PDA

View Full Version : M1A Scout Tuning & S. Cal Gunsmith

ripcurlksm
06-17-2009, 9:43 AM
I am looking for a M14 gunsmith to help me dial in my scout.

1) Muzzle Break Reaming/Alignment - I see light bullet streaks inside my muzzle break. Ive taken it off since, cleaned it and put it back on tapped and tight and I'm still seeing streaks from the bullet exiting.

2) Front sight (Check barrel index?) - with my rear sight at zero, I had to adjust my front sight all the way to the left on my front sight post. Its very close to the edge. SAI says it normal as long as its not hanging off. Others have told me it might be the barrel index. I don't know but I want it checked out.

3) Trigger Tuning

4) Other recommended upgrades (that I can drop in myself) away from SAI parts? I was looking at (1) Sadlak Industries NM Titanium Nitride Coated Gas Piston (2) Sadlak Industries NM Operating Rod Spring Guide

5) Stock - I have the plastic polymer stock, I will be getting the JAE eventually, but will the standard fiberglass stock be more accurate then the polymer stock?

6) All opinions and criticism encouraged (ex: don't waste your money tuning SAI, keep your scout as it is and save up for a quality M14, etc.)

chuck762
06-17-2009, 9:48 AM
Since it has a life time warranty why not send it back to springfield? They can also do trigger work and such there in the shop too.
As far as know you already have the filerglass stock. Springfield fills in the M14 selector hole, paints them with the crinkle paint and adds the rubber pad.

ripcurlksm
06-17-2009, 10:03 AM
thanks chuck-- btw, I am sure its the polymer stock, not the fiberglass stock

chuck762
06-17-2009, 10:29 AM
According to their site they have either wood or fiberglass unless they changed something.

ripcurlksm
06-17-2009, 10:50 AM
ya, its not on their website.

Here is polymer:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/munkeeboi/bang/IMG_6148.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/munkeeboi/bang/IMG_6147.jpg

Here is a fiberglass:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/spr_aa9126.jpg

HappyG
06-17-2009, 10:54 AM
SA's custom shop is great. Their turn around times are reasonable, and their customer service is excellent. I know you were looking for someone local, but shipping is nominal and the work would be exact. GL.

ERdept
06-17-2009, 10:55 AM
He's not in Cali, but he's one of the best.

Tank's rifle shot. Only person to do steel on steel bedding that allows dissassembly w/o damaging the bedding...

http://www.tanksrifleshop.com/

He did my M1A, put a Kreiger barrel on it, steel bedded, put all my Titanium Sadlak parts on, new muzzle brake, and McMillan camo stocked it, 3 lb trigger.

See my build sheet on this link.......

http://erdept.smugmug.com/gallery/2133179_asXVu#110460954_5hZn6

30Cal
06-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Tom Luhmann in Clovis. His phone number will come up if you run a search.

Sumo99
06-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I did the following to my scout:

Sadlak Piston (Non Grooved)
Sadlak Spring Guide
Sadlak Tactical Mag Release
Smith Enterprises Gas Lock Front Sight - Hooded
Smith Enterprises CA Comp & Coast Guard Muzzle Brake.

I did the piston just because I heard it was easier to clean.
The spring guide helped smooth out the action, but not as much as some seem to claim
I love the tactical mag release. both my buddies with Socoms bought one after using mine.
I really like the hooded front sight. But, honestly, I did it more for looks than functionality.
I'm still debating which muzzle device I like the best.

I also have a Smith Enterprises Tactical bolt release, but I'm not sure if I'm going to install it or not.

ERdept
06-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I did the following to my scout:

Sadlak Piston (Non Grooved)
Sadlak Spring Guide
Sadlak Tactical Mag Release
Smith Enterprises Gas Lock Front Sight - Hooded
Smith Enterprises CA Comp & Coast Guard Muzzle Brake.

I did the piston just because I heard it was easier to clean.
The spring guide helped smooth out the action, but not as much as some seem to claim
I love the tactical mag release. both my buddies with Socoms bought one after using mine.
I really like the hooded front sight. But, honestly, I did it more for looks than functionality.
I'm still debating which muzzle device I like the best.

I also have a Smith Enterprises Tactical bolt release, but I'm not sure if I'm going to install it or not.

I had the coast guard brake and liked it.

M1A Rifleman
06-17-2009, 2:30 PM
If your bullets are hitting the break then it is not aligned correctly - which did happen occasionally to the M14. There is a tool or alignment gauge that is supposed to be used when installing the front FS. I would send back and have SA look at it. Also, having your rear sight all the way to one side is not correct - this can be verified in GI manuals. The GI way was to set the rear site at 0, sight-in, and adjust the front site to get within the bull. As long as the front sight was not hanging off the rifle your good. I'd have them check, but if your bullets hit the break than that also could be the problem with the sight adjustment.

ripcurlksm
06-17-2009, 3:18 PM
The GI way was to set the rear site at 0, sight-in, and adjust the front site to get within the bull.

Yes, this is what I did:
with my rear sight at zero, I had to adjust my front sight all the way to the left on my front sight post. Its very close to the edge.

That is a good point though... my brake had bullet marks on the left side, perhaps causing the bullet to bounce or richochet to the right impacting the target on the right side. This would explain why my front sight is to the extreme left to compensate. Thanks M1A

M1A Rifleman
06-17-2009, 3:23 PM
Yes, this is what I did:

That is a good point though... my brake had bullet marks on the left side, perhaps causing the bullet to bounce or richochet to the right impacting the target on the right side. This would explain why my front sight is to the extreme left to compensate. Thanks M1A

Personally, I like my front site at 0 and the rear site within 2-3 clicks to get on zero. I'd send it back with a detailed letter of the problem, even a picture or two and let them fix you up.

30Cal
06-17-2009, 4:26 PM
If your bullets are hitting the break then it is not aligned correctly - which did happen occasionally to the M14. There is a tool or alignment gauge that is supposed to be used when installing the front FS.

It's a gage. Either it goes on straight or it doesn't (the gage isn't going to help if it doesn't).

Stringer
06-17-2009, 4:35 PM
As far as M14 smiths go, Jim Gronning (http://www.gruningprecision.com/2007_gruning_website_006.htm) in Riverside is the man. He is a former aerospace machinist who still machines to aerospace tolerance (0.0001") and he was specifically trained in M14 gunsmithing by an old school M14 armorer. To get your rifle to him, you contact Dan Hepler at Merlyn Rifleworks (http://rifleworks.com/id6.html) who is the civilian contact for Gruning Precision.

M1A Rifleman
06-18-2009, 7:43 AM
It's a gage. Either it goes on straight or it doesn't (the gage isn't going to help if it doesn't).

Correct, but a gauge is used to ensure it goes one correctly as there is not much play between the diameters of the FS and the bullet uless the FS is reamed out.