PDA

View Full Version : Scope for Remington 700 sps .308?

SoCalRandy
12-13-2009, 3:54 PM
I am looking at getting a Remington 700 sps stainless .308 and I'm not sure what scope to get? I plan on using this rifle for target shooting and range use out to maybe 100-200 yds. It's not really going to be used for hunting. I don't really need the fanciest most expensive scope available but I don't want to buy a peice of junk either. I was looking at the Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 2.5-8x36mm but the + $1,000 price tag is too high for me. What do you think of the Mark 2 3-9x40 T2? Any experience with this scope or other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

rabagley
12-13-2009, 3:58 PM
3-9x will take you out to 3-500 yards easy. Since you won't be hunting, you don't need a very large objective. 40mm or less should be fine.

I'd be looking at the Leupold "Mark AR" 3-9x40 if I were you. Great scope, customizable BDC turret, low price. There's another thread in this sub-forum about it.

SoCalRandy
12-13-2009, 4:27 PM
3-9x will take you out to 3-500 yards easy. Since you won't be hunting, you don't need a very large objective. 40mm or less should be fine.

I'd be looking at the Leupold "Mark AR" 3-9x40 if I were you. Great scope, customizable BDC turret, low price. There's another thread in this sub-forum about it.

Thanks for the suggestion and quick response. I definitely like the price of that scope but it looks like it is geared toward a .223 caliber...

•The ½-MOA T2 elevation adjustment includes a pre-engraved bullet drop compensation (BDC) dial to match the ballistics of most 55 grain .223 Remington/5.56mm NATO loads.

Tragic Image
12-13-2009, 5:27 PM
I like the bushnell 3200 trophy. it does well on my 700, its a fixed 10x.

Eventually, you will get bored with shooting at 200yds. This will let you stretch your legs some.

rabagley
12-13-2009, 7:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestion and quick response. I definitely like the price of that scope but it looks like it is geared toward a .223 caliber...

•The ½-MOA T2 elevation adjustment includes a pre-engraved bullet drop compensation (BDC) dial to match the ballistics of most 55 grain .223 Remington/5.56mm NATO loads.

It is true that the BDC turret that comes with the scope is for some specific .223 round out of some length barrel, but Leupold will make you a custom BDC turret for $50 or you can make your own on the blank that's in the box. I've seen some very nice looking turrets using Avery plastic labels (white instead of black, but if it works...). There is also a simple turret in the box and that scope is available in mil-dot, so you've got a whole lot of ranging options there.

Anyway, it's well within your budget, and I'd never take a pre-made bullet compensator anyway. I don't shoot M193 out of an M4 rifle so I don't ever expect the factory BDC to match up.

rabagley
12-13-2009, 7:24 PM

Eventually, you will get bored with shooting at 200yds. This will let you stretch your legs some.

That is an excellent scope for the money. Good recommendation.

SoCalRandy
12-14-2009, 5:50 PM

Now that is a price I can live with!!! Is that scope any good though? I'm sure it will suit my needs for what I plan on using this rifle for. I don't plan on really getting into all the fine details of precision shooting....yet. Can someone recommend some decent rings and base for this set up???

97F1504RAD
12-14-2009, 7:32 PM
Call Scott @ http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html he can help you pick the right scope and also gives great pricing.

prc77
12-15-2009, 5:49 AM
PM sent

Black Majik
12-15-2009, 8:52 AM
Now that is a price I can live with!!! Is that scope any good though? I'm sure it will suit my needs for what I plan on using this rifle for. I don't plan on really getting into all the fine details of precision shooting....yet. Can someone recommend some decent rings and base for this set up???

Look into an EGW base and Seekins rings. Or you can just use a basic set of rings, the Leupold Dual Dovetail rings are perfect for what you entend to do. It's been holding zeros for hunters for decades.This will save some weight compared to the picatinny rail + rings setup.

hoozaru
12-15-2009, 9:39 AM
Nikon

SoCalRandy
12-15-2009, 7:02 PM
Look into an EGW base and Seekins rings. Or you can just use a basic set of rings, the Leupold Dual Dovetail rings are perfect for what you entend to do. It's been holding zeros for hunters for decades.This will save some weight compared to the picatinny rail + rings setup.

Thanks for the recommendation Richard, I'll look into those options.