transfers for me as well.

I've taken several arms there to get serviced with no problems except for one. One of my revolvers had a very heavy trigger. B&D told me they'd be able to lighten it up. When I got it back, the trigger pull was lighter,but the cylinder was mistimed as a result of their work. I ended up sending the revolver back to the factory for service.

Yes, I did get stuck with the bill from B&D and simply chalked the situation up to experience.

Would I still do business with them. Yes, but only for work that I feel is minor and not too involved.

Also, mid-year sometime I asked them to handle an OLL transfer for me, but they simply referred me to GunRunners in Duarte to handle.

An overall decent business, but not exceptional.

Hop Sing
12-18-2009, 5:31 PM
+1000 for Dave's metal works in west Covina. He is an excellent pistol smith and he makes sure your gun goes BANG every time.

Joey_H
12-25-2009, 2:42 PM
I've had some excellent work completed by Alan Tanaka in Gardena. He's in the American Pistolsmith Guild. He's known for his revolver work but he also does pistols as well. He did some nice work on my Colt Commander and a Auto Ordnance I have in 10mm. Plus some wonderful trigger jobs on several of my S&W revolvers.