PDA

View Full Version : Ca handgun roster help!! Browning Hi power Mkiii

StillKicking
02-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Hi everyone, glad to be a part of this great community! Maybe someone here with more knowledge than me can help a fellow calgunner out? I recently won an auction on Gunbroker for a Browning Hi power Mkiii manufactured 1999. I talked to my ffl dealer here and he said he would only accept delivery if it was sku#051001393 which is on roster. The ffl from Maryland doesnt have the box or paperwork and says he cannot confirm if that is the correct sku. Ive asked him in an email for the serial number so that I can try and see if that will help determining if it is eligible to import here. My question(s) are does that sku# which is for the mkiii hi power encompass all years of manufacture or just new hi powers from lets say last year? And also would I be able to confirm the sku number by the guns serial#? Its been really confusing for me to try and work out the laws here, please someone help me out!

JackRydden224
02-24-2017, 10:48 AM
At this point you are better off finding another FFL who will take the transfer or find another seller.

From what you are describing the seller and your FFL are at odds because one cannot provide the SKU # and the other will only transfer for you if you have the exact same SKU #.

What you don't want is for the seller to ship it and the FFL rejects your transfer.

Hi everyone, glad to be a part of this great community! Maybe someone here with more knowledge than me can help a fellow calgunner out? I recently won an auction on Gunbroker for a Browning Hi power Mkiii manufactured 1999. I talked to my ffl dealer here and he said he would only accept delivery if it was sku#051001393 which is on roster. The ffl from Maryland doesnt have the box or paperwork and says he cannot confirm if that is the correct sku. Ive asked him in an email for the serial number so that I can try and see if that will help determining if it is eligible to import here. My question(s) are does that sku# which is for the mkiii hi power encompass all years of manufacture or just new hi powers from lets say last year? And also would I be able to confirm the sku number by the guns serial#? Its been really confusing for me to try and work out the laws here, please someone help me out!

StillKicking
02-24-2017, 11:02 AM
Thank you for the quick response! Even if I were to find another dealer that would accept delivery for me, in order for them to transfer to me doesnt it have to be proven that it is in fact that sku# which is on roster? Can anybody confirm whether or not that sku# is for a particular year(s) or just all mkiii's? Where can I find out what particular guns fall under that sku? Also, will the serial number match up with that sku? Get one question answered and it opens up several more..

-hanko
02-24-2017, 2:27 PM
Thank you for the quick response! Even if I were to find another dealer that would accept delivery for me, in order for them to transfer to me doesnt it have to be proven that it is in fact that sku# which is on roster? Can anybody confirm whether or not that sku# is for a particular year(s) or just all mkiii's? Where can I find out what particular guns fall under that sku? Also, will the serial number match up with that sku? Get one question answered and it opens up several more..
Email or call Browning in Utah?

Che762x39
02-24-2017, 3:20 PM

Best answer.

I googled that sku# and that should be CA compliant. Check out this link.

https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/051001393?upc_only=1&is_firearms_wikiarms=0

The BHP is the first new handgun I ever bought and I still use it every month or so for 35+ years. You will enjoy it. :oji:

Bainter1212
02-24-2017, 3:31 PM
The BHP doesn't have a SKU listed on the roster. It is listed by model, barrel length, caliber and material made with only.
Find a better FFL

Edit: I was wrong. There is a SKU for Browning branded HPs. FN branded ones have no SKU

StillKicking
02-25-2017, 8:16 AM
I will, great idea!
Best answer.

I googled that sku# and that should be CA compliant. Check out this link.
Yes that sku is a Ca approved sku, i just cant confirm whether or not the gun im buying is that sku
https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/051001393?upc_only=1&is_firearms_wikiarms=0

The BHP is the first new handgun I ever bought and I still use it every month or so for 35+ years. You will enjoy it. :oji:
Looking forward to it!
The BHP doesn't have a SKU listed on the roster. It is listed by model, barrel length, caliber and material made with only.
Find a better FFL

Edit: I was wrong. There is a SKU for Browning branded HPs. FN branded ones have no SKU
I have the serial number for the gun now and I know that it is indeed a 1999 BHP MKiii, just need to contact Browning and see if maybe that matches with the sku#

rdtompki
02-25-2017, 8:32 AM
Am I missing something? This is an older gun essentially owned by a private party. On the roster or not, how can you purchase it from an out of state seller?

StillKicking
02-25-2017, 8:41 AM
Am I missing something? This is an older gun essentially owned by a private party. On the roster or not, how can you purchase it from an out of state seller?

Im buying it from Gunbroker. The seller is an ffl in Maryland who got it as a trade in. Essentially the ffl in Maryland would be shipping it to an ffl over here and then transferring to me. As far as I know this is all completely above board and legal.

morrcarr67
02-25-2017, 8:56 AM

Yes.

So long as a gun is listed on the roster it can be bought from OOS from either a dealer or a private party.

The gun must be sent to an in state FFL for transfer. Even if this gun was bought from a private party it would not be a Private Party Transfer and the receiving FFL can and will charge what ever they want to do the transfer. They are also required by law to collect use tax on the value of the gun.

If the gun is off roster it must already be in state and you must meet the seller at a FFL and do a PPT.

rdtompki
02-25-2017, 9:38 AM
Works for me. It is a bit hard to believe that a gun manufactured in 1999 would remain unchanged for almost 20 years, but it is a classic design.