PDA

View Full Version : Info on SW revolver?

beetle
07-29-2009, 7:51 PM
Hi There.

I was hoping somebody could give me some info on the following gun. A family member is going to transfer it to me (doing the PPT in the next few days). I only recently got into guns and have little knowledge on revolvers.

http://www.employees.org/~beetle/sig/SW38.jpg

It's obviously a Smith and Wesson, but what model? There's a loop at the bottom near the handle, what's that for? some kind of strap or something?

The serial number begins with "V" and is in the 4XX,XXX range.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Rudolf the Red
07-29-2009, 7:53 PM
Looks like a pre-model 10 .38 Special. The loop is a lanyard loop. Soldiers or police attach a cord from the gun to their body so the gun cannot be taken away or lost.

Could be a .45ACP. I can't tell from the pic.

ojisan
07-29-2009, 8:02 PM
It looks like a WW2 Victory model, built on the K size frame.
This one has what looks like a 4" barrel instead of the usual 5".
The lanyard loop (to prevent loss in combat) is also what makes this a military model.
Large quantities of these were Lend / Leased to the British in WW2.
British guns were mostly chambered in .38/200 with 5" barrels.
USA guns were chambered in .38 Special, some 4" barrels were used stateside.
This gun has had the original grips replaced with commercial model S&W grips or copies thereof.
If chambered in .38 Special, do not use +P ammo in it.

Click:
http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/victory_model_smith_and_wesson.htm

22popnsplat
07-29-2009, 8:26 PM
The Victory model was so named for the "V" prefix which was placed before the serial number and represented "Victory" against the Axis powers in World War II.

Serial numbers for the .38 special Victory model began at about V1 in early 1942 and ran until VS811119 with a date of late August of 1945 (end of production). V1 to approximately V39,999 were predominately .38 S&W Caliber (I have observed revolvers in the 1-40000 range in .38 special caliber). Serial numbers are located on Inside right grip, frame butt, Cylinder, extractor star, and bottom of barrel. Crane and crane recess are also serial numbered to each other, but this is a different number then the revolvers serial number as is correct for Victory model revolvers.

The Victory Revolver was produced during World War II, it is a variation of the Military & Police Model of 1905, fourth change and had the following characteristics between 1942 and 1945:

Barrel: 2, 4, 5, or 6 inch. (4 inch common in .38 special, 5 inch common in 38/200 or .38 S&W)
Sights: Fixed
Finish: Early sandblast blue, sandblast mid-night black (appears grayish black). And finally a parkerized finish. Hammer and Trigger are case hardened.
Grips: Checkered walnut with medallion until early 1942, post February of 1942 they are smooth American Walnut with out medallions.

beetle
07-29-2009, 8:41 PM
Thanks guys! sounds like an early Victory model with the blue finish and checkered walnut. Very cool to know this gun has some history and was maybe used during WW2.

eaglemike
07-29-2009, 8:48 PM
If it's chambered in .38 S&W - this isn't the same as the much more common .38 special (or .38 S&W special). I'm guessing this is the case :) from the look of the proportions of it, but I could be wrong. Don't shoot the .38 special ammunition in it if this is so. The .38 S&W ammunition is available, but low powered and likely more $$ than .38 special.

Very neat gun!

all the best,
Mike

beetle
07-29-2009, 10:08 PM
The barrel is marked ".38 S&W Special" so I guess this means it shoots .38 S&W rounds and not .38 special?

MrKyle
07-30-2009, 1:03 AM
The barrel is marked ".38 S&W Special" so I guess this means it shoots .38 S&W rounds and not .38 special?

No, that means its .38 special.

B Strong
07-30-2009, 5:58 AM
That's a 'Smith Victory revolver from WWII - nice wheelgun, lots of history.

The K frame Smith and Wesson is one of the perfect firearm designs, imo.

Hi There.

I was hoping somebody could give me some info on the following gun. A family member is going to transfer it to me (doing the PPT in the next few days). I only recently got into guns and have little knowledge on revolvers.

http://www.employees.org/~beetle/sig/SW38.jpg

It's obviously a Smith and Wesson, but what model? There's a loop at the bottom near the handle, what's that for? some kind of strap or something?

The serial number begins with "V" and is in the 4XX,XXX range.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

jinggoyd1967
07-30-2009, 9:43 PM
Some of the older Victory model did not have a hammer block safety. The gun could fire if dropped. It could be a good idea to at least know if you have it.