PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor range rules and etiquitte

SanSacto
01-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I have been to indoor shooting ranges many times, however still have not taken my rifles to shoot outdoors. I was thinking about going to South Bay Rod & Gun Club. I must say this next question sounds stupid just saying it, but forgive me I am still a newb. How do you set your targets at an outdoor range such as SBRGC? Does the range officer call a cease fire for people to change their targets? Are you supposed to pick up your brass? Because I want to. Besides practicing gun safety, what are some other general rules at an outdoor range that are different from an indoor range?

rayra
01-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Regulated outdoor ranges usually have an RSO that controls the periodicity of the ceasefires, so folks can go out and shuffle targets.
During these cease fires it is usually verbotten to stand near or touch any firearms. There's usually a line on teh ground or some sort of clear demarcation you are supposed to stay behind, to ensure no negilgent discharges can happen during a ceasefire.
There are also many variations of rules for whether you can transfer your range gear, rifle cases etc to the bench line duing a ceasefire. Many do not allow this.
And when the range is declared hot, be courteous and check that your immediate neighbors have their ears and eyes on before you fire that first shot off.

Be aware of the fall of your brass and try not to shower it all over your neighbor on the line.

If there are large number of lanes, try not to set up right next to the only other person there. Most shooters get annoyed by this, especially as most that you'll find there at an empty time of day or week are there for that very reason. Acknowledge each other, go about your business.

Be VERY aware of sweeping anyone around you with your weapon. Particularly in teh cases of bringing other inexperienced folks with you. If you're bringing a bunch of noobs with you it's really not a good idea to have more than one hot weapon at a time. At least until all your guests have demonstrated enough self-awareness and self-restraint that you don't have to worry about them doing something stupid. And NO GRAB-*** ON THE FIRING LINE.

Every range has their own unique set of rules. Find out what they are BEFORE you leave the check-in and before you go to the line. Follow them.

Every range usually has a brass scavenger hovering around. Be sure to warn them off when you are ready to shoot, tell them plainly you'll be collecting your own brass, elsewise they'll literally be under your feet trying to grab every round.

Lastly, most ranges seem to have at least one nosy know-it-all or ******* RSO. Be prepared to fend them off. Be right about what you say or do, and in teh case of the RSO its usually a no-win, but be prepared to stand your ground and set limits on their overreaching behaviour, or you'll have a miserable experience.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure some other folks can think some something else.

rulas41
01-12-2009, 10:51 PM
smile and say hi to every one around you cuz you can learn some thing new from those wiser and make friends

USN CHIEF
01-12-2009, 10:56 PM
SBRGC is the nicest range that I have seen here in SD. Your best bet is to get the membership instead of the $20 bucks daily fee.

The RO will call a cease every about once an hour or less, depending on the amount of people there. You are allowed to pick up your own brass. Have fun.

SanSacto
01-12-2009, 11:28 PM
.....That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure some other folks can think some something else.

Thanks, I have a much clearer idea of what to expect. Everything sounds good! How do you set up your targets? You have to set up enough to shoot for an hour or so, do you guys use paper targets? Bring your own shooting target stand? Will a Honda Accord make it to SBRGC?

USN CHIEF
01-12-2009, 11:34 PM
SBRGC will provide you the targets. You can bring paper targets too. This is what SBRGC looks like. This is the Rifle Range. And yes, A honda accord will make there with no problems.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii260/USNMAC/100_1169.jpg

SanSacto
01-12-2009, 11:37 PM
SBRGC will provide you the targets. You can bring paper targets too. This is what SBRGC looks like. This is the Rifle Range. And yes, A honda accord will make there with no problems.

That is sweet....I can't wait!

randy
01-13-2009, 12:00 AM
Leave your guns in the car. Ask the people running the range what their rules are or do they have something you can read. The is the way to start off.

Nobody expects you to know the rules but they do expect you to be smart enough to ask. Which you are, do it the first time at any range.

nobs11
01-13-2009, 12:47 AM
Every range usually has a brass scavenger hovering around. Be sure to warn them off when you are ready to shoot, tell them plainly you'll be collecting your own brass, elsewise they'll literally be under your feet trying to grab every round.

Lastly, most ranges seem to have at least one nosy know-it-all or ******* RSO. Be prepared to fend them off. Be right about what you say or do, and in teh case of the RSO its usually a no-win, but be prepared to stand your ground and set limits on their overreaching behaviour, or you'll have a miserable experience.

+1.

Also, be very mindful of ceasefires and make sure that you can control the parties you bring to a range, otherwise leave them at home.

If a cease fire is agreed upon and a RO is not around, make sure that someone is there to take the initiative in ensuring safety, otherwise take it yourself (don't do this until you are well known there), and make sure everyone is behind the line when the range is hot again. But don't be a jerk. Be respectful towards other shooters. Don't give our unsolicited advice. If you think people are behaving in an unsafe manner, alert the RO.

About brass scavengers. Police your own brass and make sure that if you find another person's brass, you give it back to him. It is good manners to not steal another person's property.