PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry on BLM land?

savasyn
07-27-2009, 2:10 PM
When out on BLM owned land in areas where it's legal to shoot, can one carry a concealed handgun?

If not, LOC in a holster should be legal, right?

Thanks!

sorensen440
07-27-2009, 2:11 PM
IIRC only when hunting or fishing

otherwise its LOC unless otherwise prohibited

savasyn
07-27-2009, 2:58 PM
excellent, thank you :)

HondaMasterTech
07-27-2009, 3:24 PM
If you carry concealed how would they even know?

sorensen440
07-27-2009, 3:27 PM
If you carry concealed how would they even know?
If you rob a bank and no one sees you how would they know ?

There is always a chance you will be put into a position where an illegally carried weapon could be found and you could be charged.

M1A Rifleman
07-27-2009, 6:37 PM
I like to use the National Forest and BLM lands for recreation and have done a lot of research on these regulations. *GENERALLY* NO you can't conceal carry unless you have a CCW license / permit. In some circumstances if hunting and fishing you may conceal carry with limitations. Unfortunately, we live in oppressive, over regulated Kommiefornia. Since this is the situation and in light of the draconian punishments and lack of justice in regards to even minor violations of gun regulations on public lands, ALWAYS call local Rangers / Law Enforcement before using any area LOC in a visible holster for the most part is OK in NF and BLM lands *but* there are certian areas that are closed to hunting and shooting so do yourself a big favor and call before using any area, they are not all the same. When I call for info I always chat them up and get the rangers name and note it. This diligence has paid off.

Sound Wisdom, Thanks

HondaMasterTech
07-27-2009, 6:39 PM
If you have a fishing license, a fishing pole and are walking a trail to a lake in BLM or NFS, Im sure there wouldn't be a problem.

MrClamperSir
07-27-2009, 7:21 PM
Open carry unless fishing or hunting. And like stated above If you know what area you'll be goint to, call the local authorities first, they are usaully real nice and helpful over the phone.

savasyn
07-27-2009, 8:01 PM
Cool, one of my friends has already called twice and talked to too different folks that said it was ok to shoot in that area. I may call myself and get a name as suggested above though.
Thanks!

Decoligny
07-28-2009, 7:58 AM
IIRC only when hunting or fishing

otherwise its LOC unless otherwise prohibited

And then only unloaded concealed carry.

PC 12027

(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or
other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while
engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms
unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing
expedition.

HondaMasterTech
07-28-2009, 3:18 PM

PC 12027

expedition.

If you are in an area that does not prohibit shooting, you can carry loaded.

XDshooter
07-29-2009, 12:34 AM

PC 12027

expedition.

The "unloaded" part only applies to the part following it, which is going to or returning from.

While currently engaged in the expedition, you can carry loaded.

HondaMasterTech
07-29-2009, 6:35 AM
How to Own a Gun and Stay Out of Jail. John Matchinger. California 2008. Page 62. "You don't need an exception to the loaded gun law when you lawfully hunt, because you are not in a "prohibited area" where it's illegal to shoot a gun, and therefore the loaded gun law doesn't apply."

This book was written by a gun attourney and used for CCW training by major law enforcement agencies. Maybe bring a copy when you carry.

LesGrossman41510
07-29-2009, 9:22 AM
all these stupid regulations really hammer it home that i do not live in a free country at all, i cant even go out into the wilderness and shoot off some rounds without worrying about going to jail. kommiefornia sucks.

savasyn
07-30-2009, 2:31 PM
I finally got around to calling the BLM office about the area we wanted to go to. Turns out that that exact spot has been closed "temporarily"(years now) but anywhere else on the local BLM land is ok as long as all fish and game laws are followed.

MudCamper
07-30-2009, 7:47 PM
Firearms in Forests and Parks (and BLM) (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457)