PDA

View Full Version : Burris 2X-20 scope or FastFireII red dot

CUTTERS DADDY
02-16-2009, 9:06 PM
I want to outfit my Ruger Super Redhawk .454 with a sight and if anyone uses either of the above would appreciate some feedback.

Primary for close range like pig hunting (possibly with dogs) so field of vision is important.

maxicon
02-17-2009, 1:41 PM
Fastfire will definitely have the best FOV and quickest aquisition.

Any magnified scope requires much closer eye alignment with the optic to get a good picture, and that can be tricky if you're in a hurry. With a red dot, as long as you can see the dot, you can hit what you're aiming at.

I've got a S&W 27-2 with a Leupold M8 2x, and it's a lot of fun to shoot, but it's not the quickest alignment, and some people have trouble shooting a magnified scope with both eyes open. It also adds a lot more weight and slows down the handling. For something like pigs, I'd definitely go with the Fastfire.

Now, whether it will hold up to the recoil is another issue. You might search or ask over at www.smith-wessonforum.com, as they put a lot of optics on big-bore revolvers. The Ultradot has a good reputation for holding up over there, but it's a tube style red dot, and you lose some of the speed you get with a Fastfire.

CUTTERS DADDY
02-18-2009, 6:59 PM
Just ordered the Burris FastFire II for the Ruger Super RedHawk:thumbsup:
Now I need to think about getting a holster:confused:

maxicon
02-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Be sure to post pics when it's done!