PDA

View Full Version : Local classified ads

dodgerfan175
12-24-2008, 1:32 PM
Is posting a handgun for sale in your local paper's classified ads illegal in California? I tried to the other day and was told they couldn't do it, when I asked if it was illegal or if it was their policy they couldn't give me an answer.

Titans
12-24-2008, 3:19 PM
Not sure but it sounds like a policy issue.

zinfull
12-24-2008, 3:29 PM
It is a policy of the papers. In my paper they have the policy as the first thing of sporting goods. They will post for a shop but not private parties.

Jerry

sorensen440
12-24-2008, 3:32 PM
Its legal but you would be better off selling it in the calguns marketplace

Warhawk014
12-24-2008, 6:05 PM

yeah that

Justin562
12-24-2008, 7:05 PM
I had a friend once list pit bulls puppies for sale in the local paper.
He had like ten calls a day, for about a month all by ghetto lo-lives. He got a call from a guy wanting to buy all the pups... for what huh? Bad intensions I'm sure. Anyway you'll get the same results selling it that way.;)

Edit/ Whoops...well Maybe not the same results...I like Kern

Grumpyoldretiredcop
12-24-2008, 7:14 PM
My local paper gives their policy right up front - no private firearms ads.

Seeing as they're called the Press-Democrat, I wouldn't give them my advertising money anyway :)

EBR Works
12-24-2008, 8:10 PM
Is posting a handgun for sale in your local paper's classified ads illegal in California? I tried to the other day and was told they couldn't do it, when I asked if it was illegal or if it was their policy they couldn't give me an answer.

What are you wanting to sell??

Mike's Custom
12-24-2008, 8:16 PM
The Bakersfield Californian will let private parties sell long guns in the paper but for hand guns you must provide a FFL before they will list it. So only FFL dealers may sell hand guns in that paper.

On another note, if you decide to sell guns in the paper, back in the 90s the CA DOJ would answer some of those ads. Some of those sellers got in trouble for not using a FFL for the transfer and in some cases the buyers were offered other guns including hand guns with no transfers. Needless to say CA DOJ made some arrests. I would bet that they still do that from time to time but you see fewer and fewer guns for sale in the papers.

stormy_clothing
12-24-2008, 8:28 PM
I've used gun broker with great success 3x so far. I would'nt sell stuff in cali through the newspaper just because of thieving low life's. Also all firearms and cash money transfers should occur inside an ffl transfer place just to be sure everything is kosher.

sorensen440
12-24-2008, 8:41 PM
What are you wanting to sell??
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=140374

goathead
12-24-2008, 8:51 PM

1++ for sure

dodgerfan175
12-25-2008, 3:30 PM
After reading some of your posts I'm glad I wasn't able to post it on the paper. You guys are right it's safer just posting on this forum or other sites like gunbroker.