PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon Reflex

Flat Broke
11-21-2008, 10:47 PM
I've been kicking around the idea for a red dot for my AK build, as well as turning my 16" middy into a blaster and building an 18" SPR type upper to use with magnified optics. After lusting over ACOGs and having an appreciation for the simplicity and survivability of Trijicon goods, I got to thinking why I haven't heard/seen more about the Reflex red-dot type sights.

From the little info I was able to gather in terms of reviews, the first gen versions weren't the best, but the second gen versions don't seem too bad. I can't find much in the way of reviews on the RX30 though. The only thing I don't like about the RX30 on paper is the dot diameter, and would prefer a chevron or triangle. Anyone here have any first hand experiences with the Trijicon Reflex sights compared to Aimpoints? If so, thoughts on an RX06 or RX09 vs. a RX30?

Thanks,
Chris

rosiekai
01-14-2009, 8:54 PM
Did you decide to get a reflex sight?

Flat Broke
01-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Did you decide to get a reflex sight?

Funny you should bring this up. I was just thinking that I should make a decision as to what I'm going to do for my AK with regards to the Reflex. I think I'll probably roll the RX30 on that since the 6moa dot is fine for what I'd use the AK for, and if it's tollerable out at longer ranges, then maybe get one for my 16" AR if I like it.

Chris

Suvorov
01-15-2009, 12:22 AM
I bought a TriPower recently and have been putting it through its paces. I plan on writing a review and posting it in the next couple of days. While I know it is different than the basic RX30 sight it operates on the same principles.

Washout is the primary disadvantage to the fiber optic system and the main reason the TriPower has a battery backup. From what I understand, the RX30s are a little bit better in this area but will still be subject to washout as it is just the nature of the beast. Basically the washout tends to occur when you are in a darker area and your target is in a brightly lit area or is very reflective.

Other than that, the basic concept is superb and works in over 90% of the conditions I have tried. The Chevron Reticle can't be beat and is the biggest factor in me choosing a Trijicon.

I also run an Aimpoint M2. Quality of both units is top notch. The Trijicon Reflex will be hassle free for you in terms of batteries and will cost you less, however washout will be more of a problem with it than with the Aimpoint. But that chevron reticle beats the 4moa dot of the Aimpoint any day.