PDA

View Full Version : DRD U556 Upper featureless build?

TheHolyLancer
10-19-2017, 8:27 PM
hi, been eyeing one of these:

http://drdtactical.com/product/drd-u556-billet/

and was wondering if it can be used in a featureless build, namely with the A2 removed and replaced with a muzzle brake (The Specwar ASR muzzle brake) and have it GTG?

Could the fact that it can be broken down into a take down config (IE the barrel and handguard removed) make it non kosher in California? With a applicable lower (IE gripfin + fixed stock), it should be considered non fireable with the two pieces taken apart right? IE the overall length is when it is assembled, and not when it is in its pieces?

If you are curious what it looks like when broken apart: http://drdtactical.com/product/cdr-15-556/ it would be something like this but with featureless items on the upper and lower. And you can see that the lower and upper are attached, but the barrel + handguard and gas tube is in another piece.

Q
10-19-2017, 8:57 PM
I got the old 308 version without forward assist or dust cover.
Planing to put my u15 on it but I noticed the thumb spot is to small or very uncomfortable so I'm looking at the thorsen 308 shim or maybe just getting the thorsen made for 308.

It's pretty cool. Also look at the mgi upper its slightly better because you don't need the special ring for each barrel. If you want to shoot different calibers.

Kwikvette
10-19-2017, 9:41 PM
I guess I don't understand the appeal of said-upper?

There are tons of uppers offered by reputable companies, even for less than the one you posted (and complete too) IE LMT, BCM, Daniel Defense, etc.

Q
10-19-2017, 10:25 PM
I think it's just cool. Also it's more broken down than two halves.
I'm wondering if it is a less accurate system than a fixed one though. I don't have both to compare. I mean with the same quality barrel, ammo.

kenl
10-19-2017, 10:57 PM
I think it's just cool. Also it's more broken down than two halves.
I'm wondering if it is a less accurate system than a fixed one though. I don't have both to compare. I mean with the same quality barrel, ammo.

^???

Maybe I'm missing something, but to me the one the OP posted looks like a normal but slightly overpriced AR upper. Plus they have minimal specs, so there's no real justification for what they're charging.

IMHO, yes, it can be used on a featureless build if the flash hider is removed

TheHolyLancer
10-19-2017, 11:44 PM
I guess I don't understand the appeal of said-upper?

There are tons of uppers offered by reputable companies, even for less than the one you posted (and complete too) IE LMT, BCM, Daniel Defense, etc.

iirc none of the allows for take down at the barrel level but the upper and lower level.

think of it as an ar-7 survival rifle but ar-15.

dousan
10-20-2017, 3:04 AM
There's a video on second link he posted

Similar to a larue predatobr but he didn't use any wrench, just hand tight the barrel nut??

Unless your backpacking and hunting or want multiple calibers and minimal safe room.....I don't see the appeal. I guess ours cheaper with various barrel calibers because building uppers all the time will get pricey compared to just buying barrels

They do sell the barrel nuts separately I assume.

TheHolyLancer
10-20-2017, 9:36 AM
Yeah thinking of backpacking and easier time to experiment with different calibers.

usmc1488
10-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Thats ALOT of money for a 556 upper. Never even heard of the compay.

kenl
10-20-2017, 10:49 AM
The removable barrel is a cool feature, but imho it's a solution looking for a problem. Plus the web site shows a standard upper, and not a breakdown model.

And for that price I can get a decent (not high end) 5.56 upper plus another one, or even two, uppers in other calibers

Rhyme_merchant
10-20-2017, 4:15 PM
Don't forget the tactical tomahawk. It's only $350 and you know its effective based on the battle worn appearance.