PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone experienced a broken firing pin on a Mini-14?

TonyNorCal
02-08-2009, 8:23 AM
I've read about broken firing pins on Mini-14s. I've also read that if it breaks Ruger won't send you the part. They require the bolt assembly to be sent back for 'proper fitting'.

I personally haven't experienced this. I'm curious if anyone here has. One thing it seems that people like about the mini is it's rugged, SHTF-esque nature.

I don't have enough rounds through my mini to have broken anything other than my pride at its inaccuracy (just kidding, a little).

CSACANNONEER
02-08-2009, 8:27 AM
Yes, the range/shop I used to work at had a rental mini-14. The firing pin broke and Ruger would not even send a gunsmith a new firing pin. We had to ship the whole rifle to them to be repaired at their convience. For this reason alone, I will not own a mini-14/30.

Fuzzy5
02-08-2009, 8:36 AM
Yes, the range/shop I used to work at had a rental mini-14. The firing pin broke and Ruger would not even send a gunsmith a new firing pin. We had to ship the whole rifle to them to be repaired at their convience. For this reason alone, I will not own a mini-14/30.

Ruger has become like that now? That's sad- I used to get all kinds of parts from them in the mail. It was super easy and sometimes they'd throw in free Ruger stickers and patches.

I know Springfield was like that about replacement parts for the XD. Almost prevented me from buying one but I just like that gun too much and it's not likely to break.

Paul
02-08-2009, 8:42 AM
Brownells sells the part so I've been told.

I have a 1985-ish model that I've run countless hundreds of rounds though without a failure. I run Wolf and other "evil" ammo thru it and it doesn't seem to matter on little bit.

gunrun45
02-08-2009, 8:44 AM
Ruger requests that you send them the entire rifle. They will only send the part to a Ruger certified gunsmith (usually a LE agency armorer).

That being said... there are aftermarket firing pins available through brownells and midway for a decent price.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=21167&st=mini%2014&s=

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=988708

I would strongly recomend that a good gunsmith install it for CYA purposes and long product life.

I own several (I think 5? mini 14's and 2 mini-30's) in various configurations that have digested all tpes of ammo. I use them for LE training, fun and "chores" around the house. I have NEVER broken a firing pin or known anyone who has. That includes several LE agencies that still field them in LARGE numbers in my area.
Still, it never hurts to have a spare ;)
I like this site but...
For the real "dope" on mini's check
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/

They are the authority on mini's.

Hard primers in chi-com military type ammo is supposedly the cause of broken mini firing pins. But, I have shot thousands and thousands of rounds through my oldest mini (182 series) of mixed domestic, import, military, etc... and never had an issue.