PDA

View Full Version : THUREON DEFENSE CARBINE

74man
03-31-2017, 7:54 PM
Question: With the new Prop.63, does it affect the THUREON DEFENSE CARBINE WHICH HAS A GLOCK MAGAZINE AND IS .45 CALIBER? If not familiar with this model go to the site below:

http://www.mycarbine.com/content/thureon-defense-ga-basic-carbine

My brother in law bought this because he has a 1911 and if shtf he didn't want to carry different ammo. But now with these new laws he doesn't know if he will ever take it out of the safe or to the range. Sweet little Carbine. Thanks for all the reply's.

afteractionreport
03-31-2017, 8:13 PM
Its a semiauto rifle so no colapsable stock, pistol grip or flash hider.

It being a pistol caliber has no effect on whether its a semi auto rifle or not.

If those features are not on the rifle then he can use it without registering

Off course im not a lawyer and you should read the regulations on your own and draw your own conclusions

ScottsBad
03-31-2017, 10:01 PM
It is unclear to me did he get it before 1/1/2017? If so, it has to have some type of BB to go RAW (as of right now). Or it could be featureless. If bought on or after 1/1/2017 it'll have to be made featureless. But who knows what the regs will bring.

I have a Quarter Circle 10 build in .45acp from last year. There is no BB for it so it is featureless.

74man
04-01-2017, 8:15 AM
ScottsBad- Yes he bought it in 2016 or 15 I can't remember exactly when, It does have a bb installed, but it also has a collapable stock, pistol grip, and flash hider. When he filled out the DROS paperwork and went through the NICS check, didn't that register the firearm at that time? These laws are Just Simply Confusing to me, I have read so many that I need advise from someone who knows what they mean and where they apply.
Thanks for the response ScottsBad and I thank you, in advance, if you can answer the above question for me. And if you know a way that he can make it featureless?

kcheung2
04-01-2017, 8:37 AM
I'm not Scottsbad but I can answer some of your questions.

The DROS paperwork at the time of purchase is a background check, and also serves as a mechanism to register a gun in a person's name. However, that is different from an Assault Weapon registration. That is a different list. The process to register for AW is still being worked on, currently there is no website or form to fill out even if one chose to register.

You listed the features the gun has: collapsible stock, pistol grip, flash hider. Making it featureless means removing/changing those 3 items. Stick a pin or screw so the stock is fixed & no longer collapses. Change the pistol grip so it's no longer a pistol grip. Change out the muzzle device so it's not a flash hider, such as a brake, linear compensator, or a thread protector.

1911su16b870
04-01-2017, 11:56 AM
MGI Military (https://www.mgi-military.com/index.php?id=1)used to make a G21 magwell adapter for their Hydra setup. I paired this with a Olympic Arms upper group which really worked well, as they had a coiled spring ejector built into the upper receiver. As my duty gun was a G21, the idea of having an AR that takes the same magazines was neat.

So I am one person who is sad that Olympic Arms closed up last year.

The answer post 1/1/17: build it feature less!