PDA

View Full Version : Handgun sale & shipping protocol

KimoBBZ
12-29-2008, 1:52 PM
So... I've done a few ppt's and they went just fine: Meet, inspect, exchange money, FFL takes it from there.

I've stayed away from shipping because I've always thought the process has too many potential pitfalls, additional costs and probably my own laziness. I'm curious now though... what IS the normal etiquette?

Ship myself or through an FFL to the receiving FFL when funds are received? Best method of payment. Inspection periods, etc.

NiteQwill
12-29-2008, 2:01 PM
Get a copy of the FFL you're shipping to first. Only ship to that address. Ship handguns through UPS and FedEx next-day, declare it to the courier, and you're good to go. Do not use USPS to ship handguns.

You can also ship FFL-to-FFL for possibly a cheaper price.

nickey
12-29-2008, 4:11 PM
So what is the protocol? Do people do things like other auctions, get to know the buyer, then pay, then get the gun?

Also, can a PPT be done where 1 individual lives in one state say Cali and the other person in Washington. Or, do both people have to live in the same state.

Those with the experience - an answer is appreciated, thanks.

NiteQwill
12-29-2008, 5:19 PM
Yes, pay first then get the gun. A PPT does not have to be between two people in the same state. I've bought several guns from out of state.

KimoBBZ
12-29-2008, 5:19 PM
Get a copy of the FFL you're shipping to first. Only ship to that address. You can also ship FFL-to-FFL for possibly a cheaper price.

So will it look something like:

1. Communicate to buyer (as best can be done, via voice & e-mail) condition of piece, finalize price, payment method, fees and FFL/s to be involved. And other deatils like inspection period, return policy, etc.

2. Collect & verify payment (method determines how: electronic, USPS/Bank MO, etc.)

3. Ship myself (if receiving FFL accepts shipments from individuals) or have my FFL ship (for a fee of course).

4. Follow up with FFL & buyer to verify shipment, obtain copy of dros for records.

Must be some holes in there... feel free to fill in, what's missing?

How can I be sure that the receiving FFL is legit? I guess if I have the payment in hand the risk is lower, am I being paranoid? As a buyer, it's such a leap of faith... I recall my 1st internet purchase, I was sweating bullets until my FFL received it - and that was done on a credit card - if I had sent cash (money order, casher's check, etc.) I'd've been a mess.

joaoalegre
12-29-2008, 5:57 PM
Yes, pay first then get the gun. A PPT does not have to be between two people in the same state. I've bought several guns from out of state.

What is the protocol in this situation? PPT buying from out-of-state seller, assuming payment for the gun is resolved before delivery?
(1) Does the Seller ships to receiving FFL? or
(2) Seller and Buyer walks into an FFL shop to DROS transaction?

What about handguns and the "Safe Handgun Roster" ?

Jeremi

NiteQwill
12-29-2008, 6:04 PM
How can I be sure that the receiving FFL is legit? I guess if I have the payment in hand the risk is lower, am I being paranoid? As a buyer, it's such a leap of faith... I recall my 1st internet purchase, I was sweating bullets until my FFL received it - and that was done on a credit card - if I had sent cash (money order, casher's check, etc.) I'd've been a mess.

Get a copy of the FFL and only ship to that address ONLY. That covers your end. And yes, get payment first.

Edit: Also, insure your handgun up to or over the value, too. Of course, the buyer pays all shipping fees and any other fees associated with the transaction.

What is the protocol in this situation? PPT buying from out-of-state seller, assuming payment for the gun is resolved before delivery?
(1) Does the Seller ships to receiving FFL? or
(2) Seller and Buyer walks into an FFL shop to DROS transaction?

What about handguns and the "Safe Handgun Roster" ?

Jeremi

Are you the buyer? If so, yes, the transaction must go through a receiving FFL. If the person is local, you still must go through an FFL to buy the gun.

If you're buying out of state, the handgun must be on the safe handgun roster.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=81127

KimoBBZ
12-29-2008, 6:23 PM
Thanks NiteQwill... I have a shipping request on a piece I have posted in the Marketplace, so I may be testing this out soon!

RP1911
12-29-2008, 7:01 PM
You can ask for copy of the DROS. Since it is a DROS for the buyer only, neither the buyer or dealer are obligated to give you a copy. The copy of the FFL that you have serves as your disposition paperwork plus the email from UPS/FedEx that they delivered it (make sure you provide an email address to get both shipping and delivery confirmation emails).

PM me if you need more info.

R

RP1911
12-29-2008, 7:03 PM
Also, you can verify the FFL through BATFE check system, With the copy of the FFl, you should also have the CFD number (most provide this).

When you ship, ship to the premises address not the mailing address

nickey
01-06-2009, 4:43 PM
If out of state PPT's can be done, how about the CA Safe Gun Roster? Ho have you done these in the past?

Rudolf the Red
01-06-2009, 7:11 PM
FFL's are able to ship via USPS. I would bet you could pay an FFL to ship a handgun cheaper than the $50+ to ship via FedEx or UPS overnight services.

Hell, I just use Priority Mail and insurance w/ Delivery Confirmation. Under $20.

NiteQwill
01-06-2009, 7:35 PM
FFL's are able to ship via USPS. I would bet you could pay an FFL to ship a handgun cheaper than the $50+ to ship via FedEx or UPS overnight services.

Hell, I just use Priority Mail and insurance w/ Delivery Confirmation. Under $20.

+1 That's what I have done.