PDA

View Full Version : I think that bullet button 10 rd mags might be illegal...

AlexBreya
01-13-2009, 1:16 PM
I may be wrong, but doesn't the law say that you can only have 10 rounds in a fixed mag? if you have 10 in the mag itself, and 1 in the chamber, then once you put the mag in, it would be a gun capable of holding 11 rounds? i know it wouldn't apply to a gun that uses removable mags, but since the bullet button makes it a fixed mag, then wouldn't it be illegal? i'm sure there's some technicality that says I'm wrong, but I'm just wondering if I should start buying 9 round mags.

Thanks to anyone who can inform me.

AdamM
01-13-2009, 1:18 PM
The FEEDING DEVICE still only holds 10

jgraham15
01-13-2009, 1:20 PM
I think you are a little too paranoid!!!!

Good luck finding 9 round mags. :D

USN CHIEF
01-13-2009, 1:21 PM
Alex, welcome to Cal Guns. Do some more research on the this site and the you will see the light at the end of the tunnel. Your topic has been discussed several hundred times.

Yes, it is legal to have a 10 round mag.

USN CHIEF
01-13-2009, 1:21 PM

Well, he can resort to the 5 round mags that they sell for hunting. LOL.

jgraham15
01-13-2009, 1:22 PM
I will buy all your 10 round mags off of you though!!!! :thumbsup:

jgraham15
01-13-2009, 1:23 PM
Well, he can resort to the 5 round mags that they sell for hunting. LOL.

Hah! That's very true! I didn't think about the 5 round mags.

Toolfreak66
01-13-2009, 1:24 PM
The law states a 10 round fixed magazine. This means just that. Your gun can always have 1 chambered. Just like for handguns, 10 rounds magazine + 1 in the chamber.

AdamM
01-13-2009, 1:25 PM
Hah! That's very true! I didn't think about the 5 round mags.

Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang. Push bullet tip into button, pull out, reload (click, click, click, click, click). Now repeat :D

AlexBreya
01-13-2009, 1:27 PM
Alex, welcome to Cal Guns. Do some more research on the this site and the you will see the light at the end of the tunnel. Your topic has been discussed several hundred times.

Yes, it is legal to have a 10 round mag.

Thanks, I have looked over the forums, and do have 10 round mags, but i just don't want to get screwed over by some cop at the range for having an gun that hold 11 rounds. I just figured that i should clear it up.

I also thought that if I turned out to be right, and saved all of CA, I would be a hero :D

and to jgraham, they actually have 9 round mags at cheaperthandirt :)

CSACANNONEER
01-13-2009, 1:29 PM

Actually, I believe that Colt used to make nine round mags for certain types of compititions. Or, at least, I know that I have seen Colt mags that were pinned to hold only nine rounds.

jgraham15
01-13-2009, 1:32 PM
Thanks, I have looked over the forums, and do have 10 round mags, but i just don't want to get screwed over by some cop at the range for having an gun that hold 11 rounds. I just figured that i should clear it up.

I also thought that if I turned out to be right, and saved all of CA, I would be a hero :D

and to jgraham, they actually have 9 round mags at cheaperthandirt :)

Do they really sell 9 round mags? Oh well shows you what I know!!! ;)

When I built my first AR in early 2007 most of the time I was the only one at the range shooting an AR and I was paranoid as all hell. Now everybody is shooting them at the range so the cops would have to screw with a whole bunch of people besides me so I don't worry about it anymore.

AlexBreya
01-13-2009, 1:39 PM
Do they really sell 9 round mags? Oh well shows you what I know!!! ;)

When I built my first AR in early 2007 most of the time I was the only one at the range shooting an AR and I was paranoid as all hell. Now everybody is shooting them at the range so the cops would have to screw with a whole bunch of people besides me so I don't worry about it anymore.

Thats how I feel now. I haven't taken it to the range yet (i've only shot it at my house) so I'm worried about "technicality." I do remember a year or so ago, I went to the range, and there were 2 people with ARs, and me and everyone else thought they must be cops. :) Now that I have one, I just worried about people who don't.

jgraham15
01-13-2009, 1:45 PM
Thats how I feel now. I haven't taken it to the range yet (i've only shot it at my house) so I'm worried about "technicality." I do remember a year or so ago, I went to the range, and there were 2 people with ARs, and me and everyone else thought they must be cops. :) Now that I have one, I just worried about people who don't.

Just make sure you don't do anything stupid to draw attention to yourself (like shooting naked!) and you will be fine. There are so many people with OLL's now I doubt you will have any issues.

AlexBreya
01-13-2009, 1:47 PM
Just make sure you don't do anything stupid to draw attention to yourself (like shooting naked!) and you will be fine. There are so many people with OLL's now I doubt you will have any issues.

That will be a problem, since i'm a nudist! :D Just kidding, but how awkward would that be?

jgraham15
01-13-2009, 1:51 PM
At the range I go to I was shooting next to some off duty LAPD guys and they let me shoot the AR's they had and I let them shoot mine! After that I felt way better about the whole thing!!! They just gave me the advice I just gave you. "Just don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine". They actually got quite a kick out of seeing my girlfiend shoot the AR I built for her prone at the 600 yard steel targets. Damn, now she shoots better than me! :confused:

hoffmang
01-13-2009, 1:57 PM
The PC states:
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

You'll note that it is the "fixed magazine" that has the "capacity to accept more than 10 rounds," not the centerfire rifle that has a capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

-Gene

AlexBreya
01-13-2009, 1:59 PM
At the range I go to I was shooting next to some off duty LAPD guys and they let me shoot the AR's they had and I let them shoot mine! After that I felt way better about the whole thing!!! They just gave me the advice I just gave you. "Just don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine". They actually got quite a kick out of seeing my girlfiend shoot the AR I built for her prone at the 600 yard steel targets. Damn, now she shoots better than me! :confused:

The fact that a cop shot your gun is the official "good to go" stamp in my book! unlike you, i don't get to shoot at 600 yards. :( all the ranges around here are only 100 yards. is this 600 yard range by any chance near the bay area?

jgraham15
01-13-2009, 2:04 PM
The fact that a cop shot your gun is the official "good to go" stamp in my book! unlike you, i don't get to shoot at 600 yards. :( all the ranges around here are only 100 yards. is this 600 yard range by any chance near the bay area?

No sorry it is Angeles Ranges in So. Cal.

Here is a couple pic's of the range!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh175/jg15photo/gun%20stuff/picturesfrombeachandrange088.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh175/jg15photo/gun%20stuff/picturesfrombeachandrange089.jpg

aplinker
01-13-2009, 2:05 PM
LOL

jgraham15
01-13-2009, 2:06 PM
The fact that a cop shot your gun is the official "good to go" stamp in my book!

It was cool but alot of cops dont know much about OLL's so you still need to be carefull!

vf111
01-13-2009, 2:08 PM
Colt's Match Target AR rifles from the mid-90's included two 8-round mags. I believe the old Clinton AW ban was the motivation behind them although I don't know why 8-rounds...

Monticore
01-13-2009, 3:31 PM
That will be a problem, since i'm a nudist! :D Just kidding, but how awkward would that be?

Two words:
Hot Brass

Next word:
OUCH

jgraham15
01-13-2009, 3:39 PM

You definitely wouldn't want to be bending over to pick up your brass with anybody in the area shooting a mini-14!

This is what my mini-14 does with spent brass

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh175/jg15photo/gun%20stuff/IMG_1457.jpg

sb_pete
01-13-2009, 4:58 PM

C-Products 10/20 mag with unmodified Magpul follower holds nine :rolleyes:;)

sb_pete
01-13-2009, 5:00 PM
Colt's Match Target AR rifles from the mid-90's included two 8-round mags. I believe the old Clinton AW ban was the motivation behind them although I don't know why 8-rounds...

Maybe Highpower rule for loading two mags; one with 8 rounds, one with two. Supposed to create a parity between guys shooting Garands (8 round en bloc clip) and guys shooting M1A's and AR's

AlexBreya
01-13-2009, 7:38 PM
You definitely wouldn't want to be bending over to pick up your brass with anybody in the area shooting a mini-14!

This is what my mini-14 does with spent brass

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh175/jg15photo/gun%20stuff/IMG_1457.jpg

HAHAHA!!! that would be hilarious if that happened to a nudist at a shooting range!

AlexBreya
01-13-2009, 7:43 PM
No sorry it is Angeles Ranges in So. Cal.

Here is a couple pic's of the range!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh175/jg15photo/gun%20stuff/picturesfrombeachandrange088.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh175/jg15photo/gun%20stuff/picturesfrombeachandrange089.jpg

Those pictures make me jealous. At my house, i have a down hill 130 yard range, and the actual range is only 100 yards. even a 200 yard range would make me jump with joy. i would love to shoot a .22lr tracer at 600 yards! or even a 9mm tracer. maybe some day, they will tear down EPA and make a shooting range. :)

Seesm
01-13-2009, 7:48 PM

Huuh WEIRD... I am a buddist nudist how random is THAT? JK

That big range looks waay cool...

01-13-2009, 8:20 PM
Actually, I believe that Colt used to make nine round mags for certain types of compititions. Or, at least, I know that I have seen Colt mags that were pinned to hold only nine rounds.

I have a couple of those. They actually came with my Colt HBAR I bought back in 94.

Jicko
01-13-2009, 9:47 PM
I may be wrong, but doesn't the law say that you can only have 10 rounds in a fixed mag? if you have 10 in the mag itself, and 1 in the chamber, then once you put the mag in, it would be a gun capable of holding 11 rounds? i know it wouldn't apply to a gun that uses removable mags, but since the bullet button makes it a fixed mag, then wouldn't it be illegal? i'm sure there's some technicality that says I'm wrong, but I'm just wondering if I should start buying 9 round mags.

Thanks to anyone who can inform me.

Go read the actual text of the law. (If it is not your 1st time, then, read it again)

Mississippi
01-13-2009, 9:56 PM
Hey! If I tape two mags together does that make one mag that holds twenty rounds? LOL JK