PDA

View Full Version : HK USP question

jojo760
12-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Years ago, I bought an HK USP 40. When using that handgun, if I slammed in the magazine hard enough, the gun would bring the slide forward and chamber the first round. I believe this is where the universal self loading pistol name was born. I sold that gun about 5 years ago and today picked up my second HK USP, this time a 45 cal. When I slam in the mag this time, with a snap cap, nothing happens with the slide. The safety and decocker behave the way I remember. The main difference with this one, is there is some kind of key that comes with the gun for some internal lock that wasn't on previous models. Is the something wrong with my handgun, or did HK change the design?

Sniper3142
12-20-2008, 3:42 PM
Nothing major has changed in the design.

It is a feature that HK really doesn't advertise and it work more on some HK pistols than others.

Some of mine do it while others don't.

They all still shoot and function great.

HKROB
12-20-2008, 3:50 PM
Both of my USPs do it 9mm & 45 auto.

bandogg
12-20-2008, 4:52 PM
IIRC H&K did change the angle on the slide lock. So it doesn't close automatically .:) Like in 95-96

bandogg
12-20-2008, 5:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bore View Post
This is what I have in my trivia folder:
Here are some of the dates

USP
1993 Original USP9 and .40

1994 Reduced the slide weight by 1.1 oz.
Reason: improve reliability with training rounds and make gun easier to carry.

1994-95 Change to a polygonal barrel
Reason: Glock

1994-95 Change trigger transfer bar
Reason: Improve reliability in cold weather and dirty environments

1994-95 Change recoil guide rod to a "captured spring version"
Reason: Glock

1995 Change trigger mechanism.
Reason: Improve drop protection, reduce manufacturing costs, eliminate hammer over travel

1995-96 Add rubber spur to hammer
Reason: Required to pass some institution's drop test.
?? on date-change size of magazine release to current smaller button.
Reason: to prevent inadvertent mag releases?

1995-96 Change angle on slide lock
Reason: customers don't want slide to close automatically when a mag is inserted

2000 Add locking feature to hammer strut support:
Reason: attempt to pacify safety Nazis

2001 Converted captive recoil spring retainer from c-clip to
Machined end on Compacts.
Reason? C-clip prone to breakage on the Compacts.

Got that from HK pro

jojo760
12-20-2008, 8:28 PM
Alright, thanks for your help.

Maddog5150
12-20-2008, 8:53 PM
I believe it actually states in the owners manual now that if it does that, the pistol is malfunctioning.

Artery
12-21-2008, 8:59 AM
I always thought the "universal" part had more to do with the idea that the USP platform can be used for anything, ie concealed carry, military use, LEO use, target use, etc etc. As far as "self loading" I take that to mean the same thing as "auto loading" (semi automatic).

FWIW I think getting the slide to release when the mag is inserted has alot to do with the angle you 'whack' the floorplate at, but if HK designed it not to do that, then its probally near impossible.