PDA

View Full Version : Info on S&W Model 29...

KAVEMAN762
10-02-2009, 9:43 PM
Hello everyone, Ive been searching up on some info on the Model 29 revolver. My buddy has one for sale, and before I buy it or post it in the for sale forum for him, I have some questions. I found the history of it so far but was wondering what a used one goes for these days? Is there like a kelly blue book for guns somewhere? It is in pretty good condition(better than the photos), and has less than 500 rounds through them, and still has all the brass casings that were ever fired through them. I believe it is a 6" barrel, could be a tad bit more I havent measured myself yet. I believe it is blued, too but I forget. Ive attached some pictures I recieved from him. They are camera phone pictures, which are not very clear. Thanks, and any info would be much appreciated!

Better pictures to come, just in case there is anyone interested in it besides me:D

trashman
10-02-2009, 9:56 PM
The SCSW, 3rd Ed., (http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Catalog-Smith-Wesson/dp/089689293X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254549352&sr=8-1) is the grail of S&W collectors/accumulators.

That M29 looks like a 29-3, or 29-4 (not pinned and counterbored); without the box or original wood grips it should still bring ~$600 if it's in really nice shape.

--Neill

BigDogatPlay
10-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Blue Book of Used Gun Values.... available at Amazon or most of the larger book sellers.

Some things to find out about this piece....

** Model 29 dash what? Inside the frame when the cylinder is open you should see stamped Model 29- and a number. The lower the dash number, the older the gun is and (in the eyes of many buyers) the better. No dash = most desirable quite often. Since there is no extra screw at the top of the sideplate and I can't see a screw hole in the front of the trigger guard, this is at least a 29-2 (1961-1982) or later.

** From the photos I can not tell, is there a pin through the frame at the back of the barrel? Are the chambers countersunk at the back of the cylinder? If so, price goes up a bit. Not pinned and recessed, then it's a 29-3 or later.

** Double check the barrel length, measuring from the reat of the forcing cone to the muzzle. 6 inches or 6.5? If 6.5, the price will often go up a bit.

** Is there an original factory box, a wood presentation case or both? If a box, are the tools and papers with it? If yes to all of the above, price can go up a bunch depending on condition of the extras.

** Are the original grips present?

The blue looks what I'd classify as good in the photos. There is some turn ring on the cylinder so it's had some use either live firing, dry firing or a some of both. Looks like some other honest wear. Without having it in my hands, I'd start in the $500-$600 range.

KAVEMAN762
10-02-2009, 11:00 PM
hey thanks for the replies, and for more info than what I recieved in the 2 hours+ of reading. I will get my hands on it this weekend, and I will note everything that has been said, as far as model number plus dashes, barrel length, etc. Thanks again for the help!!! I will probably report back here with more of the needed information, in hopes to get more info, as well as pictures of the chamber, bore, etc.

BillCA
10-03-2009, 12:34 AM
The two key elements will be the model number and the serial number.

Open the cylinder and inside the frame, opposite the yoke (swing-out arm) you should see stamped the model number -- Mod 29-3 or simply 29-5. Write this down, including the "dash number". Underneath it should be the serial number - N123456 or ABC123. If you can't read it, the serial number is also on the bottom of the grip frame (may need to remove grips to read it).

Post the information here with the last 2 or 3 numbers of the serial number replaced by 'x'. e.g. N783xxx. This way we can also tell you approximately when the gun was made.

Since the gun has been fired, it is not in 100% condition. Ask if he has the box, cleaning kit and paperwork that came with the gun. That does add value in resale. Ask if he has the original wood grips too.

GM4spd
10-03-2009, 7:10 AM
As Bill points out look in the cylinder yoke(like the picture) and see what
the 29-? says-- Pete

http://www.fototime.com/CE67071279C46F6/standard.jpg

KAVEMAN762
10-03-2009, 3:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the help!! MUCH appreciated. As soon as I can see the mod29 again, I will take note and check back! Thanks!!!!

KAVEMAN762
10-05-2009, 9:52 AM
Found out a couple more things, the serial number is AHJ8667, and says its a Model 29-3 with a 6.5" barrel. What do you guys think as far as price? New pictures at top

c good
10-05-2009, 5:13 PM
Made between January 1985-July 1985. Not P&R as previously mentioned. It appears to be in good condition. I would tighten the sight leaf down on the top strap though. It appears to have the TT(Target Trigger) and TH (Target Hammer). Rubber grips, no box or paperwork take away from value but if timing is good, endshake within spec, I'd say $600 is a very fair price. It would go for more at a shop. Probably more like $750 (if you could find one). Post some more pics when you have a chance, show us the recoil shield area and inside top strap. HTH c good

KAVEMAN762
10-05-2009, 7:23 PM
Thanks for the reply!! I will definiteley get more pictures, these are just what my buddy sent me. I will try to take some myself which would be more detailed of course.

BigDogatPlay
10-05-2009, 7:30 PM
+1 the above from c good. I'd start my offer at $550 and probably go not much more than $675. Thats a PPT price. Gun shop might easily try to go $750 up to $900 depending on where it's at.

It can definitely use some cleaning around the forcing cone and in the barrel underlug around the front locking pin. Definitely tighten down that sight leaf, would have to see that go flying at the range.