PDA

View Full Version : what gun should i get for my wife

capatriot1987
06-10-2009, 2:18 PM
i am thinking about getting my wife a walther pps or a glock 17 or 19 what do you guys think let me know talk to you later take care god bless

rich
auburn,ca

Pistolwhipped
06-10-2009, 2:26 PM
It depends on what the intended use is but if its just for the range and having some fun then get a small caliber like a 380. The walther is a good one or Bersa makes a decent 380 pistol for a good price.

paintballergb
06-10-2009, 2:31 PM
I say get whatever feels best in her hands.

Rob Roy
06-10-2009, 2:44 PM
i am thinking about getting my wife a walther pps or a glock 17 or 19 what do you guys think let me know talk to you later take care god bless

rich
auburn,ca
PPS is awesome, but it would be hard to get here since it's not on the list. Another thing, mag release on PPS requires some getting used to.

chefdude
06-10-2009, 2:51 PM
.380 is a good manageble round. My wife loves her Sig P232, infact I think I love it more. Great balance great trigger and stainless steel is real!!!!

Legasat
06-10-2009, 3:40 PM
Be smart, take her to the range, let her shoot a bunch of guns (that you pick out for her), then let HER choose. You can advise & coach, but if your wife is anything like mine, it's best if SHE chooses the one (out of the bunch that you have pre-selected for her to try).

nosuchagency
06-10-2009, 4:23 PM
Be smart, take her to the range, let her shoot a bunch of guns (that you pick out for her), then let HER choose. You can advise & coach, but if your wife is anything like mine, it's best if SHE chooses the one (out of the bunch that you have pre-selected for her to try).

pretty much. has she shot a handgun before? if not, some factors you may wish to determine prior to making a purchase are whether she a.) has strength to rack a slide, b) has strength to squeeze a heavier double action trigger, c.) is recoil sensitive, etc...

ZRT650
06-10-2009, 4:44 PM
for the wife, its all about what ever feels best and she is most comfortable with shooting. Like the post above take her to the range and let get a feel for some different weapons. If she has never shot anything before i think the walther p22 would be a great choice. If she takes well to shooting i think 9mm is another great caliber. I would say the G19 is a better option then the 17 though just because of size

Futurecollector
06-10-2009, 4:46 PM
Ruger P-89,
SIg P6
Glock 23

DEGAL FTW!!!!

ZRT650
06-10-2009, 4:49 PM
check out this post. i think she could have fun with something along these lines

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=192164

K5Cruiser
06-10-2009, 4:53 PM
I also suggest going to the range and renting a few different handguns and letting her decide what she likes best. If she's new to shooting, and you just have to surprise her with a gun, then start her with a small caliber like a Sig Mosquito.

Ed_in_Sac
06-10-2009, 5:32 PM

rich
auburn,ca

Would recommend whatever you choose that you invest in a self defense pistol or concealed carry course if that is her goal. With all of that said, I have always been a proponent of small 5 or 6 shot 38 spl. guns. Heck, S&W even named one "Lady Smith." But it is less important what you choose than how safely it is used.

Best of Luck to you and your Lady!

turbochris
06-10-2009, 5:47 PM
you have to take her to shop for what she likes. I bought my girl a gun and she didnt like it. so its mines now. recently got a 380 for her and she loves it. guess .45's are too much gun for a lady.

Dirtbiker
06-10-2009, 5:49 PM
The Sig P6 has a larger grip than my full size 1911. My wife couldnt grip it comfortably. I'm thinking about getting her a Commander length 9mm 1911.

goathead
06-10-2009, 7:36 PM
no on the ppk it sucks bad

c good
06-10-2009, 7:48 PM
I'd go with a revolver in .38 special as mentioned above. Reliable, uncomplicated. Squeeze the trigger. Period. HTH c good

smittty
06-10-2009, 7:50 PM

rich
auburn,ca

Sig P225/P6.

movie zombie
06-10-2009, 7:55 PM
ditto re take her to a range or two or three or four, rent guns, let her decide. its useless if she doesn't do this and ends up not liking the gun.

mz

Cato
06-10-2009, 8:01 PM

rich
auburn,ca

Of the choices, I'd say get a Glock 19 since it's small, 9mm (controllable), accurate, and as reliable as it gets. They are pretty darn cool too.

RolinThundr
06-10-2009, 8:10 PM
Ain't it funny how you ask about 3 semi-autos and the revolver crowd jumps in. :D

Nothin' against that, in fact it brings up a very good point...are you sure she wants a semi-auto and not a revolver? If she is new to guns, then this question must be resolved with a trip to the range! Once you have the revolver or semi-auto question answered, rent many of whatever type and let her decide, she'll know what works best for her better than any of us will. If she prefers revolvers, I suggest buying a .357 mag. If she doesn't like shooting .357 regularly then she can shoot .38s and have the option of .357 available to her at anytime (should the need arise). For semi-autos I recommend the Sig 239 (father-in-law and sister-in-law both own one), SA XD sub-compact (wife loves it) & service, HK p2000 (and its sub-compact version), and the SA EMP (9mm 1911A1). The HK and SA EMP are kinda pricey, but I have to admit that the EMP feels real nice in the hand (wife even thinks so). Hope this helps.

capatriot1987
06-10-2009, 8:30 PM
i bought my wife S&W 9mm sig about a year ago she loves it thats y i want to get her a semi auto and I want to get her one for personal protection since i am a trucker and not home alot a since of security talk to you later

rich
auburn,ca

West coast
06-10-2009, 8:30 PM

rich
auburn,ca

Smith&Wesson 442 38special if you can find it these days. That what I got my wife.

aplinker
06-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Krink pistol
http://www.armsofamerica.com/images/198_horns_custom_rifles-tac_pistol.jpg

You should let her shoot them all and make the choice herself. Where are you located that we can suggest a local indoor range with rentals?

gbackus
06-10-2009, 10:58 PM
My girlfriend has small hands so the glock never felt right for her, in addition she had a lot of problems with the glock due to limp wristing.

She absolutely loves the M&P though, not a single issue and she has no problem with grip size when using the small insert.

I'd suggest renting a few guns to find what she can point and shoot best with.

eccvets
06-10-2009, 11:04 PM
deagle!

wildhawker
06-10-2009, 11:46 PM
As others have stated, go to a renting range (preferrably more than once) and let her decide. Given a semi-auto and assuming limited experience, 9mm would be the largest caliber I'd recommend. Larger calibers can come later when she wants to, if ever (9mm is fun to shoot, fast to follow up, plenty capable of stopping an intruder and less expensive than other calibers, so nothing wrong with staying with it).

My wife felt that Glocks were too clunky for her smaller hands, and to this day cannot get away from pointing left with one. Some ideas: CZ (SP-01, 75B), Browning Hi-Power, Sig (P226, P229), HK USP/c, Springfield XD9, Beretta 92, 1911 - again, any flavor in 9mm. New, the value of the CZs are hard to beat. This is not to take away from the many Glock options, but others are far more qualified to speak to their characteristics and capabilities.

capatriot1987
06-11-2009, 8:27 AM
I live in auburn about 30 miles east of sacramento what indoor ranges are around my area talk to you ppl later

rich
auburn,ca

Pistolwhipped
06-11-2009, 9:15 AM
What do you mean "you people?".;) Lol

I live in auburn about 30 miles east of sacramento what indoor ranges are around my area talk to you ppl later

rich
auburn,ca

capatriot1987
06-11-2009, 2:18 PM
everyone lol

gdr_11
06-11-2009, 2:29 PM
Ditto on going to an indoor range that rents guns. For you, the closest I know of would be the Gun Room in Elk Grove followed by Guns, Fishing & Stuff in Vacaville. If it is her first time, the trip will go fast knowing that there is something new on the horizon.

My personal recommendation is a 9mm DA auto. No specific recommendations because she needs to handle 5-6 and see how they feel and point for her. Then, go to the range and let her try out the 2 that fit the best.

Good luck!

Oh, the other option is to buy her what you like the best and then adopt it when she ends up not enjoying it.

sorensen440
06-11-2009, 2:32 PM
dont default to a low power rnd just because she is female

Take her to the range let her try a few different calibers then take her to the store and buy whatever feels best in her hand

My gf is more accurate with a 45 then most of the guys shooting at the range

HCz
06-11-2009, 3:11 PM
Try and see which one she likes. If you search with 'wife' for the title only, you can see that many people have similar questions.

cineski
06-11-2009, 3:30 PM
I'll agree with not defaulting to a lesser round. My 5'1 petite girlfriend can shoot .45. She did say she didn't like how loud it was (outdoors with 2 sets of earplugs in). Point is, she's not afraid of it. I just got a TLR-2 specifically for my GF.

dfletcher
06-11-2009, 4:01 PM
I went round & round with a friend who wanted a gun he and his inexperienced wife could use, mostly home defense. Finally settled on a 5" Model 60 in 357 Magnum, loaded with 38 Special +Ps for her to get started and maybe graduate to magnum ammo. They wanted a revolver, I still think it's a pretty good choice.

fairfaxjim
06-11-2009, 4:14 PM
dont default to a low power rnd just because she is female

Take her to the range let her try a few different calibers then take her to the store and buy whatever feels best in her hand

My gf is more accurate with a 45 then most of the guys shooting at the range

:thumbsup: If it is really going to be "her" gun, let "her" choose it!
Besides, she may start with one thing, and if she enjoys shooting, progress to something else. Shooting is great because it is something that you can have initial success at and always continue to work to a higher proficiency if you desire. I think it would serve you right (and all of us who think females need a guy to pick out a gun for them) if she really got into it and ended up with more guns than you.