PDA

View Full Version : Mauser Kar98k magazine disassembly

Crusader
09-17-2009, 12:12 PM
I have owned several Mausers so far and this is the first time I've come across this problem.

I have a 1938 Kar98k that I am breaking apart for cleaning and lubrication. However, for some reason the magazine simply will not disassemble. The small button in front of the trigger guard depresses as normal, but the floorplate will not slide rearward. I tried wedging it, sliding it back and forth, etc but nothing is moving.

I am wondering if the previous owner superglued it in place or something, thinking it was broken.

Does anyone have any tricks or tips?

5hundo
09-17-2009, 12:33 PM
My VZ-24 did the same thing...

It's just years of not being moved and not having enough access to be cleaned well. I eventually got mine off with a plastic hammer and a center punch.

I'm not sure I would try that on a 98K...

A VZ-24...? Meh, why not...

DWarner
09-17-2009, 5:32 PM
Sometimes you need to press down the button with one hand, and then with your other two hands gently tap the floorplate back. It is hard to do, so far, I haven't met any three handed people.

TRICKSTER
09-17-2009, 8:55 PM
Broke mine loose with a wooden dowel tapped lightly with a hammer.
If that doesn't work, take off the entire trigger guard assembly and soak it from the inside with WD40 and try again.

Trench Broom
09-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Yeah, a wooden dowel or brass punch would work well. I had one floorplate do the same thing on me - Id've sworn that sucker was welded in place. Came off eventually with some coaxing.

caldude
09-18-2009, 7:38 AM
I had one like that that I had to use the plastic mallet to get off. The bigger problem was that it was slightly warped and getting it back on was a bigger PITA.