PDA

View Full Version : i failed so hard at milling

Ohmybad
10-25-2017, 8:42 AM
just milled my 80 receiver for the first time yesterday and failed at it.
i was wondering if anyone could guide me or give me an advice.

i was using a drill press and the anderson drilling jig but i guess it didnt come out to well.

https://imgur.com/a/AyJGb

Ohmybad
10-25-2017, 8:43 AM
here is the image link. the img code didnt work..

Sigsour7
10-25-2017, 8:43 AM
wwwttthhhhhh

dude, that looks like you didn't even have it clamped in place. and your drills wobbled ALLLL over the place.

man you gotta start small....

Ohmybad
10-25-2017, 8:44 AM
ya what i did was drill small holes. then the big drill bit didnt do a good job at all sigh.

Sigsour7
10-25-2017, 8:45 AM
did you hold it by hand or clamped in?

Ohmybad
10-25-2017, 8:46 AM
clamped it with one of those clampers but the drill keep sliding sideways

kevinj0101
10-25-2017, 8:50 AM
Go slower next time, just a tad.

WTSGDYBBR
10-25-2017, 8:52 AM
I would trash that and start over .

KaLiFORNIA
10-25-2017, 8:52 AM
Go much much slower, get endmills, not drill bits. Drill press isn't designed to handle side loads. Be aware your chuck can fall out ... ask me how I know. Long ago I was able to finish one 80% with an old drill press. I had to go over the walls with multiple passes because the press has flex and wasn't cutting at 90°.

Ohmybad
10-25-2017, 8:53 AM
I would trash that and start over .

so its completely useless? theres no way i can fix it ?

Ohmybad
10-25-2017, 8:55 AM
Go much much slower, get endmills, not drill bits. Drill press isn't designed to handle side loads. Be aware your chuck can fall out ... ask me how I know. Long ago I was able to finish one 80% with an old drill press. I had to go over the walls with multiple passes because the press has flex and wasn't cutting at 90°.

thats what exactly happened! the chuck fell off and i keep having to shove it back in. so just use a endmills now? i was using the drill bits that came with the jig

KaLiFORNIA
Also I didn't drill the holes for fear of going to deep. Start in the middle, get a pocket going. Enlarge that pocket until it is the desired size.

WTSGDYBBR

I am sure there is a way you can fix it to make it work . If you can live with how it look inside .

Bob Oso
10-25-2017, 8:56 AM
try smoothing out the walls with an end mill and jig.

what’s up with your keyboard?

Ohmybad
10-25-2017, 8:57 AM
I am sure there is a way you can fix it to make it work . If you can live with how it look inside .

inside doesnt really matter to me. this is just my first time milling it.

Ohmybad
10-25-2017, 8:58 AM
Also I didn't drill the holes for fear of going to deep. Start in the middle, get a pocket going. Enlarge that pocket until it is the desired size.

kk ill try that.

try smoothing out the walls with an end mill and jig.

what’s up with your keyboard?

its a mechanical keyboard :)

KaLiFORNIA
10-25-2017, 8:59 AM
I'd say get a router. Or go much much much slower, and try to go straight down (slowly, maybe 1/8 inch at a time) more than trying to put lateral pressure on the chuck . As far as using it, I've heard stories of jb weld working...

KaLiFORNIA
10-25-2017, 8:59 AM
Lol didn't notice the keyboard

Sigsour7
10-25-2017, 9:01 AM
Lol didn't notice the keyboard

buahaha, you can't be so limp wristed with the work.

HOLD THAT $h1t DOWN. or clamped is the way to go

Sigsour7
10-25-2017, 9:02 AM
it could be fixed, a welder would need to fill that whole area with aluminum.

but since lowers are so cheap, just get another one dude

becxltoo984
10-25-2017, 9:04 AM
iv'e done 5 so far and they just keep turning out better , but im using this jig .

https://www.80percentarms.com/products/easy-jig-gen-2-combined-ar-15-and-308-jig

protohyp
10-25-2017, 9:05 AM
there is a guy here in a post WAY back that used a dremel....looked about as bad but it functioned. All you need to do is make sure your trigger pins are in the proper place and that the cavity for the safety clears all aluminum...the inside of a lower receiver is like underwear...even though it is stained its still doing its job..

Ohmybad
10-25-2017, 9:06 AM
sigh i guess ill just get a new one

gogohopper
10-25-2017, 9:06 AM
That's what happens when you let Michael J. Fox steady the jig for ya!

Sigsour7
10-25-2017, 9:09 AM
"...the inside of a lower receiver is like underwear...even though it is stained its still doing its job."

great metaphor

17+1
10-25-2017, 9:31 AM
You just need a manual milling machine bro, fixture the lower up, use the 7/16 center cutting end mill to cut the pocket to slightly deeper depth to clean up the messes, and then conventional mill around the perimeter at a couple depths to clean it up.

You can make the pocket out of spec and it will still work fine, as long as the parts fit.

Post some pics so we can see this beast...:) never mind saw the pics, not sure if that’s fixable...

baih777
10-25-2017, 9:36 AM
Use must have used a big dull drill bit. Or the drill bit is bent.

bruss01
10-25-2017, 9:42 AM
just milled my 80 receiver for the first time yesterday and failed at it.
i was wondering if anyone could guide me or give me an advice.

i was using a drill press and the anderson drilling jig but i guess it didnt come out to well.

I never say I "failed" until I have given up.

That said, you may have called it right the first time. I've seen some gouge jobs but that one of yours is really spectacular.

It's a learning curve and I hope you will try again with better tools and technique. You only fail when you quit. Keep going brother, this one may be a lost cause (beyond practical redemption) but I encourage you to start over with a fresh lower. Have confidence you can do it and learn from past mistakes.

WOODY2
10-25-2017, 9:44 AM
it's trash in my opinion, I'd use end mills and try to clean it up for practice before starting on a new 80%. Harbor Freight has X-Y axis vices that aid in the milling process.

Nguyen
10-25-2017, 10:09 AM
kk ill try that.

its a mechanical keyboard :)

cm masterkey pro ?

81turbota
10-25-2017, 10:27 AM
That's completely trashed. Go slow!!!!! Don't side load the drill press.

CouchOperator
10-25-2017, 10:30 AM
Loooooooooool

racinjason233
10-25-2017, 10:39 AM
great job at screwing that up! don't fret though these particular paper weights are extremely simple to make function. there is only 3 operations that must function. Safety selector, trigger, hammer. I would use this one as a learning lesson to make the lower function as designed. What size end mill are you using? How many holes did you drill? What size drill bits did you use? How are you setting the depth?

frahuang
10-25-2017, 10:44 AM
You should get a end mill and try to clean it up. Something like this,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-X-3-4-Cut-X-4-Long-3-Flute-Extended-Reach-Carbide-EndMill-AR80-Lower-Jig/253221826559?hash=item3af5326fff:g:PEIAAOSwo4pYg-GU

If the 80% is 7075 alum then maybe try slower speed. Oh and like others have already said, xy vise will help alot. I would also get a drop in trigger as some parts of the side wall look really thin.

With just a drill press, polymer and 6061 alum will be much easier. Just take your time and good luck.

sonofeugene
10-25-2017, 10:46 AM
Cracks me up when people try to use a drill press as a mill and screw things up.

Sorry, OP, there's a huge world of a difference between a drill press and a mill. I don't care if you do have a jig, drill presses were/are NOT made to work when there's a side load on the cutter. Which is exactly what milling does. A drill press is designed ONLY to move a cutter straight down. Not sideways.

And just so you know, unless you're going into material where the material surrounds the cutter 360 degrees, there IS a side load on that cutter.

sonofeugene
10-25-2017, 10:47 AM
....Don't side load the drill press.

I agree fully. Of course, if you don't side load the press and the tool, you can't mill. :D

VictorFranko
10-25-2017, 10:48 AM
OP,
I've been cutting metal for a living for forty years and that is about the worst thing I've ever seen, but............don't get discouraged!
Everyone scraps a part now and then.
Learn by doing and learn from your mistakes. You will make plenty.
Kudos to you for giving it a go!!!!!

Dirtbiker
10-25-2017, 10:48 AM
When using a drill press with end mills you must take off very small amounts of metal. A home drill press will take almost zero side load without spitting out its chuck.

sonofeugene
10-25-2017, 10:51 AM
I just saw the pix. That's a pretty spectacular fail. Especially since you should have stopped long before you did.

Seriously, unless you've already got some skills, no one should attempt to machine a lower with a drill press.

Speaking of drill presses, what were you using? And how long were your cutters? And I suppose you were chucking the cutter up in the drill chuck? (That's a fail right there.)

sonofeugene
10-25-2017, 10:53 AM
And should you feel absolutely compelled to try again (toss the one you have), buy some aluminum stock and clamp it in the fixture and practice first. Learn what you can and cannot do.

sonofeugene
10-25-2017, 11:05 AM
You should get a end mill and try to clean it up. Something like this,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-X-3-4-Cut-X-4-Long-3-Flute-Extended-Reach-Carbide-EndMill-AR80-Lower-Jig/253221826559?hash=item3af5326fff:g:PEIAAOSwo4pYg-GU.

The longer the end mill, the more important that it be gripped securely (no drill presses) and the more important it is to go even slower.

If I was absolutely forced to use a drill press as a mill, I'd start with the shortest end mills possible and only go longer as it became necessary. Remember that a drill chuck does a really crappy job of holding onto end mills. Also remember that even if it's running true enough, it will usually walk out of the chuck and you'll end up cutting too deep.

Using a drill press as an end mill is full of fail.

BrassCase
10-25-2017, 11:07 AM
I'd keep working with the one you are on right now, if it can't be salvaged then think of it as a practice piece. I would also suggest choking up on the drill bit in case you have it extended too far. Put as much of the shank into the chuck as you can as this will help minimize the effects of run-out.

spfabrication
10-25-2017, 11:09 AM
Please don't call that "milling"

Blade Gunner
10-25-2017, 11:17 AM
With the recent state requirements to serialize, I see no legal advantage (other than DYI satisfaction)
to self built 80% lowers. With milling (drilling) equipment, they cost more than a factory stripped lower of better quality.

readysetgo
10-25-2017, 11:19 AM
That thing looks 20 x better than mine. You know, the one I never attempted. At least you're trying.

randm
10-25-2017, 11:31 AM
That picture is what I imagine when a vendor is trying to sell me a "blem" product.

Good luck.

user120312
10-25-2017, 11:38 AM
Presuming #2MT, there's a collet adapter similar to what I use in my Tapmatic that securely mounts milling cutters. I'd have to see the drill press to give some suggestions. I had a bench unit with 4" column and 2" quill set up with an X-Y table and dedicated collet chuck for small work that I didn't want to tie up the Bridgeport with. The key is rigidity, both in the tool and the work. That's tough to get with low-end bench models if not using dedicated jigs.

Also, what's your goal? Doing one lower? Learning to do machine work? Etc....

trg-s338
10-25-2017, 12:39 PM
As mentioned, using a drill press as a mill is a great disadvantage, more so if it's a cheap small press. If you have to use it, use sharp center cutting endmills and take very small "bites" or cuts to keep the side loads at minimum. Off course that will try your patience because it'll take forever to get to your dimensions. Again, a rigid set up and an x-y vise will increase your chances of success.

Taurus94538
10-25-2017, 12:51 PM
I'll take it! Will you ship this junked lower?

71MUSTY
10-25-2017, 1:32 PM

WOW, you did better then I ever could, which is why i don't.

Jon Road King
10-25-2017, 2:07 PM
Anyone else notice how that jig is bolted together?

I'm guessing OP's rear takedown pin is going to be a bit woogidy even if he manages to salvage the pocket...

randm
10-25-2017, 2:32 PM
I'll take it! Will you ship this junked lower?

Even though I'd call it chowdered-- I'm not so sure BATF would call it 'junked' just yet...

shooter1975
10-25-2017, 2:36 PM
Whats wrong with that lower!!!! I say go with it!!!! :rofl: Sorry bud that's the funniest **** I've seen in a while!!!! Keep at though!!!

protohyp
10-25-2017, 2:41 PM
the neighbors were probably wondering why you were jackhammering your concrete again. Personally I know I would be able to salvage that lower...and could probably do it on a drill press with no problem...but just a lot of time required.

protohyp
10-25-2017, 2:44 PM
yup...and here is the dremel thread

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=999095

DoubleA
10-25-2017, 2:46 PM
No problem. Should buff right out! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5.56Geo
10-25-2017, 3:01 PM
Turn it in at the next "Gun Buy BacK" for $100!

the Scholar
10-25-2017, 3:03 PM
Sorry buddy, I think that thing is jacked. I would start over if I were you.

XD40Kyle
10-25-2017, 3:38 PM
holy hell! did you have a top jig or did you just eyeball it? sorry but if it came out THAT bad, just save yourself the hassle and buy a finished lower. that thing is destroyed

CalArkansas
10-25-2017, 3:49 PM
Finish it slowly with a dremal. I still use my drill press... But I finish with a dremal. Use milling bits to clean it all up first.

You can always start over with a new one. Try a polymer lower... They are excellent and the drill press will eat it up nicely.

maxwellca21
10-25-2017, 3:53 PM
went in 80%....came out 20%

Urban Legend
10-25-2017, 4:05 PM
This is COMPLETELY salvageable. You need a better jig and also a router and end mill bit. Go with the Easy Jig Jen 2 or the 5D Tactical jig and end mill bit. I have done several 80% lowers using a drill press, drimmel, and end mill with router. The later is the BEST way to do it. My advice is to NEVER use a drill press for the majority of the work. You can salvage this one and you will have experience for the next.

Urban Legend
10-25-2017, 4:08 PM
With the recent state requirements to serialize, I see no legal advantage (other than DYI satisfaction)
to self built 80% lowers. With milling (drilling) equipment, they cost more than a factory stripped lower of better quality.

Milling an 80% lower is the only way to build an AR pistol in Cali. Plenty of people like them.

Reecek
10-25-2017, 4:09 PM
I'm Sorry, but that picture made me laugh. Go slow with the next one and read the directions first and if that doesn't work, follow the directions.

Blade Gunner
Milling an 80% lower is the only way to build an AR pistol in Cali. Plenty of people like them.

That is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shooter1975

Lol!!! Thats funny!!!

jaymz
10-25-2017, 4:34 PM
Fill it with epoxy, get some end mills, and try again. It should be completely salvageable. May not be pretty, but it'll work.

eaglemike
10-25-2017, 4:52 PM
OP, knowledge is worth something. You are learning. Treat it as a learning experience. Might now be able to save it, or might not want to. Might see how far you can go to save it, and learn how to improve your technique and setup.

oc16
10-25-2017, 6:20 PM
look dude that is really bad but agreed with above fill it with epoxy and try again. if you are set with using a new lower use this one as continued practice that way you do not waste the lower. the next one go slow who cares if it takes you a few hours or days a good looking hole is better then a grinder.

Cokebottle
10-25-2017, 7:22 PM
Even though I'd call it chowdered-- I'm not so sure BATF would call it 'junked' just yet...
This.

It has been machined beyond the 80% stage, so BATFE does consider it a "firearm"
Legally, 4 torch cuts with at least 1/4" material blown out.
In practicality, slice it like a loaf of bread in a bandsaw with a hacksaw and dispose of the parts in separate dumpsters.

It MIGHT be possible to save this, but I suspect that the depth is too far down and the walls too thin, meaning the trigger group is not going to fit or function well... IF the selector is clean enough, then a drop-in trigger group might do the trick... but that's a lot of expense for an 80% that's that messed up AND must be assembled in compliance with the new laws.

TMB 1
10-25-2017, 7:34 PM
This^

Endmill bit and make the side cuts baby cuts.

Aeneas
10-25-2017, 7:39 PM
Sooo.....what's the problem?

M1NM
10-25-2017, 7:44 PM
Use drills only for making vertical cuts - lube is your friend. Drill 1/8" short on first pass then finish to depth. Use end mills for making the sides smooth - lube is still your friend. When you stuff the quill into the drill press make sure the tapers are clean and dry - lube is not your friend. Don't try to drill with an end mill the is zero speed at the center and it just won't work the are made to cut horizontal in small steps.

ar15barrels
10-25-2017, 8:51 PM

Get some scrap aluminum and mount it in your fixture and practice on the scraps before you attempt another actual lower.
Lacking some refinement of your process, I would expect similar results the next time around.

bootstrap
10-25-2017, 9:07 PM
Turn it in at the next "Gun Buy BacK" for $100!
^^^ This.

Don't Anderson jigs require like 32 initial cuts?

Try an 80% arms jig, first pass is only 8 cuts.

Make sure the jig is tight and take your time.

Use Tap Magic cutting fluid and have a vacuum or air compressor handy to clear the chips after each pass.

Urban Legend
10-25-2017, 9:14 PM
TRUST ME, its salvageable without filling it with epoxy. The walls have not been drilled to thin nor has it been drilled to deep. Get a new jig, router, and end mill. Preferable the Easy Jig 2 or the 5D Tactical like I mentioned earlier. Take your time and you can clean that up and make it workable. Use drilling as little as possible when doing 80% lowers. A router coupled with a jig that guides the router is your friend. Look up youtube vids of the 5D Tactical jig. Also use LOTS of WD-40 and you will be fine.

Tac driver
10-25-2017, 10:38 PM
Does your drill press have a quill lock? If it doesn't it makes it a pita to complete.

edgerly779
10-26-2017, 4:17 AM
Finished lowers and got 50 buck cards at buyback. I had 2 i got as blems for 20 bucks then practiced on them and took to buyback. And the op's is now 100% so no shipping or selling unless to ffl.

langss
10-26-2017, 9:07 AM
It is totally salvageable. If you lived near me, I would say bring it over and we can finish it. I have been using this and not had one problem.https://www.80percentarms.com/collections/lower-jigs/products/80-ar-15-easy-jig I didn't even use their lowers and it still worked perfectly.

Canucky
10-26-2017, 9:14 AM
Has anyone mentioned all the tutorials on U Tube? Don't give up OP!

wpage
10-26-2017, 9:33 AM
There are 9 ways to skin a cat...

Hang in there.

Claytonmarkin
10-26-2017, 9:34 AM
Dead real, thanks for sharing. I've always wondered the ratio of bought 80% lowers to completed guns lol. Machining aluminum isn't easy, and most people who claim they can knock it out with a dremel are idiots. Luckily, 80%'s are fairly cheap, so there's not a huge loss here.

I am bummed that the whole 80% party thing is gone, I genuinely need guidance on these things lol

racinjason233
10-26-2017, 10:07 AM

funniest reply yet!

Maxwell wins the internet today! keep after it and you will have a new learned skill and a lower that will function as designed!

coy80176
10-26-2017, 6:40 PM
Drill press is for drilling holes, up and down, not for cutting sideways.

Get a router with end mill, and cut butt hairs at a time, slow is fast :oji:

gwgn02
10-26-2017, 6:42 PM
i'm sorry but i had a good laugh at the OP's attempt

caliguy93
10-26-2017, 7:04 PM
Don’t scrap it!!!!

Fill the voids with JB weld and start over. Just make sure u full all the voids so that it doesn’t pit.

WOODY2
10-26-2017, 7:06 PM
Don’t scrap it!!!!

Fill the voids with JB weld and start over. Just make sure u full all the voids so that it doesn’t pit.
Great then he will have a M24? Cause he did it 1.5 times? :D

REDdawn6
10-26-2017, 7:15 PM
Op.. Fix it, so it looks better. Next gun buy back, take if for $200 Gift Card

Rvly
10-26-2017, 7:16 PM
Wow that's pretty bad. I use the 80percentarms jig with the makita router. I now have a manual mill and use that along with the router.

I say start fresh because all of those uneven surfaces are going to give you crazy amounts of end mill deflection and break all of your endmills.
The key is that when you are doing it manually with a router and endmill you have to cut in very small increments, even smaller than what 80 percent arms recommends in their video. I only cut/pull out the endmill bit maybe 4 mm each time. It takes forever but it comes out very clean and you won't break bits.
https://i.imgur.com/7dLEFXBl.jpg

17+1
10-26-2017, 7:46 PM
Op.. Fix it, so it looks better. Next gun buy back, take if for $200 Gift Card

That’s not a bad idea...spend $26 on a lower, butcher it then try to turn it in at a bit back for a gift card....I like you’re thinking. :D

fawndog
10-26-2017, 8:03 PM
It's weldable, then use a mill on it.

TS77
10-26-2017, 8:10 PM
OP's user name check out :)

Ohmybad
10-26-2017, 8:36 PM
i failed hard i know. oh my bad

Ohmybad
10-26-2017, 8:38 PM
It is totally salvageable. If you lived near me, I would say bring it over and we can finish it. I have been using this and not had one problem.https://www.80percentarms.com/collections/lower-jigs/products/80-ar-15-easy-jig I didn't even use their lowers and it still worked perfectly.

im from orange county, ca. shouldnt be that far. but someone from local might help me tomorrow morning hopefully.

frahuang
10-26-2017, 9:23 PM
Drill press is for drilling holes, up and down, not for cutting sideways.

Get a router with end mill, and cut butt hairs at a time, slow is fast :oji:

Ha I have the same Makita router. It's great.

Sicarius
10-26-2017, 11:33 PM
It is fixable to Be functional. Don't worry. It can be redeemed.
Kevin

MrBlazito
10-27-2017, 8:33 AM
im from orange county, ca. shouldnt be that far. but someone from local might help me tomorrow morning hopefully.

I hope that someone is just there to give you tips and not actually be involved.

geoint
10-27-2017, 9:54 AM
Cracks me up when people try to use a drill press as a mill and screw things up.

Sorry, OP, there's a huge world of a difference between a drill press and a mill. I don't care if you do have a jig, drill presses were/are NOT made to work when there's a side load on the cutter. Which is exactly what milling does. A drill press is designed ONLY to move a cutter straight down. Not sideways.

And just so you know, unless you're going into material where the material surrounds the cutter 360 degrees, there IS a side load on that cutter.

That's cool, I just learned something new today! Thanks man

OP, dont worry most of us dont grow up around machine shops and totally ruin our first 80%. My first I had a mill and vice and still completely jacked it up. Second was not great but functional. Third was also not great but finished quicker and also functional. At that point I was like F this and went back to just buying regular lowers lol.

Not long after I moved to a free state where I can just buy guns without a background check and most buyers/sellers dont even care for a bill of sale. God I love parking lot gun deals :D

67Cuda
10-27-2017, 6:30 PM
That's cool, I just learned something new today! Thanks man

Just curious. How are are you treated in the land of Mormon? Nothing against Mormons, but they do have their clicks.

rustyx
10-27-2017, 7:38 PM
Woulda got better results if you used an angle grinder, geez

KaLiFORNIA
10-27-2017, 10:48 PM
Any update?

Ohmybad
10-28-2017, 11:45 PM
Any update?

finding a solution to get it fixed. ill keep you updated

wpod
10-29-2017, 12:15 AM
This is why I ordered 2 lowers.
Now I have 2 ARs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

musketjon
10-29-2017, 12:30 PM
Problem number one--as previously addressed--drill presses are for DRILLING, not milling due to the side forces on the spindle bearings. Problem number two is that a drill is for DRILLING. The flutes on a drill are for chip evacuation, NOT for side cutting. NEVER use a drill for a milling operation no matter what its diameter or length.
Jon

Cokebottle
10-29-2017, 12:35 PM
Problem number one--as previously addressed--drill presses are for DRILLING, not milling due to the side forces on the spindle bearings. Problem number two is that a drill is for DRILLING. The flutes on a drill are for chip evacuation, NOT for side cutting. NEVER use a drill for a milling operation no matter what its diameter or length.
I've never seen an 80% jig and tool kit that advises side-cutting with a drill bit.
They start with a series of small holes, then the small holes are used to center large holes, then an end-mill is used to cut the walls and floor level.

Only thing I've seen that works differently are for the polymer lowers where the end-mill is also used to plunge, but it's polymer.

Res
10-29-2017, 10:19 PM
I say mill the rest out, then debut it in the lightweight AR thread...

MrBlazito
10-30-2017, 9:19 AM
To all you drill press naysayers, we hear you, a drill press is not ideal for this job. But guess what, lots of people including myself have done an excellent job with a decent drill press. My lower came out smooth the first time. But I followed instructions to the T and had the right tools. To be honest there isn't as much side load as people make it out to be. I did not have to put much force on my lower against the mill bit to cut the walls. Certainly not enough force to unseat the chuck. I just had to go very slow and take off very little material each pass.

Not sure how OP accomplished that mess.

ar15barrels
10-30-2017, 9:29 AM
Not sure how OP accomplished that mess.

Some people have the skills to make an AK from an old car fender in a cave with rocks.
Other people simply should not be doing metalwork.

roguedogue
10-30-2017, 3:01 PM
Keep at it. If you are willing, get another lower and try again. I went through 2 lowers before the final 5 worked out. You learn as you go and learn from others as well.

geoint
10-30-2017, 4:02 PM
Just curious. How are are you treated in the land of Mormon? Nothing against Mormons, but they do have their clicks.

Well I am Mormon but not a very good one. These days I am more culturally Mormon than spiritual about it.

But ya even I felt the clique type atmosphere. If I'm going to be honest, that is the probably the biggest factor in why I stopped going to church in the first place. Couldn't connect with anyone at church and got tired of feeling alienated. I've always just been too much of a cynic for my own good and my dark sense of humor and political beliefs do NOT jive well with "lets go bake cookies" types.

Still love Utah and appreciate what Mormonism is and plan to raise my kids in it because I see no other institutions anywhere that even come close to producing kids of the same caliber (on average). I'm just gonna have to fake it for my kids lol

geoint
10-30-2017, 4:05 PM
Some people have the skills to make an AK from an old car fender in a cave with rocks.
Other people simply should not be doing metalwork.

I am definitely part of the latter group. :D

But it was still a fun and enlightening process the few times I tried it. But ya from here on out, I'm just gonna buy lowers ready to build or even complete lowers since I hate doing bolt catches.

HK Dave
10-30-2017, 7:16 PM
Not trying to be mean or anything OP but i fell off my bed laughing. Thanks! :)

Tasty
10-31-2017, 7:36 AM
Jesus Christ. Your lower has AIDS. Throw that thing away and just stick to buying completed lowers.

kalibeltfeeder
10-31-2017, 8:14 AM
This.

Legally, 4 torch cuts with at least 1/4" material blown out.
In practicality, slice it like a loaf of bread in a bandsaw with a hacksaw and dispose of the parts in separate dumpsters.
s.
You got an actual law you can quote on that?
First I thought it was 3 cuts, and second I thought that only applies to import kits?

U.S. Made guns get Saw cut and sold all the time...

Cokebottle
10-31-2017, 6:10 PM
You got an actual law you can quote on that?
First I thought it was 3 cuts, and second I thought that only applies to import kits?

U.S. Made guns get Saw cut and sold all the time...
3 cuts... 4 pieces.

This is specifically aimed at machine guns, but the same would apply to any firearm.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/machinegun-destruction

kalibeltfeeder
10-31-2017, 9:01 PM
Applies to imports for sure, but I've seen debate over U.S made guns. Like I mentioned there is saw kit cuts getting sold all the time, seems to be mostly home built kits, but doesn't seem to be a problem. Single cuts to boot...

I know there is instance of guys getting in trouble on GB for domestic saw cuts, but IIRC the guy was popped for rewelding the receivers as FA, never installing denials, and then cutting them...

Interesting that the ATF does want HKs to get 4 cuts though, everything else 3 cuts

sitruc
11-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience and sharing a photo for us to all learn from. Some of you people are really mean or perhaps just stupid...OP had no obligation to show us a picture but did so anyway not only for assistance but for others to use as a lesson in the future. Keep that failed lower around to remind you about choosing the correct materials for your next build and the importance of patience.

I recommend the EasyJig too. You can bulk buy extra lowers on which to practice from 80% arms at the same time as well. Forged, not billet. Order extra end mills ahead of time.
Finish the first one and shoot the heck out of it to make sure it works without any failures. Remember that the goal is FUNCTION, not perfection. You won't be showing off the inside of your lower to people in a contest. After that, build more and keep at least a few buried off your property in different places.
I used a DEWALT DWP611 router for mine. Good luck, OP.

17+1
11-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience and sharing a photo for us to all learn from. Some of you people are really mean or perhaps just stupid...OP had no obligation to show us a picture but did so anyway not only for assistance but for others to use as a lesson in the future. Keep that failed lower around to remind you about choosing the correct materials for your next build and the importance of patience.

I recommend the EasyJig too. You can bulk buy extra lowers on which to practice from 80% arms at the same time as well. Forged, not billet. Order extra end mills ahead of time.
Finish the first one and shoot the heck out of it to make sure it works without any failures. Remember that the goal is FUNCTION, not perfection. You won't be showing off the inside of your lower to people in a contest. After that, build more and keep at least a few buried off your property in different places.

I’ve machined my own and provided guidance to friends with making 20+ lowers. Never had one not function. Some are prettier than others, but you don’t need to make only one, then shoot it, then make the rest. That is a huge waste of time once you’re all setup and running them on the mill.

MrOrange
11-02-2017, 4:20 PM
Another vote to finish it & see what's what. As others have mentioned, as long as the pin holes are in the right place and there's no excessive side-to-side slop, it should work. You can shim the FCG if you don't want to splurge on a nice drop-in trigger, but hey, it'd be a nice drop-in trigger! If the walls are really thin, you might want to save it for a dedicated .22 LR version.

All the usual advice: Patience, follow the directions, lube, go slow, etc. On my HF drill press, after cleaning the quill mounting surfaces I swiped on some pine tar before smacking it home with a mallet, then I pressed it against a piece of 2x4. Then smacked it with a mallet again.

The ones that use a router sure do a good job, that would be my recommendation. One member mentioned that even though he had a real working sized mill and years of experience, using the router method was just more fun and that's what he preferred. You could run this lower through a router set-up, I bet it'd clean up half-way decent.

KaLiFORNIA
11-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Any update? Trash it? Practice more?

Ohmybad
11-03-2017, 1:43 PM
Any update? Trash it? Practice more?
Okay.

UPDATE:
https://imgur.com/DKg20It.jpg

https://imgur.com/WmFED8G.jpg

https://imgur.com/2jnz4fm.jpg

Special thanks to Urban Legend for letting me use his 5d tactical jig & router and also guiding me through the whole process. Thank you!

81turbota
11-03-2017, 2:37 PM
Awesome! I'm glad you were able to salvage it and learn. Do you plan to do another?

Ohmybad
11-03-2017, 2:54 PM
Awesome! I'm glad you were able to salvage it and learn. Do you plan to do another?

most definitely! but next one imma go out and buy a better jig and a router.

cfm117
11-03-2017, 2:56 PM
Nice job on the recovery

Urban Legend
11-03-2017, 4:15 PM
Okay.

UPDATE:

Special thanks to Urban Legend for letting me use his 5d tactical jig & router and also guiding me through the whole process. Thank you!

Glad I could help. The right tools make a difference. Took him less than an hour to complete it. The Pistol looks good. Let us know how it shoots once you take it out.

KaLiFORNIA
11-04-2017, 7:57 AM
Congratulations! You now have an awesome pistol!

saki302
11-04-2017, 9:28 AM
Hahahahaha, I had a feeling it could be salvaged, just ugly.

Thread made my morning :D

WOODY2
11-04-2017, 9:48 AM
Okay.

UPDATE:
https://imgur.com/DKg20It.jpg

https://imgur.com/WmFED8G.jpg

https://imgur.com/2jnz4fm.jpg

:facepalm::facepalm:

alanbmx
11-04-2017, 11:39 AM

Damn you suck at this......

alanbmx
11-04-2017, 11:42 AM

You could sandblast the cutout area and clean real good with acetone or brake cleaner and fill it solid with JB weld and start over,

shaka.brah
11-04-2017, 4:15 PM
Whoa.... So it looks like you finished it ??

Just for future reference, I know many have used drill presses, but drill pressses can't handle the side loads.

spyde12
11-04-2017, 4:48 PM
Dead real, thanks for sharing. I've always wondered the ratio of bought 80% lowers to completed guns lol. Machining aluminum isn't easy, and most people who claim they can knock it out with a dremel are idiots. Luckily, 80%'s are fairly cheap, so there's not a huge loss here.

I am bummed that the whole 80% party thing is gone, I genuinely need guidance on these things lol

Do it and sell the jig afterwards. Then recoup most of the cost of the jig.

5D Tactical or 80% Arms Easy Jig2 Multiplatform.

Go to the gunsmith section. There's a ton of useful information. You'll also see the review I wrote between the two over there.

Yep. I agree with you dude. We're here to help each other out and OP was being real with his mistake.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

spyde12
11-04-2017, 4:50 PM
OP...I'm glad you were able to salvage it. Have fun and enjoy the pride in finishing something you started.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

sitruc
11-04-2017, 5:59 PM
Awesome job finishing it out!

Since you OBVIOUSLY DO NOT LIVE IN CA, nice looking gat. From the outside you cannot even tell Frankenstein's monster resides inside :p.

Hypothetically if you did live in CA, I congratulate you on building this last year and sharing your adventure with us 11 months later.
Hypothetically, I would also delete these photos so DOJ cannot catalog them.
Hypothetically, I would also remove my location details in my profile.
Hypothetically, I would remove any post in reference to when work on this lower was started.

Cokebottle
11-04-2017, 6:10 PM

Since you OBVIOUSLY DO NOT LIVE IN CA, nice looking gat. From the outside you cannot even tell Frankenstein's monster resides inside :p.

Hypothetically if you did live in CA, I congratulate you on building this last year and sharing your adventure with us 11 months later.
Hypothetically, I would remove any post in reference to when work on this lower was started.
:confused:
Looks like a break-top single shot, straight-pull bolt action to me.

MrOrange
11-04-2017, 6:43 PM
Damn you suck at this......

OP was aware of this, he admitted it and asked for help.

As opposed to the person who posted this

You could sandblast the cutout area and clean real good with acetone or brake cleaner and fill it solid with JB weld and start over,

a day after the OP put up pictures of the completed project, who seems unaware at best.

Why no hypothetical for living in the United States, vis a vis the ATF and using someone else's tools?

I spoze one could argue that once any cuts were made, the 80% border was crossed, and any assistance after that was performed on the OP's firearm receiver. Then we move onto the gunsmith license thing.

Trriemferent
11-04-2017, 7:18 PM
OP, glad you had success. Im not sure its a good idea to post how you used someone else equipment to complete your 80%