PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ship ammo in flat rate USPS boxes??

bombadillo
10-26-2009, 4:59 PM
I'm getting ready to ship out some handgun ammo to another calgunner and wanted to know if anybody has any experience shipping ammo in the flat rate boxes?? I usually just go UPS and may do it this time, but if its any cheaper, i'll try to go for the flat rate box and label it ORM-D as usual. Thanks in advance.

762cavalier
10-26-2009, 5:09 PM
You cannot ship ammo through the USPS. UPS or fedex only.;)

IrishPirate
10-26-2009, 5:11 PM
if getting arrested and convicted of a felony is what you're looking for...then yeah it works great. But if you'd like to keep your gun rights...go with the only legal ways to ship. FedEx, UPS, the other yellow guys.

bombadillo
10-26-2009, 5:15 PM
Blast, yet again why I never use USPS for anything. I haven't shipped through them since the lady working there parked her car through about 5 parking spots designated for motorcycles. I got into it with her about us having to park out in BFE anyway and was really smug about the whole thing. I Parked my bike right next to her door so she couldn't get in or out till I got there and locked it up. She was pissed but I got to give her a good lecture about being decent.

Oh well, no shiny bracelets for me so i'll stick with UPS.

Vinz
10-26-2009, 5:38 PM
just don't forget these.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=54456
vinz

bombadillo
10-26-2009, 5:40 PM
You're a gentleman and a scholar :cheers2: I have them around somewhere but now I don't have to look for them.

five.five-six
10-26-2009, 5:42 PM
I ship boolits flat rate box all the time

762cavalier
10-26-2009, 5:45 PM
yes but those aren't loaded ammunition.;) I get boolits by USPS all the time but loaded ammo come and goes UPS or Fedex.

five.five-six
10-26-2009, 5:46 PM
he he he,,, but I get my money's worth when shipping lead :lol:

freakshow10mm
10-26-2009, 6:00 PM
Yes, ammunition must ship FedE or UPS ORM-D. I just use a sharpie and write ORM-D on it. As long as it's on there, they don't care.

caoboy
10-27-2009, 1:12 AM
Yes, ammunition must ship FedE or UPS ORM-D. I just use a sharpie and write ORM-D on it. As long as it's on there, they don't care.

The fedex depot here in Modesto wouldn't let me when I wrote ORM-D on the box...They said that I can't drop it off, they need to pick it up or some crap.

Buyos1717
10-27-2009, 6:43 AM
When i went to fedex or UPS to try and ship ammo they told me i would have to pay an extra fee. Shipping about a pound of ammo was going to be like $70 with a hazard fee and stuff. I don't recall exactly because this was about a year ago. I guess i shouldn't have told them what it was when they asked :rolleyes:

RogueSniper
10-28-2009, 12:58 AM
When i went to fedex or UPS to try and ship ammo they told me i would have to pay an extra fee. Shipping about a pound of ammo was going to be like $70 with a hazard fee and stuff. I don't recall exactly because this was about a year ago. I guess i shouldn't have told them what it was when they asked :rolleyes:

I didn't think ammunition was Haz Mat. I thought only powder, primer, and gun chemicals were consider Haz Mat. Could someone confirm? I think they were charging you extra for the ORM-D.

I shipped ammo via USPS once and the Postmaster sent me a letter saying that it was a no-no. Well, the only reason I got caught was that it was addressed to Federal Premium Ammunition. :rolleyes: The bullet in question was missing the primer and the powder, so basically it was a dummy bullet and not live.

Sky_DiveR
10-28-2009, 1:26 AM
WTF! I just came from Fed-Ex yesterday and the guy behind the counter... um... lets call him... DICK... told me I cannot ship ammunition cuz it's classified as an explosive and I must be certified to ship explosives. Said the same thing about Haz-Mat also. I must be certified. He also mentioned that a company in Corona, CA can package up my Haz-Mat and Explosives and ship it for me for a cost. "Huh?"

Who has actually shipped primers/powder (Haz-Mat) and Ammo (Explosives) thru Fed-Ex or UPS? And what were the procedures?

bombadillo
10-28-2009, 6:05 AM
I didn't think ammunition was Haz Mat. I thought only powder, primer, and gun chemicals were consider Haz Mat. Could someone confirm? I think they were charging you extra for the ORM-D.

I shipped ammo via USPS once and the Postmaster sent me a letter saying that it was a no-no. Well, the only reason I got caught was that it was addressed to Federal Premium Ammunition. :rolleyes: The bullet in question was missing the primer and the powder, so basically it was a dummy bullet and not live.

I know at least through ups that this is true. They make you ORM-D 4 sides of the box and ship it right through. I only had one newb question it, and he asked his boss and boss man told him to take it. They will take haz-mat stuff as long as you disclaim it and I don't believe you need to be licensed for shipping it as long as its all labeled properly.

EOD Guy
10-28-2009, 7:20 AM
WTF! I just came from Fed-Ex yesterday and the guy behind the counter... um... lets call him... DICK... told me I cannot ship ammunition cuz it's classified as an explosive and I must be certified to ship explosives. Said the same thing about Haz-Mat also. I must be certified. He also mentioned that a company in Corona, CA can package up my Haz-Mat and Explosives and ship it for me for a cost. "Huh?"

Who has actually shipped primers/powder (Haz-Mat) and Ammo (Explosives) thru Fed-Ex or UPS? And what were the procedures?

He was correct in that small arms ammunition is classed by DOT as a Division 1.4S Explosive material. However, it can be reclassed as an ORM-D material if properly packaged and the gross weight of the package is less than 30 kilograms (66 pounds). ORM-D materials are hazardous materials but are not normally charged HAZMAT fees in ground transportation.

If you were trying to ship by air, the ORM-D exception does not exist under the IATA/ICAO Dangerous Goods regulations and the ammunition would be classed as an explosive. You would have to be certified under those regulations within the last two years in order to sign a dangerous goods declaration.

Here is an excerpt I put together from the DOT regulations concerning shipment of small arms ammunition.

Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Part 173

173.63 Packaging exceptions

(b) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices. (1) Cartridges, small arms and cartridges power devices (which are used to project fastening devices) which have been classed as a Division 1.4S explosive may be reclassed, offered for transportation, and transported as ORM-D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) and F (Placarding) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM-D material is limited to:

(i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol, or shotgun;
(ii) Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition;
(iii) Ammunition having no tear gas, incendiary, or detonating explosive projectiles;
(iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shotshells; and
(v) Cartridges power devices which are used to project fastening devices.

(2) Packaging for cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices as ORM-D material must be as follows:
(i) Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions which fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips;
(ii) Primers must be protected from accidental initiation;
(iii) Inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packed in securely-closed strong outside packagings;
(iv) Maximum gross weight is limited to 30 Kg (66 pounds) per package; and
(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packagings.

Part 172 (Marking)

172.316 Packagings containing material classed as ORM-D

(a) Each non-bulk packaging containing a material classed as ORM-D must be marked on at least one side or end with the ORM-D designation immediately following or below the proper shipping name of the material (Cartridges, Small Arms). The ORM designation must be placed within a rectangle that is approximately 6.3 mm (0.25 inches) larger on each side than the designation.

(b) The marking ORM-D is the certification by the person offering the packaging for transportation that the material is properly described, classed, packaged, marked and labeled (when appropriate) and in proper condition for transportation according to the applicable regulations of this subchapter.

Definitions:

IATA = International Air Transport Association
ICAO = International Civil Aviation Organization
ORM-D = Other Regulated Material-D (The D doesn't means anything.)

freakshow10mm
10-28-2009, 7:34 AM
They will take haz-mat stuff as long as you disclaim it and I don't believe you need to be licensed for shipping it as long as its all labeled properly.
You must have a Hazardous Material Shipper Contract on file with FedEx or UPS in order to ship HM stuff. It's federal regulations.

m1aowner
10-28-2009, 2:16 PM
And the USPS will go on losing millions and millions.

GrayWolf09
10-28-2009, 4:53 PM
Midway shipped me some bullets using USPS. I had just moved and I had to go to the PO to get them. When I got there the postal lady had a bullet ominously taped to the outside of the package, it was covered in postal tape and it made a not very reassuring rattling sound when you shook it.

"What's that?" she asked me.

"It's a bullet." I said in all innocence.

"That's not the way to start a relationship with me in a new town." she said.

I explained that it was copper and lead -- no explosives, no bang.

She eyed me suspiciously and let me have the package. I was 9 bullets short.

So much for the USPS.

SimpleCountryActuary
10-28-2009, 6:59 PM
Good thing it wasn't one of those heat seeking bullets.

Intimid8tor
10-28-2009, 9:00 PM
So, is there a charge for the ORM-D through UPS?

Mssr. Eleganté
10-28-2009, 9:07 PM
So, is there a charge for the ORM-D through UPS?

There is no extra charge for ORM-D shipped with UPS.

bombadillo
10-29-2009, 7:38 AM
Correct^

Intimid8tor
10-29-2009, 7:12 PM
Thanks.

paul0660
10-29-2009, 7:16 PM
Midway shipped me some bullets using USPS. You mean bullets, not cartridges, right? Nothing wrong with using USPS to ship bullets, they are no more dangerous than rocks, and have no restrictions. I think the thing to learn from this thread is that you, the shipper, might know more about the law than the person behind the counter.

Guns R Tools
10-30-2009, 9:17 AM
You can ship lead, bullets, brass with USPS. There is no primer nor powder. It is totally inert.

I know you can ship lead bricks with flat rate box with tons of tapes to ensure box's integrity.

B.D.Dubloon
10-30-2009, 9:18 AM
Y
I know you can ship lead bricks with flat rate box with tons of tapes to ensure box's integrity.

The post office must love you:D