PDA

View Full Version : Best place to put the Eotech on AR?

landser1102
11-19-2008, 4:28 PM
I just got myself an Eotech and wondering where is the best place for me to put it on my OLL AR. I heard it's better to put it as far foward as possible. Is it ok to put it on a free float railed forend?:confused:

Regards,

brando
11-19-2008, 4:34 PM
Negative. I thought the same thing while downrange and got schooled by a guy who shoots 50,000+ rounds/year. Put it back over the upper receiver - works just fine there. Over the barrel is a problem because heat has caused countless sights to fail in USASOC and placing it half on the upper receiver / half over the barrel - no go.

Ballistic043
11-19-2008, 4:38 PM
some of the bolt-on rail systems are not secure enough to trust an optic on. periodically, the sight/forend may shift on the barrel nut over time. the snap-in quad rails for example, would be a terrible choice. something like a YHM quad rail would be ideal for optics.

as far as forward vs rearward mounting, its all preference. some people mount it more forward on the receiver, so as to lower the profile of the optic and increase peripheral awareness. (reduce tunnel vision) others like me, prefer it more in the back of the rifle, in a traditional configuration

since you aren't optimizing your rifle for combat, just go out there and see where you like to have it. alot has to do with stance and placement when you bring the rifle up to shoulder.

landser1102
11-21-2008, 4:24 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll put it right behind the front sight and call it good... :D

uracan
11-26-2008, 1:59 PM
GTK

SuperSet
11-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Don't forget to leave some room on that upper receiver for that magnifier you're going to eventually want. :-)