PDA

View Full Version : $2M In Counterfeit GLOCK Magazines Seized By Customs and Border Protection

Carcassonne
03-03-2017, 9:08 AM
Those magazines are probably for G17 or G19 pistols and hold more than 10 rounds. The State of California has already protected us from these fake mags.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/02/23/counterfeit-glock-magazines/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2017-02-28&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

... an estimated 70,000 fake GLOCK ammunition magazines were seized upon inspection at the Savannah Port of Entry. With a value of around $2M USD, this was no small haul. Both shooters/consumers and GLOCK were protected from fictitious product entering the market.

'ol shooter
03-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Now how is Leland Yee supposed to pay his legal fees?

wpage
03-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Bootlegs...

Good they caught them.

AO3
03-03-2017, 12:50 PM
Good!

deephouse
03-03-2017, 1:02 PM
Now how is Leland Yee supposed to pay his legal fees?

Ha! Too Soon!! Too Soon!!

BigPimping
03-03-2017, 1:03 PM
Hand them out for free.

mjmagee67
03-03-2017, 3:12 PM
The big question is how well do they work??? A Glock Mag ain't a complicated thing to copy and make in China.

GUNNTZ
03-03-2017, 4:38 PM
Real question is who is the crook that ordered them, can't tell me they didn't know.

K1LLROI
03-03-2017, 4:42 PM
Wtf!
Bootleg mags?

hunterb
03-03-2017, 4:49 PM
In other news, Botach is all out of stock on Glock mags! HAHA I kid, I kid! :D

SkyHawk
03-03-2017, 5:21 PM
Wtf!
Bootleg mags?

They will counterfeit anything. There is a market for bootleg Chapstick.

hermosabeach
03-03-2017, 6:22 PM
How do you tell them apart?

The Korean have the dimples....

Edit
http://www.guns.com/2017/02/17/customs-seizes-2-million-worth-of-counterfeit-glock-mags/

The image released by CBP appears to show SGM Tactical branded magazines for Glock pistols. The company, known for their budget magazine offerings and aftermarket parts, is located in Knoxville, Tennessee. Guns.com reached out to SGM for comment on the magazines and will update this piece if one is received.

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Customs.seizes.2.million.worth_.of_.counterfiet.Gl ock_.mags_-1.jpg

http://savannahnow.com/sites/default/files/styles/slideshow__640x360/public/field/image/1303164_web1_SAV_021717_Glocks2.jpg?itok=yybj6gs9

xxINKxx
03-03-2017, 7:25 PM
Looks like Glock is behind it and are going after any company making mags that are identical to factory mags. Thats what the article makes it seem.

newbie1234
03-03-2017, 8:03 PM
I wonder how many WC mag patches went through :mad:

I Swan
03-04-2017, 8:35 AM
Wtf!
Bootleg mags?

There's even bootleg guns. I believe an arms dealer swindled Saddam Hussein selling Iraq FEG Hungarian clones marked as real Browning High Powers.

Wallabing
03-04-2017, 6:12 PM
Not bootleg then, legit third party glock magazines. Spun the story off biased.

The Gleam
03-04-2017, 6:28 PM
They said "Glick" on them.

cvigue
03-04-2017, 6:29 PM
So these were not perfection then.

skosh69
03-04-2017, 6:41 PM
Meh, they were block magazines. It's not like they were faux Chip McCormicks, Tripp Research or WC's.

cvigue
03-04-2017, 6:46 PM
Meh, they were block magazines. It's not like they were faux Chip McCormicks, Tripp Research or WC's.

That's why the lack of quality in the fakes was detectable.

Scratch705
03-05-2017, 2:12 AM
Looks like sgm didnt pay the glock fee to make them. Wonder how much magpul pays glock to make their version of glock mags

Dezrat
03-05-2017, 10:11 AM
Not bootleg then, legit third party glock magazines. Spun the story off biased.

Right. The Mags are not the problem evidently. It's the packaging with what is being claimed to be using a Glock trademark. If it would have said on the packaging "compatible with Glock Pistol" as opposed to just "Glock Magazine" I don't imagine they'd be having any kind of problem.

Dezrat
03-05-2017, 11:16 AM
Looks like sgm didnt pay the glock fee to make them. Wonder how much magpul pays glock to make their version of glock mags

Neither SGM or Magpul are paying Glock anything. The mag design has been open public domain for about a decade and a half now. Patents long expired.

Scratch705
03-05-2017, 1:42 PM
Neither SGM or Magpul are paying Glock anything. The mag design has been open public domain for about a decade and a half now. Patents long expired.

ah, so it is just the "glock magazine" on the the packaging that is getting them in hot water.

Dezrat
03-05-2017, 4:10 PM
ah, so it is just the "glock magazine" on the the packaging that is getting them in hot water.

Apparently so. More info is popping up about this around the net, and the opinions of 2 Patent and Trademark attorneys I know and have commented about it both feel it was the work of some over zealous Customs agents that may already have blown over or if not likely will. We'll see.
I have bought 4 SGM mags over the last couple years and all have come in that very same packaging according to the photos floating around.

The Firearms Blog article that Guns.com reposted misstates what the thing is all about pretty big time with the "fake Glock Mags" bit and all, when you compare what they say with the accompanying release from Customs concerning it, but The Firearms Blog has always been kind of the National Enquirer of firearms news outlets...

M1NM
03-05-2017, 6:32 PM
Fake news ----- er mags

71MUSTY
03-05-2017, 6:39 PM
Counterfeit = 19 round mags clearly marked 10 round on the side.

Wouldn't that b nice.

Dezrat
03-05-2017, 9:10 PM
Counterfeit = 19 round mags clearly marked 10 round on the side.

Wouldn't that b nice.

Would be nice, or maybe not...
The case of mags in the Customs photo are 26rnd .45ACP mags, which I guess are a "counterfeit" of something Glock has never produced...:facepalm:

CandG
03-05-2017, 9:27 PM
My first thought was, "Good, there's absolutely no good that can come from people buying Glock-branded magazines that were actually made by god-knows-who". But now I see that they are just 3rd-party branded magazines for Glocks, and not counterfeit at all. So that makes it bad news. Not that I was going to buy any of them, but still. I wonder what reason CBP used for seizing them? Honestly it could be something as simple as someone filling out the customs paperwork wrong. Or it could be that the importer lied about the value, or the contents of the packages. We may never know...

Dezrat
03-06-2017, 6:01 AM
My first thought was, "Good, there's absolutely no good that can come from people buying Glock-branded magazines that were actually made by god-knows-who". But now I see that they are just 3rd-party branded magazines for Glocks, and not counterfeit at all. So that makes it bad news. Not that I was going to buy any of them, but still. I wonder what reason CBP used for seizing them? Honestly it could be something as simple as someone filling out the customs paperwork wrong. Or it could be that the importer lied about the value, or the contents of the packages. We may never know...

Yea, appears customs was assessing the text of "Glock Magazine" on the packaging to be a claim of origin as opposed to a descriptor of fit and function. The issue was the wording on the Package. I'm betting SGM will likely prevail here.
The bad part about this kind of thing is that now a whole bunch of retailers will be tormented by customers fearing that the Mags they got that even have the Glock trade mark on the actual mag may not be "real".
Remember, it was The Firearms Blog that "broke" the "big news" a few years ago about "All Plumcrazy polymer lowers found to be illegal". Caused a whole bunch of grief for owners and retailers, and turned out to be completely false news. Anything for website clicks I guess.

aolis110
03-06-2017, 5:27 PM
About six years ago, the Customs web site showed a pallet full of fake Eotechs from China. They looked authentic along with the packaging.

CandG
03-06-2017, 6:36 PM
About six years ago, the Customs web site showed a pallet full of fake Eotechs from China. They looked authentic along with the packaging.

Ya, that's the kind of crap we really WANT customs to catch and confiscate. No good can come from cheap chinese counterfeit optics.

I still frequently see fake ACOGs sold around online - they are usually labeled as fake in the ads (thankfully), but they would definitely pass as real for many unsuspecting people. I mean, they even have all the proper trijicon silkscreening and everything, I think the only way to know at a glance is the lack of tritium. No doubt many people have bought the chinese counterfeit ones and hawked them on ebay for 20x markup.

Remember the old saying folks - "If the price is too good to be true, it came from Guangdong China in a container". Or something like that. I might be paraphrasing.

Garand1911
03-08-2017, 12:48 AM
Lets read and understand the whole story before going off. It sounds like SGM messed up, and didn't fix it, fixing it might cost more than importing newer corrected ones.
There is no anti-gun in this story.
Theft of Intellectual Property Rights is a billion dollar industry.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The importation of the magazines with the Glock trademark on the packaging was found to be unauthorized and in violation of the registered trademark, said Mark Varga, CBP spokesman.

The company was given the opportunity to make alterations. However, alterations were not completed and the shipment was seized for violation of the Glock trademark. "