PDA

View Full Version : Cz-75b .40 s&w

spencerk
03-04-2017, 11:31 AM
So I'm trading with another calgunner for his cz75b in .40 S&W. I used to own a pre b czechoslovakian cz in 9mm that I loved and always regretted selling.

How is the 75b in .40S&W? Am I going to like shooting it as much as I liked my s&w 4006?

I kind of wish it was a 9mm but I miss my 4006 (full steel .40) so I figured this would be a good replacement for it.

I kind of want to find a barrel in .357 sig. Either that or get a 9mm complete slide for it. It might be kind of nice to have a multi cal pistol finally.

Intel0116
03-04-2017, 11:41 AM
You'll like it. It's a solid choice given our options here in California. The all steel construction tames the .40 nicely

stormvet
03-04-2017, 11:53 AM
The only .40 CZ I ever owned was a P06. I was not a fan of it, the bulky frame was not comfortable for IWB carry. The trigger shape was uncomfortable and the worst part was the magazine's. CZ put very little thought or effort in the design of the .40 mags, they were problematic and had a huge base for a 'compact gun'. I ended up selling it.

I own several 9mm full size CZ's that are great service guns. I imagine the full size .40's would be good to go also and hopefully CZ has improved the mags or it was just with the compact .40's.

I own many .40 handguns and like the round, may someday pick up a SA only .40 full size CZ. If you end up getting one, I'll look forward to a review after you've owned and shot it a bit.

osis32
03-04-2017, 12:11 PM
weight is helpful on a snappy round like 40. my personal favorite. only complaint is in free states the capacity is lacking in 40.

stormvet
03-04-2017, 12:42 PM
weight is helpful on a snappy round like 40. my personal favorite. only complaint is in free states the capacity is lacking in 40.

It is troubling that with the steel CZ handguns the .40 models capacities are lower then most other manufacturers .40's. This is due to shoe horning the .40 round into a all steel gun designed around 9mm. The CZ P-09 polymer CZ is the one CZ that matches its competition with 15 rounds of .40. A little more R&D and more attention to magazine design may help, but don't know how much it would.

The Walther PPQ is another 9mm design that suffers with low capacity in its .40 models. But Walther put some work and effort into their 40 mags. They are well designed and high quality. They hold 11 rounds, but they also offer a extended mag that holds 13.

spencerk
03-04-2017, 10:25 PM
My reasoning for wanting it for a duty gun. Not so much to use as a .40 (unless I get a gig that requires it, I do armed security/executive protection) I want to make it a .357 sig. I can't carry standard cap mags as a regular citizen so the 10 round mags mean nothing to me while I'm in California. I always thought a full steel .357 sig would be a fun fun to shoot. I like the lightning fast back and fourth flip of the .357 sig rather than the exaggerated snappy roll of the .40.

I used to love the .40 when I had my 4006. It was my go to round and go to gun. That gun saved my life twice without ever needing to fire a single round. I miss it more than I miss my 6 pack. Lol

And I will do a review. I'm supposed be be going to do the ppt this Tuesday. I'll probably put 500-1k rounds down the pipe before I post my review though.

osis32
03-04-2017, 11:35 PM
you might want to check 357 Sig conversion barrel availability. I did a quick check and couldn't find any. just something to be aware of.

spencerk
03-04-2017, 11:40 PM
you might want to check 357 Sig conversion barrel availability. I did a quick check and couldn't find any. just something to be aware of.

I have one located already. I know somebody that has an elk fire dragon barrel new in box.

I'm more worried about holsters to be honest. I haven't seen a lot of good choices.

rogervzv
03-05-2017, 6:44 AM
I have a pair of CZ75Bs in 40 and they are very good shooters. I'm sure that you will like yours.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/Roger54/Gun%20Stuff/Gun%20Stuff%202/Pistols/DSC_2052_zps8b8ef157.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Roger54/media/Gun%20Stuff/Gun%20Stuff%202/Pistols/DSC_2052_zps8b8ef157.jpg.html)

osis32
03-05-2017, 8:05 AM
glad to hear you have a line on a barrel. I think I looked for 9mm conversion barrels before and was very disappointed by lack of availability.

spencerk
03-05-2017, 12:19 PM
I may even know where there is a 9mm conversion barrel. I'll on you If i was correct.

osis32
03-05-2017, 2:19 PM
I appreciate that. thank you

santacruzgunner
03-05-2017, 3:09 PM
Cz 75b in .40 is a total sleeper, great shooting pistol one of my favorite firearms. Best shooting 40cal on the market hands down.

spencerk
03-05-2017, 3:46 PM
Cz 75b in .40 is a total sleeper, great shooting pistol one of my favorite firearms. Best shooting 40cal on the market hands down.

That's what I was hoping to Hearn it has a lower bore axis than my old 4006 so I was thinking it may shoot a bit better

spencerk
03-06-2017, 11:02 AM
At least the cz75 has a fully supported chamber and doesn't also suffer from loose chambers. I posted a thread a while back about my g22 kaboom tearing my hand a new one.

The g22 is by design inferior because they forced the g22 into market to beat the flagship S&W 4006 to market. They cut corners to fit the .40 s&w case into the 9mm Glock frame (loose and unsupported chambers). Of my Glock just had a steel frame I wouldn't have been injured the same way.

stormvet
03-06-2017, 12:31 PM
At least the cz75 has a fully supported chamber and doesn't also suffer from loose chambers. I posted a thread a while back about my g22 kaboom tearing my hand a new one.

The g22 is by design inferior because they forced the g22 into market to beat the flagship S&W 4006 to market. They cut corners to fit the .40 s&w case into the 9mm Glock frame (loose and unsupported chambers). Of my Glock just had a steel frame I wouldn't have been injured the same way.

To be fair this was only the case with the earlier .40 Glocks, the later gen 3 and 4's do not have this problem. But of course a steel frame handgun, well protect you better during a normal case rupture. But a case rupture do to an overcharge can and has destroyed metal framed handguns also.

spencerk
03-06-2017, 12:51 PM
To be fair this was only the case with the earlier .40 Glocks, the later gen 3 and 4's do not have this problem. But of course a steel frame handgun, well protect you better during a normal case rupture. But a case rupture do to an overcharge can and has destroyed metal framed handguns also.

Oh of course it has but I used to work at a gun store and I personally checked TONS of Glock 22's and all of them has looser chambers than any other 40 in the shop and the chamber still had less support. It may have not been AS exessive as before but TBH they didn't actually fully fix the problem. They just made it a little less sketchy.

osis32
03-06-2017, 1:44 PM
You can get a fully supported Glock barrel pretty cheap though. It was designed to be loose. There are instances where the cz barrel is too tight. So take everything with a grain of salt

stormvet
03-06-2017, 1:44 PM
I agree Glocks do have chambers on the lose side, that goes for 9mm and .45 also. But this also is one of the things that lead to their reputation as ultra reliable. I've been shooting their .40's for along time, tens of thousands of rounds fired, probably over 100,000. I've never had an issue, even with the frequently used brass I reload.
Sorry you had an issue, while I've only experienced it myself with a carbine I've seen kabooms happen to others with handguns(interestingly though 9mm) but like most things in life people's experiences often differ.

spencerk
03-06-2017, 2:06 PM
I agree Glocks do have chambers on the lose side, that goes for 9mm and .45 also. But this also is one of the things that lead to their reputation as ultra reliable. I've been shooting their .40's for along time, tens of thousands of rounds fired, probably over 100,000. I've never had an issue, even with the frequently used brass I reload.
Sorry you had an issue, while I've only experienced it myself with a carbine I've seen kabooms happen to others with handguns(interestingly though 9mm) but like most things in life people's experiences often differ.

I've had 2 Glock kabooms. When you shoot 500 rounds a week Its hard to feel that kind of **** is acceptable.

I'm an armorer so I fully understand they were designed with looser tolerances but again compare their 9mm's and 45's to their 40's and the comparison is still off. They didn't overdo the 9mm or .45 because they designed the frame and slide around the cartridge. Rather than Jerry rigging an existing setup.

You shouldn't have to buy an aftermarket barrel to get a totally reliable gun.

Loose chamers make for a gun that might feed more reliably but it won't necessarily be an overall more reliable gun.

There's trade offs with everything. Glock "perfection" however is an oxymoron. They are fantastic guns however. I just do not trust them anymore.

Full steel, proper chambers, and supported chambers are the only way I go nowadays. Not saying everybody should. It's just want gives me confidence in my guns. I've had a catastrophic failure in a 9mm cz75 before and all it did was fracture the barrel at the chamber and expand the slide a bit. I pounded the slide back with a rubber mallet, removed the pin, pounded it forward, removed the barrel, replaced the barrel, trigger assembly, all pins/springs, and for the slide to the frame and the gun ran like a sewing machine again. Not saying that it's specifically because it was a cz, but the fact that it has a captured slide in an all steel frame defiantly didn't hurt. When I told the person I sold it to what happened They actually thought I was lying. I had to give them the original barrel with it to get them to believe me. They couldn't understand why I sold it for $300 flat. Wasn't going to sell a gun that had something like that happen for full resale.

stormvet
03-06-2017, 2:41 PM
I too shoot at least that much a week, like I said my experience differs from yours. I get it you've had bad experiences with Glocks, I've had nothing but great experience with them and find their .40's the most reliable handguns I've ever owned or used on or off duty. I've had many more malfunctions with their 9's and 45's then I've had with their 40's and no chamber rupture with any of them.

No Glock perfection for you, nothing but for me. I'm a lucky guy.

spencerk
03-06-2017, 2:51 PM
I too shoot at least that much a week, like I said my experience differs from yours. I get it you've had bad experiences with Glocks, I've had nothing but great experience with them and find their .40's the most reliable handguns I've ever owned or used on or off duty. I've had many more malfunctions with their 9's and 45's then I've had with their 40's and no chamber rupture with any of them.

No Glock perfection for you, nothing but for me. I'm a lucky guy.

Lol. I feel like the soup Nazi has been dishing me my glocks.

I have been wanting to try a 17 or 34 again rverntually to use as a beater.

Your going to think I'm nuts but the only gun I've never expierienced a malfunction in is my RIA 1911 tactical fs. I've put over 10k rounds through it without a single malfunction and I abuse the crap outta that thing. Ok I went over 2k rounds without cleaning it and it never malfunctioned. I only cleaned it because i decided it was duty reliable at that point and wanted to carry it (and my wife spilled horchata on it lol). My glocks always experienced at least 1 or 2 malfunctions in the first 500 to 1k rounds. So odd.

Maybe my glocks knew I hate plastic. So they hated me in return lol.

Sometimes I'm convinced guns have their own personalities and a mind of their damn own as far as reliability is conceded. I have the most unusual luck.

The most reliable .380 I have owned? An old French MAB model C. I put over 5k rounds through that little pos blowback .380 and it was perfect. Wish I never sold it.

Even the kahr k9 I'm trading for the cz75 never jammed. Not even once.

I tend to have good luck with oddball guns.

My savage b mag is retarded accurate.

With about a 7.5 mil holdover(100 yard zero) I can consistently ding steel at 600 yards at Angeles crest.

No Glock perfection for me, but I get perfection from anything entry level/bottom of the barrel or unusual.

jr-abs
03-06-2017, 3:13 PM
You can get a 75B SPO1 barrel (same dia. as .40) in 9mm for about 150.00 plus some 9mm mags and then have a switch caliber gun. It works great. I have done it.

The only reliability problems you might have is shooting VERY light loads with the standard recoil spring. If shooting lead, or very dirty powder, make sure you clean regularly under the extractor hook and wipe off the feed ramp more often.

spencerk
03-06-2017, 3:14 PM
You can get a 75B SPO1 barrel (same dia. as .40) in 9mm for about 150.00 plus some 9mm mags and then have a switch caliber gun. It works great. I have done it.

The only reliability problems you might have is shooting VERY light loads with the standard recoil spring. If shooting lead, or very dirty powder, make sure you clean regularly under the extractor hook and wipe off the feed ramp more often.

Holy crap you just saved me from buying a top end!

Thank you for that valuable piece of info! Time for me to order a 9mm barrel!

traveler1952
03-06-2017, 3:15 PM
Had that exact gun , sold it. Fit and finish was very pour shot for ****.

stormvet
03-06-2017, 3:35 PM
I was shooting my SP-01, P09 and Glock 43 last Friday. I had a few hundred rounds of 125 gran Bear Creek hard alloy reloads I made that have a hard time feeding in tight chambers. I knew they'd feed fine in the 43 and thought they'd be fine in the P09, but was exspecting feeding issues with the SP-01's known tighter chamber. To my surprise, it feed fine in the SP-01 but failed to chamber reliable in the P09. The Glock feed them without issue, the P09 surprised but it's still got less then a 1000 rounds fired still learning with that gun.

spencerk
03-06-2017, 5:17 PM
Guns have character. They are like the old rich guy in the worn out mansion who drives a rolls Royce but exclusively drinks box wine.

I ain't complaining though. Lol