PDA

View Full Version : 92FS vs CZ75 Reliability

xxsleepyxx
11-02-2009, 2:57 PM
I really enjoy these two designs and although they are proven designs they still seem to produce lemons for the civilian market. It seems as though these designs are a hit and miss while every Glock produced yields an extremely reliable weapon. For the owners of these weapons (beretta/cz) can you provide some insight? Thanks.

nn3453
11-02-2009, 3:03 PM
CZs are used extensively in IPSC and other competitive shooting. A jam or FTF is a lost match. A lot of the top guys use CZ. Most CZ issues are ammo problems. Most have to do with a too long OAL. CZ don't like long rounds.

xxsleepyxx
11-02-2009, 5:55 PM
^ thanks for input. I actually prefer the CZ history and aesthetics. Didn't know they were so dominant in matches though.

nn3453
11-02-2009, 6:01 PM
^ thanks for input. I actually prefer the CZ history and aesthetics. Didn't know they were so dominant in matches though.

Also search on youtube. There are a bunch of videos of guys shooting IDPA/IPSC with CZs.

sd1023x
11-02-2009, 6:02 PM
Both are rock solid and proven designs. Beretta needs no introduction. CZ is one of the most copied designs ever, IMI Jericho to the EAA Tangfolio is all based on the CZ design.

Can't go wrong

xxsleepyxx
11-02-2009, 6:22 PM
The reason I ask is cause I wonder if us civilians get a different batch of weapons than the army or police departments. Cause I know the 92fs is a variant of a widely used and proven design. The CZ 75 is reportedly used widely in Europe but I wonder if we get inferior made weaponss...

railroader
11-02-2009, 6:42 PM
I have a cz75sa and a taurus pt99. The taurus is a beretta clone made on beretta machinery. Both the cz and the taurus are extremely reliable. I think it is a toss up. But for shootability the cz wins. It has smaller more comfortable grip. The taurus grip is about as big as I have felt on a full size 9mm. Mark

Standard
11-02-2009, 6:47 PM
I think Beretta 92fs' are one of the most reliable guns out there.
I don't have any experience with CZs, but I know that I've heard great things and will probably buy one next :)

chickenfried
11-02-2009, 6:56 PM
IMO CZ75 beats Beretta 92fs in just about every category including reliability. My cz75 has proven more reliable than my G19. I had 1225 rounds through my cz75 before it's first malfunction. My G19 had a few malfunctions the first range trip. I borrowed a friends Beretta for a while didn't impress me much. Out of the three CZ has the best feel. But my hands are on the small side, wear a size small or medium glove.

maschronic
11-02-2009, 7:04 PM
i own 2 92fs. never an issue. never a problem. i've never owned a CZ so i really can't say anything about them. my vote is for 92.

IMHO, buy one that feels good on your hands.

forgiven
11-02-2009, 7:28 PM
There both great.

dwtt
11-02-2009, 7:32 PM
The reason I ask is cause I wonder if us civilians get a different batch of weapons than the army or police departments. Cause I know the 92fs is a variant of a widely used and proven design. The CZ 75 is reportedly used widely in Europe but I wonder if we get inferior made weaponss...

I have a CZ75B and it's as reliable as any of my other guns. The Glock I have isn't any more reliable than any of the other guns I have, they're all about the same and they all shoot my reloads fine as long as I clean and lube them after visiting the range. I have never heard of CZ or Beretta purposely selling inferior products to their largest customer base, the civilian market. The govt orders are not the majority of their sales. Are you thinking of Walmart when you suspect CZ or Beretta are making inferior guns to sell to the civilian market? Are you just trying your hand at fear mongering?

buffybuster
11-02-2009, 7:35 PM
I really enjoy these two designs and although they are proven designs they still seem to produce lemons for the civilian market. It seems as though these designs are a hit and miss while every Glock produced yields an extremely reliable weapon. For the owners of these weapons (beretta/cz) can you provide some insight? Thanks.

Please elaborate on your statement.

I have four Beretta's (92F, FS, G) about 150K rounds through them (never broke a locking block but I have replaced on ~25K intervals with the latest design). During all those rounds, I cannot recall a malfunction that wasn't ammo or mag related. Beretta's generally run better with a little more lube than a Glock. Beyond that I've never seen one jam that wasn't ammo or bad mag related. CZ75's have been just about as reliable and the same for Glock M17's.

I don't think there is a dime's worth of difference in reliability of these three or any other major manufacturer's designs. Feed any of them good ammo, in good mags, keep them lubed and they will run.

What Glock does seem to have that others do not is a effective marketing department promoting "Glock Perfection". Glock has issues too but they're very good at damage control. Don't hear too much about the "E-series" Glocks.

One Cavet: The Tanfoglio CZ "clones" had (not sure anymore) a different plunger FP safety than the CZ design, that could become stuck in the "safe" position and fail to fire. Once I discovered that, I sold it off.

Standard
11-02-2009, 8:45 PM
IMO CZ75 beats Beretta 92fs in just about every category including reliability. My cz75 has proven more reliable than my G19. I had 1225 rounds through my cz75 before it's first malfunction. My G19 had a few malfunctions the first range trip. I borrowed a friends Beretta for a while didn't impress me much. Out of the three CZ has the best feel. But my hands are on the small side, wear a size small or medium glove.

A Beretta 92fs using quality magazines should go 5k rounds AT LEAST before any problems. Not that it will give you problems after 5k, but it's a good time to replace a spring or two just as preventative maintenance.
I just bought a 92fs over a CZ-75b, but like I said, still want the CZ. I also own a Glock 19.

smittty
11-02-2009, 8:48 PM
Beretta 92, no failures of any kind in two guns, one stainless made in USA and one black main in Italy.

Glock 19, 1 failure in about 700 rounds. I think it was limp wirsting but not positive. I still trust it 100%.

CZ P-01, no failures of any kind. Shoots more accurately than either 92 or the G19. Imo, the P-01 is the best of the three.

Smitty

caldude
11-02-2009, 8:49 PM
I love my CZ75. The only issue I've ever had with it was a hollowpoint hanging up on the feed ramp.

Ron-Solo
11-02-2009, 8:54 PM
Use good ammo and maintain any of these guns properly and you won't have issues.

Drop any mag wrong and you can have problems. Cheap ammo is the biggest reason for failures.

Get what feels best to you.

Mr. Beretta
11-02-2009, 8:56 PM
I purchased my 1st Beretta 92F in 1985. I have at least 100,000 rds down range with this gun. I've replaced nothing other then the grips and NP3'ed the slide.

Never, ever a problem! Never!

sirgiles
11-02-2009, 9:10 PM
approximately 8k on my 1st sp-01. so far no failures. only thing i replaced was the rubber grips for aesthetic reasons.
only 2k on my second sp-01 with a shadow slide. it also has not experienced any failures. only work done on it was trigger and hammer job by czcustom.

dwtt
11-02-2009, 9:22 PM
Please elaborate on your statement.

I don't think there is a dime's worth of difference in reliability of these three or any other major manufacturer's designs. Feed any of them good ammo, in good mags, keep them lubed and they will run.

What Glock does seem to have that others do not is a effective marketing department promoting "Glock Perfection". Glock has issues too but they're very good at damage control. Don't hear too much about the "E-series" Glocks.

Relax, it's clear you have lots of shooting experience. I suspect the OP has limited experience and asked a question based on gossip, so we should give him the benefit of the doubt. CZ and Beretta don't sell inferior version of their guns to the civilian market.

Bug Splat
11-03-2009, 9:58 AM
Not a fan of Beretta's larger pistols. Just don't like the way they feel or shoot. Love CZ's though. I'm just not sure why CZ is still so undiscovered here in the USA. the rest of the world knows this pistol well and buys lots of them. I don't think I have ever met an unsatisfied CZ owner.