PDA

View Full Version : Concealed weapon permit

xl-one
12-20-2008, 8:47 PM
How hard is it to obtain and what are the requirements? San Diego county...thanks

biscuitninja
12-20-2008, 9:28 PM
Impossible....

OC used to be the last bastion, but now unless yoxu have one, its impossible.
-bix

grammaton76
12-20-2008, 9:59 PM
SD county used to be "difficult". It became "impossible" kind of recently, when whatsisname changed his mind and decided that he was going to start refusing renewals for a lot of SD county permit holders.

Not sure when this started coming about, but I think it was within the past 2 years. I know when I first started getting into handguns in 2001 the folks at the range said it was difficult but not out of the question for average citizens of good moral character. However, it's adjusted downward a lot over the last couple of years. I know lawyers who are worried about getting their renewals.

Gp100
12-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Actually its very easy,make a campaign contribution of $10,000 dollars
to your local county sheriff,then he will issue you a permit.

Jicko
12-20-2008, 10:08 PM
You need a "very good cause".... along the line of having to carry a "huge amount of cash"($10,000+) on you, like daily..... if you have a job like that... then...

WokMaster1
12-20-2008, 10:20 PM
You need a "very good cause".... along the line of having to carry a "huge amount of cash"($10,000+) on you, like daily..... if you have a job like that... then...

does one have to proof to the Sheriff that you actually carry that much cash on you?

dreyna14
12-20-2008, 10:21 PM
I think you have a better chance of seeing bigfoot get kidnapped by a UFO.

grammaton76
12-20-2008, 10:22 PM

I heard it'd been upped to $30k for valuables, and you had to have a good reason why you can't hire an armored car company or something to do it for you.

Furthermore, Kolander now adds conditions to SD CCW's, such that your permit is valid only when you're actually involved in the activities which the permit was issued for.

On the other hand, for lawyers, personal protection from irate clients seems to still be valid grounds.

NiteQwill
12-20-2008, 11:16 PM
does one have to proof to the Sheriff that you actually carry that much cash on you?
Yes, they ask for documentation (bank statements, witness statements, etc.).

pullnshoot25
12-20-2008, 11:21 PM
That is lamer than even Tiny Tim...

Sorry, had to make a lame Christmas joke.

BTW, totally off-topic but I wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas! :)

Gp100
12-20-2008, 11:48 PM
That is lamer than even Tiny Tim...

Sorry, had to make a lame Christmas joke.

BTW, totally off-topic but I wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas! :)Pullnshoot25,can you really open carry a unloaded pistol in a holster with ammo separate in california??!!!!

Librarian
12-21-2008, 12:07 AM
Pullnshoot25,can you really open carry a unloaded pistol in a holster with ammo separate in california??!!!!

Yes.

It's called Unloaded Open Carry. It has the one drawback that it is as yet uncommon; this leads to citizens sometimes making un-needed 'man with a gun' calls to police, and some police, not being familiar with the practice, are not properly trained.

That lack of training can lead to misunderstandings.

Misunderstandings can be difficult and expensive to resolve.

Miltiades
12-21-2008, 4:02 AM
Your best bet for a San Diego CCW is to support Jay LaSuer for Sheriff:

Jay LaSuer for Sheriff website (http://www.sheriffjay.org/)

The incumbent Kollender is said to have Alzheimer's disease and be close to resignation for health reasons. If so, there will be a special election to fill the position. LaSuer, who has excellent credentials in law enforcement, is preparing to run for sheriff. One of his campaign promises is to allow "self defense" as reasonable cause for a San Diego CCW permit.

He can use campaign contributions and your votes.

MadMex
12-21-2008, 5:48 AM
Try:

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/

A good resource, however it can be a bit cliquish and Orange County centric at times.

JTROKS
12-21-2008, 5:58 AM
On the other hand, for lawyers, personal protection from irate clients seems to still be valid grounds.

See that? It's not impossible to get a CCW in SD county. All you got to do is pass the bar and be a lawyer. Who says you have to take clients.

Scorpiusdeus
12-21-2008, 6:16 AM

Yes, the best way is to just hand it to him for his campaign. :D

Steve-O
12-21-2008, 8:45 AM
SD county used to be "difficult". It became "impossible" kind of recently, when whatsisname changed his mind and decided that he was going to start refusing renewals for a lot of SD county permit holders.

This has happened to a lesser degree in Tuolumne County as well (just north of Yosemite for a lot of you SoCal guys :D). Traditionally, it was very easy to obtain a CCW. At the last every other year required meeting/"training", one of the captains from the SO explained that the new sheriff wanted to tighten up the restrictions for obtaining a CCW. Current permit holders will likely retain their CCW.

nooner
12-21-2008, 12:09 PM
I heard it'd been upped to $30k for valuables
Glad to hear the government thinks my life is worth less than 30 grand.:(

tango-52
12-21-2008, 12:45 PM
The incumbent Kollender is said to have Alzheimer's disease and be close to resignation for health reasons. If so, there will be a special election to fill the position.

No, there won't. Kolender's handlers are waiting until it is closer to the regular election (figure this spring to summer) then he will retire and the Board of Supervisors will appoint Kolender's hand picked guy (who is actually running the department now, and is anti-CCW). Then in 2010 there will effectively be an incumbent that LaSuer will be running against. He will need all of our help to win!

bubbapug1
12-21-2008, 10:52 PM
every client becomes irrate...and for good reasons....

On the other hand, for lawyers, personal protection from irate clients seems to still be valid grounds.[/QUOTE]

slick_711
12-22-2008, 1:22 AM
How hard is it to obtain and what are the requirements? San Diego county...thanks

Just the fact that you had to ask means you don't qualify in the eyes of the issuing authority. :rolleyes:

-bix

OC the last bastion? You do know that 400 miles of farmland north of the grapevine is part of CA right? They issue CCWs in some of those counties.

And if your response is going to be "but he asked about San Diego..." think again, OC isn't any more relevant to CCW issuance in San Diego than San Francisco is... :D

REDHORSE
12-22-2008, 1:42 AM
Another option is to rent a room/apt in a more friendly CCW county (San Bernardino, Kern, etc..). Ideally in an unincorporated area, so you only need to deal with the Sheriff's Dept.

Establish a 2nd residency, get some utilities under your name, get to know the neighbors, change drivers license to the address, etc...

I don't know if this will pass muster...

biscuitninja
12-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Just the fact that you had to ask means you don't qualify in the eyes of the issuing authority. :rolleyes:

OC the last bastion? You do know that 400 miles of farmland north of the grapevine is part of CA right? They issue CCWs in some of those counties.

And if your response is going to be "but he asked about San Diego..." think again, OC isn't any more relevant to CCW issuance in San Diego than San Francisco is... :D

of course you can get a ccw in Nowhere-ville, its not relevant unless you want to live there. Lets make the wild assumption that he wants it for protection in a modern county like San Diego, then answer to his original question is still no.

-bix

BlackonBlack
12-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Criminals carry guns every day but we can't. Makes total sense to me. What bull****

Librarian
12-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Another option is to rent a room/apt in a more friendly CCW county (San Bernardino, Kern, etc..). Ideally in an unincorporated area, so you only need to deal with the Sheriff's Dept.

Establish a 2nd residency, get some utilities under your name, get to know the neighbors, change drivers license to the address, etc...

I don't know if this will pass muster...

Generally it will not - it's been tried.

ar15barrels
12-22-2008, 1:45 PM
You do know that 400 miles of farmland north of the grapevine is part of CA right?

Is that where all the cheese comes from?

andrewj
12-22-2008, 1:46 PM
Actually its very easy,make a campaign contribution of $10,000 dollars
to your local county sheriff,then he will issue you a permit.

You consider that easy? :eek:

Jicko
12-22-2008, 2:02 PM
Impossible....

-bix

See that? It's not impossible to get a CCW in SD county. All you got to do is pass the bar and be a lawyer.

Actually, forgotten about that.... the "being a lawyer" cause is still one of the easiest.... more so than the "need to carry the cash" one....

ar15barrels
12-22-2008, 2:09 PM

Sure.
Give me $10,000 and I'll show you how easy it is...

gravedigger
12-22-2008, 2:13 PM
Try:

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/

A good resource, however it can be a bit cliquish and Orange County centric at times.

Ya THINK?!? :D

Brooke
12-22-2008, 4:25 PM
Criminals carry guns every day but we can't.

No, they can't, legally. They simply *do*, as could any of us willing to face possible consequences.

N6ATF
12-22-2008, 5:04 PM

Easier than the establishing a 2nd residence thing.

tazmanian devil dog
12-22-2008, 5:54 PM
It is about as likely as me having a one night stand with Angelina Jolie.

NOT GOING TO EVER EVER EVER happen.

tazmanian devil dog
12-22-2008, 5:55 PM
No, they can't, legally. They simply *do*, as could any of us willing to face possible consequences.

Amen to that brother. You gotta do what you gotta do.

nooner
12-22-2008, 7:45 PM
No, they can't, legally.No kidding. I knew what he meant. Are you sure you didn't too?

They simply *do*, as could any of us willing to face possible consequences.And that's the point. There are those ready, willing and able to break the law to take your life and property and the law abiding are not allowed to LEGALLY carry for defense against these animals.

huna koa
12-23-2008, 4:24 AM
who carry legally; in some counties it's easy, and in others quite difficult, depends on the sheriff. Yes, you have to meet the Sheriff's Department interpretation of 'good cause' which varies from county to county in the state of California. It is not impossible to get a CCW permit; it depends on your circumstances and how you integrate them into their views of your written 'good cause' statement. Basic information can be found here ... http://www.occcws.com/ ... Should you embark on this difficult journey, be aware of all the paperwork that may be required, along with a lot of patience that will be needed, and that your morale character will be scrutinzed and questioned. Head games should be left at home in your gun safe, just the truth and facts to the best of your knowledge, in writing, and in your demeanor as you speak in during your interview.

ontmark
12-23-2008, 5:47 AM
See

http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/counties/countiesmap.html

tango-52
12-23-2008, 7:00 AM
See

http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/counties/countiesmap.html

That map is old and out of date. Try this one instead:

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/county-faq/7158-county-map-california-ccw-issuance.html

We keep it current with info from members in each county.

huna koa
12-23-2008, 8:07 AM

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/county-faq/7158-county-map-california-ccw-issuance.html

...is the place to go for info; look for 'ccwi'; has more experience on this subject than most anyone.

cannon
12-23-2008, 2:45 PM
of course you can get a ccw in Nowhere-ville, its not relevant unless you want to live there. Lets make the wild assumption that he wants it for protection in a modern county like San Diego, then answer to his original question is still no.

-bix

A CCW issued in any County is valid State wide.

ontmark
12-23-2008, 5:44 PM

Thank You

Brooke
12-23-2008, 8:41 PM
And that's the point. There are those ready, willing and able to break the law to take your life and property and the law abiding are not allowed to LEGALLY carry for defense against these animals.

I wasn't advocating for the current system, just poointing out the obvious ...