PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Aimpoints....?? What is this??

Trendkill
01-31-2009, 1:54 PM
Some dude told me that if an Aimpoint Comp M4 says "Made in Sweden" ...it is illegal to own.

Every legit Comp M4 I've seen say's "Made in Sweden"....so what the hell is this all about???

brando
01-31-2009, 1:58 PM
Sounds like BS. Aimpoint is a Swedish company.

mvpatriot
01-31-2009, 2:00 PM
the serial number designation determines if the item is Mil property

Trendkill
01-31-2009, 2:27 PM
Wouldnt it just say "Property of US Military" or some sh#$ like that??

The guy said he called Aimpoint and they affirmed his claim.

tlillard23
01-31-2009, 2:48 PM
I know a guy that called the other guy about the stuff, he said the first guy was wrong and that the other stuff was what the other guy was talking about even though he had it correct (in reference to the other thing).
Right?

theseacow
01-31-2009, 3:28 PM
I know a guy that called the other guy about the stuff, he said the first guy was wrong and that the other stuff was what the other guy was talking about even though he had it correct (in reference to the other thing).
Right?

Actually, I called the guy that knew a guy who spoke to a guy who knew what the thing was supposed to be and whether or not it was previously or currently illegal. I'm pretty sure the thing is from wherever the guy who knows the other guy said it was from originally, and semi-legal.

Seriously though, there is nothing illegal about owning an Aimpoint made in Sweden.

Trendkill
01-31-2009, 4:19 PM
This is all very funny....but I was in reference to a very real statement made to me in this thread>>>>

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=149397&page=4

Pay attention to post # 33 and # 36........

If this is true....I need to know. If not...this rumor needs to go away.

ibt77
01-31-2009, 5:41 PM
Only the optics that have a red dot are illegal. Send it back to Aimpoint and they will send you the proper light bulb to make it legal

draconianruler
01-31-2009, 8:22 PM
Sounds like BS. Aimpoint is a Swedish company.

Really, I thought it was a Chinese company. Mine says made in China :D

rtlltj
01-31-2009, 8:27 PM
I served time for having an aimpoint. :reddevil:

thempopresense
01-31-2009, 9:06 PM
The US Government sells property from time to time.

Fate
01-31-2009, 9:55 PM
The US Government sells property from time to time.
And dirtbag REMFs steal and resell on the black market too.

Yes, I'm the one who contacted Aimpoint via phone and talked with their head of customer service, Tom Sziede about this issue after I read this thread on ar15.com
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:heV5xyy_97IJ:www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html%3Fb%3D1%26f%3D5%26t%3D762384%26page%3D1 +aimpoint+government+property+site:ar15.com&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Mr. Sziede confirmed to me that ALL Aimpoints marked "Made in Sweden" are property of "Uncle Sugar" (his words) and aren't able to be sold.

Solidmch
01-31-2009, 9:58 PM
All of your ampoints are illegal! Please send them to me and I will get rid of them for you! :43:

Trendkill
01-31-2009, 10:46 PM
From what I understand....any real CompM4 has the "Made in Sweden" markings on them....

So are all of them out there illegally possessed??

Fate
01-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Trendkill, here's a pic lifted from the ar15.com sticky in their optics forum regarding fake Aimpoints. Look at the top image. This is the civilian model that is marked 10336 and then has an individual serial number.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7348/realvsfakebodyej9.jpg

Trendkill
01-31-2009, 11:15 PM
Right.....but neither of those is a Comp M4. Like I said....from what Ive heard and seen...their is no real differance from the civilian or military "COMP M4" the others are supposed to show a difference....right?

Trendkill
01-31-2009, 11:51 PM
And dirtbag REMFs steal and resell on the black market too.

Yes, I'm the one who contacted Aimpoint via phone and talked with their head of customer service, Tom Sziede about this issue after I read this thread on ar15.com
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:heV5xyy_97IJ:www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html%3Fb%3D1%26f%3D5%26t%3D762384%26page%3D1 +aimpoint+government+property+site:ar15.com&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Mr. Sziede confirmed to me that ALL Aimpoints marked "Made in Sweden" are property of "Uncle Sugar" (his words) and aren't able to be sold.

That link shows a thread full of people who didnt believe the OP....

Seesm
02-01-2009, 1:33 AM
Soo confused... So its a swedish companya nd the ones that say made in swedan are bad to have.. what do the good ones say they are made?

Fate
02-01-2009, 7:57 AM
That link shows a thread full of people who didnt believe the OP....
True, which is why I prefaced it with "possible :TFH:" warning. Talk with Tom Sziede tomorrow and get it all worked out.

This morning I realized you have a Comp M4, not a Comp M2 so what I'm telling you about "Made in Sweden" on a Comp M2 = US Gov't Property *might* not apply to the Comp M4s.

Definitely interested in what you hear about the M4s from Aimpoint.

mark2203
02-01-2009, 8:14 AM
Breakin the law breakin the law!

psTUiQzNoxw

Trendkill
02-01-2009, 8:30 AM
True, which is why I prefaced it with "possible :TFH:" warning. Talk with Tom Sziede tomorrow and get it all worked out.

This morning I realized you have a Comp M4, not a Comp M2 so what I'm telling you about "Made in Sweden" on a Comp M2 = US Gov't Property *might* not apply to the Comp M4s.

Definitely interested in what you hear about the M4s from Aimpoint.

Yeah....I think it was a little late for the both of us....lol. Yeah...I have searched high and low for info on this topic and come up fruitless. Im still going to call that guy to verify on the Comp M4's....and I'm going to ask about the others while Im at it.

Trendkill
02-01-2009, 8:34 AM
Breakin the law breakin the law!

psTUiQzNoxw

Thats soooo funny.....I took my son to go see those guys a few months back....he loved it.

p7m8jg
02-01-2009, 8:39 AM
Actually, I called the guy that knew a guy who spoke to a guy who knew what the thing was supposed to be and whether or not it was previously or currently illegal. I'm pretty sure the thing is from wherever the guy who knows the other guy said it was from originally, and semi-legal.

Seriously though, there is nothing illegal about owning an Aimpoint made in Sweden.

:King:

thempopresense
02-05-2009, 1:22 PM
I'd like to see some law in reference to this, or perhaps a copy of the contract stating this. Also, does that mean anyone in any other part of the world buys an Aimpoint marked "Made in Sweden", it's US property? Or since it's marked that way, it's only sold in the US?

:TFH: Maybe the Swedish are planning to invade the USA and don't want us to have better optics! :TFH:

maxicon
02-06-2009, 9:18 AM
Based on my read of these threads, it's not so much a law or contractual issue as this:

The military contract Aimpoint Comp M2s are marked "Made In Sweden", while the civilian versions have the 10336 model number marking.

This means that the "Made In Sweden" marked Aimpoints were originally made under government contract, and increases the chance that it could be stolen government property.

Now, the government sells off it's old property on a regular basis - there are many rifles and pistols marked "US Property" or similar that are not stolen, just surplused.

Not only that, Aimpoint could easily have sold off overruns with the MIS markings, they could be sales samples, whatever.

So, if it's marked 10336, the odds are against it being stolen government property. If it's marked "Made In Sweden", there are higher chances it's stolen government property, but this is not clear proof or evidence. Even calling Aimpoint won't be proof, as I doubt the US sends them a memo every time they surplus out Aimpoints. It sounds like they do have a list of Aimpoints reported as stolen, which would make sense, in case they get sent back for service, so that would be a pretty strong indication if it were on that list.

Seems like it's a good thing to be aware of to keep from accidentally stepping in something unpleasant.

Any corrections to my assumptions are welcome - I'm not an expert on this!

DisgruntledReaper
02-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I think this is kind of BS...what is to keep a person from buying an AimPoint at a show,store,private party and getting into trouble simply because they are not aware of this 'marking issue'? I for one would EXPECT my sight made by a swedish company to 'made in sweden ' SOMEWHERE on it and not just some 10336....WHAT if it says made in sweden AND has 10336 on it...then what.

ALSO- I think if someone you do not know is fingering your rifle, you have bigger issues to deal with........or will some power hungry JBT have a note in his pocket on this and try to bust you on it?

Gee i guess we cannot have the same milspec scopes on our rifles that the military uses and are sold to the civies BY the companies that make them..all due to a marking. I say they should be STAMPED 'US Prop" at least then it could be noticed.

Sorry rant off-just sems it comes down to semantics......